Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 18th, 2010, 03:21 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Default Bring back the calypso bands

Over the past couple years, I have sailed several cruise lines. They all have their pros and cons, but the one thing I have come to expect on all cruises is calypso bands by the pool. Over the years, these 4-5 person bands play by the pool every day and create a perfect cruise vacation relaxing atmosphere. It is the one thing that we have come to love about cruising over the years.

Unfortunately, our last two Carnival cruises have had two person "bands..." or duos. We've been told that all Carnival ships have replaced their calypso bands with these duos. These duos are one cutback that we are so unhappy about. We wish Carnival could cutback in just about any single other area, as this is not only noticeable, but it was our favorite part of cruising. The bands (not the duos) really do make a difference in terms of getting cruisers engaged and ready to have a good time and relax. There are significant sound differences. Every other cruise line still has these 4-5 person calypso bands where cruisers enjoy the atmosphere and often engage with the bands dancing and singing. The duos now are dull and not engaging. The music is not the same. I heard many cruisers comment and complain about this, and I have read about many cruisers complain about this cutback - ONLY on Carnival. I shouldn't have to cruise another line just for their calypso bands. Many cruisers share the same concern, so I hope Carnival considers bringing back the calypso bands instead of the duos.

Whether Carnival has to get rid of the magicians or one solo act, please do what it takes to bring this back. Also, it was hard to find calypso bands playing for carnival recently in a youtube search, yet I found many clips from these bands playing on other lines. There really is a difference, and Carnival should replace the duos with the calypso bands like they used to have and that every other line (RCCL, Norwegian) still has. Check out the differences:

Carnival calypso band YEARS AGO in 2007 BEFORE THEY CUT BACK AND GOT RID OF THE BANDS AND REPLACED THEM WITH DUOS:

YouTube - Carnival Triumph Band - 2007

Here are two clips of the duos playing RECENTLY AFTER THE CUTBACK FROM CALYPSO BAND TO CALYPSO DUO:

YouTube - Carnival Cruise to Mexico - Jan 09 2010

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDmtr...eature=related

Here are calypso bands within the past few months ON OTHER CRUISE LINES. They still have them and they sound great. I've read great reviews of these calypso bands on every ship on non-Carnival cruise lines. If they have them and passengers love them and miss them on Carnival, why can't Carnival bring them back? There really is a difference:

YouTube - oasis of the seas

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrchL...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGhI7...eature=related
Sponsored Links
Old September 19th, 2010, 03:26 PM
Passenger

Hope you sent this off to Carnival also! I agree with everything you said.
Elation June 2006
Imagination Jan 2005
Pride Aug 2004
Victory Oct 2003
Festivale Oct 1989
Old September 20th, 2010, 11:20 AM
Captain

They had this on the Conquest when we first started cruising...
Really enjoyed it, made you want to hang around & drink...
Wonder if it has hurt the booze sales....

Conquest .... Nov /03 (New Orleans)
Conquest .... Dec /05 (Galveston)
Celebration.. Sept /06 (Jacksonville)
Fantasy....... Dec/07 (New Orleans)
Splendor...... Nov. 29th, 2009

Splendor...... Nov. 28th, 2010 (booked)
Old September 20th, 2010, 09:44 PM
Cruise Maniac

We were on the Spirit to Mexico a couple of years ago and there was NO live music on the Lido.. seems there was a contract dispute. What a disappointment. I do not care how many are playing..music is part of the experience.
Legend 2006
Spirit 2006 & 2007 & 2009
Conquest 2007 & 2009
Pride 2008
Dream 2010
Norwegian Dawn 2011
Magic 2012
Princess Grand 2013
Old September 20th, 2010, 09:59 PM
Admiral

And now we are supposed to watch the giant TVs - I hear and obey

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014, Regal 2014
Old September 21st, 2010, 02:08 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to dhudd

I know just what you mean. Our first cruise back in Dec of 2000, aboard the Carnival Victory, they had 2 calypso bands. Then when we visited Saint Croix, they had a great number of bands playing on the shore. Then on all of our past Carnival cruises, the bands were few and far between. We did also cruise aboard the Star Princess, they had a 2 person calypso band on the Lido deck for just a few hours. I would like to see & hear more...we are going to the Caribbean again in 47 days.

MS Carnival Spirit 10/2006
MS Carnival Victory 12/2005
MS Star Princess 12/2002
MS Carnival Victory 12/2000
USS Bristol County, LST 1198, 1980-1982
USS Turner Joy, DD951, 1973-1978
Old September 21st, 2010, 01:58 PM
Cruise Maniac

Location: On the Lido deck of any ship taking shots of Kamakazi's with Partyanimal & Co.

AMEN!!! I really did enjoy these and was a big part of me wanting to cruise again. I am very disappointed in Carnival for this and do wish they would bring them back!! I used to drink more sitting listening to them. Maybe they would get more in booze if they did bring them back!!

Old September 29th, 2010, 10:46 PM
Captain

I miss them too!!

AKcruiser