Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 17th, 2003, 08:49 AM
Desert Orchid

Default Re: Is Celebrity REALLY an upscale line?

I come from a family who had lots of connections-work wise-with the White Star Line also family who served in the Navy,so for me the choice was easy to make .For me cruising has always meant dressing for dinner,there is something so romantic about being at sea and it is nice to step out of todays hectic world and dream of what used to be.
That said I do not look down upon people who are dressed in jeans or whatever ,maybe they didn't research the cruiseline enough before booking but I am pretty sure that they don't make the same mistake again.
We cruise Celebrity because it is more traditional,I wouldn't like to put myself in an age bracket behaviour wise,the cruisers I have met have been all ages and have all been out to have a real good experience both onboard and onshore,some of the more senior cruisers are so wonderful to talk to, their experience of cruising and life in general is so fascinating to listen too .
I am not a cruise snob but I definately think Celebrity is a cut above some other lines and I hope it always stays that way.

Desert Orchid
Old July 17th, 2003, 08:33 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Is Celebrity REALLY an upscale line?

i cruised on celebrity 2/03 -my 10th overall cruise-i agree it is upscale among the mass mkt cruises--although i saw a definite deterioation in quality of food--ex--fish cakes for lunch at the buffet--this is not supposed to be camp or high school cafeteria food!
on the plus size waiters handing you trays and carrying them in buffet line--cloth napkins-
cold wash clothes when you return from tours --the little things that one remembers--but i guess its still a business and try to raise your expectations and cant always fulfill them
Old July 17th, 2003, 10:05 PM
Myles

Boy, did this subject touch a nerve or what? After attempting to digest the good, the bad and the ugly, I only have 2 comments to add that I think qualify as "the good". First, I like the idea of having some "adult only" cruises. There certainly was a need for it ;no offense intended for folks traveling with kids. Secondly, I believe sometimes we enjoy a particular cruiseline so much that after a few cruises the novelty begins to wear off and we begin to compare past cruises in our mind. It's like people saying" Hey, do you remember the good old days". Well, maybe they were the good old days and then again, maybe our memory is just focused on things when they were new and novel. Maybe it's human nature to find fault with things do to familiarity. I'm sure the Celebrity cruiseship scene has changed some over the last few years, but maybe, just maybe, some of that change has been us and our recollections.
Old July 22nd, 2003, 08:38 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Is Celebrity REALLY an upscale line?

Big Rooster,

The reason I changed is because my whiny fiancee nagged the crap out of me.

Wow! Where to begin?

>> If your tastes and your fiancee's tastes are as divergent as this comment implies (she likes fancy but you despise it, for example), what hope is there for a long-term relationship?

>> If the words that you use to describe your fiancee's actions ("whiny" and "nagged") are at all accurate, she is much too selfish and immature to maintain a healthy relationship with anybody -- and it undoubtedly will become more and more unbearable for you over time.

Your words indicate that you would do well to reconsider a whole lot more than just your choice of cruise line before you discover that you're headed for divorce.

Do choose prudently!

Norm.

A man should keep his eyes wide open before marriage; half shut after. -- Ben Franklin
Old July 27th, 2003, 12:11 PM
Evelyn Richardson

Default Re: Re: Re: Is Celebrity REALLY an upscale line?

I have cruised 10 cruises on Crystal, now I have 2 cruises booked on Celebrity. I expect differences. but still hope I will enjoy the cruises.

Why did I switch.? Crystal is NOT ALWAYS the upscale 6 star experience the company like to claim. There are slobs and badly behaved people on board --.they just think that they are entitled to behave that way because they can afford to cruise Crystal -viz they do not mind spending in excess of $500 per day for Crystal when they can get the same cruise on another line for less.

I realised on my 10th cruise that I was paying far too much for the Crystal name and not than getting a 6 star experience. In fact that cruise would only rate 3-4 stars poor food, dishes not available even though on the menu, shore tours cancelled at last minute,entertainment cancelled,and some staff so rude and indifferent they should find other work.

Interesting to read that Crystal is now actively courting "sales conventions" (or whatever fancy name they give it) the end result is a raucous, "booze up", leave the little lady at home and hope to get "lucky" on board event.

Who wants to pay over $500 per day to be stuck with that confined by the fact one is on a ship.?

Celeb have a great opportunity to offer value and service at a reasonable price and fill an empty niche as Crystal slips.
Old July 27th, 2003, 12:53 PM
BigRooster

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Is Celebrity REALLY an upscale line?

My my.

Aren't you the accomplished armchair psychoanalyst, as well as bon vivant and general expert on how life (especially not one's own) should be lived?

My words were chosen very carefully.
I can see that they had the desired effect.

You are too smug.
Comeuppance will be yours.
Old July 27th, 2003, 06:56 PM
Admiral

I anybody tired of this thread? Should we let it die of natural causes? Is this a record?