Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 15th, 2010, 11:49 AM
Passenger

Default Review-Conquest-Key West and Bahamas

Just got off the ship yesterday (2/14). It was a very nice cruise and gave us the opportunity to see Key West and the Bahamas. Here are highlights:

Embarking - very smooth. Took about 1-1.5 hours to get on the ship. The Lido was crazy and hard to find a seat but it worked out. The less you have to lug around with you the better.

The room - I am cheap and got an inner room on the deck 1. Our steward, Romeo, was great! Room was impeccable. Room was not quiet though. More creaking and noises than I remember in the past. At times it would keep us awake. Maybe the Conquest is settling.

Food - Was very good. Breakfast and lunch is good but the dinners were excellent. The beef dishes were good and the meat was tender and tasty. Soups were superb. I have never had an issue with the food and I am fairly picky regarding the quality of my food. The prime rib was very good and the lobster was better than usual. My daughter had a fish dish every night and loved it all. No one at our table was unhappy once with the food.

Drinks - seemed to be skimpier on the alcohol. My friend and I went out one night and had 5 drinks (including a Long Island Ice Tea) and we did not really feel the effects of the drinks. It used to be you could brag they were not cheap with the alcohol, I am able to do that now.

Ports - loved Key West. Did a free lance walking tour and loved the island. People are great. Drank a beer at the Green Parrot and had lunch at Margaritaville and enjoyed both places greatly. Freeport is not much to brag about. Had horrible service at the Caribbean Cafe. Food was mediocre and the service bad. Very slow!!! Avoid! The beach was pretty there. If I had to go back I would spend the day at the beach behind the big hotel there. Nassau was nice. We took a private tour for $20 a person and saw a great deal of the island and learned a lot about the culture. Got to see Atlantis briefly and it was nice. Not as nice as the Bellagio or the Wynn in Vegas but nice. We did have a good lunch at the Conch Fritters. Very good food and great service. It is near Senor Frogs.

Entertainment - it was ok. I did not like the piano bar as much this time as when Damion was the entertainer. The shows were ok. I did like the Guitar Man. He is a good guitar player and good singer.
Weather - I would not take this route again in early Feb. Too cool to enjoy the deck and pools. Weather was mild at the ports but very windy and the wind chill factor was evident. This route would be better in April or May.

Disembarking - we carried our luggage off and we were on the highway by 8:30 heading to Missouri. Very smooth!

Traffic - no disrespect to my fellow Texan and Oklahoma cruisers but you have the two worst driving states I have ever encountered. Texans are dangerous and drive way too fast to be safe. I saw many (MANY) drivers going over 90 and switching lanes carelessly. Slow down, you don't have that many nice places you have to get to that fast! Oklahoma drivers love to drive slower, but in the left lane!! I see them doing this on I-44 in Missouri. Get your butts over!!!!
Sponsored Links
Old February 17th, 2010, 02:45 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Frank...

Sorry - I didn't see you said "Conquest" in your title.

You should submit this to our regular reader's cruise reviews.

Old February 17th, 2010, 03:02 PM
Passenger

Thanks for the input..I am not cruising this ship any time soon, but love hearing of others experiences and maybe one of these days I will give this ship a try.
Old February 17th, 2010, 06:50 PM
Admiral

Sounds like you had a good time. Thanks for the review.

Home is where you park your flip flops

~Robin~

cruising the Breeze with Ray B & Lisa

Carnival - Fantasy 1998
RCCL - Majesty of the Sea 2000
Carnival - Inspiration 2009
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013