Old July 25th, 2008, 12:09 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman
Default Will Fantasy be stuck at Sea?

I wonder if they will let the Fantasy dock when she returns since they closed the river in NOLA due to yesterdays oil spill. I heard she may go to Mobile.

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog
Old July 25th, 2008, 12:23 PM
Admiral

Default Mobile it is...

Looks like they just made it official and the Fantasy will be going to Mobile in the morning.

Old July 25th, 2008, 12:28 PM
Admiral

Hmmmmm, so let's see, that means that those embarking will have to get to Mobile! Don't you know the Carnival personnel just love these days!
Mariner of the Seas

HAL Statendam Alaska Cruise Tour - 09/09/12; Disney Magic - 12/01/12; Allure of the Seas - 05/26/13
Old July 25th, 2008, 12:28 PM
Admiral

Mobile is the plan....as of this morning.

However, Carnival is asking everyone on the 26th cruise to come to New Orleans as planned...since that is where they intend to return!!

Not fun...but hopefully folks will make the best out of this inconvenience.

If it is Carnival and it floats....we have sailed it!

Hubby ... DIAMOND (every ship except the Carnivale)
Me ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale)
20 year old son ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale...he is the only DOUBLE Milestone under the age of 21)
24 year old son ... DIAMOND
Old July 27th, 2008, 03:25 PM
Captain

Looks like it went off without a hitch. Carnival picked up the Fantasy passengers and luggage in Mobile and bussed them to NO. Then they busses the new boarding passengers and luggage from NO to Mobile to board. They plan on docking back in NO next week, so the passengers needed to park their cars their. This had to be a huge undertaking for Carnival to arrange busses for this many passengers both ways and to get everything taken care of in a timely manner though.

People who were interveiwed here said that they had no problems with the situation.
2005 Holiday, Sensation, Conquest,
2006 Conquest, Celebration, Holiday,
2007 Freedom Grand Med, Holiday
2008 Fantasy & Sensation,
2009 Fantasy, Holiday & Dream Grand Med
2010 Fantasy and B2B Elation
2011 Monarch of the Seas
2012 Booked - Breeze from Barcelona 12 days
Old July 27th, 2008, 03:35 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothin but blue skies
Looks like it went off without a hitch. Carnival picked up the Fantasy passengers and luggage in Mobile and bussed them to NO. Then they busses the new boarding passengers and luggage from NO to Mobile to board. They plan on docking back in NO next week, so the passengers needed to park their cars their. This had to be a huge undertaking for Carnival to arrange busses for this many passengers both ways and to get everything taken care of in a timely manner though.

People who were interveiwed here said that they had no problems with the situation.
That's good to hear.

A friend of mine is a Carnival Rep in New Orleans and he said the last bus to Mobile left at 4PM. He said things went pretty smoothly on their end.

Carnival provided a box lunch for the trip to Mobile.

20 year old son ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale...he is the only DOUBLE Milestone under the age of 21)
Old July 27th, 2008, 04:12 PM
Admiral

Thanks for the update.

Old July 27th, 2008, 04:53 PM
First Mate

Even with all of what happened I would still have to say that this was still a good cruise. Then again I have never been on a cruise that I didn't like.

Read and post cruise reviews
Read and post cruise reviews

Fascination 01/02
Imagination 07/02
Glory 07/04
Glory 12/04
Valor 12/05
Miracle 08/06
Fascination 10/06
Triumph 06/07
Inspiration 11/07
Destiny 08/08 (VIP Status)
Inspiration 11/09 (VIP Status)
Inspiration 10/10 (VIP Status)
Destiny 10/11 (VIP Status)
Enchantment of the Seas(RC)04/13
Dream 07/13
Old July 27th, 2008, 06:41 PM
Admiral

At least Carnival took care of everybody. Of course, some will fuss but you can't make everybody happy.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old July 27th, 2008, 08:32 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Ainsley

the same exact thing happened to me except it wasnt an oil spill 2 barges collided and people were killed. this was back in 04' when i went on the conquest. the ship docked in gulf port, ms. we missed a port of call and then skipped another due to rough seas. so that cruise was extremely messed up. i went during mardi gras on the conquest so it was extremely hard to find buses to shuttle us from nola to gulf port. we recieved $200 obc per person and then 50% off the next cruise. i arrived at the terminal in nola at 9am and didnt get shuttled until around 10pm that night. it was a total mess. =( we arrived home in nola and we then rebooked the conquest for a year later and everything went great. so its something completely unavoidable and carnival is very experienced with that matter =) living in mobile i was very excited to see the fantasy in the port instead of the holiday. im hoping that carnival will soon move the fantasy to mobile =)
Carnival Conquest-02.22.04
Carnival Conquest-02.06.05
Carnival Legend-3.25.06
Royal Caribbean Sovereign OTS-4.16.07
Carnival Fantasy 4.28.08
Carnival Fantasy 10.27.08
Norwegian Pearl 3.13.11
Carnival Elation 11.14.11

Future Cruises
Carnival Ecstasy 5.21.12
Old July 28th, 2008, 08:36 AM
Familiar Face

I remember that same cruise on the Conquest that Ainsley mentioned. We had a family group of 30 passengers and made the best of the situation. Only problem was that Carnival had trouble finding buses because we were sailing the Sunday prior to Mardi Gras and all the buses were already leased out to the large Mardi Gras Parade Clubs. We won't forget the long wait in the Terminal, the traffic in the city, or the cruise. We didn't find out we were returning to New Orleans until the last day at sea of the cruise. Because the river was still closed the day we were in Cozumel. Ricky

Old July 29th, 2008, 03:02 PM
Captain

IHP wrote:
A friend of mine is a Carnival Rep in New Orleans and he said the last bus to Mobile left at 4PM. He said things went pretty smoothly on their end.

Carnival provided a box lunch for the trip to Mobile.rote:

I didn't realize that the last bus to Mobile had left NO that late. Wasn't the ship set to sail at 4:00 pm as usual? What time did they actually get away from Mobile? That's great that everyone had a box lunch though. I know we are always ready to hit the Lido deck for lunch as soon as we board
2011 Monarch of the Seas
Old July 30th, 2008, 03:56 PM
Beginner

Default Miss River at NO closed again

Just saw on the news where the Coast Guard closed two miles of Miss River again, due to more oil leaks. Isn't the Fantasy due back in New Orleans Thursday morning?

They should go ahead and move the ship to Mobile permanently and be done with it.
Old July 30th, 2008, 04:27 PM
Captain

Default Re: Miss River at NO closed again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayak Captain
Just saw on the news where the Coast Guard closed two miles of Miss River again, due to more oil leaks. Isn't the Fantasy due back in New Orleans Thursday morning?

They should go ahead and move the ship to Mobile permanently and be done with it.
I haven't seen that on the news today, but yes the Fantasy is due back tomorrow. Carnival might just have to bite the bullet again and bus everyone back to New Orleans tomorrow.

As far as bringing the Fantasy to Mobile, we are due for a Fantasy Class ship (my bet has always been the Sensation). My TA old me last week to expect an announcement on the Holiday replacement in 30 days. Woo-Hoo!
2011 Monarch of the Seas
Old July 30th, 2008, 07:21 PM
Beginner

Update.....The Coast Guard has reopened the river after a six hour closure, but indicated "that may keep happening until the barge can be secured".
Old July 30th, 2008, 11:43 PM
Admiral

Does anyone know where the Holiday is going? That was my first Carnival cruise ship. Bob
Old July 31st, 2008, 11:29 AM
Captain

According to an article in the Mobile Register this morning, the Fantasy was to be back in Mobile at 6:00 am today and will sail out at 6:00 pm today. The article says that they will use 60 buses owned or chartered by Carnival. The officials plan to follow the same drill as last week.

At least, if they had any kinks at all last week, they will know how to prepare for them today. This also gives Carnival and its New Orleans passengers a chance to see the Mobile Terminal operation, which is one of the best around, and to see that Mobile can handle a larger ship. Bring 'em on, Carnival - we are ready for a bigger ship in Mobile!

As for the Holiday, I have read that she will be retired from the Carnival fleet. She is a great ship and has served us well, but it is hard to compete with the newer, larger ships.
2011 Monarch of the Seas
Old July 31st, 2008, 12:23 PM
Beginner

While I would love sailing out of Mobile, a 5 hour drive for me, I'm really not interested in a cruise of less than 7 days. Hopefully, whatever Carnival brings in will offer a 1 week cruise. In the meantime, y'all need to get RCCL interested in sailing out of Mobile.
Old July 31st, 2008, 11:45 PM
Admiral

Too bad they couldn't have returned to NOLA as scheduled. Very difficult for all.

Old August 1st, 2008, 04:01 PM
Captain

Quote:
While I would love sailing out of Mobile, a 5 hour drive for me, I'm really not interested in a cruise of less than 7 days. Hopefully, whatever Carnival brings in will offer a 1 week cruise. In the meantime, y'all need to get RCCL interested in sailing out of Mobile.
A few months back the Mobile Register had an article related to bringing in a larger ship. That article said, that when a larger ship was brought in, we would be getting only 7 day cruises. There are pros and cons on this to us. A longer itinerary would (hopefully) give us different ports of call than the Cozumel/CostaMaya/Calica/Progresso ports that we have all done many times, but everyone can't take a full 7 day cruise as often as we can a 4 or 5 day cruise including a weekend. I do hope that we will get a new port or two, though.
2011 Monarch of the Seas
Old August 1st, 2008, 04:49 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothin but blue skies
Quote:
A few months back the Mobile Register had an article related to bringing in a larger ship. That article said, that when a larger ship was brought in, we would be getting only 7 day cruises. There are pros and cons on this to us. A longer itinerary would (hopefully) give us different ports of call than the Cozumel/CostaMaya/Calica/Progresso ports that we have all done many times, but everyone can't take a full 7 day cruise as often as we can a 4 or 5 day cruise including a weekend. I do hope that we will get a new port or two, though.

Another benefit to a ship that does 4/5/5 as opposed to one 7 day cruise is that the port gets more port fees since more "bodies" are moving through twice a week instead of once. Also means more hotel rooms booked and more parking fees collected.

Old August 1st, 2008, 05:00 PM
Captain

[quote="lhp

Another benefit to a ship that does 4/5/5 as opposed to one 7 day cruise is that the port gets more port fees since more "bodies" are moving through twice a week instead of once. Also means more hotel rooms booked and more parking fees collected.[/quote]

Good Point. I understand the port fees and hotel rooms, but if the parking fees are calculated on a "per day" basis, you would most likely have the the same number of cars every day that the ship is at sea (on full sailings). However, the sailing may not be full capacity with a 7 day only itinerary.

I would be interested to hear from those who sail regularly out of New Orleans on the 5/5/4 trips that also did the previous 7 day trips from New Orleans. Did it seem that there were as many fully booked sailings when it was 7 day only as with the 5/5/4 itinerary?
2011 Monarch of the Seas
Old August 1st, 2008, 06:20 PM
Captain

8-1-08
Carnival Fantasy Aug. 4 Cruise to End in Mobile, Ala
Due to the ongoing issue on the Mississippi River, the current voyage of the 2,056-passenger Carnival Fantasy will end in Mobile, Ala., on Monday, August 4, instead of its regular homeport of New Orleans. Disembarking guests will be provided complimentary motorcoach transportation back to the Port of New Orleans or the New Orleans airport.

Carnival Fantasy's next five-day cruise, set to depart on Monday, August 4, will also depart from Mobile. Carnival will provide complimentary motorcoach transportation from New Orleans' Erato Street cruise terminal to Mobile.

All guests for the next voyage are instructed to proceed to the Port of New Orleans to board a motorcoach to Mobile, because at the end of the cruise, the Fantasy is expected to return to New Orleans. The only exception would be individuals who are being dropped off and not leaving a car and prefer to proceed on their own to Mobile.
2011 Monarch of the Seas