Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 22nd, 2012, 09:06 AM
Familiar Face

Default Half Moon Cay

First, thank you all for your great wealth of information and your willingness to share. You guys make a wonderful vacation even better!

I am so excited to be going to half moon cay. I originally thought that it would be an inexpensive "day at the beach" but I see that there are several pricey excursions. If we want to watch pennies there will there be anything to do? Is there a charge for the lunch? any explanations much appreciated
Old June 22nd, 2012, 09:37 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by cath View Post
First, thank you all for your great wealth of information and your willingness to share. You guys make a wonderful vacation even better!

I am so excited to be going to half moon cay. I originally thought that it would be an inexpensive "day at the beach" but I see that there are several pricey excursions. If we want to watch pennies there will there be anything to do? Is there a charge for the lunch? any explanations much appreciated
You can go to HMC without spending anything. There is free lemonade, water and, I believe, punch available. The jet skis, parasailing and other things are at an additional charge but if you want a nice beach day then it's perfect. There is no charge for lunch.

We were there in March and many in our group planned to parasail and rent jet skis but they had such fun just swimming and "lounging".

Soda, beer and mixed drinks are the same price as on the ship.

You will enjoy HMC. It is one of the better of the private island IMO.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old June 22nd, 2012, 09:40 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Enjoying this day, as simply a day relaxing in paradise, will be a memory for years. The water, and, sand are scrumptious. You can buy a cabana or clamshell, for relief from the sun, and enjoy your free lunch at the pavillion, where there are rest rooms available.

When we went were there several years back, I don't remember any other excursion options, though. There are also water sports, and, fun vehicles here as well..Enjoy!

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Last edited by Trip; June 22nd, 2012 at 10:19 AM.
Old June 22nd, 2012, 10:10 AM
Cruise Maniac

Cath, I see by your countdown clock you will be on the same cruise as us. HMC is our favorite stop. We always rent a Cabana here, but if you want a perfect beach day, you can do so without spending a penny. As stated above, Water (not bottled), Iced tea, Lemonade are free. Lunch is also free, along with the lounge chairs. Carnival barstaff will be on the beach to take orders for soda or drinks if you wish to partake. These will be charged to your S&S card. You can check on the Carnival website for excursions that are offered here. You will have a GREAT day here whatever you decide!!
Previous Cruises since 1985 Carnival (32) - Holiday X4, Jubilee, Celebration X3, Fantasy X2, Ecstasy, Sensation X2, Fascination X2, Destiny X2, Victory, Triumph X2, Glory X2, Legend X3, Pride X2, Miracle X3, Dream, Splendor
Cunard - Countess
NCL - Norway
Premier - Rembrandt
Celebrity - Zenith
RCI - Explorer of the Seas

Old July 1st, 2012, 10:32 AM
Familiar Face

I walked the entire island and found the nature trails to be very interesting.
Walked down where the horse stable was and found a mare running free.
Never spent a dime and had a blast . Enjoy
Old July 1st, 2012, 10:40 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to T C Send a message via AIM to T C

I really look forward to visiting HMC, haven't made it there yet, but it's "on the list" for next year

But why is the rum gone? ~ Capt. Jack Sparrow

also booked: 10/10/13 Carnival Victory B2B, 01/12/14 Carnival Sunshine
Old July 1st, 2012, 10:48 AM
Admiral

It is like a day at sea....only on the island.

The same things that the ship provides for free on the ship...will be provided for free on the island...lunch, ice tea, lemonade....

That have a huge grill place on the island where you can get your free lunch. That is also where the ice tea, lemonade and etc are.

You do not have to rent the lounge chairs, but if you want a clam or cabana...those you have to rent.

Of course, any soda, bottled water or alcohol ... there is a charge for.

One of these days, we are going to rent that big place at the end.....for ourselves and 12 of our very special friends!!

If it is Carnival and it floats....we have sailed it!

Hubby ... DIAMOND (every ship except the Carnivale)
Me ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale)
20 year old son ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale...he is the only DOUBLE Milestone under the age of 21)
24 year old son ... DIAMOND
Old July 1st, 2012, 10:49 AM
Familiar Face

Been there several times, Your gonna love it.
Just go on down past the crowds and find you a spot under the trees . Its extremely hot this time of year.
Old July 1st, 2012, 10:58 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Phil View Post
Been there several times, Your gonna love it.
Just go on down past the crowds and find you a spot under the trees . Its extremely hot this time of year.

I will say the lack of shade was always my only disappointment at Half Moon Cay.

I am not a sun person at all.

20 year old son ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale...he is the only DOUBLE Milestone under the age of 21)
Old July 1st, 2012, 05:53 PM
First Mate

I loved it when we went to HMC 4 years ago.
We rented a claimshell for around $20 to stay out of the sun on the beach. I can't wait to go back.
Old July 1st, 2012, 06:23 PM
Admiral

I meant to add that since we were there last....Carnival has added the pirate ship and I hear it is a huge hit!!

Apparently it is a bar with several levels.

Old July 1st, 2012, 06:34 PM
Familiar Face

I hate the clamshells since they are soo stuffy, so we usually bring our Tommy Bahama folding beach umbrella. Don't like sitting under the trees, too many bugs!
Old July 1st, 2012, 06:39 PM
Familiar Face

A real sport would spring for a Cabana.
I had one rented on the TA but then they cancelled the Grand Turk stop for crummy Freeport so they could try to fix a broken Thruster.

My Blog can be found at: http://capndinghy.multiply.com/
Old July 1st, 2012, 10:54 PM
Admiral

In "05" we split one with friends..it was $219.00 then. Now,it's what, $300.00 ? Not on a good day!

Old July 1st, 2012, 11:34 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhp View Post
I will say the lack of shade was always my only disappointment at Half Moon Cay.

I am not a sun person at all.
My wife is not either. When we cruise, the only time she even goes to the Lido deck is for embarkation lunch, it's that bad with her and the sun.

Anyhow, without going on with her history, she really can't be in the sun for medical reasons. If we take a cruise that goes to Half Moon Cay, do you think she should just stay onboard or are there any chairs with umbrellas she could use? I know when we went to Coco Cay we were able to get umbrellas and she was ok.

Thanks in advance
Harold
Old July 1st, 2012, 11:53 PM
Admiral

Truthfully, I think the only way for her to be protected would be to rent the cabana. They go quickly, even at the high price. We had the orange one, well placed by the food pavillion, and rest room.

Old July 2nd, 2012, 01:09 AM
Captain

When I went a couple of years ago there were thousands of jelly fish. Felt like a pin prick nothing too bad until you get 50 of them so most people only went in the water for a short time.

Anyone know when jellyfish season begins/ends? I was planning on going back until that thought came to mind...

11 cruises in 2012, 90 nights at sea visiting 15 countries
8 cruises in 2013, 56 nights at sea visiting 7 countries

Next cruise: None scheduled
PM me if you need a cruisemate for any Europe, transatlantic, or Panama Canal cruises
Date, ship, cost pp
Old July 2nd, 2012, 01:48 AM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerospace View Post
When I went a couple of years ago there were thousands of jelly fish. Felt like a pin prick nothing too bad until you get 50 of them so most people only went in the water for a short time.

Anyone know when jellyfish season begins/ends? I was planning on going back until that thought came to mind...

No jellyfish 2 wks ago!! We loved HMC could have stayed there 2-3 days!! As long as it was perfect like our day.

Liberty June 2012
Old July 2nd, 2012, 03:13 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
In "05" we split one with friends..it was $219.00 then. Now,it's what, $300.00 ? Not on a good day!
Actually I was referring to Grand Turk. And I am a sport! :-)
But I agree springing $300+ is not worth it.

Old July 2nd, 2012, 06:43 PM
Cruise Maniac

Just to set the record straight, the price of the cabana is $230, and includes snacks, water, soda, floats, and snorkel equipment for 4 people. Worth every penny!!!
Previous Cruises since 1985 Carnival (32) - Holiday X4, Jubilee, Celebration X3, Fantasy X2, Ecstasy, Sensation X2, Fascination X2, Destiny X2, Victory, Triumph X2, Glory X2, Legend X3, Pride X2, Miracle X3, Dream, Splendor
Cunard - Countess
NCL - Norway
Premier - Rembrandt
Celebrity - Zenith
RCI - Explorer of the Seas

Old July 2nd, 2012, 06:54 PM
Familiar Face

Thanks Jamman...that isn't so bad. Somehow I thought both Grand Turk and HMC were in this thread. I apologize for posting about the wrong island. :-) Too bad they don't throw a 6 pak or two, huh?

Old July 2nd, 2012, 09:25 PM
Familiar Face

Default Cabana

We rent a cabana whenever we go to HMC. We book it online well before the cruise, because they sell out quickly. 4 months ago it was $219 for up to 4 people. We are only 2 people but every time we go there, they make you chose for 4 people so that is what we do. You have to go to the excursion desk right after boarding and fill out a form. It has a selection of 4 types of soda (1 diet) and you chose 8 cans of soda (mix and match). You also can put your preference for a cabana on a first come first served basis. We like the one far away from everything. If you have a child, take cabin 1 or 2 by the children's water toys. 4,5,6,& 7 are great for access to the big pirate ship and music. It is quite a hike to the farther cabins and they do have a wagon to take you if you don't want to walk. It is twice the distance to follow the road than to head down to the beach and walk it down there because of how the roads weave. After you arrived they bring a big cooler with the sodas, and a big plate of veggies (that does not fit in the fridge) dips that are in small dishes and do fit in the fridge. You also get a large bag of Nachos. They have an airconditioner which works surprisingly well considering the cabana is open in the front. There are floats and snorkel equip for 4 people (the shoe sizes are on the from you fill out at the excursion desk when you board)
You meet usually in a special room on the ship, the people who have the small cabanas as well as the people who rent the one big one. You are taken together to the first tender going ashore. They also have fresh water shower, and misting fan over 2 loungers on what would be the "porch" of the cabana. We love renting these on HMC, and we have also rented the pool ones on Grand Turk that were mentioned. - They lock, have blinds and complete privacy - food is for pay only and nothing comes in the way of snacks. They also take your S&S card at Grand Turk when they give you the cabana key and return it when you return the key. They do not do this on HMC
Old July 5th, 2012, 05:42 PM
Familiar Face

Thank you for the good information Rita! I will make my first visit to Grand Turk druring the Miracle Canal Transit next year.

Old July 5th, 2012, 09:06 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capndinghy View Post
Thank you for the good information Rita! I will make my first visit to Grand Turk druring the Miracle Canal Transit next year.

We will be there and renting a cabana - you are always welcome there, we'll share and rent the cabana - you can buy the drinks
Old July 6th, 2012, 04:56 PM
Familiar Face

I will be renting one as well. We can be next door neighbors and ruin the neighborhood!

Old July 7th, 2012, 12:24 PM
Familiar Face

Some are closer to others, so you can get off with several people who have cabanas if you want to have them give you ones close together (some are quite far apart) Don't forget, they will take you S&S card (just one person who booked it) when they give you the key and walk you to the cabana. Since they do not do this in HMC, we were a little hesitant the first time, but it was fine and standard practice for a cabana in Grand Turk. Wish we had known about it before we got there, I really think they should note that so people know ahead of time.
Old July 7th, 2012, 02:47 PM
Familiar Face

Thanks..that is a good idea. Good to know about the S&S hostage taking in exchange for a Cabana.

Old July 7th, 2012, 03:12 PM
Familiar Face

I think the OP Cath was looking to save $$ and you guys are "teasing" her with the cabanas! not nice!
Old July 7th, 2012, 03:50 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by sllabon View Post
I think the OP Cath was looking to save $$ and you guys are "teasing" her with the cabanas! not nice!
If she 'plays her cards right' she may get invited to one of those fancy Cabanas!

Old July 7th, 2012, 04:05 PM
Familiar Face

. I have enjoyed the teasing!! Just picturing the beach is getting me ready for our adventure!! You guys are wonderful! thanks!!