Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 17th, 2014, 05:32 PM
Captain

Default Carnival among 10 top American Corporation Tax Avoiders

Fortune magazine July 21 issue reported that Carnival Corporation is among top 10 American corporation tax avoiders. "CEO Arnold Donald runs this cruise ship giant, which is incorporated in Panama and Britian for tax reasons.but benefits from Uncle Sam. When the Carnival Triumph caught fire last year, the US Coast Guard helped to get the crippled cruise ship to Mobile. Perhaps embarrassed about not paying its fair share of US taxes, the company reimbursed the government."
Sponsored Links
Old July 17th, 2014, 09:35 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Duh!! So does every other cruise line.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old July 18th, 2014, 12:02 AM
Admiral

There are income taxes, and then there are other taxes and government fees. Carnival pays their way, as does every other line operating from U.S. ports. Note that the Coast Guard doesn't ask about the tax payment status of any ship they rescue, and they do seem to rescue a lot of people who have never paid a penny in U.S. tax.
Old July 18th, 2014, 12:35 AM
Admiral

I think in a sense, you could say the cruise lines have a trickle down effect that helps generate many dollars in taxes.
Think first of all about getting to the port of departure--if you fly, you pay out the nose in various forms, give air lines business who purchase and maintain the planes, pay for fuel, gives employment to thousands who in turn pay taxes. And, we know that industry wide,, there are tens of thousands who fly to / from their departure port.So that part alone generates a lot of income for the politicians to spend.
Then those who drive spend money on hotels, food, gas, etc going and coming form the departure ports--you can bet the Gov. has it's fingers in those pies. Then too, how about all the on-shore jobs created by the cruise lines--those people spend money on food, homes, cars, gas, pay taxes , etc so again, the Gov. has it's fingers in another piece of pie. Then we can't forget all the tons of food, drinks and supplies that the cruise lines purchase and have delivered to the ship at each turn-around date
thereby creating jobs for those people who work and pay taxes and again, the Gov. has it's sticky fingers in all those pieces of the pie. Bottom line, when we say the cruise lines don't pay taxes, take away all the thousands of jobs they create and the millions of dollars in taxes the Gov. rakes in as a result of the cruise lines and see where it stands. Just a thought!
Old July 18th, 2014, 02:37 AM
Admiral

Cruise lines create many thousands of American tax paying jobs.

Technically speaking, Carnival Corporation isn't a US Corporation and owns a number of cruise lines including Carnival.
Old July 18th, 2014, 08:29 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike M View Post
Duh!! So does every other cruise line.

Take care,
Mike
Yes. Anyone who cruises knows that the cruise lines are registered in other countries.

The Fortune article was focused on the corporations that are incorporated overseas and avoiding US taxes. The article made the point that since they do not pay taxes or minimal taxes means the American public has to pick up the tab. The arguments that cruise industry jobs in the United States and consumption of American good and services and the government earnings through fees was not entered into in the article. These are valid points which
the author of the article did not choose to enter.
Old July 18th, 2014, 11:53 AM
friedshrimp

As long as Carnival has not broken any laws, I have no problem with how little tax they pay. Especially since they pay no taxes at all......it is we, the customer, that pays the taxes!
Old July 23rd, 2014, 05:08 PM
Captain

Default Jay Rockefeller heads up Senate hearing on cruise ships

Rockfeller made the point that the cruise lines are getting a free ride as to Coast Guard coverage and FBI investigation of crimes on cruise ships since they don't have to pay taxes. It was interesting to hear the comment about the size of type in the contract. Ms Butler one of the witnesses at the hearing whose mother died during a cruise said that she didn't read the contract nor did she print out the contract but she still signed the contract.
Old July 24th, 2014, 01:45 AM
First Mate

Rockefeller has it in for the cruise industry.

Maybe he could look at GE.

Bill
Old July 24th, 2014, 06:22 AM
Captain

Default Rockefeller hearing interesting

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.S.Oceanlover View Post

Bill
One question asked by Rockefeller was if the witnesses had started legal action.
One person answered that he had made a handsome settlement from the lawsuit he had initiated on the part of a young woman who fell from a running machine and is now a living vegetable, the person responsible for the gym did not respond to the situation in a timely manner.
Old July 24th, 2014, 11:56 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonnyprincecharlie View Post
One question asked by Rockefeller was if the witnesses had started legal action.
One person answered that he had made a handsome settlement from the lawsuit he had initiated on the part of a young woman who fell from a running machine and is now a living vegetable, the person responsible for the gym did not respond to the situation in a timely manner.

Accidents don't happen in land based gyms? About the only difference I see is that there are many landshark lawyers looking to go after the deep pockets of cruise lines. I would think any settlement would be tax free for the client.
Old July 24th, 2014, 05:27 PM
Captain

Jay didn't say anything Carnival paying the Coast Guard for the Triumph although he did make the point that a bill to regulate the cruise industry was going in with the bill to fund the coast guard. He, the wily old fox, said he would not allow the coast guard and the cruise industry bills to be separated because the coast guard bill would go through and the cruise bill would flounder. Interesting to see how his mind works.
Old July 26th, 2014, 12:16 PM
friedshrimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonnyprincecharlie View Post
Jay didn't say anything Carnival paying the Coast Guard for the Triumph although he did make the point that a bill to regulate the cruise industry was going in with the bill to fund the coast guard. He, the wily old fox, said he would not allow the coast guard and the cruise industry bills to be separated because the coast guard bill would go through and the cruise bill would flounder. Interesting to see how his mind works.
Of course, Congress does this all the time. Of course the answer is to vote down the combined bill until the bills are separated.
Old August 1st, 2014, 07:49 AM
Captain

Bank of America IS registered in the USA.
Last year their profits were 400% of Carnival's.
Last year B of A also paid ZERO taxes - legally.
There are many more very large AMERICAN corporations in America that are also legally paying ZERO taxes.

Perhaps you should be chasing them first..................................

My ship leaves behind $1 Million every time we visit a US Port.
If we turn around in that US Port, we leave $2 Million behind.
Does Bank of America do anything like that?
Old August 1st, 2014, 07:57 AM
Captain

Has anyone asked Jay Rockefeller how much in taxes he paid last year?
His family has a long history of skirting US Tax Laws.
Old August 13th, 2014, 03:59 PM
Admiral

Old August 13th, 2014, 08:08 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.S.Oceanlover View Post

Bill
Rockefeller has been getting a free ride himself for many years. Getting paid about $175,000 per year to do virtually nothing.
OASIS OF THE SEAS - 10/14/14
NAVIGATOR OF THE SEAS - 11/4/15
NAVIGATOR OF THE SEAS - 1/11/15
Old August 13th, 2014, 11:11 PM
Admiral

Not trying in anyway to turn this into a political debate but I'd like to just say one more thing and then as far as I'm concerned the case is closed. I do not, never have and probably never will understand why there's always some yahoo out there that seems to have it in for the cruise lines--pick on something else for a couple years and give the cruise lines a rest.
Sincerely, I thank you.
Old August 14th, 2014, 01:46 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron View Post
Not trying in anyway to turn this into a political debate but I'd like to just say one more thing and then as far as I'm concerned the case is closed. I do not, never have and probably never will understand why there's always some yahoo out there that seems to have it in for the cruise lines--pick on something else for a couple years and give the cruise lines a rest.
Sincerely, I thank you.

Amen!
Old August 15th, 2014, 02:17 PM
Admiral

At least he is finally retiring so won't be around much longer.