CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Carnival Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/)
-   -   Have you ever had a scary moment on a cruise ship? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/368511-have-you-ever-had-scary-moment-cruise-ship.html)

glenda55 October 4th, 2009 09:33 PM

Have you ever had a scary moment on a cruise ship?
 
Just wondering if you have you ever had a scary moment on a cruise ship?

jdh October 4th, 2009 09:53 PM

My husband and I were on the Mariner of the Seas, when it used to leave from Florida. The crew was doing a fire type drill and they rang the ship bells. These were same warning signal that are supposed to sound when you have to report to your muster station. Well, that would not have been a big deal except they did not inform the passengers that they were doing a drill. Here we are in the middle of the ocean, and the alarms go off which tell people to report to their muster stations for an emergency. It was not a fun sight to see surprised, confused and bewildered passengers heading to their muster stations! They then went on the PA system, apologized and told all it was a drill!

Must admit as much as we all think the muster station drill is a pain, the location and instructions do stay with you. We knew exactly where to go. Granted my husband and I did not have our life preservers with us, but we moved toward our station.

rosetattoo October 4th, 2009 10:41 PM

Absolutely, riding out Hurricane Wilma on the Carnival Fascination, OMG!!!

bobsfamily October 5th, 2009 03:52 AM

WOW YES!!!!
It came out of the blue one morning... they FORCED me off the ship!

Er... it was at the home port... LOL

skymaster October 5th, 2009 08:34 AM

Yep,,,every time I perform in front of 1500 people in the "Carnival Legends" show, or the passengers talent show. It's scary,,,,,but it lots and lots of fun as well. Try it,,,you'll like it. 8)

"SKY"

dina October 5th, 2009 10:23 AM

I thought I was going to faint when I realized I didn't have my sail and sign card on me... I felt like a dock when I realize I had left it in the casino in a slot machine. I checked on my balance right away. :oops:

Thoth October 5th, 2009 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skymaster
Yep,,,every time I perform in front of 1500 people in the "Carnival Legends" show, or the passengers talent show. It's scary,,,,,but it lots and lots of fun as well. Try it,,,you'll like it. 8)

"SKY"

what goes on vacation STAYS on vacation ! :wink:
I was Elvis twice on cruises with another line. For Carnival's guest show they actually make you SING ! Imagine that :shock: . No talent = no talent show :cry: While 'performing" as Elvis I was allowed to lip-sync, but I had to make up for it by dancing around like a putz.
The lip sync shtick worked better anyway. On the Carnival Legends show most "performers" stood there like a statue....not REAL funny. :-?

Thoth October 5th, 2009 11:29 AM

Scary moment? YEAH....like 12 September 09 when the !@#$% ship almost left me. :x

katlady October 5th, 2009 12:53 PM

On my Alaskan cruise we were in Victoria and my hubby left his wallet in the cab. His wallet had his money and his sail and sign card. I was hopping mad at him. :x I told him I was leaving him there. LOL We got lucky and my hubby remembered the cab company. We got his wallet back with everything still in it. Which was nice for my hubby cause he didn't get left in Canada.

Dave the Wave October 5th, 2009 01:09 PM

Yes, when I get my final bill under my door! :twisted:

Master Chief October 5th, 2009 01:19 PM

Yes Dave, that usually is the scariest (that's the way word spell said to spell it. I am really spelling challenged without word spell :oops: ) moment when they deliver the S&S bill and have to use a jack hammer to get it under the door :D Just kidding. No scary moments yet but I am sure there will be one sometime. Its bound to happen to all of us.

Ford_Racing_Ron October 5th, 2009 01:23 PM

I was on HAL's Eurodam. We had just left St Petersberg and were having a sea day heading to Finland. The day prior was the day that Russia invaded Georgia. On the morning of the sea day we were watching CNN and they were doing war coverage (CNN London) and stating the the Russians were targeting everything and had blown up a tourist hotel near the Georgia capital. That after noon we were in our cabin and heard a loud roar outside. We went on our balcony and going past our ship at pretty slow speed was a Russian fighter jet. We were in shipping lanes and this fighter was going by every ship and I think looking at the flags. It buzzed us,,went past us then came back for another pass (it was passing us stern to bow). Then it went high into the sky, turned around, and came at us head on. It thought for sure we were going to get hit, but it went past us then took off straight up into the sky.

In retorspect sinking a cruise ship with primarily American, British and Canadian passengers was probably not on this guys mind, but it was pretty scary at the time.

Thoth October 6th, 2009 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ford_Racing_Ron
I was on HAL's Eurodam. We had just left St Petersberg and were having a sea day heading to Finland. The day prior was the day that Russia invaded Georgia. On the morning of the sea day we were watching CNN and they were doing war coverage (CNN London) and stating the the Russians were targeting everything and had blown up a tourist hotel near the Georgia capital. That after noon we were in our cabin and heard a loud roar outside. We went on our balcony and going past our ship at pretty slow speed was a Russian fighter jet. We were in shipping lanes and this fighter was going by every ship and I think looking at the flags. It buzzed us,,went past us then came back for another pass (it was passing us stern to bow). Then it went high into the sky, turned around, and came at us head on. It thought for sure we were going to get hit, but it went past us then took off straight up into the sky.

In retorspect sinking a cruise ship with primarily American, British and Canadian passengers was probably not on this guys mind, but it was pretty scary at the time.

I can only imagine. :shock:

sistagoldenhair October 6th, 2009 12:59 PM

My scary moment came when I woke up and realized my jeans were packed and I had to leave the ship in my blue and white polka dot pajama bottoms!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was so upset, but had to get over it quick because I had to board a bus to the airport, where I located my jeans and changed.

Lesson leared for me - pack the jammies, sleep in jeans!!! OR..... just go to bed sober :D

mouche October 6th, 2009 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dina
I thought I was going to faint when I realized I didn't have my sail and sign card on me... I felt like a dock when I realize I had left it in the casino in a slot machine. I checked on my balance right away. :oops:

The same thing happen to me, except someone found it and turned it in that's when I discovered lanyards. LOL

Thoth October 6th, 2009 06:02 PM

I forget to pack underwear once. Now that's the FIRST thing I pack. LOL

ferrangi October 6th, 2009 06:34 PM

Compared to some, I suppose it's not that scary now, but it was at the time. :shock:
On our first cruise ever (3 yrs ago) we booked the 4 day Mexican cruise out of long beach....
I was so excited I couldn't stand myself, after we boarded about 45 min later, I started getting sick to my stomach and light headed and then I started thinking about the money we spent for the cruise and what would happen if I'm already getting sea sick, I'll lose my money, what would happen with my friend and sister, would they still go, would they stay? I was working my way up to a full blown nervous breakdown... :cry:
So we tried to hurry up to our cabin for the sea sick pills we brought and by the time we got there, I was all better, my nerves calmed down and we never had to take any pills.
by the way.... the ship was still docked... lol :oops:

skymaster October 6th, 2009 07:24 PM

On a New Years Eve cruise one year, I packed all my shoes the night before leaving the ship, so had to walk off the ship, and through customs with a party hat on each foot. The officers thought it was really funny. :roll:

"SKY"

I NEVER told them that at one point in my long, long career, I worked for U.S. Customs. LOL

VegasCrossfire October 6th, 2009 07:46 PM

The scariest thing that happened to us was when we had friends going with us on a cruise. We went to Miami 4 days before the cruise and when we got there, our friends realized they left their passports, and all documents on the kitchen counter!! She had to have her sister over-night them to the hotel.
OK....so that was done and we had a good couple of days in the Keys, etc.
When we got to the Pier to board the ship....she could not find the documents (including Passports) ANYWHERE!! We called the hotel to see if she had left them in the room. We had all their suitcases wide open on the sidewalk and we were pulling everything out of every suitcase. What a mess!! I went to the boarding area and asked what we could do without the docs. I was told "nothing...without the passports, etc - they cannot get on board". By now we were all frantic and she was crying.

They couldn't go - so what do we do??? Do we go without them or do we lose our money and stay home too????

Luckily - as we were reluctantly putting the clothes back in the suitcase, we found the documents.

I NEVER want to experience anything like that again!! :shock:

Master Chief October 6th, 2009 09:08 PM

Not really scary but on a Princess cruise (yep I was a traitor :( ) in Jan this year I came down with food poisoning. I went to the doctor and of course was quarantined for 3 days (Noro Virus). It wasn't but that's not important Better safe than sorry I guess. Anyway in St. Kitts my wife went on a shore excursion and left me in the room. When the cleaning crew (the ones with the masks and rubber gloves :o ) came to clean the room I went out on the balcony with a book. When the finished they opened the balcony and told me they were done. I said OK. I continued reading and about 15 minutes later I thought I better make a trip to the bathroom. However, the cleaning guys had locked the balcony door. I was stuck outside. Well, lucky me. The folks were on the balcony below me. I called down and they called my room steward. He came and let me in and he thought it was funny. He said he had done it once by mistake. When the cleaning guys came for the nightly wash down they were most embarrassed and kept apologizing. I tried to console them and joked about it. There was no damage done and it really was a funny situation. And I won't get caught a second time :D

Michelle1959 October 6th, 2009 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VegasCrossfire
The scariest thing that happened to us was when we had friends going with us on a cruise. We went to Miami 4 days before the cruise and when we got there, our friends realized they left their passports, and all documents on the kitchen counter!! She had to have her sister over-night them to the hotel.
OK....so that was done and we had a good couple of days in the Keys, etc.
When we got to the Pier to board the ship....she could not find the documents (including Passports) ANYWHERE!! We called the hotel to see if she had left them in the room. We had all their suitcases wide open on the sidewalk and we were pulling everything out of every suitcase. What a mess!! I went to the boarding area and asked what we could do without the docs. I was told "nothing...without the passports, etc - they cannot get on board". By now we were all frantic and she was crying.

They couldn't go - so what do we do??? Do we go without them or do we lose our money and stay home too????

Luckily - as we were reluctantly putting the clothes back in the suitcase, we found the documents.

I NEVER want to experience anything like that again!! :shock:

That would be very scary! on my 1st cruise, I kept my passport, flight eticket, boarding passes, cruise tickets, id's, credit card, cash and S&S card in my waist belt underneath my shorts. that is how I always travel. I always make sure the straps on it are secure and use two large thick safety pins to pin them to the inside of my pants or shorts.

briguy October 6th, 2009 11:58 PM

I was going to propose to my girlfriend and stupidly put the diamond ring in my checked bags. This was on my very first cruise too. Of course the bags failed to show up at my room and I started to panic. I called the pursers and they couldnt find any of the luggage. Now I started getting pissed. At around 10pm that night I stormed out of the room to give anybody who would listen an earful. I saw the luggage guy bringing my bags down the hallway. I immediately checked for the ring and thank god it was there. Of course I couldnt let on to my GF about any of this. She wondered why I was so ticked off. The next night we were engaged and all was well. Lesson learned in not packing a carat and a half diamond in a suitcase.

Thoth October 7th, 2009 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Master Chief
Not really scary but on a Princess cruise (yep I was a traitor :( ) in Jan this year I came down with food poisoning. I went to the doctor and of course was quarantined for 3 days (Noro Virus). It wasn't but that's not important Better safe than sorry I guess. Anyway in St. Kitts my wife went on a shore excursion and left me in the room. When the cleaning crew (the ones with the masks and rubber gloves :o ) came to clean the room I went out on the balcony with a book. When the finished they opened the balcony and told me they were done. I said OK. I continued reading and about 15 minutes later I thought I better make a trip to the bathroom. However, the cleaning guys had locked the balcony door. I was stuck outside. Well, lucky me. The folks were on the balcony below me. I called down and they called my room steward. He came and let me in and he thought it was funny. He said he had done it once by mistake. When the cleaning guys came for the nightly wash down they were most embarrassed and kept apologizing. I tried to console them and joked about it. There was no damage done and it really was a funny situation. And I won't get caught a second time :D

You were nice to them. I wonder how many people wouldn't be so kind in that situation.
I have witnessed some rude behavior against the crew. :evil:

cuzzx October 7th, 2009 08:59 PM

scary
 
A few cruises back, back when people started to go missing off of cruise ships.
My wife and I decided to walk the outside coridors of the shipp just looking.
We were up front just looking out when four men began to follow us real close .
My wife did not like how close they were getting and we left.
Later the though went through my mind about being robbed and thrown overboard.

These four were small men, I think I could have taken them?

Master Chief October 7th, 2009 09:47 PM

Thoth: They hadn't locked me out on purpose. In fact the steward said it was a habit to lock any balcony door if he had been out on the balcony cleaning. He said he would get in more trouble for leaving it unlocked then locking someone out. Can't see getting upset. Cruising is for chilling :D

Thoth October 7th, 2009 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Master Chief
Thoth: They hadn't locked me out on purpose. In fact the steward said it was a habit to lock any balcony door if he had been out on the balcony cleaning. He said he would get in more trouble for leaving it unlocked then locking someone out. Can't see getting upset. Cruising is for chilling :D

Oh I understood that. Still there are those who would likely have jumped their case.
cruising is for chilling ! that's me. 8)


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:23 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1