CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Carnival Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/)
-   -   20 days until the Liberty! (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/393161-20-days-until-liberty.html)

tison1200 November 18th, 2012 07:42 PM

20 days until the Liberty!

My Wife and I are getting excited for our first cruise! However we have a few simple last minute questions. I know extra tipping is normally done at the end of the cruise but I've also read that some people will tip a bartender at the begining of a cruise to "hopefully" get a little better service during the remainder of the cruise. Is this normal or recomended? Also if we order room service is this something that people tend to tip a little extra on at the time of delivery or no?

This is going to me last hoorah for awhile since when we return I will be having a spinal fusion to hopefully finally fix my bad lower back.:roll:

Oh one other question I have is when and how do people normally attach their luggage tags that they print out before the cruise? We are flying in the day before the cruise so I figured I would attach them then but I got to thinking that what if my luggage gets lost and the airport has to bring it dirrectly to port? Anyone have any advice on this?

Thanks everyone!

Donna November 19th, 2012 04:46 AM

Congrats on your first cruise, how exciting! Always nice to tip the person who delivers your room service order, usually a few bucks.

I would put your luggage tags on right before you head out to the port. Also, when you turn over your luggage, tip that guy a buck or two per bag..

Happy cruising...

storybookcruises.com November 19th, 2012 12:25 PM

When you purchase a drink, they give you a receipt to sign - a 15% gratuity is automatically added to the purchase. There's a line on it where you can put an additional gratuity if you feel the bartender/server deserves it or if you feel it'll get you a bit more/better service. And yes, if you find the right bartender and use them regularly, an extra gratuity is appreciated and may be reciprocated in kind.

As for the luggage tags, while you can put them on before going to the airport, it's best to wait until you're actually going to the pier since they are usually not attached very well. If they do get misplaced, the airline will work with you to get them delivered to the ship, even if they have to go to another port. Just make sure you have some really good name tags attached to your luggage. And it never hurts to put an itinerary inside the suitcases just in case.

As for your back surgery, we hope everything goes well and you're finally able to get rid of your pain. I know how bad that can be, so our hopes and prayers are with you.

Pete

tison1200 November 19th, 2012 07:48 PM

Thanks for the replies Donna and Pete!

Fern November 19th, 2012 08:46 PM

Hi tison1200! Welcome to CM's.

Re: the luggage tags, we fly in a day early and never put them on until the morning of the cruise.

What I do before then, is put a luggage tag on (or use the one already on the luggage) my bag that has the hotel name and address and date, and the ship's name, location and sailing date on one side and our home address on the other side. I just turn it around before we disembark.

My DH has done the back surgery thing, and you'll be glad you did it afterwards. Okay, a few months afterwards, but... :D!

Have a wonderful cruise,

storybookcruises.com November 19th, 2012 09:23 PM

One word of caution; I would never suggest putting anything other than your name on the outside of your luggage. If you put your address or phone number on the outside, thieves can easily find out where you live.

So I always suggest only putting your name on the outside and nothing else. If you want to put addresses, itineraries, or anything else, only put it on the inside of the luggage.

Our son works for United and confirms all the airlines need is the luggage tag they provide. But if you want to put another tag on there, then your name is all that's important should the bag become lost.

If you feel uncomfortable only putting a name, then put your cell phone number and not a home phone number.

Pete

cruised1014 November 22nd, 2012 05:05 PM

Liberty is Great

Hi, About your luggage tags printed off the computer. My suggestion is to take two of the tags and fold them where they tell you to. Lay two they out on you kitchen counter one face up and one face down on top of each other. Use some clear packing tape and cover the top with the tape. peal it off the counter and fold the tape over the sides. Now tape the other side the same way. Do this for every bag you are checking in. Also bring a small stapler with you in your carry on. When you get your bags put your taped luggage tags threw the handles and staple them. They hold great that way. Also at Miami Airport you can check in right at the Airport and get you sail and sign cards. When you get to the ship you don't have to wiat in line there and trust me you don't. Go thought secuity and on the ship with your sail n sign cards. I just got off the Carnival Liberty Nov 17th and would like to answer more questions if you have any. E-mail me shinsky98@yahoo.com anytime. Ed

tison1200 November 26th, 2012 08:34 AM

Can someone break down the additional tips "normally" given while on a 7 day cruise. I dont want to stiff anyone, but I also dont want to over spend.

Donna November 26th, 2012 07:58 PM

Most of the cruiselines have suggested tips to be $10 - 12 per day, per person. There are other tips that are extra, but that covers your wait staff and your cabin attendent...If you order soft drinks or other drinks, they automatically add on $15% tip to your order... When you get to the pier, good idea to tip the staff that takes your bags, $1 to $2 per bag...

tison1200 November 26th, 2012 08:42 PM

Donna, we pre-paid for the tips already I guess I should of been a little more detailed in my last question.

At the end of the cruise when you have a chance to give an "extra" tip who are these tips for and typically how much is tipped?

Donna November 27th, 2012 06:38 AM

Hi Tison,
I only tip extra when the service level has been outstanding, and then, it is totally up to you, an extra $20 is usually a nice reward for great service.