Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 14th, 2012, 11:21 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter
Default Doctor Kicked off Carnival Dream after fake tweet?

Neurosurgeon pulled off cruise ship over tweet | Hot Topics | an SFGate.com blog

This story tells us about a doctor who was pulled off of Carnival Magic, as a suspected terrorist, because someone else impersonated him on Twitter and said he had a vial of biohazardous material he planned to use to poison the ship.

He was scheduled to speak to a group, and even though they figured out the tweet was a fake he was still taken off and not let back on - per the ship captain's orders.

UUmmm... what "twit" would announced his intentions to poison a ship on Twitter? Of course it was fake and had nothing to do with the doctor - as far as I can see.

What was this captain thinking?
Sponsored Links
Old May 15th, 2012, 02:03 AM
First Mate

I wonder who the Neurosurgeon pissed off???

CarnivalTriumph
Old May 18th, 2012, 05:44 PM
Familiar Face

Maybe when the Heat get knocked out of the playoffs in a few days good ol' Mickey Arison can go back to running Carnival... though I'm not sure things will improve
Old May 24th, 2012, 11:56 AM
Admiral

I am guessing that the Captain was thinking....

that since the US Coast Guard, US Homeland Security, FBI and all the local police agencies showed up for this....

(in the 3 or 4 hours that he had to make this decision) ...

that he had better err on the side of caution.

Especially since there was a credible terrorist threat against a cruise ship just one month prior to this.

I am sure that err made by the Costa Captain was weighing on his mind as well.

One wrong decision and 1,000's die. Sorry, I will never question a man that is put in that position.

If it is Carnival and it floats....we have sailed it!

Hubby ... DIAMOND (every ship except the Carnivale)
Me ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale)
20 year old son ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale...he is the only DOUBLE Milestone under the age of 21)
24 year old son ... DIAMOND
Old May 24th, 2012, 12:59 PM
Administrator
Admiral

LHP...

That would be a very convincing argument if those agencies had actually "shown up" out of their own independent concern over the tweet, but the way I read the story that isn't what happened.

All the SF Gate story said was that... (to quote)

A cruise line official confirmed that the FBI, Homeland Security, the Galveston police and the U.S. Coast Guard were alerted about the tweet.

And then....

The fake Twitter account, which parodied the doctor, has been deleted.

And then....

Kruse’s belonging and computer were searched by the authorities, the statement says. Officials determined the tweet was posted from an impostor and the officials cleared the doctor, the ship’s captain confirmed. The Carnival cruise ship captain did not permit him to re-board the ship before it left the Galveston port.
Old May 24th, 2012, 01:23 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadH View Post
Maybe when the Heat get knocked out of the playoffs in a few days good ol' Mickey Arison can go back to running Carnival... though I'm not sure things will improve
This is a funny funny post. In fact I have had the pleasure of dining with Micky (although he wouldn't remember, I was so shy back then I didn't say a word). But we were all there as cruise reporters, and the only conversation the entire night was about basketball.

That was not his fault - because the only one of five of us who weren't too scared to talk to him knew a lot about Bball- so that was what they discussed.

Yes - I would love to have that night back.