Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 10th, 2004, 01:48 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki
Default Ship's Secret Cabins

With alot of help from you, I'd like to write an article about the "Secret Cabins" on various ships.

Most ships have a few "secret cabins" which are different than other cabins within the same category. They could be different because of larger balconies, or large cabin because of the layout, etc.

Some examples might be the "hump cabins" on RCI Radiance Class, or the FVs on Celebrity, the aft cabins on many ships.

If you've ever stayed in one of these secret cabins I'd appreciate you posting the ship, cabin #, and ammenities that you felt gave it that something extra.

Also would like to hear about the awful secret cabins. Those that are noisy because of a bar or disco around it, etc.

Again.. please be specific, with ship, cabin #, and reason to avoid.

Thanks in advance with the help for this article. Hope I can get enough input to make it work.[/b]
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/

Last edited by Kuki; May 23rd, 2011 at 01:26 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old November 10th, 2004, 06:33 PM
gann

Default Re: Ship's "SECRET" Cabins

We stayed in cabin #6143 on the Infinity. It is back toward the stern of the ship among the suite cabins. The cabin is now classed as a 1A. It is about a foot wider than the other 1A's and has a much larger balcony which is a teak deck. Being among the suites it is very quite and is a real sleeper until this is posted!! If you get this cabin, I think you will be very happy.
Don
Old November 11th, 2004, 07:36 AM
Susan Hofer

We stayed in a FV cabin on Century which was at the back of the ship. There was no balcony but was very roomy for 2 people. I don't remember the exact cabin # but we were on Deck 8 and right by a staircase that took us up to the buffet for breakfast. That was very convenient. Did not notice any more motion or noise. There was a queen size bed w/sliding doors to separate it from the rest of the room, 2 couchs and a pull down. I think it would be quite tight for a family but quite cozy for the 2 of us.
Old November 15th, 2004, 11:30 AM
Mike & Charlotte

Why on this good Earth would anybody want to tell you which are the good cabins to give you information to publish in an article or a book?

If the whole world knew about them, those of us who discovered by chance or by carefully studying the deck plans would no longer be able to book them because all your readers would grab them up first.

I suggest that you do what we've done and learn firsthand by cruising. It would be a writeoff.

Charlotte
Old November 15th, 2004, 12:44 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Charlotte,

Thanks so much for the helpful response.

I'm really trying my darndest to get on every ship, and try every cabin, but I needed to start when I was younger <G>

I started my first book on my last cruise, and I'm hoping to finish reading it on my next.

This idea is just for an article I'd like to write for CruiseMates. The site was created to share all sorts of cruise information. Thousands of people a day use it is a tool to find and share useful information.

But.. no one is forcing you to help.

- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old November 15th, 2004, 01:31 PM
Captain

What a great idea...I look forward to your article.

Just got back from Summit - cabin 9161 on Sky deck...Had a great time
and an enjoyable cruise...our cabin was OK, but Sky deck wouldn't be
my first choice next time because the balcony has a large overhang
above it from Resort Deck. We didn't have an obstructed view, but we
couldn't see the beautiful moon that was shining during most of the cruise...
just the reflection on the water.

Also, there was noise from above during the wee early morning hours...
sounded like something "rolling" above us....now we were just under
the tables in the Waterfall Cafe, so the sound must have carried from
the buffet area as the staff was preparing for breakfast...the noise wasn't
enough to wake us up, but if we were awake, we heard it...we did get
used to it. Maybe an extremely light sleeper would find it bothersome.

Lou
Old November 16th, 2004, 09:26 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Ship's "SECRET" Cabins

When we cruised in March 2004 we were quite dissatisfied with Cabin 8102 on the Summit. It was just forward of the bump out for the suites, as a result, the Balcony was very small and "Pie Shaped". It was so small in fact that there was only room for 1 chair on the balcony. This meant that we could not sit out on the balcony together. Only one person could sit and the other had to stand.

We had booked the same Cabin on the Constellation for September of 2004, but immediately upon our return home from Summit we called our TA changed our booking to a different cabin so that we would have a full size balcony.

Queen Mary 2, Canada

Enchantment, Western Carribbean

Century, Caribbean

Century, Western Mediterranean

Jewel, Eastern Caribbean
Old November 18th, 2004, 06:48 PM
hcat

The other negative to 8102 was that the windows of the suite looked right onto the tiny balcony. Glad we changed our cabin on Consteallation-- We have a hump on Brilliance & will report back on that one....
Old November 19th, 2004, 09:34 AM
Deen

Wow can't believe you got so upset over a person trying to help out fellow cruisers. The more info you can only help you. I guess having inof on Iraq would not make it an ideal vaction spot right now, but if we took your advice we would have to find out for ourselves when we get there. CALM DOWN.
Old November 19th, 2004, 03:36 PM
First Mate

Kuki, where will you publish this article? I'd like to see it when it's done.

Queen Mary 2, Canada

Century, Caribbean

Jewel, Eastern Caribbean
Old November 20th, 2004, 07:09 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Default Re: Ship's

Sal:
Kuki's article would be published right here on the Cruisemates.com homepage. He will probably announce when it is up on the homepage.

Cruisemates Homepage The Internet's best online cruise magazine. It's more than just message boards.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old November 22nd, 2004, 08:10 PM
kated

I just booked cabin 8170 on the constellation and i'm pleased. Its a aft CC cabin and looks to have a larger balcony. The woman from celebrity said they were some of the most desirable. We will see :P
Old November 22nd, 2004, 09:43 PM
Admiral

Kuki:

Galaxy cabin 5069, inside cabin has a pole in the middle of the cabin in a very awkward position. Don't get up in the middle of the night without a night light or bathroom light on. May be other on the Galaxy and not sure of Century or Mercury.

Don
Old November 22nd, 2004, 09:51 PM
Admiral

Here's a link with some pictures if I can get it to work.

Don

http://cruiseclues.com/galaxy/stateroompole.htm
Old November 23rd, 2004, 07:04 PM
Administrator
Admiral

dkj:
In that position it looks like it would be a safety issue. I could see where someone could hurt themselves, especially in an inside cabin.

On the other hand; every cabin I've had has had a Pole in it. Her name is Betty or I should say Elzbietta. :-)

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old November 23rd, 2004, 07:10 PM
Admiral

Mike:

I agree and my pole is named Jeanne.

Don
Old December 2nd, 2004, 10:39 AM
Passenger

I found the last inside cabin on the vision class RCCL ships tends to be a little bigger. Plus it is near the stairs to the solarium. Personally, nothing can beat the aft balony cabins.
Old December 2nd, 2004, 12:55 PM
Cruise Maniac

First of all thanks Kuki, great idea. I wish someone would provide help with sorting out cabins, decks. Isnt that the reason we all read these boards in the first place?

On Princess Grand/Golden, if you are going to book a balcony definitely book on the Caribe Deck. The balconies are twice as deep as the standard balconies.

Now if someone can tell me if I am going to hear the noise from above in Cabin 1073 on the Celebrity Mercury, it would be much appreciated.
Old December 3rd, 2004, 08:13 PM
CruzCrazy

DISASTER cabins on the Horizon/Zenith:

Caribbean Deck AFT of ship. Approximately cabins numbers from 6129 to 6175.

The Caribbean Deck in underneath the kitchen galley and all night long you here machinery running and carts rolling around. You will also hear the ship's engines a vibrations from that as well.

I learned my lesson the hard way and I will never make that mistake again. I now only book my cabins sandwiched between other rooms on the upper and middle area of the ship.

Although I have noticed the newer ships do not have any rooms below the kitchen galley.
Old December 4th, 2004, 04:19 PM
RG

Adding further to the criticism regarding cabin 8102, we had the same disappointing experience with cabin 8108. It is located on the other side of the bump-out and so it too had that triangular-shaped balcony and front row view into the living room area of the expensive suite next door.
Old December 12th, 2004, 01:05 PM
Betty Boat

Cruz Crazy you have me upset now because I am booked on one of your so called disaster cabins for May to Bermuda. I originally had one booked for the mid section, but was concerned about being under the lounge (loud music) so my agent called Celebrity and they suggested one of the front aft cabins and said I would be under the card room. I sure hope they are right and you are wrong.
Old December 13th, 2004, 05:16 PM
Abbafan

Hi Kuki
What a great thread.
Based on our experience on the Millennuim, I wouldn't book 9105 again as we heard a lot of noise from the pool deck above, however our friends Denise and Bill had a great cabin 6144, it is a 1A Balcony in between the suites on the Penthouse deck and has a larger balcony with 2 sun loungers and a VCR in the room too.
Be interested to hear about the hump balcony cabins on the Brilliance as we have one booked for may in the Med.
Old December 17th, 2004, 11:21 AM
Karen Adelman

I just booked the Galaxy for July and was VERY worried about my cabin having heard of the illustrious poles. I am in abin 8151. i called Celebrity and was assured that "no poles exsist" in THEIR cabins. I SAW the pictures and I have heard from you guys that they do in fact exist. Is anyone familiar with my cabin?
Thanks!!!!!!
Old December 17th, 2004, 03:57 PM
CruzCrazy

Betty Boat,

If you go to the Celebrity website and go into the deck plans for the Horizon, you will see on the Galaxy Deck (which is above the Caribbean Deck) that large white space past the Starlight Restaurant is the Kitchen Galley.

Then if you go one deck down to the Caribbean Deck you will see a lot of green inside cabins that are directly under that white space (Kitchen Galley). This is where I was in the green cabins and it was extremely noisy.

So you are on the Bermuda Deck? It looks good under the card room.

If I ever go on the Horizon again (which I doubt) I would do the Atlantic Deck and be under a deck of only rooms.

The dining room food was very good on the Horizon, but I didn't care for the older ship ambiance. Just my opinion.

Have a great cruise.
Old December 17th, 2004, 07:54 PM
Betty Boat

Default Re: Re: Re: Ship's "SECRET" Cabins

Cruz Crazy, I am not on the Bermuda deck. I am on the Caribbean Deck Cabin 6137 and they told me I would be under the card room! I guess I better take ear plugs. I don't know what to do now because I will have to pay extra to change cabins.
Old December 18th, 2004, 07:50 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Ship's "SECRET" Cabins

Betty. I wouldn't think that the card room would be too raucous. Probably has carpets on the floor so you won't hear sliding chairs. And cards don't involve alot of screaming or anything. I would think that playing cards is a failry quiet activity. Should be ok.

Queen Mary 2, Canada

Century, Caribbean

Jewel, Eastern Caribbean
Old December 18th, 2004, 08:46 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Ship's "SECRET" Cabins

You appear to be okay for a cabin without a pole, my understanding is they are all on the Plaza deck.
Don
Old December 18th, 2004, 05:19 PM
Betty Boat

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Ship's "SECRET" Cabins

No Sal a card room would not be too raucous, but the truth is I was told it was a card room above me, but it is actually the kitchen gally with all the noise that Cruz Crazy stated. I called my travel agent today and I am so thankful that I was able to change my cabin to the Bermuda deck. Thanks to Kuki for starting this thread and for Cruz Crazy for warning me about these aft cabins on the Caribbean deck.
Old December 30th, 2004, 07:48 PM
Speakertosuits

On the Millenium class ships, the first eight 2C cabins forward have double length verandas (6021 to 6035 port and 6016 to 6020 starboard). You can see the lengthened verandas on a detailed side shot of these ships. The reason is that there is an overhanging section of the superstructure two decks above. The same cabins on deck 7 do not have the extra length and they can look down on to the extended part of the veranda for the deck 6 cabins (no nude sunbathing unless you are the type that discards three aces in a strip poker game ;-)
Old January 3rd, 2005, 03:10 PM
wannacruise

Concierge Cabin 9038 on the Millenium is a great cabin. The balcony has extra room as it is on a angle. The rest of the room is the standard size for concierge level, but the larger balcony makes it very very comfortable. It had a large table for breakfast, two padded chairs and a small round table. There actually would have been room for a lounger, but we didn't bother to ask for it. A great room (and if you get Vali as your attendant - it's an added bonus!)