Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 16th, 2005, 06:03 PM
Passenger

Default Celebrity vs RCI

Would love some imput on Celebrity vs RCI. I have never cruised Celebrity.

Voyager of the Seas 2004
Wonder 2005
Sponsored Links
Old July 16th, 2005, 11:00 PM
AR

Default Re: Celebrity vs RCI

What would you like to know?
Old July 17th, 2005, 10:58 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Celebrity vs RCI

Thanks. That info helps.
Old July 17th, 2005, 11:39 AM
Yeoman

Also remember that you can't compare a Ford Pinto to a Corvette made by Chevy. So take the age, size of the ships into account too. But I do agree with the poster as to demographics. Age and attitude of the passengers is also greatly changed by the length of the cruise (longer=less families and party types). We've done many cruises with "RCI" and decided to try "Celebrity." Yes, we had frog's legs at dinner but we were at a table pushed up against the staircase where there obviously used to be an aisle. Yes they had a higher staff to passenger ratio, which made it more obvious they were doing something wrong by not keeping the tables cleaned off. Complaining? Not really, there are always glitches on any cruise. I just didn't see enough difference to warrant the price difference.
Old July 17th, 2005, 01:39 PM
claude

Hi, Celebrity cruiser and Robbie hit it right on the head.
We personally prefer Celebrity, classier and more '' refined''.
As to prices, it seems to me that, over the last couple of years, there is very
little difference in comparable space,between the two. Of course, RCI does not
have the ''CC '' difference, and it probably would not sell as well to their own market
niche.
And.....RCI has not done the awful mistake Celebrity did: Cirque du Soleil.......
If you value gorgeous viewing areas,and sail Celebrity, just make sure you
don't pick Summit or Constellation.
As far as viewing areas are concerned, RCI 's are every bid as good as Celebrity
( and way better than Summit's and Connie's )

Happy sailing
Cheers
CG
Old July 17th, 2005, 06:24 PM
JSH

We like RCCL much better than Celebrity. Yes, the
comparable rooms are nicer on Celebrity, but
that is about it.

Crews are much nicer on RCCL. Celebrity is a bunch
of stuffed shirts. Crew acts like they are really doing you
a favor by waiting on you on Celebrity. Also, lots of
fancy names for things on the Celebrity menu which
the average person doesn't know what they mean.
Celebrity has to bring the deserts around on a tray at
dinner so you can see them because no one knows
what the names mean on the menu. Celebrity's
idea of 'polished and refined' service is really just
their way of saying rude and arrogant.

And yes, before the bashing starts, I have been on
both lines many times - 18 on RCCL and six on
Celebrity.

Old July 17th, 2005, 06:46 PM
hcat

Guess it is diferent strokes for different folks...
We enjoy both but there is really no way to compare the Celebrity ambiance & extras to Royal.(It is nice to have that sorbet poolside & the cool towels coming back from port) Royal ships are lighter & brighter , have more going on at times (the horse races are fun!) & are more casual; but they do attract many families & many children running around the ship unsupervised can really be annoying. Celeb has consistently better food (quality, presentation & service) and we find the guests are a bit more homogenous although international . Royal is now catering to a different market.--lots of Rap music & Salsa & geared to a younger crowd...maybe Carnival cruisers who now have moved on to families.... Nothing wrong with that--just all depends on what you are looking for on a particular vacation & it does not always have to be the same thing! Different ships & itins are fun to try--Hope this helps you make a choice you will enjoy! Both will offer a fun vacation.
Old July 17th, 2005, 06:57 PM
First Mate

Been on both, Celebrity is my cruiseline of choice.

Explorer of Sea 2003
Norwegian Dawn 2004,2005
Voyager of the Sea 05/05
Celebrity Zenith 1/23/06
Celebrity Century 11/13/06
Norwegian Dawn DD cruise 10/14/06
Celebrity Constellation TA 9/15/07
Norwegian Dawn 10/25-26 Nowhere
Old July 17th, 2005, 09:00 PM
Beginner

we have been on both. Royal first recommended bt TA. We have two chidren and she thought Royal would be better. Next cruise was Celebrity and we would never go back. We Did try HAL once-nice but still not Celebrity. Main reason is suite service. you do not get it on any other line.
As I mentioned we travel with 2 teens now and they love it. There are kids but on Celebrity but not hundreds. We are booked aagain on Mercury 3/06--can't wait
Old July 18th, 2005, 12:04 AM
kvanriper

RCI has started charging for burgers, ff, onion rings etc, they close the dining room for lunch for all but sea days, and the few days the dining room is open, the menu is very limited and does not change. There are no more discounts when you book a cruise for both lines.
Old July 18th, 2005, 01:51 PM
First Mate

We were on The Brilliance in March 2005, and it was overrun with unruley unsupervised children. It was impossible to get an elevator because they were playing on them all day and all night. You had to call to order room service because they were taking room service order forms off of door handles and putting the on other rooms. During an art auction some little genius decided to pour a cup full of chocolate syrup over the railing on the 11th floor onto guests attending the auction on the 4th floor in the centrum. I never saw anyone from the crew say a word to them about their behavior, and I was amazed that Royal had booked so many unaccompanied minors for this sailing .... I mean they must have been there by themselves because you never saw their parents. Frankly I prefer Celebrity, I've never encountered this type of situation on one of their ships. We are booked on the Enchantment in December of 2006 and if we have a recurrence of this type of miscreant behavior we will not be sailing on RCCL again.

Queen Mary 2, Canada

Enchantment, Western Carribbean

Century, Caribbean

Century, Western Mediterranean

Jewel, Eastern Caribbean
Old July 18th, 2005, 02:13 PM
Susan Hofer

The food on Celebrity is much better. I had a waiter on RCCL advise me not to get the lamb because is wasn't very good. He was right. I have had it on Celebrity & it was delicious. I have never had a waiter on Celebrity suggest that something wasn't very good and to try something else.

The showers on RCCL are tiny and in a corner! Celebrity's are more like a shower stall at home. If you are taller than 5'8" and heavier than 100 lbs, be wary of those showers.
Old July 18th, 2005, 04:26 PM
Sandra W

We have sailed both Celebrity and RCCI and prefer Celebrity for the service and food.

RCCI seems to appeal more to young families. The result? Too many unsupervised children on RCCI running amok with no parental control at all!

Celebrity appeals to us because there seems to be more couples...younger and older.

We are sailing on the Monarch of the Seas in September for a short quick cruise...with my brother and his young family. We already know that they will like RCCI because there will be MORE young couples with children on board. Well...we're ready...we know what to expect. Tiny rooms...middle of the road food...etc. But we will have a great time and so will they!

But for a real cruise vacation for just my husband and I or if we are cruising with another couple with no children......we pick Celebrity!
Old July 18th, 2005, 08:32 PM
Passenger

I can't believe all the great information shared here. I have made up my mind.I will try Celebrity! If I have more questions down the line I know where to come. I expected a couple replies, but this is wonderful. Thanks to everyone who took time to reply. Apprecated! Priscilla
Old July 19th, 2005, 06:46 PM
JSH

You will find unsupervised, poorly behaved kids on all cruise lines.
We have found the best thing to do is simply not cruise during the
times when there are going to be a large number of children on the
ship.
Old July 20th, 2005, 11:45 AM
Cruise Maniac

Both lines have thier good points. Celebrity has an older crowd and is more relaxed.
The food is pritty much the same. The entertainment is the same. Try Celebrity see if it's to your liking.
Old July 21st, 2005, 03:01 PM
Passenger

I agree with most of the posts. I have sailed 3 times: RCI (Enchantment of the SEas), Princess (Star), and most recently Celebrity (Horizon). I LOVED the Enchantment of the seas as she was an absolultely beautiful ship...and that was BEFORE they rehab'd her. Lots of kids tho and I can't blame the cruise line for unsupervised kids...but that's what it seemed to be. Princess was nice, but not as nice as I had expected. (that was an Alaska cruise so there weren't too many unruly kids on that one). We just came back from Celebrity to Bermuda out of PHiladelphia. Although the Horizon is older (and will be retired as of October), I can honestly say I prefer Celebrity. There were a few children on this cruise, but I will tell you, they were not unruly at all. THey had a program for the kids and from what I could see, they seemed to enjoy it. Perhaps less "glitz" and "things to break and play with" is the key? Celebrity simply had some staff members playing games with the kids and teaching them songs, etc. Quality time perhaps??? THe staff was wonderful at all times, and I just felt as though we were treated first class all the way. We were not in a suite, but we were in concierge class however we had friends staying in regular staterooms and they were treated just the same. Definately a cruise line with class and style! I can't wait for my next Celebrity Cruise!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old August 1st, 2005, 09:24 AM
Rich R.

go on Princess....been on both Celebrity(2 wks ago-Infinity) and RCI (2 yrs ago-Voyager) and Princess was better than both. The food isn't even a comparison. Princess wins hands down. Everything else has it's own plus & minuses. Voyager is an incredible boat though....and the cruise director Richard Spacey is well worth the price of admission. He makes that cruise ship. My wife still talks about him
Old August 7th, 2005, 11:07 AM
Passenger

I will be taking my first Celebrity cruise on the Constellation 17October and look forward to its highly touted dining experience.
I am wondering if, outside of room service, is there a 24 hour cafe on board?
I thoroughly enjoyed the Promenade Cafe on the Mariner of the Seas.
Is the Seaside or the Cova Cafe open all night?
I have read that the Cova Cafe items are complimentary except for specialty drinks.
What about regular coffee?
Is there anything similar to the Peek-a-boo bridge overlook on the Voyager class?
I enjoy comparing my hand-held GPS to the ships instruments and was disappointed on the Radiance of the Seas where there was no place anywhere near the bridge to peek.(HAL's ships are great for this).
Any feedback would be appreciated.

Old August 7th, 2005, 11:30 AM
David Starkey

Having sailed both Royal and Celebrity over a number of years and different ships...here's my two cents.
Food-No question...Celebrity food selection and taste is better.
Ship Activities-Royal
More spacious cabins-Celebrity
Ships staff-Celebrity
Attractive vessel-Royal
Royal does tend to attract more active young families and kids. Celebrity passengers usually a little older and more traveled.

I like the additional staffing and smaller passenger capacity of the Celebrity ships and the more subdued atmosphere on Celebrity.
Old August 7th, 2005, 05:31 PM
hcat

One thing that is nice on Royal is that when you are Diamond (10 cruises logged) there is a special Concierge lounge on Radiance class ships, with free drinks & appetizers & other concierge services...even can wait til the cabin is ready without hauling your overnight bags around....we are almost there but wish they would offer that on Celeb ships. Although we have Enchantment booked for a short trip, we are thinking that Celeb would be best for most of our future cruises--just a difference in the crowd--esp when it sails from Miami.
Old August 9th, 2005, 09:14 PM
CruzCrazy

Having sailed RCL 5 times (2 future cruises booked) and Celebrity 4 times (with 4 future cruises booked) , my first preference is Celebrity.

I agree with hcat that the Concierge Lounge is a nice perk on RCL and I also wish they had something like that on Celebrity.

If I do cruise RCL, the only ship I would cruise from now on is the Radiance Class (Brilliance, Jewel of the Seas). These are RCL's most beautiful ships.

It's all a matter of what you want out of your cruise experience.
Old August 10th, 2005, 09:55 AM
Cruise Maniac

I don't know if anyone else has noticed...but the Celebrity ships are a little harder to get around than RCCI. (This has NOTHING to do with service, etc.!)

On RCCI you can walk from one end of the ship to the other....On Celebrity..you can't. We found this a tad inconvenient and confusing.
Old August 10th, 2005, 12:56 PM
hcat

Agree to some extent but there were some definitely easier ways to get through on M class than Radiance class..esp regarding access & egress from the Theater aftre it let out--only one way to go ....Both are nice layouts--my favorite ship size...
Old August 11th, 2005, 06:28 PM
gail neace

well i hope summit isnt as bad as person thought on this board.we are booked on summit mar 2005 for two wk hawaii. we have sailed royal carribbean four times on four different ships not one complaint for either one of them.we loved them all. was really suprised when we done coral princess to alaska we did not care for princess at all. we are all different. we sure love cruising tho wish we had started a long time ago.anyone been on summit lately that had a good time let me know our first time on celebrity.
explorer of the seas 2002
navagitor of the sea 2003
coral princess 2004
mariner of the seas 2005
Old August 13th, 2005, 09:13 PM
CruzCrazy

I was on the Summit on it's 10-night Ultimate Southern Caribbean last December and I found nothing wrong with this ship. This itinerary is the best and I've booked it again for 2007 but on the Constellation.

The food on the Summit was great, the service outstanding and the martinis were the best I've had on all the M Class ships.

I'm on the Infinity next April for the first time, then back on the Summit next December for a 14-night R/T to Hawaii, can't wait.

Have a wonderful cruise and I'm looking forward to Hawaii as well.

I found all the M Class ships to be fabulous.
Old August 14th, 2005, 01:31 PM
eunice kirby

I am hearing horrendous stories regarding the trip from Philadelphia to Bermuda; i.e., sea sickness in a ship of this size. I am planning to wear patches; any other suggestions? WE havealways traveled RC large ship category . Going on the Horizon.
Old August 14th, 2005, 07:20 PM
gail neace

the first time we cruised i was so excited i forgot to take my pills dr had given me i had to hold on to the walls to get back to our room from the dining rom, i took my pills from then and didnt have anymore problems. good luck.
Old August 15th, 2005, 03:21 PM
Susan Hofer

Default Re: Re: Re: Celebrity vs RCI

Hi Gail,

We have been on the Summit to Hawaii in 2002 and found it magnificent. We are booked on her again in Jan back to Hawaii from LA. Really looking forward to being on her again. I'm sure you will find her to be everything you can imagine.
Old August 21st, 2005, 08:42 PM
First Mate

The Horizon is a very small ship compared to Voyager series. Have been on her 3 times. the seas were rough bc of the tropical storm, not too much you can do about that. Food and service are wonderful. The Horizon is going to leave the fleet, so i would welcome the opportunity to sail on her. I cruised the voyager giants, but I am going on the Zenith in January which is exactly the same as the Horizon. Wonderful ship, don;t worry about the sea no storms coming you should be ok.

Explorer of Sea 2003
Norwegian Dawn 2004,2005
Voyager of the Sea 05/05
Celebrity Zenith 1/23/06
Celebrity Century 11/13/06
Norwegian Dawn DD cruise 10/14/06
Celebrity Constellation TA 9/15/07
Norwegian Dawn 10/25-26 Nowhere