Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 28th, 2009, 12:39 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via ICQ to LeeandKelli
Default Progresso Mexico Beaches..

Hi everyone;

We are looking at booking a cruise that stops at Progresso, Mexico. We like beaches and snorkeling. I see Carnival offers a shore tour called Corona Beach Break for about 40.00 p/p. Are there beaches right near the ship or is this a good shore tour to book? We would like something where we could buy a drink or two and lounge around. 8)

Any help would be appreciated!

Lee & Kelli
Old January 28th, 2009, 08:10 AM
Captain

Progresso is not the best port IMHO. Look at it on Google maps and it will give you an idea of this port. The ship docks about 5 mi. out on this very long pier. They have buses that take you into Progresso for free. In progresso there are beaches, but the water is usually murky. We went on a tour into Merida. It was just OK. You can still hang out at the beach, and have a good time, just not great snokeling.

I am sure there is someone else here with more info. Enjoy what ever you do.
Gary I.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&tab=wl
Glory Western 2-07
Ecstasy 01-08
Ecstasy Feb. 1st. & Feb. 6th. 2010 B to B
Freedom 12-12-10
Freedom 09-24-11
Triumph 09-10-12
Triumph 09-15-12
Triumph 09-23-13
Triumph 09-28-13

Old January 28th, 2009, 10:46 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Progresso Mexico Beaches..

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeandKelli
Hi everyone;

We are looking at booking a cruise that stops at Progresso, Mexico. We like beaches and snorkeling. I see Carnival offers a shore tour called Corona Beach Break for about 40.00 p/p. Are there beaches right near the ship or is this a good shore tour to book? We would like something where we could buy a drink or two and lounge around. 8)

Lee & Kelli
We have been to Progresso many times and this is a port that you can easily do on your own. No need for a Carnival tour to go to the beach.

When you step off the ship....you will walk through a little "village" (some shops and a couple of tent bars)....you will get on a FREE shuttle bus that will take you into town.

The FREE shuttle bus drops you off at a straw market.
If you walk to the corner...take a left ...you will see the water and beach at the end of this road.

When you walk to the beach you will see a "beach club" where the road bends to the right.... this is where Carnival would have sent you for $40 and you can get there for free.

I don't know what else the $40 covers...but if you just want to have a beer or two...this is the cheapest way to go.

This road continues along the beach. Hubby and I walked it earlier this month....all the way to the end. There are some older homes that are kinda cool looking at the end. One word of warning...there is a large yellow building on the beach that is run (or owned) by an American.
While it looks very nice and clean (and I am sure it is) ....there have been many complaints about this place padding their bill.

This guy is outside "hawking" his place all day about clean restrooms, toilets with real toilet seats and toilet paper...and apparently people trust him because he is an American. So be aware....

Another neat thing to do is pay $2 per person and take the 20 minute tour on the double decker bus. It just gives you a nice informational tour of Progresso and some history. And it is only $2!

You can also get massages on the beach for $10 -15 dollars for like 30 minutes so something like that.

Unfortunately, this is not the "clear, blue Caribbean water" kinda beach...
the water will be murky...so do not plan this as your "beach day"...

but there are several good places to grab a beer and enjoy the sun and sand.

If it is Carnival and it floats....we have sailed it!

Hubby ... DIAMOND (every ship except the Carnivale)
Me ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale)
20 year old son ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale...he is the only DOUBLE Milestone under the age of 21)
24 year old son ... DIAMOND
Old January 28th, 2009, 11:11 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

Progreso

thank you.

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old January 28th, 2009, 11:33 AM
Admiral

On our first trip we took the Corona Beach Break excursion. The only thing you get for the $40 is free beer. It is unlikely you will drink $80 worth of beer. As described above the free bus is the way to go. 8)
56 Carnival: Mardi Gras, Ecstasy X2, Fascination X6, Celebration, Elation X5, Glory X5, Fantasy X4, Valor, Holiday X3, Imagination, Liberty, Spirit X2, Freedom, Destiny X2, Splendor X2, Dream X2, Conquest, Legend X3, Victory, Sensation, Paradise, Inspiration, Magic X2, Triumph, Miracle X2, Breeze, Sunshine X3
7 Norwegian: Sky, Jewel, Dawn, Epic, Pearl, Breakaway, Getaway
7 Windjammer: S/V Legacy X3, S/V Polynesia, S/V Caledonia, S/V Diamant, S/V Sagitta
HAL Statendam
Old January 28th, 2009, 11:48 AM
Admiral

It's not the place to snorkel. It's the Gulf of Mexico not the Caribbean.

I will say I have seen the water here anywhere from just OK (similar to Galveston) to very beautiful.

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old January 29th, 2009, 03:43 PM
Captain

Default Re: Progresso Mexico Beaches..

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhp
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeandKelli
Hi everyone;

Lee & Kelli
This road continues along the beach. Hubby and I walked it earlier this month....all the way to the end. There are some older homes that are kinda cool looking at the end. One word of warning...there is a large yellow building on the beach that is run (or owned) by an American.
While it looks very nice and clean (and I am sure it is) ....there have been many complaints about this place padding their bill.

This guy is outside "hawking" his place all day about clean restrooms, toilets with real toilet seats and toilet paper...and apparently people trust him because he is an American. So be aware....

Another neat thing to do is pay $2 per person and take the 20 minute tour on the double decker bus. It just gives you a nice informational tour of Progresso and some history. And it is only $2!

You can also get massages on the beach for $10 -15 dollars for like 30 minutes so something like that.

Unfortunately, this is not the "clear, blue Caribbean water" kinda beach...
the water will be murky...so do not plan this as your "beach day"...

but there are several good places to grab a beer and enjoy the sun and sand.

We just returned from the Fantasy cruise to Progreso and Cozumel this morning. We have been to Cozumel many times, but this was our 4th visit to Progreso. I have to say that each time we visit, the port is nicer and cleaner. We feel very safe there and usually just go on our own, although there are several excursions to Merida and the Mayan ruins available through Carnival and in town. Those that are booked in town, as you exit the shuttle bus are just as good as Carnival's but cheaper.

We did go to the restaurant mentioned above (the big yellow building) and spoke with the "American" - he is not the owner, but we went based on his recommendations. The food was good, the restaurant and restrooms were very clean and nicely decorated. It is a fun experience and our bill was not padded at all. We ordered a Pina Colada and a Strawberry daquiri. They brought each of us two small drinks. The drinks came with chips, bean dip, a very good salsa and another appetizer (I don't know what is was called). We then asked for the melted cheese dip. It was delivered in a medium sized bowl with a few soft tortillas for us to make wraps.

Our total bill, including an 18% tip came to $14 US. We did not feel that this was at all expensive and even added another $6 tip for our waiter. I had planned on posting a recommendation for this place when we returned and even got an e-mail address for them. (They also have a real estae office).

I have not unpacked yet, so I don't have his card with me, but the sign in front of the restaurant said "El Mirada" - I asked about this and found that it was not the name of the restaurant - that was a disco club upstairs which was open on Friday and Saturday nights. That would be an easy way to find the restaurant though.

We also recommend the $2 double decker bus to get your bearings around town and a beach massage. We each go a 55 minute massage for $15 each and it was great.

We spent a little time there this time in the local market area which was full of fresh fruits, veggies, flowers etc and found it very interesting. We made a little foray through their supermarket (their version of Wal-mart) just to see what was offered there. We always find this interesting when visiting other countries.

I have never cared for Progreso in the past, but I did enjoy it this time. They are improving it each time. I just hope it doesn't get as commercial as Cozumel.
2005 Holiday, Sensation, Conquest,
2006 Conquest, Celebration, Holiday,
2007 Freedom Grand Med, Holiday
2008 Fantasy & Sensation,
2009 Fantasy, Holiday & Dream Grand Med
2010 Fantasy and B2B Elation
2011 Monarch of the Seas
2012 Booked - Breeze from Barcelona 12 days
Old February 1st, 2009, 11:13 AM
Admiral

I did not say they padded EVERY bill.....

I said there have been way to many reports to ignore of this happening at this establishment...so folks need to be forewarned.

Just because it did not happen to you does not mean it has never happened and folks need to be aware.....

20 year old son ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale...he is the only DOUBLE Milestone under the age of 21)
Old February 2nd, 2009, 12:56 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhp

I said there have been way to many reports to ignore of this happening at this establishment...so folks need to be forewarned.

Just because it did not happen to you does not mean it has never happened and folks need to be aware.....
And I didn't say they DIDN'T. I just said that ours was not padded and we had a nice experience there. That was the only time we have been there and I have not heard of any complaints except this one. Was your bill padded there? I am sure that this probably happens frequently when people are not familiar with currency conversions in foreign countries.
2005 Holiday, Sensation, Conquest,
2006 Conquest, Celebration, Holiday,
2007 Freedom Grand Med, Holiday
2008 Fantasy & Sensation,
2009 Fantasy, Holiday & Dream Grand Med
2010 Fantasy and B2B Elation
2011 Monarch of the Seas
2012 Booked - Breeze from Barcelona 12 days
Old February 2nd, 2009, 11:13 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothin but blue skies
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhp

And I didn't say they DIDN'T. I just said that ours was not padded and we had a nice experience there. That was the only time we have been there and I have not heard of any complaints except this one. Was your bill padded there? I am sure that this probably happens frequently when people are not familiar with currency conversions in foreign countries.
I am on about 10 different cruise forums and 5 of those 10 have had someone (not the same person) complain about this establishment over the course of the past year
Most of the time it is in the written review of their cruise.

It was the same "MO"...the "American" befriends them on the sidewalk...then chats with them while they are in the restaurant ...then "disappears" just before the bill comes.

It happens once...you dismiss it. It happens twice...someone goofed. It happens to 5 different people in the span of a year....you think???????

It had nothing to do with the conversion of currency. One bill was $70.00 (American) for 3 people for lunch.... which was nothing more than nachos and beer....who were there for 2 hours. Grand Cayman isn't that expensive...much less Progreso.

Old February 3rd, 2009, 01:40 AM
Admiral

From my ONE visit to Progresso, if one isn't into history/culture then this isn't the port for you.
Of course I LOVE history/culture so I selected my next cruise in large part due to Progresso. I'm scheduled to celibrate my birthday at the world famous Chichen Itza.

Read and post cruise reviews

Read and post cruise reviews
/ticker.png">
Old April 20th, 2012, 10:54 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Default progresso

has anyone went to a resteraunt called Buddy's if so how is it I have seen it on several progresso web sights and would like to try it if its not to bad of a place
Old April 26th, 2012, 06:30 AM
Familiar Face

Default Progresso

We went to the Myan ruins. That was wonderful.
Old April 28th, 2012, 12:29 PM
Admiral

I've been to Buddy's. I prefer leSaintBonnet.

Come on people.....It's Progreso NOT Progresso.

Progresso is on the Texas border, Progreso is the port in the Yucatan.

Thanking you in advance.

Future Cruises: