Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 11th, 2009, 09:08 PM
Passenger

Default Why the same cruiseline every cruise?

I've noticed through these boards (especially moreso with Carnival) that there are a number of cruisers who have take 10 plus cruises ALL with one cruiseline.

Why is that? Are you afraid to experiment with another?
Are prices that good you won't change for one cruise?

I know we are all creatures of habit, but this sees odd to me.
We've been on four cruises with four different cruiselines. We like the variety and differences with each line.

Just wondering why
Sponsored Links
Old September 11th, 2009, 09:12 PM
Admiral

I have tried a number of cruise lines including some that no longer exist.

Besides best value, larger cabins, better food, etc., etc., one reason I keep cruising on Carnival can be expressed in two words - FREE LAUNDRY...
Old September 11th, 2009, 09:35 PM
Admiral

I like variety too . I've cruised Celebrity, Holland America, Princess, RCCL and Carnival.
But when it comes down to value for your money, I don't think you can beat Carnival and they go just about anywhere you can go in the Caribbean. Later on, when we take longer cruises, we will probably go more on Princess and HAL but right now, we normally sail Carnival and RCCL.
No need to pay considerably more money to go on the same itin. when Carnival will take me there and back in comfort with nice large cabins, good food, modern ships and plenty of perks for less money than some other line that may or may not be any better.
Old September 11th, 2009, 10:07 PM
Admiral

I guess I'll add that I still do occasionally cruise others, usually for a specific itinerary, but Carnival gets the majority of my cruise $$$.
Old September 11th, 2009, 10:35 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Why the same cruiseline every cruise?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabrizzi

Just wondering why
Because they always treat us right.............

Carnival Celebration 09/06/2004
Carnival Elation 08/28/2005
Carnival Conquest 03/05/2006
Carnival Glory 10/07/2006
Carnival Conquest 04/22/2007
Carnival Ecstasy 11/26/2007
Carnival Glory 08/16/2008
Carnival Conquest 12/14/2008
Carnival Ecstasy 04/18/09
Back To Back
Carnival Ecstasy 04/23/09
Carnival Triumph 04/10/10
Old September 12th, 2009, 03:13 AM
Yeoman

NCL is my only option among the main cruiselines because I know that they have no singing waiters and they let me eat with those I choose to eat with.
Old September 12th, 2009, 05:34 AM
First Mate

Because.....You wanted the best and you got the best, the greatest cruise line on the seas - CARNIVAL!!!!

Old September 12th, 2009, 07:20 AM
First Mate

When I can book the same cruises I book with Carnival, for less $$$$, THEN I might try another line....

Right now, I keep getting the same cruise as RCCL or Norweigen for at least a hundred less pp....

Done deal.

Bill
Sept. 18, 2010 -
Sept. 19, 2009 -
Inspiration - Jan. 10, 2010- Grand Cayman, Cozumel
Freedom - February 8th, 2009 - Key West, Grand Cayman, Ocho Rios Jamaica
Glory - September 8th, 2007 - Key West, Cozumel, Progresso, Nassau
Sensation - Freepor-Nassau
Jan. 28th, 2007 -
Sept. 10th, 2006 -
Old September 12th, 2009, 07:29 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I like to go on different cruiselines from time to time. I think, some just have a favorite and stick to that. I too have a favorite, but it doesn't stop me from others as well.

Message Boards Moderator
Old September 12th, 2009, 07:32 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Variety is the spice of life

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old September 12th, 2009, 07:59 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Good question:

I know that many people like the fact that when sailing on one cruise line they know what to expect.

I personally cruise different lines because there is a difference in the overall product but the core products of all cruise lines are the same. I do have cruise lines that I prefer: I.E. NCL, Azamara, Oceania for their open seating, wider range of itineraries with overnight stops and multiple dining choices. Even with that my last two cruises have been with Carnival. The reason for this was that they were last minute cruises, at a low price and with people who were first time cruisers. The singing waiters do bug me but not to the point that I would ever exclude Carnival or Royal Caribbean.

I would feel "cheated" to only cruise on one cruise line because while they are all somewhat the same there are great differences in food, decor, itineraries and activities between all of them.

My goal is to sail all ships and then start over.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old September 12th, 2009, 08:22 AM
Admiral

1) a cruise is a major financial committment for most folks, so it becomes a perception of value for your dollar (you have a high expectation of what you are going to receive)

2) build up loyalty points which makes it easier for special deals and upgrades and bragging rights on this board

3) the larger the cruiseline (i.e. Carnival) the greater the chance of seeing more itineraries

4) one likes what one likes and usually stick to it (comfort zone)

5)if you cruise with kids or new cruisers you will probably stick to one cruise line

6) an advantage of CruiseMates is that by going on CM group cruises you have the opportunity to experience different cruise lines with a large group of online friends

having said all that, I like Mike, like to experiment with all different cruise lines and all different types of cruises (river, barge, charters, windjammers)
Old September 12th, 2009, 08:31 AM
Cruise Maniac

I like Carnival. I like the generous size cabins, and I love the singing waiters. I love the fact that I'm paying less and going to the same ports as other cruiselines. I'm dying to try RCCL, but for now I'm sticking with Carnival.

Sensation '09
Imagination '05
Ecstasy '04
Triumph '02
Old September 12th, 2009, 09:17 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

I have tried other cruise lines. I tried Celebrity and was not terribly impressed. Celebritty was a lot more money too. I tried Home Lines and was reallt impressed but they no longer exist. Such a shame as they had a real nice product.I really like Carnival and have seen the changes for the better over the years. So, "If it ain't broke don't fix it". Carnival delivers a great cruise for the best price.

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old September 12th, 2009, 11:00 AM
Admiral

For me, as a single mom, it's mostly about price. If I had more money to try other more expensive cruiselines I might do that once or twice just to see if the overall experience is any better for the money, but from what I have read and heard, it is not. I'm sticking with Carnival for now.

I did my first with my then 14 year old son in July 07 and will be doing my 2nd this coming March with my mom.
Old September 12th, 2009, 04:43 PM
Admiral

Even though we are Platinum on Carnival, having done way more than 10 cruises with them, I have done a total somewhere between 35 and 40 cruises...on different lines. I have changed my favorite line multiple times over the years. In fact, there was a time when I would not sail on Carnival, back when they really were the party ships and everything else was poorly done.
But, currently, we always have a really good vacation going on Carnival, the price doesn't dent the budget (well, this year a bit). And, they have a lot of options when it comes to ships and itineraries. So, for us, it is a matter of not just a comfort zone, but knowing that we will have a good time. And, a lot of their specialties, like the sushi bar, are things that we truly enjoy.
We still sail HAL at times because of the longer itineraries that go to different ports, but I don't feel as though they are as good as they used to be. Went on NCL again 2 years ago and had a good time, but we like traditional dining.
So, the only thing that will pry us away from Carnival is if they go to only huge ships. We do not enjoy those at all and I have mobility issues.
Marty
Old September 12th, 2009, 06:33 PM
First Mate

We tried other cruise lines for the specific itinerary. We went right back to Carnival, its like home. We like the price, food and entertainment. We have been Platinum with Carnival when there was no Platinum.
Old September 13th, 2009, 08:43 AM
Admiral

I'm pretty much like the last two posters. We've done well over 100 cruises in the past 30 years or so, and of course are Platinum on Carnival, as well as most of the other major lines. Carnival simply offers the most cruise for the buck in my opinion. I never worry about my Carnival cruises,,,I simply know I'm going to have a GREAT time aboard.

"SKY"
Old September 13th, 2009, 10:32 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to chosen175

Having only done 1 cruise so far, I can say that I'm going to be the type of person who sticks with Carnival. We were both in our 30's for our first cruise, and loved the laid-back atmosphere. We looked at several lines when planning our cruise and didn't like the dress code some lines had just to wander the decks. We don't care what type of dishes/china are used, but we want to be able to identify what's on our plates. Carnival had the most variety when it came to entertainment and for the $$ we paid, we were happy with the end product.

Carnival Valor April 2006
Contemplating a cruise wedding in 2010
Old September 13th, 2009, 12:02 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by zydecocruiser
I have tried a number of cruise lines including some that no longer exist.

Besides best value, larger cabins, better food, etc., etc., one reason I keep cruising on Carnival can be expressed in two words - FREE LAUNDRY...
Okay I feel the Free Laundry needs more explaination. If you are a Platinum Carnival cruiser (10 cruises or more) you get free laundry and a couple other past cruiser perks. I don't have 10 cruises I only have 4 Carnival cruises, one Celebrity cruise, one Princess cruise, and one RCL cruise way back in 1994. My experience on Celebrity was not good, on our cruise the food was horrible. We may have been unlucky, but good food is key so no more Celebrity for me. I really like Princess and I would love to try RCL again. However, everytime I compare prices Carnival wins.

They do lack some of the choices out here that Princess and Celebrity had. My Celebrity cruise was an Alaskan cruise from San Francisco, Carnival doesn't have that. Also I would like to take a 14/15 day Hawaiian cruise from San Diego or Los Angeles again Carnival doesn't have this. However, it looks like Cruisemates is planning a Hawaiian cruise in 2011 on Princess and that has defintely peeked my interest. My Carnival Freedom Transatlantic cruise was a cruisemates group cruise and I had a great time.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old September 13th, 2009, 03:27 PM
Captain

I got hooked with Carnival with my first cruise. It was a Richard Simmons Cruise to Lose. The group has many people with special needs. And every one of Richards CTL's have been on Carnival. Carnival is the only line that would book that group with the special needs. After taking several CCL cruises I took one on Royal Carribean. Cabin was so small. Tasteful and well planned but small. The food was nice. But over all I love all that Carnival offers. I'm trying Princess for my next. Never been. But we got a really good rate on a 14 day Hawaii. I'm sure the next will be Carnival again.
7- Sapphire Princess
6-Golden Princess
5-Carnival Paradise
4-Royal Caribbean-Monarch of the Seas
3-Carnival Glory
2-Carnival Spirit-Richard Simmons Cruise to Lose
1-Carnival Inspiration - Richard Simmons Cruise to Lose
Old September 13th, 2009, 05:10 PM
Familiar Face

Send a message via MSN to purpledevilduck
Default Why Carnival

I went on my first cruise on a Carnival ship and am preparing to go on my second. Part of the reason I booked a Carnival cruise over some of the others is because of the price, ports, and a big one for me is that it still has traditional dinning.
Carnival Valor Sept/Oct 2007
Carnival Freedom Jan 2010
Carnival Liberty Feb 2013

Old September 13th, 2009, 07:03 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Ro

I can drive close to home and we like Carnival. We want to get to ten cruises and then try another lines. Carnival has treated us nice.

Inspiration-2004, 2005, 2009
Glory- 4/26/2009
Sensation -4/2007, 10/2009
2/2010 & 11/3/2011
Old September 14th, 2009, 01:00 AM
Yeoman

A printed brochure is also important for me. I can book the cruise on the net and search for information on the net but it's when I sit in my garden and look in a cruisebrochure, I'm in heaven!

When we should book our first cruise the brochures from RCI and NCL was what we could get from our TA and since there are no prices in the RCI brochure (except from a lowest price for the cheapest cabin on the cheapest date, not very usefull), the choice was easy. We also see no reason to change because we know what we have but not what we might get! As long as we are happy with NCL, why change?
Old September 14th, 2009, 07:48 AM
Cruise Maniac

It's simple..."if it ain't broke, don't fix it"!

Conquest 6/05
Triumph 2/06
Holiday 5/06
Miracle 2/07
Glory 6/07
Holiday 2/08
Holiday 2/08 (B2B)
Legend 1/09
Spirit 5/09
Holiday 8/09
Triumph 12/09
Valor 5/10
Old September 14th, 2009, 11:29 AM
Admiral

Our 18 year old son has Autism and is comfortable on Carnival.

So while I would LOVE to sail them all....we are currently staying with Carnival until he is comfortable moving to another line.

In two weeks....he will be sailing on his 32nd Carnival cruise.

If it is Carnival and it floats....we have sailed it!

Hubby ... DIAMOND (every ship except the Carnivale)
Me ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale)
20 year old son ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale...he is the only DOUBLE Milestone under the age of 21)
24 year old son ... DIAMOND
Old September 14th, 2009, 01:06 PM
First Mate

Carnival was our first cruise (Jubilee to Alaska a long time ago ). We liked Carnival then and now some 7 cruises later (8th in Nov 09) we still prefer Carnival. Have done RCCL and Princess. RCCL was nice but expensive. Princess was a little too stuffy for us. And both lines had smaller cabins. As Chjris64 said (If it ain't broke, why fix it!). And I guess it is alos kinda' like an old pair of jeans. They just fit right 8)

Need some cruise help?
Old September 14th, 2009, 11:24 PM
First Mate

I guess its the same as "why the same make of car every time?" If you find something you like, Why change?
2004 "Glory"
2004"Victory"
2007 "Liberty"
2007" Explorer of the Seas
2009 "Valor"
2009 "Fascination"
2011 " Pride"
2014 "Adventure of the Seas"
Old September 15th, 2009, 11:13 AM
First Mate

For those of you who are interested in perks you might look at Holland as they have totally revamped and in particular those with 75 days which would equate to roughly 10 Carnival cruises.My advice is to try all the main line cruise companies and then make your choice as to those who deserve a repeat visit.We have sailed on at least 10 different lines and found something very nice on all of them. Have not tried the more expensive lines as we would rather take two to three additional cruises for the same money.Would also suggest cruise to different parts of the world as this is great way to visit different ports.
Old September 15th, 2009, 01:32 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris64
It's simple..."if it ain't broke, don't fix it"!
You took the words right out of my mouth....

Of course for the right price I can be bought...
Carnival-Splendor Sept 6, 2009