Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 13th, 2010, 01:44 PM
First Mate

I'm just back from the Triumph visiting Progreso and Cozumel. Mexico is as beautiful as I remember, and I'm happy to report no drama!!!

The people in Progreso seemed relaxed and hocking their stuff like always. I had some great loaded Nachos and of course a frozen Marg to wash them down - fab food. And the beach was beautiful and busy!!

Its good to be informed - but I think I let the media hype get to me this time.

I'm going back to Cozumel in December and I won't be staying on the ship, but I plan to shop for bargins.
CARNIVAL BREEZE 1-13-2013
Old September 16th, 2010, 03:43 PM
Passenger

Yes, los federales have been waging a civil war against drug lords in Mexico since 2006, which has cost the lives of nearly 30,000 people so far, dwarfing Iraq and Afghanistan as far as casualties.

Also, within the last week, the U.S. moved its personnel out of its embassy or consulate in Monterrey, Mexico, because we can no longer guarantee their safety there.

We're sailing to Ensenada, Mexico for New Year's Eve, but I'm trying to talk my wife out of going ashore.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old September 16th, 2010, 04:38 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ojos View Post
We're sailing to Ensenada, Mexico for New Year's Eve, but I'm trying to talk my wife out of going ashore.
I'd love to celebrate new years eve at Hussong's. That would be cool!

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old September 16th, 2010, 05:20 PM
Passenger

We're leaning toward welcoming the New Year in the America [Piano] Bar onboard.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old September 18th, 2010, 01:36 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by sistagoldenhair View Post
I'm just back from the Triumph visiting Progreso and Cozumel. Mexico is as beautiful as I remember, and I'm happy to report no drama!!!

The people in Progreso seemed relaxed and hocking their stuff like always. I had some great loaded Nachos and of course a frozen Marg to wash them down - fab food. And the beach was beautiful and busy!!

Its good to be informed - but I think I let the media hype get to me this time.

I'm going back to Cozumel in December and I won't be staying on the ship, but I plan to shop for bargins.
We (and lots more) survived THAT cruise and Cozumel. And how 'bout that game Thursday night! Who Dat!

Our pictures:
Carnival Triumph - Sept 6, 2010 - Sept 11, 2010

It is sad that the US media seems more interested in selling advertising than in reporting all the news - good and bad. Beware of alarmists, or not. Personally, I choose to live my life - time is limited and one never knows. In this country or others, everyone needs to be aware of their surroundings.

NYE in many US cities is a crap shoot at best. It is not unusual for innocent people to be injured or worse from falling bullets. In more that one city in the US I know that police are told to be parked under an overpass at Midnight - not only because of "accidents" but because they may be targets.

As for "drug lords" and "drug cartels" - if America was not addicted to drugs, there would be very few, if any, in Mexico. One cannot separate the drug addiction in the US with the violence in Mexico.
Old September 18th, 2010, 08:07 AM
First Mate

[QUOTE=zydecocruiser;1317593]We (and lots more) survived THAT cruise and Cozumel. And how 'bout that game Thursday night! Who Dat!

In more that one city in the US I know that police are told to be parked under an overpass at Midnight - not only because of "accidents" but because they may be targets.

In our city, it's so they can "rest" more quietly
CARNIVAL BREEZE 1-13-2013
Old October 13th, 2010, 03:38 PM
Passenger

I guess I am a bit surprised to see how many say that they will NOT go to Mexico until things calm down. I am not sure if we will ever hear news stories that relate the idea that things have "calmed down" in Mexico. There are so many facts that people just need to listen to versus the constant negative hype.

If you do a simple search of crime statistics...you will see that we (the good ole US of A) rank much higher (higher not being a good thing) than Mexico when it comes to crime and violent crime at that. Mexico consistently ranks better than most "developed" countries. People somehow get the impression that Mexico is some small, crime-laden Country when the facts and the atlas say otherwise. You have as much of a chance seeing or being near the scene of a violent crime when visiting most of our major cities.

The VAST MAJORITY of violent crime in Mexico happens at the 4 major US/Mexico border towns. Does anyone know how far those areas are from say...Cancun or Cozumel? Anyone? It is the equivalent in distance from Oklahoma City to New York City. Does anyone know of any friend or family member who canceled their trip to Oklahoma because they heard there was a severe crime outbreak in New York?

Our own media outlets are killing the Mexican economy which relies HEAVILY on tourism. I had friends who just returned from a cruise to the Mexican Riviera and the store owners/vendors were begging them to go back home and tel their friends to come visit. Those same friends of mine live in a California town where their own home has been broken into at least once in broad daylight.

If you look at the State Dept's current warnings, you will see Mexico mentioned, but you see them refer to the US/Mexico border...not the resort towns on the Pacific or Caribbean.

Ok...officially stepping off my soapbox. But please search facts and please don't take some media's story as truth before finding the facts yourself.
Old October 13th, 2010, 04:45 PM
Admiral

You've heard the story of David & Tiffany Hartley who were jet skiing on Falcon lake last week when attacked and he was shot by suspected drug dealers. Finally the Mexican Gov't decided to believe or at least investigate the situation from their side of the border. One day after appointing an investigator, his head was delivered to the military in a suitcase. ONE DAY! I'm not seeing much press about this and it just happened. Six were murdered just a few block from my barber in Cozumel last year so it does happen in tourist areas.

CNN report

I go to Mexico a lot, but to say that it is completely safe for tourists would be not be true. There is a risk, it's up to each person to determine that risk for themselves.

BTW--The drug cartels can reach anyone anywhere in Mexico.

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old October 13th, 2010, 05:36 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoozeman View Post
You've heard the story of David & Tiffany Hartley who were jet skiing on Falcon lake last week when attacked and he was shot by suspected drug dealers. Finally the Mexican Gov't decided to believe or at least investigate the situation from their side of the border. One day after appointing an investigator, his head was delivered to the military in a suitcase. ONE DAY! I'm not seeing much press about this and it just happened. Six were murdered just a few block from my barber in Cozumel last year so it does happen in tourist areas.

CNN report

I go to Mexico a lot, but to say that it is completely safe for tourists would be not be true. There is a risk, it's up to each person to determine that risk for themselves.

BTW--The drug cartels can reach anyone anywhere in Mexico.

But again...the American's who were attacked went out to the "Mexico" side of that lake where it has had a history of violence. That lake straddles the US/Mexico border which is exactly where the MAJORITY of the violence occurs.

No one can ever claim that any tourist area is completely safe whether it is in Mexico, France, Germany, United States etc. Look at the crime stats for cities in Europe...check out Paris alone. How many news reports do you hear talking about the robberies and muggings other crimes against tourists in Paris? We hear ZERO yet they happen all the time.

How many people were murdered in Houston over the past month?

Houston crime map

What if other countries looked at our crime rate and issued warnings to stay away from our major cities because of the rise in violent crime? We would think they were absurd.
Old October 13th, 2010, 05:45 PM
Admiral

MY point is that there is a LOT of violence NOT being reported. A Lot.

BTW--I'm not keen on Bill White or Houston who had a huge jump in crime after Katrina.

Future Cruises:
Old October 13th, 2010, 06:31 PM
Passenger

I threw in Houston because I knew you were from Texas.

I am sure there is a lot of things not reported on from Mexico, but the same is true from our end. Outside of the local and sometimes the State level, we (the US media) do not report on crime that happens on a daily basis. And I will venture to say that the local media in Houston has not reported the 17+ murders that happened in the month of August either. Why are we not demanding that our own media report what is really going on in our streets as much as we demand our media to report the crimes going on in some other Country?

According to our media...Mexico is somehow less safe to visit than say Jamaica, St Thomas, Nassau, Boston, LA, New Orleans, Chicago etc. And I am simply saying that I just don't believe that when you look at the facts of where the majority of the crime occurs and who it occurs against.

I enjoyed your blog by the way...we are heading out on the Conquest in about 30 days...but who is counting.