CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Carnival Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/)
-   -   Carnival Cabin Safes (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/380513-carnival-cabin-safes.html)

DONALD CREGEEN February 16th, 2011 11:19 PM

Carnival Cabin Safes
 
If i didn't missread what their web site said ANY card with a magnetic
strip would open them!!!:mad: I have used cards from other Carnival ships
on a differant ship,and it worked just great!!:rolleyes: Why have a safe if any one that walks by when the door is open can steal the contents?:confused:

Mike M February 16th, 2011 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DONALD CREGEEN (Post 1352924)
If i didn't missread what their web site said ANY card with a magnetic
strip would open them!!!:mad: I have used cards from other Carnival ships
on a differant ship,and it worked just great!!:rolleyes: Why have a safe if any one that walks by when the door is open can steal the contents?:confused:

I actually thought the same thing, many years ago, when I first heard this. However, you program the safe so that it will recognize only one card. You "reset" the safe, run your card through the reader and then your card will be the only card that will work. The "reset" can only be done with the door open.

Take care,
Mike

Barryn514 February 17th, 2011 10:55 AM

Interesting, didn't know that. hmmmm

Kuki February 17th, 2011 11:05 AM

Just don't use your current sail and sign card for your in cabin safe. Then if you lose it, you take the chance of giving someone your cabin key and safe key :(

Any card with a magnetic strip will work. I generally use my costco card for the safe. No big deal if I lose that.

Moiraine February 17th, 2011 11:14 AM

We used the cabin key on our first cruise. Live and learn.

Barryn514 February 17th, 2011 11:16 AM

I do remember hearing on the TV a few years ago that you should never turn your room key (card) in when checking out or leaving in your room because your credit card info and other things can be on the magnetic strip so needless to say, I now take them with me.

Going to try using other card to see if I can open my safe. ;);;

Quote:

Any card with a magnetic strip will work
Kind of defeats the word SAFE! :)

Dan40 February 17th, 2011 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DONALD CREGEEN (Post 1352924)
If i didn't missread what their web site said ANY card with a magnetic
strip would open them!!!:mad: I have used cards from other Carnival ships
on a differant ship,and it worked just great!!:rolleyes: Why have a safe if any one that walks by when the door is open can steal the contents?:confused:

Geez, On embarkation day, you enter your cabin and the safe is OPEN. You use any credit card, close the safe, slide the card [say an empty gift card] and tell the safe to lock. From that point on, ONLY that particular card can open and lock your safe.

bermudafreak February 18th, 2011 07:40 PM

Personally I find these types of safes inconvenient as I usually travel with my mom and brother and we all like to have access to the safe. Once we program a card, we end up having to hide it in the room so that we can all have access when we want. How secure is that?!

Dwayne February 19th, 2011 03:45 AM

Some of the ships now have 4 digit key pads. I like those a lot better as you don't have to track down the person with the card to get into the safe.

Believe it or not, at one time after they had the magnetic strip safes they still put cabin #'s on the Sail & Sign cards. They soon stopped doing that for obvious reasons.

dude_hdt February 19th, 2011 10:01 PM

I prefer the 4 digit key that you can change every time you close it. Just have your party agree to a convenient 4 digit number and everyone can get to it anytime.

Barryn514 February 20th, 2011 10:59 AM

In a few hours will be able to check it out and will report back. :)

HawkeyeFLA February 20th, 2011 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barryn514 (Post 1352994)
I do remember hearing on the TV a few years ago that you should never turn your room key (card) in when checking out or leaving in your room because your credit card info and other things can be on the magnetic strip so needless to say, I now take them with me.

Going to try using other card to see if I can open my safe. ;);;



Kind of defeats the word SAFE! :)

I work at a hotel that uses magnetic keys. None of your personal information is on there except maybe your name. Credit card information is stored in the PMS (Property Management System). The room key just has an account number on it, and in the case of where I work, your theme park ticket information if you so desire, but that's it. Oh, and checkin / checkout dates and a data field for the room number the key is supposed to open. After the checkout date/time, the key no longer opens the door.

Barryn514 February 25th, 2011 01:12 PM

Just got home an hour ago from the Spirit. I did try a non-credit card and it did not work.

Lots to report later today. Was a nice 5 day cruise but somethings have changed over the years.

Securityman February 26th, 2011 12:44 PM

I find using your last Address the best 4 digits to use since the rest of the family will remember IT

Sammy1954 March 2nd, 2011 05:11 PM

Take a used gift card to use on the safe. NEVER use your room key card.

green_rd March 3rd, 2011 09:40 AM

I agree - the keypad safes are better. Now I have to walk around the ship with my S&S card and the one other card that opens the safe.

Paul Motter March 3rd, 2011 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Securityman (Post 1355549)
I find using your last Address the best 4 digits to use since the rest of the family will remember IT

This is actually a good idea - just don't do it for your bank ATM - especially if you are going to talk about it in public message board! Or for that matter if you teenage kid can figure it out.

But being a "securityman" I don't think I have to tell YOU that (just other people who may be reading).

Dan40 March 4th, 2011 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Motter (Post 1356711)
This is actually a good idea - just don't do it for your bank ATM - especially if you are going to talk about it in public message board! Or for that matter if you teenage kid can figure it out.

But being a "securityman" I don't think I have to tell YOU that (just other people who may be reading).

Paul,
What is the danger of using my LAST address since I don't live there anymore?:p:rolleyes:


The only problem is that we have lived at our present address so long that we'd both forget the last address.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:06 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1