Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 27th, 2010, 07:19 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Default Passport Help

Can anyone help me. I am traveling on the Spirit Jan 3rd and bringing two teenagers. They are both 16 years old. Do I need a passport or will highschool ID's and birth certificates work?
Sponsored Links
Old December 27th, 2010, 07:43 PM
Cruise Maniac

If you are departing and returning to USA, you should only need photo ID and birth certificates.
Old December 27th, 2010, 08:05 PM
Welcome Newcomer

I was worried because neither have "state" issued I'd. Just their highschool I'd. Just wondering if anyone else had experience with this?
Old December 27th, 2010, 08:24 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilkweb View Post
I was worried because neither have "state" issued I'd. Just their highschool I'd. Just wondering if anyone else had experience with this?
In Texas a parent can get a Texas ID, similar to a drivers license but without the test, for their children. You just need the proper documents such as a birth certificate. Perhaps your state offers something similar.

As previously stated, if you are departing and returning to the same port, a closed loop cruise, you should only need the birth certificate. One other thing to consider is if both parents are not traveling on the cruise, Carnival requires a consent slip giving permission for the children to travel. I don't know the details but if it is something you need you can call Carnival and get the exact information.

Upcoming Cruises
Carnival Sunshine - January 2014
Carnival Dream - January 2015

Previous Ships
Carnival Fascination
Carnival Victory
Sapphire Princess
Carnival Triumph (X 3)
Carnival Ecstasy (X 2)
Golden Princess
Carnival Conquest
Carnival Elation
NCL Dream
Carnival Paradise
NCL Sunward II
Old December 27th, 2010, 08:33 PM
Welcome Newcomer

I know California has a state issued ID, but it's too late to get one. We have the certified letter for our friends daughters travel. We have cruised many times with Carnival and all we ever needed was the birth certificated and their school ID. Then I found out about this stare issued ID thing and have been scrambling. I don't wanna get to the port and not be able to get on the ship. Hoping someone out there has had a similar experience. I don't know if I can get these girls emergency passports in time.
Old December 28th, 2010, 11:13 AM
Captain

You probably cant get passports in less than a week especially over a holiday. You should be ok with BC as long as they are the raised seal kind. Dont photo copy one or you will be waving to the ship as it leaves without you. In the near future birth certificates wont suffice as passports will be mandatory so you should think about this going forward. Dont wait till the last minute. Do not forget the authorization letter for the non family minor. This could end the trip before it starts. Have fun!
1999-Paradise
1999-Sun Princess
2002-Pride
2004-Pride
2006-Pride
2008-Valor and Glory
2009-Spirit and Splendor
2010-Freedom of the Seas and Mariner of the Seas
2010-Carnival Spirit
2011-Carnival Dream
2012-Allure of the Seas and Navigator of the Seas
Old December 30th, 2010, 08:42 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABNER.STERLING View Post
I was looking at Carnival Spirit's 9-day itinerary from San Diego. The ship sits at Cabo San Lucas for two days but the itinerary lists arrival and departure times on both dates. Is this because the tenders stop, or is it just a quirk?
I saw this addressed by John Heald and no, it is not a quirk. The ship will be there overnight, but tender service will end at a specific time . If you wish to stay overnight in Cabo, and not on the ship, the ship's Guest Services Dept needs to be notified, so their numbers are accurate. HOWEVER, should conditions prevent tendering the next day (which happens often), your cruise will end in Cabo, and the ship will sail on!
Mariner of the Seas

HAL Statendam Alaska Cruise Tour - 09/09/12; Disney Magic - 12/01/12; Allure of the Seas - 05/26/13
Old December 30th, 2010, 11:15 AM
Admiral

On my last cruise we were told to have photo id available in every port .Not once was I asked to show it.
Old December 30th, 2010, 02:05 PM
Captain

You're pretty much out of time. You should really call Carnival and get the correct answers.

While your American friends have many more answers than I (from Canada) can offer you, but I will say this. It has been my experience that there are ports in other countries that you MUST supply a passport to enter they country. Now unless your cruise is a cruise to nowhere, it is possible that your children may not be able to get off the ship and visit SOME ports.

Again, you really need to call Carnival and get the low down.

Good luck.

Krunch
Western Caribbean - Freedom - January, 2011
Southern Caribbean - Miracle - November, 2010
Western Caribbean - Liberty - November, 2008
Eastern Caribbean - Valor - October, 2006
Old December 31st, 2010, 03:49 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by briguy View Post
You probably cant get passports in less than a week especially over a holiday. You should be ok with BC as long as they are the raised seal kind. Dont photo copy one or you will be waving to the ship as it leaves without you. In the near future birth certificates wont suffice as passports will be mandatory so you should think about this going forward. Dont wait till the last minute. Do not forget the authorization letter for the non family minor. This could end the trip before it starts. Have fun!
OMG I missed the announcement about the passport requirement in the very near future.

Is there a link to the govt page where this was announced?

It's really not cool to scare the bejeebers out of people for no reason.

Bill
Old December 31st, 2010, 10:36 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by krunch View Post
You're pretty much out of time. You should really call Carnival and get the correct answers.

While your American friends have many more answers than I (from Canada) can offer you, but I will say this. It has been my experience that there are ports in other countries that you MUST supply a passport to enter they country. Now unless your cruise is a cruise to nowhere, it is possible that your children may not be able to get off the ship and visit SOME ports.

Again, you really need to call Carnival and get the low down.

Good luck.

Krunch
If the cruise is a closed loop cruise from the U.S. the requirement is a passport "or" an original birth certificate and government issued photo id.

If it is a closed loop cruise then ALL ports on the itinerary will accept the birth certificate and photo ID. No one will not be allowed to get off the ship in any port of the itinerary. If any port on the itinerary requires a passport then a passport will be the ONLY thing that will get you on the ship on the first day.

The cruise lines will not let anyone on the ship that does not have the correct documentation for the entire itinerary.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old December 31st, 2010, 11:51 AM
Captain

Thanx for clarifying Mike. Like I said, I am no expert on it. All I know is that Canada seemed to push harder, sooner on getting passports around 2005. We got ours when we first cruised in 2006. Since then, I use it all the time when travelling. Even if we take a drive / day trip to North Dakota (only an hour away) we take our passports. It's easier now than providing multiple, other forms of ID.

The only reason I said what I did say was I am pretty sure I remember in 2008 and before we got back on the ship in Jamaica, Jamaica security specifically asked for a "Passport". I think

Nonetheeless, I hope the OP has no problems and enjoys their cruise.

Krunch
Western Caribbean - Freedom - January, 2011
Southern Caribbean - Miracle - November, 2010
Western Caribbean - Liberty - November, 2008
Eastern Caribbean - Valor - October, 2006
Old January 1st, 2011, 07:09 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Thanks to everyone for their input. Husband and I have cruised with Carnival since 2004. We have passports, we rarely take our kids since we consider cruise time "our time." A few years ago as a graduation present for our 17 and 13 year olds we took them on a 3 day to Ensenada. They just had birth certificates and high school, Jr. high ID. We had no problems. When we booked this cruise we asked if our daughter (now 16) could travel with just her birth cert. our cruise advisor said yes. We booked her and her friend, who both just turned 16 in Oct.

I happened to be reading some travel related things and saw "state issued Id." Well our daughter is in the process of getting her DL but she has to wait til Janurary because in CA you have to pay for drivers training and you cant apply for a license until 6 months after you complete it. My daughters friends mother is from an unfortuante situation and she couldn't afford drivers training. So basically I found out a week ago they might/or might not need state issued id? There was no way I could get id in time. Carnival couldn't tell me, the cruise agent couldn't tell me. Even Customs said "Well is up to the port and we have ways of verifying citizenship." So I just posted here in hopes someone else may have been through what we are about to go through. We leave tomorrow. I'm hoping I dont have to put two teenagers on a flight out of San Diego.

Thanks
Old January 2nd, 2011, 08:22 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Send a message via Yahoo to DetailsByBill Send a message via Skype™ to DetailsByBill
Default Passport Regulations

Take a look at WHTI | USA | Special Audiences

Enjoy the cruise.

BIll