Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 10th, 2011, 05:13 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip
Default Carnival says buh bye to Mobile

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Sponsored Links
Old March 10th, 2011, 05:19 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

My guess is that there are just too many ships in the region - between New Orleans and galveston you have about 10.

Mobile is only about 2 hours driving from New Orleans - which has thankfully recovered from the hurricane.
Old March 10th, 2011, 05:23 PM
Admiral

I know someone aboard right now, who booked,so she could drive there from Nashville....numbers are always the proof, in the pudding..

Old March 10th, 2011, 05:43 PM
Admiral

Mobile was quite convenient to me, so as a result Carnival will be getting much less of my business. The extra drive time to New Orleans does matter, as does the hassles of parking in New Orleans, etc.

I also find it quite shabby that, as noted in some published reports, Carnival only gave the city of Mobile a one hour notice before announcing the move. The city was caught flat-footed after they spent a million dollars to buy more land for parking and upgrades to the port facility. Meanwhile the Carnival CEO 'thanked' the port for their hard work over the past few years.
Old March 10th, 2011, 06:50 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

Shame. The numbers out of Mobile must have been disappointing. I hope NOLA can handle two Carnival ships. I actually have my doubts that they can.

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old March 10th, 2011, 07:11 PM
Administrator
Admiral

I know I'll be slammed but I could never figure out how Mobile could have been a money maker for Carnival.

It is truly a "drive to" to port. There are very few locations from which you can get a direct flight into Mobile. I remember, when I lived in Birmingham, you had to fly to Memphis to get to Mobile.

When you limit the number of potential cruises to that small of a geographic area it cannot be sustainable.

I hope they try Jacksonville or some other Gulf port to accommodate the Southeast cruisers.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old March 10th, 2011, 07:42 PM
Admiral

Mike, you are quite correct that flying to Mobile is never a great idea for a cruise. Mobile was indeed a port of convenience for those of us who wanted to drive to the ship. Despite the ship sailing over 100% capacity on almost every cruise, Carnival claims the fares had to be kept lower and they didn't make as much money. The jury is still out on that claim, since I don't ever recall Mobile pricing being especially cheap, but then we always went with a suite so I may not have noticed. I am really more sore about the way Carnival handled this move. They pretty much tossed Mobile in the trash like an empty beer can with no notice. Another hurricane will hit New Orleans some day. Maybe when Carnival wants to move a ship temporarily to Mobile in that event, Mobile will remember and say "go to hell". I know this is a business decision for Carnival, but I do feel like they stabbed me and my fellow Alabamians in the back. As such, I feel justified in being offended.
Old March 10th, 2011, 08:42 PM
Cruise Maniac

Samething happening here in San Diego. I guess Carnival is pulling out of San Diego and will continue travel from Long Beach. Not sure about the other cruise lines since we have several sailing out of SD.
Nov.2005 CCL - Spirit
Aug.2007 PCL - Crown Princess
Feb.2008 CCL - Spirit
Oct.2009 CCL - Elation
Jan.2010 CCL - Splender
Feb.2011 CCL - Spirit (Cabo)
Jul. 2011 CCL -Spirit (Alaska)
Oct.2011 CCL- Dream-(W.Caribbean)
Feb.2012 CCL - Spirit ( Cabo)
Dec. 2012 CCL- Splendor ( Cabo)
Old March 10th, 2011, 11:17 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

I didn't know about the pull out of Mobile. That's a shame for the locals.

I wonder how long anyone will port out of San D. I look for other Mexican ports to be avoided, because of the crime, in the future.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old March 11th, 2011, 02:27 AM
Captain

I sailed the Holiday out of Mobile one time. I really liked the port facility and the parking was fine.

I think that Carnival shot itself in the foot here because they only offered 4-5 day cruises out of this port. The itineraries of Cozumel and Calica or Cozumel and Progresso leave little to be desired. A 7 day western Caribbean or the Jamaica, Grand Cayman, Cozumel circle would of faired much better I believe.

It will be interesting to see if Charleston, SC can succeed as a port for Carnival!

Happy Sailing
Tim

Carribean Princess 07
Carnival Valor 08
Carnival Holiday 08
Carnival Triumph 09
Island Princess 09
Carnival Miracle 10
Norwegian Pearl 11
Norwegian Sun 13
Independence of the Seas Feb 14
Carnival Splendor Feb 15
Old March 11th, 2011, 03:52 AM
Admiral

I would be curious how the contract was written between the Port and Carnival?..was there a performance clause written in...was there a clause about giving _ days notice before ceasing operation..any penalty clauses ?

is this a trend that Carnival has started to back away from the home porting program and redeploy assests elsewhere?
Old March 11th, 2011, 06:27 AM
Admiral

There must be reasons the general public does not know about. If the ship sails at 100% as previous poster states, why would they pull out?
Old March 11th, 2011, 07:45 AM
Admiral

New Orleans had 4 ships before Katrina so there should be no issues there.

A lot of people seem to be blaming New Orleans, but the reality is that Mobile and the Gulf Coast lost a ship to Florida.

Sometimes Carnival does things in strange ways. Not sure why Ecstasy is moving to New Orleans to be moved to Port Canaveral and Elation then moving to New Orleans? Why didn't Carnival decide to just move Elation to Port Canaveral?
Old March 11th, 2011, 08:05 AM
Admiral

That's a shame. Have a friend who likes cruising from Mobile because she does not like driving to New Orleans. Now she'll have to drive to Galveston.
Old March 11th, 2011, 09:43 AM
Admiral

Old March 11th, 2011, 09:54 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Beers View Post
Mobile was quite convenient to me, so as a result Carnival will be getting much less of my business. The extra drive time to New Orleans does matter, as does the hassles of parking in New Orleans, etc.

I also find it quite shabby that, as noted in some published reports, Carnival only gave the city of Mobile a one hour notice before announcing the move. The city was caught flat-footed after they spent a million dollars to buy more land for parking and upgrades to the port facility. Meanwhile the Carnival CEO 'thanked' the port for their hard work over the past few years.
Before passing judgment on Carnival about being shabby about the one hour notice ....you should know all the facts.

Carnival did not release this on "their" schedule.... The PC CEO let it slip that the Ecstasy was going to Port Canaveral....

it hit the wire and Carnival had no choice but to announce the rest of it.

And BTW< Carnival Passengers paid for the terminal...the new gangway with more than enough to cover the $1 million expansion...so Mobile is not out any money.

If it is Carnival and it floats....we have sailed it!

Hubby ... DIAMOND (every ship except the Carnivale)
Me ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale)
20 year old son ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale...he is the only DOUBLE Milestone under the age of 21)
24 year old son ... DIAMOND
Old March 11th, 2011, 10:00 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by zydecocruiser View Post
New Orleans had 4 ships before Katrina so there should be no issues there.

A lot of people seem to be blaming New Orleans, but the reality is that Mobile and the Gulf Coast lost a ship to Florida.

Sometimes Carnival does things in strange ways. Not sure why Ecstasy is moving to New Orleans to be moved to Port Canaveral and Elation then moving to New Orleans? Why didn't Carnival decide to just move Elation to Port Canaveral?

Very true...and we all knew that New Orleans would have 2 Carnival ships again when the time was right. Apparently the time is right.

It does amaze me that people think that the Port of Mobile is some kind of charity and that Carnival is suppose to support.

The economy is affecting everyone. RCCL is completely pulling out of California.

This is no different...it is BUSINESS.....

Mobile got their shot for 6 years. They got terminal that they did not have to pay for. They did not produce.....

IF Mobile is such a great investment to a cruise line, they now have the infrastructure in place for FREE for another cruise line to slip into.

20 year old son ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale...he is the only DOUBLE Milestone under the age of 21)
Old March 11th, 2011, 10:02 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruthlessboss View Post
There must be reasons the general public does not know about. If the ship sails at 100% as previous poster states, why would they pull out?

The capacity is not the issue.

Sailing at 100% means nothing if those cabins had to be heavily discounted to fill them.

Old March 11th, 2011, 10:06 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Mike, you are quite correct that flying to Mobile is never a great idea for a cruise. Mobile was indeed a port of convenience for those of us who wanted to drive to the ship. Despite the ship sailing over 100% capacity on almost every cruise, Carnival claims the fares had to be kept lower and they didn't make as much money. The jury is still out on that claim, since I don't ever recall Mobile pricing being especially cheap, but then we always went with a suite so I may not have noticed. I am really more sore about the way Carnival handled this move. They pretty much tossed Mobile in the trash like an empty beer can with no notice. Another hurricane will hit New Orleans some day. Maybe when Carnival wants to move a ship temporarily to Mobile in that event, Mobile will remember and say "go to hell". I know this is a business decision for Carnival, but I do feel like they stabbed me and my fellow Alabamians in the back. As such, I feel justified in being offended.

Sorry Dave..."offended"??? that is just ridiculous.

If you go to work tomorrow and your BOSS announces...."by the way, you are now working for 1/2 your pay for the same amount of work"

what are you going to say...." OK...I don't want to stab you in the back and leave??"

Port of Mobile is not a charity that Carnival abandoned.

Old March 11th, 2011, 11:34 AM
Admiral

Quote:
... Another hurricane will hit New Orleans some day...
What a horrible thing to think much less say.
Old March 11th, 2011, 12:16 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhp View Post

Sailing at 100% means nothing if those cabins had to be heavily discounted to fill them.
True. But which is better, sailing at less than capacity and keep prices up? Or discount and hope they spend money on board? Either way it's a loss to Carnival. People will miss them, but just because it's convenient for when a person decides to cruise from there (how often, really) the financial support must not be there or they'd stay. They are in business, they are going where they THINK the demand is.
Old March 11th, 2011, 12:19 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:

I'd sure like to know whose getting these huge discounts because I'm sure not seeing them. I paid equivalent (a bit more actually due to sailing in July) to the other 2 cruises I already have booked.

Beth
Enchanted Seas
Enchanted Isle x4

Seawind
Seawind Crown
Celebrity
Horizon
Carnival
Celebration x5
Festivale
Fascination
Inspiration
Conquest x2
Elation- PLATINUM

Magic x2
Norwegian
Sea x3
Star
Dream
Spirit

Need some cruise help?

Need some cruise help?
Old March 11th, 2011, 02:21 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by A&B View Post
I'd sure like to know whose getting these huge discounts because I'm sure not seeing them. I paid equivalent (a bit more actually due to sailing in July) to the other 2 cruises I already have booked.

Beth

Beth.... it isn't just the cruise price. Cabins are rated by the total revenue generated...(gambling, spa, bar, gift shop etc)

Although we have cruised on the Elation 3 times since August and they were our cheapest cruises.....

As with any complex business decision...there is no single bullet. It is a combination of factors....many of which we (the general public) will never be privy to.

Two particular issues will NEVER be spoken about by Carnival...but probably had an affect. (NOT THE REASON...but some influence..)

Old March 11th, 2011, 02:25 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by zydecocruiser View Post
What a horrible thing to think much less say.

I agree...... that is just sad.....

the most hypocritical statement I have read was written by some Travel Agents from Mobile....about how they were going to steer their clients to RCCL because Carnival was so greedy.

I reminded them about RCCL pulling out of California and how California is in MUCH worse shape than Alabama or Mobile.

I don't remember reading a post by Dave being "offended" when RCCL did that??????

Old March 11th, 2011, 02:29 PM
Admiral

I would say, clarifying this in my view, that Dave was not wishing a hurricane on New Orleans by any means, just making a statement, that, one day in the future, they will endure another storm.

Old March 11th, 2011, 02:29 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
I reminded them about RCCL pulling out of California
I don't think Carnival is pulling out of CA since they have a large terminal in Long Beach but they are pulling out of SD. Wonder if Holland Am and Princess are going to follow the others.
Nov.2005 CCL - Spirit
Aug.2007 PCL - Crown Princess
Feb.2008 CCL - Spirit
Oct.2009 CCL - Elation
Jan.2010 CCL - Splender
Feb.2011 CCL - Spirit (Cabo)
Jul. 2011 CCL -Spirit (Alaska)
Oct.2011 CCL- Dream-(W.Caribbean)
Feb.2012 CCL - Spirit ( Cabo)
Dec. 2012 CCL- Splendor ( Cabo)
Old March 11th, 2011, 07:33 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
I would say, clarifying this in my view, that Dave was not wishing a hurricane on New Orleans by any means, just making a statement, that, one day in the future, they will endure another storm.
Thank you. That is what I am saying. It seems to me that some are rushing to defend their favorite line without looking at the context of my remarks.
Old March 11th, 2011, 07:40 PM
Admiral

Quote:
I don't remember reading a post by Dave being "offended" when RCCL did that??????
Well Linda, in the future I'll try to do better.

As for your other post where you explained away the rush to announce the move...as being because the Port Canaveral CEO spilled the beans...so what you are saying is Carnival was working all along behind the backs of the Mobile officials? That the Port Canaveral people knew what was going on? Seems to be the case.
Old March 11th, 2011, 07:51 PM
Admiral

Quote:
If you go to work tomorrow and your BOSS announces...."by the way, you are now working for 1/2 your pay for the same amount of work"
I'm retired and my own boss now.

Read my post to Mike again. I said I knew it was a business decision. I just don't like it and it will reduce my Carnival business since it means one less drivable cruise for me. My beef is with the way this was handled.
Old March 11th, 2011, 09:15 PM
Cruise Maniac

We have cruised out of Mobile several times and it was the quickest port for us to reach for our cruises. Also, there are reasonable hotels there that you can do park and cruise packages. When you stay in New Orleans and stay in the area of the port you pay dearly for one of those places. Also, in New Orleans you pay for parking at the hotel. We love New Orleans and are actually cruising out of there in a couple of months because the price in New Orleans was LESS for a 7 day cruise than a 5 day out of Mobile. However, our last cruise just a few months ago on Elation was 189 before other charges...so it was a great deal. I see both sides of this matter but Mobile was such a fast port to get to for us and was easy drive for a lot of the people in the south. You save the money you normally would have spent on airfare. We always choose a cruise we can drive to rather that fly to...more money to spend while on the cruise that way!
Carnival Celebration 03/06
Carnival Fantasy 12/06
Carnival Fantasy 04/07
Carnival Glory 10/07
Carnival Fantasy Jan 2008
Carnival Fascination Oct 2008
Carnival Holiday April 2009
Carnival Dream Dec 2009
Carnival Triumph Jan 2010
Carnival Dream May 2010
Carnival Elation Jan 2011
Carnival Triumph May 2011