Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

View Poll Results: Which excursions to do in Half Moon Cay?
Island Bike Tour 1 16.67%
Parasailing 1 16.67%
Snorkel 4 66.67%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 11th, 2009, 10:29 PM
Passenger

Default POLL: What to do in Half Moon Cay

Going to half moon cay in a few weeks what to do?

Past Cruises:
RCCL Explorer- November 2002
Carnival Valor- March 2005
Carnival Legend- March 2007
RCCL Enchantment- March 2008
Carnival Fascination- March 2009
Sponsored Links
Old March 11th, 2009, 10:48 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

None of the above....we just chillaxed......and that was great!

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old March 12th, 2009, 11:32 AM
First Mate

The centerpiece of Half Moon Cay is the white sand beach. This is a great place to just kick back and relax. Sun bathe and swim and get into the vacation mode before hitting the more active ports. Take your sail and sign because the whole island is set up as an extension of the ship. You can buy drinks from waiters that walk right out into the water to serve you. Beach chairs are free. Sunshades are extra. There is a free Island cookout buffet set up behind the beach. Shopping is limited to a few small shops. There are no real local crafts since this is not a populated island.

The snorkeling is good here, not super but good. There is even decent snorkeling near the rocky end of the swimming area.

I believe the parasailing boats actually pick you up from the ship then run in an area in view of both the ship and the beach. It still leaves a lot of time to enjoy the beach.

There are air conditioned cabanas you can rent. They are expensive but some people like having the buffet food brought in and served by your own butler as well as a stock of drinks.

2012 Carnival Destiny
2011 Carnival Splendor
2011 Carnival Pride
2010 Carnival Legend (w/ Hurricane Paula)
2010 Carnival Imagination
2009 Carnival Valor
2008 Carnival Freedom
2008 Carnival Facination
2007 Carnival Triumph
2006 Carnival Miracle
2005 Carnival Victory
2002 Carnival Imagination
Old March 12th, 2009, 02:09 PM
Admiral

For us it is always a beach day. 8)
58 Carnival: Mardi Gras, Ecstasy X2, Fascination X6, Celebration, Elation X5, Glory X5, Fantasy X4, Valor, Holiday X3, Imagination, Liberty, Spirit X2, Freedom, Destiny X2, Splendor X2, Dream X2, Conquest, Legend X3, Victory, Sensation, Paradise, Inspiration, Magic X3, Triumph X2, Miracle X2, Breeze, Sunshine X3
7 Norwegian: Sky, Jewel, Dawn, Epic, Pearl, Breakaway, Getaway
8 Windjammer: S/V Legacy X3, S/V Polynesia, S/V Caledonia, S/V Diamant, S/V Sagitta X2
HAL Statendam
Old March 12th, 2009, 02:32 PM
First Mate

We like to hang out and drink beer. That is a wonderful excursion for us.
Old March 12th, 2009, 03:52 PM
Admiral

I voted for snorkeling, but what about the horseback riding? That is a great experience. You actually get to ride while the horses swim in the water. Not something that you can experience most places. And, they are really good about beginners and even old folk like me.
Marty
Old March 14th, 2009, 07:43 PM
Beginner

Definately a beach day. Awsome sandy beach. As soon as i could i kicked off my shoes. My DH and I decided to take this as a relaxing beach day. We were there 2-24-09 and it started out cool and very breezy. We decided to go exploring. Walked across the island thru the nature trail. We wound up hiking up to some ruins. This was a highlight for me. Amazing pics!! An experience I will never forget!! There was not very many people hiking. Only 1 other couple we ran into. We were gone about 2 hours. Then we walked back to the beach. We were ready for some r&r after hiking in bathing suits and flip flops. lol. Wanted to get into the ocean but it was cold! we hung around waiting for the other couple we were with to finish their horse back ride. The food was good. I really liked the banana rum cake!!!! After getting our bellies full we soaked up the sun. Finally we got the guts to go swimming. COLD! Their was little fish swimming around my feet. Laid out some more. We went on a lagoon tour. It was kinda neat, our tour guide grabbed a starfish, conch, sand dollar and sea urchin out of the ocean for us to touch. Got history lesson and found out that all the employees take a 1 1/2 ride every morning and evening to work the island. The cruise ship pays for all. This was a great port!!!
Old March 15th, 2009, 07:14 PM
First Mate

RELAX
2004 "Glory"
2004"Victory"
2007 "Liberty"
2007" Explorer of the Seas
2009 "Valor"
2009 "Fascination"
2011 " Pride"
2014 "Adventure of the Seas"
Old March 15th, 2009, 10:06 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by lace06
Definately a beach day. Awsome sandy beach. As soon as i could i kicked off my shoes. My DH and I decided to take this as a relaxing beach day. We were there 2-24-09 and it started out cool and very breezy. We decided to go exploring. Walked across the island thru the nature trail. We wound up hiking up to some ruins. This was a highlight for me. Amazing pics!! An experience I will never forget!! There was not very many people hiking. Only 1 other couple we ran into. We were gone about 2 hours. Then we walked back to the beach. We were ready for some r&r after hiking in bathing suits and flip flops. lol. Wanted to get into the ocean but it was cold! we hung around waiting for the other couple we were with to finish their horse back ride. The food was good. I really liked the banana rum cake!!!! After getting our bellies full we soaked up the sun. Finally we got the guts to go swimming. COLD! Their was little fish swimming around my feet. Laid out some more. We went on a lagoon tour. It was kinda neat, our tour guide grabbed a starfish, conch, sand dollar and sea urchin out of the ocean for us to touch. Got history lesson and found out that all the employees take a 1 1/2 ride every morning and evening to work the island. The cruise ship pays for all. This was a great port!!!

thanks for the help. Quick question where were the ruins that you saw.? I thought that sounded like a cool thing to check out in addition to relaxing on the beach.

Past Cruises:
RCCL Explorer- November 2002
Carnival Valor- March 2005
Carnival Legend- March 2007
RCCL Enchantment- March 2008
Carnival Fascination- March 2009
Old March 16th, 2009, 08:54 AM
Beginner

After you get off the ship, you will go to like a town square. Go straight and you will see a sign and a path. keep walking past the rest rooms. You will hang a right and on the left there is a sign for nature walk. go thru it and then take a right at the end. You cant miss the ruins on the left. There are several paths and they all lead back down to where you started so dont worry about getting lost.