CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Carnival Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/)
-   -   Triumph... Cruise ship seizure in Texas! (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/388557-triumph-cruise-ship-seizure-texas.html)

Trip March 31st, 2012 09:31 AM

Triumph... Cruise ship seizure in Texas!

Carnival Cruise Ship Ordered Held in Texas in Shipwreck Suit - Bloomberg

nlb1050 March 31st, 2012 09:38 AM

All I can say is Unbeilevable!!!!!!

Mike M March 31st, 2012 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trip (Post 1422688)

This is interesting that a court would seize assets of the parent company in relation to a suit relating to the Concordia disaster.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

No matter what: Carnival Corporation has been "Stumpfed". :) sorry, couldn't resist.

This will have a definite effect on Carnival and mostly on the passengers scheduled for today's cruise.

Take care,
Mike

Trip March 31st, 2012 10:20 AM

Can you imagine, the shock, anger,and frustration, for all the passengers, who had their hard earned vacations, come to a screeching halt?

edited to add....the runor I am seeing on Twitter, is that is's NOT the Triumph.....interesting..time will tell.

ruthlessboss March 31st, 2012 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trip (Post 1422701)
Can you imagine, the shock, anger,and frustration, for all the passengers, who had their hard earned vacations, come to a screeching halt?

edited to add....the runor I am seeing on Twitter, is that is's NOT the Triumph.....interesting..time will tell.

I googled it, there are multiple sites saying it's Triumph.

mmerali March 31st, 2012 11:42 AM

Here's a bit of the legal fun fun for anyone who is interested. The suit was filed on March 8, 2012.

Stumpf v. Carnival plc et al :: Justia Dockets & Filings

Trip March 31st, 2012 01:22 PM

Ruthless, agree, everything I had seen too, said Triumph...but this was tossed out there....

anniegb March 31st, 2012 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trip (Post 1422701)

Trip

I was thinking exactly the same - will these poor passengers-to-be receive compensation - not their fault.

Just asking

Annie

Mike M March 31st, 2012 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anniegb (Post 1422735)
Trip

I was thinking exactly the same - will these poor passengers-to-be receive compensation - not their fault.

Just asking

Annie

Based on my recent experience with Carnival the passengers will at least get a refund of their cruise fare and probably the cost of their return airfare. I wouldn't be surprised if they throw in a certificate for $XXX or a precentage off another Carnival cruise.

Take care,
Mike

Spartan kent March 31st, 2012 02:11 PM

I can't believe that they can do this to Carnival Triumph, Costa is in effect a different company although owed by the Carnival Corparation. :confused:

What if this spreads around other courts say Miami ?

Trackypup March 31st, 2012 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spartan kent (Post 1422740)
I can't believe that they can do this to Carnival Triumph, Costa is in effect a different company although owed by the Carnival Corparation. :confused:

What if this spreads around other courts say Miami ?

From what I understand, the reason they could target Triumph is Costa Concordia was owned by CCL and Utopia Cruises (whomever they may be) so is Triumph. I really don't know how Utopia comes into this, but they are also named in the court documents of the seizure of Triumph.

Mike M March 31st, 2012 05:19 PM

Carnival has announced that the ship is being released and today's sailing will commence as scheduled.

Muster drill is being done at this time.

I guess everyone will get their cruise.

Take care,
Mike

Trackypup March 31st, 2012 05:56 PM

She's moving out now. START THE SHIP!!! :)

Dhill March 31st, 2012 06:03 PM

I guess sometimes it is worth it to have a room full of lawyers working for you;)

Snoozeman March 31st, 2012 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trackypup (Post 1422746)
From what I understand, the reason they could target Triumph is Costa Concordia was owned by CCL and Utopia Cruises (whomever they may be) so is Triumph. I really don't know how Utopia comes into this, but they are also named in the court documents of the seizure of Triumph.

That's what I understand too. What a mess...I think it was a gambit to get into an American court one way or another.

Phil&Liz March 31st, 2012 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike M (Post 1422737)
Based on my recent experience with Carnival the passengers will at least get a refund of their cruise fare and probably the cost of their return airfare. I wouldn't be surprised if they throw in a certificate for $XXX or a precentage off another Carnival cruise.
Take care,
Mike

Fortunate for you the cause of the problem was what warranted a refund. In this case the contract "allows" nothing:
"

(d) If the performance of the proposed voyage is hindered or prevented (or in the opinion of Carnival or the Master is likely
to be hindered or prevented) by war, hostilities, blockage, ice, labor conflicts, strikes on board or ashore, restraint of
Princes, Rulers or People, seizure under legal process, breakdown of the Vessel, congestion, docking difficulties or any
other cause whatsoever or if Carnival or the Master considers that for any reason whatsoever, proceeding to, attempting
to enter, or entering or remaining at the port of Guest’s destination may expose the Vessel to risk or loss or damage or be
likely to delay her, the Guest and his baggage may be landed at the port of embarkation or at any port or place at which
the Vessel may call, at which time the responsibility of Carnival shall cease and this contract shall be deemed to have been
fully performed, or if the Guest has not embarked, Carnival may cancel the proposed voyage without liability to refund
passage money or fares paid in advance..."

The news was reported in the Italian press as well..."
The Triumph of Carnival
The tragedy of the Costa Concordia
GENOA-American justice and move today on the tragic sinking of the Costa Concordia: Padlocked a Carnival cruise ship, controlling Costs, about to leave for a trip from Texas, and asked to be able to see the ship's black box over the cliffs at Isola del Giglio. The seizure was asked as a precaution to protect the compensation. At the request of American legal relatives of a German woman died in the shipwreck, the American military tribunal has sent police to put seals on the deck of the Carnival Triumph moored in the port of Galveston. To the surprise of hundreds of passengers, crew and Commander, now ready to sail, the cops are boarded around American 8.30 (15.30 in Italy) and have notified the Act of seizure on behalf of judge Galveston Division of the u.s. District Court. According to the American justice, says a study of lawyer John Arthur Eaves, which promoted the cause, the Carnival '' will pay a deposit of 10 million dollars to the Texas Court to dissequestrare the ship, which will put a guarantee fund for the injured plaintiff, or reach an agreement directly with the German legal family ''.
'' The Texan told magistrate-in Italy a spokesman of Eaves-he married the argument that the death of the town is due to non-compliance with the rules and procedures of safety aboard Costa Concordia, due to the lack of appropriate duty to exercise control of Carnival. '' The reasonable compensation which family will be right justified, therefore-even the lawyer says, the request made by the lawyers of a precautionary sequestration ''. Usa, Carnival Cruise you say '' sorry for what happened '' and departing passengers from the Gulf of Mexico that '' our firms are trying to resolve the matter ''. '' We are confident – we read in a note from the company-that the ship may depart today ''.

Snoozeman March 31st, 2012 11:38 PM

Carnival early this morning announced (in an internal memo) that there would be NO refunds.

Aerogirl April 3rd, 2012 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dhill (Post 1422766)
I guess sometimes it is worth it to have a room full of lawyers working for you;)

Right! :eek::eek: