Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 10th, 2010, 04:04 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to cherylroy
Default can I carry water and drinks on board?

I know you can carry one bottle wine or champagne per person on board. But, can you ALSO carry like a 12 pack of mini cokes and water? If one per person? I want to carry it on instead of packing it if I can...more room for packing. Thanks for your help - and advice!
Old January 10th, 2010, 06:23 PM
Admiral

Carnival says you can carry on a "reasonable" amount. I think what you're planning will be fine. The only problem would be lugging it around while you wait for your cabin to be ready .

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Old January 10th, 2010, 07:29 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

I pack an empty sports bag in my suitcase. Then purchase some soda/pop before getting to the ship, pack it in the sports bag, and check it with the porters; let them deliver it to my cabin with my luggage.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old January 11th, 2010, 09:06 PM
Admiral

OK I'm confused Kuki - even tho we don't mind guarding it while we wait. There are 3 of us - youngest being 21 (my daughter). We were gonna carry on 3 bottles of wine (one each). I was gonna carry a little 12 pack of water (the small bottles) and hubby carry on small 8 pack of pepsi and 21 year old small 8 pack of dr. pepper. We can put this in a small luggage and let them deliver? They won't take it away from you? The wine we will have to carry - as its glass bottles. I have a little suitcase thats like 14 x 20 on rolling wheels. Can we 3 pack it in there and roll it on ship?
Old January 11th, 2010, 09:12 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Alcohol Policies by Cruise Line

This is our article on cruise line policies. The Carnival section says:

Carnival Cruise Line
The company web site states "A liquor and beverage consumption policy was created in order for Carnival to be able to control the liquor consumption of minors and the quantities consumed that lead to the disruptive behavior of others on board." Here is the policy:

Bringing Alcohol On Board - Embarkation:
Guests are prohibited from bringing alcoholic beverages onboard. However, guests (21 years and older only) may bring one bottle of wine or champagne per person on board only during embarkation at the beginning of the cruise. A $10 corkage fee per bottle will be charged should you wish to consume this wine in the dining room or a $14 corkage fee per bottle in the Supper Club. Guests may bring a small quantity of non-alcoholic beverages.

All alcohol, additional quantities of wine/champagne or excessive quantities of non-alcoholic beverages will be confiscated and discarded without compensation. Guests may purchase a variety of beverages on board the ship.

Alcoholic beverages will not be sold or served to anyone under the age of 21. We reserve the right to refuse the sale of alcoholic beverages to anyone. Alcoholic beverages purchased in the ship's gift shops or in ports of call will be retained by Carnival until the end of the voyage.

Ports-of-Call:
Alcoholic beverages of any kind purchased in any Port-of-Call will be confiscated at the gangway, stored on board and retained by Carnival until the end of the voyage.

Ship Gift Shops:
Alcoholic beverages of any kind purchased in the ship's gift shop will be stored on board and be retained by Carnival until the end of the voyage.
(Both of these policies imply they will return the liquor to you on the day you disembark --ed.)

Drinking Alcohol Onboard:
The minimum age for the purchase and/or consumption of alcoholic beverages in the bars, lounges and gift shops is 21 years of age. Carnival reserves the right to refuse the sale of alcoholic beverages to anyone. In the event that Bar/Restaurant/Gift Shop Staff are in question that a guest is less than 21 years old, they shall request picture identification, prior to serving the drink or selling the bottle of liquor.

So, your plan should work, but I would pack the water/soda in separate cases, not all in one, so you can say "this one is mine, that is hers, and that is hers..." That is just to be safe. Chances are you could put them all in one bag, but we can't guarantee you what the policy will be that day, everything is subject to interpretation.

Old January 11th, 2010, 09:16 PM
Passenger

We always pack a small soft sided cooler with a few sodas in it. I need a diet dr pepper in the morning. As long as you don't have ice in it, you can check it with the rest of your bags. I'd wrap the wine in clothing and put in your bags too. You can tell them about it so you can pay the corkage fee. I don't think they physically need to see it.
Old January 11th, 2010, 09:28 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Or drink the wine in your cabin and not have to pay the corkage fee.

Old January 12th, 2010, 06:38 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherylroy View Post
OK We can put this in a small luggage and let them deliver? They won't take it away from you? The wine we will have to carry - as its glass bottles. I have a little suitcase thats like 14 x 20 on rolling wheels. Can we 3 pack it in there and roll it on ship?
As far as I know you'll be fine packing all 3 in your small suitcase and checking it. You might want to pad them somehow. The suitcases get thrown around a lot ! I never say never, but I can't imagine them taking any away from you.

I would bring the wine in your carry on bags .

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Old January 12th, 2010, 08:03 PM
Admiral

thats exactly what I'm gonna do! However don't think I'll bring THREE bottles of wine.......might turn into a drunk by the end of the cruise if I did that!
Old January 13th, 2010, 03:12 PM
Beginner

This is what I did on my last cruise...Same as Fern....Next time, I'm taking a few more soft drinks....They don't take it from your suitcase....I took my wine with me onboard..I saw some people taking 12 and 24 packs of water....I was shocked....and there it would be outside their door with their luggage....
Old January 13th, 2010, 07:40 PM
Admiral

Sounds like a plan!! The benefits of not having to fly (at least for me)
Old January 17th, 2010, 12:24 AM
Captain

Last cruise we took a soft sided cooler on wheels and 3 12 packs of pop (SHHH it was really beer) put 2 in our luggage and 1 pack in the cooler along with 12 bottles of water. We asked the room steward to keep the cooler full of ice every day and he did, we left him a nice tip for the troubles but we saved over 100 dollars in drinks.

Carribean Princess 07
Carnival Valor 08
Carnival Holiday 08
Carnival Triumph 09
Island Princess 09
Carnival Miracle 10
Norwegian Pearl 11
Norwegian Sun 13
Independence of the Seas Feb 14