Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 7th, 2009, 10:35 AM
First Mate

Default Leaving Camera Memory Cards With Foreign Merchants

Many of us have left camera memory cards with all of our pictures at a foreign photo shop or with the ship's photo department. On a trip to Europe a couple of our passengers, when they returned to pick up some printed photos from they memory card learned thier memory card had been "lost". Since the ship was sailing that evening there was nothing to do except accept the "loss". With high capacity memory cards selling for sometimes large prices, we have a suggestion. If you plan on getting a few prints made while you are traveling, so you can share with friends on board, think about using a smaller capacity memory card rather than one of the large 8 or16 G cards. Using a 1 G cr (or less) will save you a lot of money and prevent you losing a ton of pictures if the card is misplaced by the photo shop. After all you can't go back tomorrow to see if they found it.Don't do like we did in South America by forgetting to bring extra cards and purchasing locally. We paid about 10 times the price for the same card in the US.
Old July 7th, 2009, 01:45 PM
Admiral

I agree leaving a memory card with anybody is a bad idea. I would encourage you to tell your ship mates to come look at your gallery on Cruise Mates! Or exchange e-mail addresses for more personal pictures.

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014, Regal 2014
Old July 7th, 2009, 08:49 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to misguidedangel

I would NOT leave my memory card for anyone to process the photos. I would wait until I got home and uploaded the photos (and backed them up to a DVD).

You can also, should you opt to have them printed while on vacation, have a MP3 player with a SD card slot and upload them there for added security. I have one with a SD slot and it comes in handy!!

1991 Holiday
2007 Victory & Triumph
2008 Conquest & Liberty
2009 Valor, Freedom, and Splendor
2010 Glory and Liberty
2011 Glory

I gotta go where it's warm.....

Over 40 victim of fate.....
Old July 7th, 2009, 09:21 PM
Admiral

I agree, never leave your memory cards with anyone! better yet, get a cheap netbook, and bring the usb cable for your digital camera, and upload them to your netbook. this way, you have a way to backup your memory card every night. I do that.

Also, make sure to always keep your digicam on you. My brother's was stolen from his luggage and all his photos from his trip with his wife to St Thomas are gone. My digicam is always in my slim, flat over the shoulder bag, I'd never pack it in a suitcase or even a carry on.