Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 9th, 2012, 01:36 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Default Carnival Liberty Propulsion Problems

I am currently aboard the Carnival Liberty and it is experiencing a propulsion problem with one prop. Because of this the ship is not scheduled to dock until 10:30 a.m. on Saturday 3/10.

Carnival has opened up the phone lines for free calls so people can rebook air. They are also reimbursing, up to $200, for change fees associated with re-booking air.

Last night, Thursday 3/8, at approximately 10:30 their was a fairly violent shaking in the aft section of the ship. It was so bad and the subsequent vibration prompted my wife to call guest services and ask what happened. The standard answer was given: "The ship will do that in high seas". The seas were moderate but not too rough. I then noticed our speed dropped from 20 knots to 16. A person from guest services came by the cabin with a "all is fine" response. The rest of the night the vibration continued.

Then at 12:30 today the Captain announced that there was a propulsion problem and we would arrive late in Miami. It took them a while to admit it. hmmmm

We are gambling on making our 1:00 p.m. flight and if we don't then we'll just get a flight out on Sunday. It's nice not having to get back home right away.

I don't know what effect this will have on this week's sailing but I am guessing the itinerary may be changed.

I'll post more as I know it.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Sponsored Links
Old March 9th, 2012, 02:11 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I would think after the Concordia issues, more then a pr response is needed now for concerned passengers...Hope everything goes well for you and your family....

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old March 9th, 2012, 02:29 PM
Familiar Face

Send a message via Yahoo to scgamecock

Oh no! I'm on Liberty March 24th. Please let it be something easily fixable. I have such great plans for this one, I would hate to miss any ports. Thanks for the info and please keep us updated.

I hope your flight plans don't get fouled up.
Old March 10th, 2012, 05:10 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Hi there! Any news? We are scheduled to go out today (Marcho 10) and already received 2 emails from Carnival, one in the afternoon warning about the propulsion system malfunction, and later last night another one stating about a coast guard helicopter medevac which further delayed the Miami Port arrival. As it stands, Liberty its supposed to come in around noon, boarding at 3pm, departing sometime after 6pm... We wont know until later today whats going on, hopefully it will all be solved...
Old March 10th, 2012, 08:36 AM
Admiral

Rumors on the other site are starting. One says the ship is listing. The cam shows only a small change in the horizon, someone suggested it might be just the camera position. Another is saying it's almost at a standstill in the ocean, another reports it's picking up some speed again.

I'm not on the next sailing or 2 or3, but I hope people extend best wishes to those currently on board who were flying out today.

I know people want to sail, and hope the ship can be fixed without drydock, and even sail today, but it upsets me when people make multiple comments of hoping it gets fixed or their cruise will be interrupted. It sounds kind of selfish, even though it wasn't meant to sound like that.

Lets extend good wishes to those currently on board and dealing with this issue while in the middle of an ocean.
Old March 10th, 2012, 09:00 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Ditto! I haven't seen any comments or other sites so, we'll see what comes out. I'm holding steady at home (live here in Miami) waiting for news and tracking the ship @ sea via websites. Let's hope for the best for all concerned!
Old March 10th, 2012, 10:45 AM
Admiral

Liberty is IN!!!!
Old March 10th, 2012, 11:29 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruthlessboss View Post
Liberty is IN!!!!
Alright! Hope everything is fine overthere, I'm at the house waiting for word of our embarkment (hopefully today @ 3pm +-)
Old March 10th, 2012, 01:30 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to dhudd

We were cruising aboard the M.S. Carnival Liberty back on the first week of November 2007. We were delayed too due to the port engine having trouble. My wife & I looked out our balcony and noticed that we were adrift. We asked some of our fellow passengers just what was wrong and one man told us that we had been "Dead-In The Water" for approximately 4 hours. We were very late arriving in San Juan Puerto Rico and all of the tours that were booked were cancelled, (our money was refunded). We were only given about 3 hours in that port. We still had a wonderful cruise and am looking forward to cruising aboard the Liberty again. Dave & Diane.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Caribbean Cruise Nov 07 (601).jpg (90.7 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg Caribbean Cruise Nov 07 (387).jpg (94.8 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg Caribbean Cruise Nov 07 (388).jpg (91.3 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg Caribbean Cruise Nov 07 (389).jpg (85.0 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg Caribbean Cruise Nov 07 (632).jpg (90.8 KB, 3 views)

MS Carnival Spirit 10/2006
MS Carnival Victory 12/2005
MS Star Princess 12/2002
MS Carnival Victory 12/2000
USS Bristol County, LST 1198, 1980-1982
USS Turner Joy, DD951, 1973-1978
Old March 10th, 2012, 04:31 PM
Admiral

Ruthless, I just checked to see the thread...3 pages, 77 posts!!!!! Most bashing the OP,and then, bashers, bashing other bashers.. Posting for the sake of posting! Not much info.

Last edited by Trip; March 10th, 2012 at 06:39 PM.
Old March 10th, 2012, 05:24 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I am sure Mike will keep us posted, he already posted yesterday about the delay, now wondering about Liberty sailing today??

I know I would be terribly disappointed to fly into port, and only to find out there are some major problems?? I hope it is something they can quick fix and then sail out?

Message Boards Moderator
Old March 10th, 2012, 05:53 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
Ruthless, I just wenbt over there to see the thread...3 pages, 77 posts!!!!! Most bashing the OP,and then, bashers, bashing other bashers...gimme a break! Posting for the sake of posting!
which thread? I hope I haven't offended anyone here, though I can be wordy. I got banned from the site today,
Old March 10th, 2012, 06:52 PM
Administrator
Admiral

I haven't checked any "other" threads yet but I have to say that if anyone was saying anything other than one engine was shut down, the ship was late and Carnival offered $200 to compensate for changes they are full of it.

Things were further delayed because a crew member needed to be medically evacuated by the Coast Guard. We had a fairly good view of the airlift from our aft cabins. I hope the crew member is doing OK.

Disembarkation was, as expected, a free for all with people trying to get off first to make their flights. Betty, my nephew, his girlfriend and I waited until the self disembarkation was done and we basically walked off the ship. We did take our own luggage off but it wasn't a problem. We walked out of the terminal, grabbed a van cab and were at our hotel by 1:30 p.m.

I know anyone with a flight before 1:00 p.m. didn't make it. My brother had a 1:30 pm flight but couldn't change so his family changed to a 4:30 flight, for a lot of money, but my brother just made his original flight. He'll have to wait in Minneapolis for 3 hours for the rest of the family.

Carnival also opened up the phones for free phone calls for people to change their flights. Well, that sounded better than it was. It was almost impossible to get a line and the cell system was also jammed. I was able to call Delta using Skype and I was able to change my flight to Sunday and the rest of the family were also able to use Skype to call and change their flights. It did use up an hour of my Internet time and I do plan on asking Carnival for a refund of part of my Internet fee.

I used Priceline and booked a very nice hotel by the airport. It is the Element hotel and while not the best location it is a nice, extended stay, type of hotel that just opened three weeks ago. The four of us spent the afternoon laying by the pool and their shuttle driver will take us to dinner tonight. Can't beat that.

I have no idea what time, or if, the Liberty left or is leaving port but I will bet the itinerary will be changed. There was a VERY long line of people waiting to get into the terminal to check-in and board. I feel for them.

All in all it wasn't that bad. Carnival will cover my change fees and I'll see what insurance does to cover my travel delay. No matter what, the $75 I spent for the hotel isn't going to break me and it actually a nice way to end the cruise. We were so busy having fun we didn't have time to really just sit and get some sun.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

Old March 10th, 2012, 07:33 PM
Admiral

Mike, so glad you checked in,and all is good...we'll see how your insurance works out for you...Here is a shot I saw of the medivac, hoping the crew member is ok....safe travels...

Old March 11th, 2012, 06:35 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Mike,
Thanks for the update, have a safe trip back home.

Message Boards Moderator
Old March 11th, 2012, 03:22 PM
Admiral

How frustrating since this ship just came out of drydock....

If it is Carnival and it floats....we have sailed it!

Hubby ... DIAMOND (every ship except the Carnivale)
Me ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale)
20 year old son ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale...he is the only DOUBLE Milestone under the age of 21)
24 year old son ... DIAMOND
Old March 11th, 2012, 04:23 PM
Admiral

I feel for the people waiting to board. When the Inspiration was later we didn't get on the ship until 8:00pm and we had been at the port since 11:30 am. The line was so long to board but we had the VIP and pretty much walked on. Hope all went well for them and thanks for the update Mike!
Welcome Home!!

Home is where you park your flip flops

~Robin~

cruising the Breeze with Ray B & Lisa

Carnival - Fantasy 1998
RCCL - Majesty of the Sea 2000
Carnival - Inspiration 2009
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Old March 11th, 2012, 05:07 PM
Admiral

Ruthless, I didnt look at names over there, just the overwhelming fact, that people like to knock each other down...just different from here.

Old March 11th, 2012, 06:13 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
Ruthless, I didnt look at names over there, just the overwhelming fact, that people like to knock each other down...just different from here.
I can't figure out what I said, I was accused of disrupting a topic! I think someone who tends to stalk me over there complained. The poster said I was posting to get my count up! Anyway, my life isn't dependant on THEM! I just miss the craziness there.
Old March 11th, 2012, 10:14 PM
Admiral

Did the ship leave on her next cruise?

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old March 12th, 2012, 07:57 AM
Admiral

I saw a tracking map, yes it left, but not sure of the time.
Old March 12th, 2012, 09:33 AM
Admiral

So, they must have fixed the problem.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Old March 12th, 2012, 07:54 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel View Post
So, they must have fixed the problem.

TM
I don't think they could fix that kind of problem that quick. I did hear from a passenger that was coming off the ship late that the new passengers departing on March 10th were told that the reason for the late arrival was a sick passenger had to be airlifted. They were not being told of the propulsion problem. I would like to know if this relly happened. I have been tracking the ship since it left port and it's speed has never been over 16 knots and the web cam from the bridge shows a little tilt like it may be leaning to one side while cruising. We were planning last minute it cruise on The Carnival Liberty March 31st but I will hold off till I hear how the next couple reviews say. We may do the Valor 8 day leaving March 31st. Please post any updates. Thanks Ed
Old March 12th, 2012, 09:23 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruised1014 View Post
I don't think they could fix that kind of problem that quick. I did hear from a passenger that was coming off the ship late that the new passengers departing on March 10th were told that the reason for the late arrival was a sick passenger had to be airlifted. They were not being told of the propulsion problem. I would like to know if this relly happened. I have been tracking the ship since it left port and it's speed has never been over 16 knots and the web cam from the bridge shows a little tilt like it may be leaning to one side while cruising. We were planning last minute it cruise on The Carnival Liberty March 31st but I will hold off till I hear how the next couple reviews say. We may do the Valor 8 day leaving March 31st. Please post any updates. Thanks Ed
While the ship was returning, it did appear to be a slight tilt from the camera's perspective. However, it was also presented that it was the camera position, not a real tilt. I don't know, I just read it.
Old March 14th, 2012, 12:32 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Default Also on Liberty

My family and I were also on the Liberty during the week that it experienced the propulsion issues. We were on the 6th deck aft and heard the same thing that Mike did on Thursday night with the loud bang and then shaking for the next 5 hours or so. Even though the message from the captain indicated that phone lines were open on Friday, no one that I talked to was able to call out. I ended up using one of the 3 available phones at Customer Service on the ship early Saturday morning to change our flight. We ended up flying home on Sunday rather than Saturday at a flight-change cost of $303 per person. Carnival indicated that they will cover up to $200 per person. With 4 people, plus a hotel stay, we ended up paying about $1350 because of the delay. With Carnival covering only $800, this cruise cost us $550 more than what we were expecting.

Overall, cruise itself was great, but I will try to recover the extra $ from Carnival.
Old March 14th, 2012, 05:55 AM
Captain

Seems like all the Carnival Corp ships are having engine problems. Princess, Carnival and Costa most recently.

Carnival, I believe, has been neglecting basic maintenance on their engines, chasing the almighty dollar, and it is coming back to haunt them, though it just could be the type of engine they run in their ships.

Just seems funny that RCL and NCL don't seem to be having these problems. I don't know the difference in engine designs but I think that Carnival would do good to look at a different engine builder for their future ships.

Might be a interesting topic for Paul Motter to look into, to see if their engine builders are different then the other major cruise lines.

Carribean Princess 07
Carnival Valor 08
Carnival Holiday 08
Carnival Triumph 09
Island Princess 09
Carnival Miracle 10
Norwegian Pearl 11
Norwegian Sun 13
Independence of the Seas Feb 14
Old March 14th, 2012, 08:05 AM
Admiral

Could engine problems stem from adding extras during 2.0, or adding new passenger cabins etc. to existing ships? Each would be extra weight, yet ships were built to sustain the weight at the time ships were built?
If you think about it, put extra weight in your car trunk, it affects miles per gallon, the car will need a little more power to move.
Old March 14th, 2012, 08:28 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Could engine problems stem from adding extras during 2.0, or adding new passenger cabins etc. to existing ships? Each would be extra weight, yet ships were built to sustain the weight at the time ships were built?
If you think about it, put extra weight in your car trunk, it affects miles per gallon, the car will need a little more power to move.
Your Idea makes sense to me.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Old March 14th, 2012, 10:53 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Ruthless;

I would personally call 2.0 more like 1.5. IMO: It is more hype than substance. However, the Guy's Burgers are better than the old burgers but the toppings have more to do with it. You still get a re-heated burger which is the only way you can make that many burgers that fast. The Alchemy Bar was ok but nothing as interesting as the Celebrity Martini bars and the Comedy Clubs had better acts. Except one comedian who was too vulgar even for me and I'm am not easily offended with language or subject matter.

There really was no extra weight added. The facilities for Guys Burgers, Blue Iguana, Alchemy and the Comedy Clubs were already there. They were just redecorated or re-purposed. If there was some extra weight added it couldn't have been more than 100 passengers.

I would like to know what the actual problem was. It "seems" like the current cruise has maintained its scheduled itinerary but I haven't been monitoring it too closely for the last two days.

Take care,
Mike

Old March 14th, 2012, 10:58 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truck Cruiser View Post
Seems like all the Carnival Corp ships are having engine problems. Princess, Carnival and Costa most recently.

Carnival, I believe, has been neglecting basic maintenance on their engines, chasing the almighty dollar, and it is coming back to haunt them, though it just could be the type of engine they run in their ships.

Just seems funny that RCL and NCL don't seem to be having these problems. I don't know the difference in engine designs but I think that Carnival would do good to look at a different engine builder for their future ships.

Might be a interesting topic for Paul Motter to look into, to see if their engine builders are different then the other major cruise lines.
They have problems with their NEWEST engines as well. The Carnival Magic specifically.

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Navigator of the Seas-Caribbean-3/23/2014, Carnival Freedom-Caribbean-5/10/2014, Carnival Freedom-Caribbean-5/18/2014, Carnival Sunshine-Caribbean-5/30/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014