Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 15th, 2006, 11:24 PM
First Mate

Send a message via MSN to NY Cruisin Mama
Default Pills for Malaria - Panama Canal Cruise

Has anyone done this?? What do you take and how often? The "skeeters"
absolutely love my husband and I and we usually get bitten over the
course of the summer in Western New York so I am really concerned about the tropics, especially as we want to take shore excursions into the
countryside and some fishing. We are sailing on Jan,. 6, 2007. Also, when do you start taking this medication??
Sponsored Links
Old December 16th, 2006, 02:53 AM
Admiral

Sherrie Platt,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
course of the summer in Western New York so I am really concerned about the tropics, especially as we want to take shore excursions into the
countryside and some fishing. We are sailing on Jan,. 6, 2007. Also, when do you start taking this medication??
There's no need to take medicine for malaria on a "Panama Canal" cruise. The U. S. government cleaned out the mosquitos, and thus the malaria, in the "Panama Canal Zone" before completing work on the canal. The area is no longer swamps, and thus no longer a breeding ground for mosquitos, so the malaria has not returned.

Norm.
Old December 16th, 2006, 10:30 PM
First Mate

Send a message via MSN to NY Cruisin Mama

Thanks Norm = How about Costa Rica - we are going into the countryside
on some walks and river boat rides??
Old December 16th, 2006, 11:39 PM
Admiral

Sherrie,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Thanks Norm = How about Costa Rica - we are going into the countryside
on some walks and river boat rides??
There's no problem at all with malaria in Costa Rica, as it also is not a swampland. In fact, Costa Rica is the most developed country in Central America. It has been a stable republic for over a century now, with a stable economy fueled by agriculture (coffee, sugar, and bananas are major exports) and, now, tourism, and a very competent and capable public health service that eradicated diseases like malaria, in any regions where they might have existed, a long time ago.

If you are stopping in either Puntarenas or Puerto Caldera, I highly recommend the tour of Sarchi and Grecia. The "all metal church" in Grecia is a true work of art, so it's worth the stop. In Sarchi, the locals make bars, with storage for your booze and glasses in the form of traditional ox carts and paint them in traditional schemes that are quite colorful; they remind me of the artistic designs of the so-called "Pennsylvania Dutch." The shops in Sarchi also sell Costa Rican coffee (be sure to try the "dark roast"), which is a great souvenir. Sarchi and Grecia are about an hour from both ports, but most of the other attractions are even further.

Also, put some faith in your cruise line! Celebrity simply is not going to arrange exccursions to areas where malaria and other diseases are a significant hazard!

Norm.
Old December 17th, 2006, 08:19 AM
Familiar Face

Norm

I agree that mosquitoes are no longer a problem in these areas, but there is still the possibility of getting malaria, although quite small. My DW and I did a river tour in Panama and went to "Monkey Island" in Costa Rica. When we returned home, we were scheduled to give blood a month latter with the American Red Cross. Because of the possibility of malaria, we couldn't give blood for a year. These areas are still on their "hot" list. Sherrie, I personally didn't worry about it , but if you want peace of mind, take the pills or shots. Just my 2C.

Joy & Peace in Christ,

Bob

Bob
Old December 18th, 2006, 07:32 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Pills for Malaria - Panama Canal Cruise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherrie Platt
Actually, there is an alert from the CDC for Jamaica due to some Malaria problems.

http://www.cdc.gov/travel/other/2006...ia_jamaica.htm

Don
Old December 31st, 2006, 12:24 AM
Cruise Maniac

We were in Costa Rica as part of our PC cruise in Feb. '05. We were on a "Pontoon Boat Jungle Ride" excursion on a river with rain forest on both sides of us. The guide said not to worry about mosquitos because they didn't come out before 5:00 PM. We didn't see any bugs except butterflies/dragonflies. We did see a line of long-nosed bats resting on the underside of a palm tree overhanging the river. They get active when the mosquitos do so they can chow down on them.
Old January 3rd, 2007, 07:45 PM
Captain

Sherrie: If you happen to see this post before you leave, my husband
and I did a neat fishing shore excursion while stopping at Panama.
We were on Summit, but excursion may be available for you, too.
It was fishing in Gatun Lake. It was so much fun if you like the outdoors
(there were no bugs). Mostly men, with one other couple with their
child. We were in 2 large wooden row boats, and set off...The men
I were with were so serious, they brought their own fishing poles.
I thought to myself to really try not to cast my line into brush, get it
tangled, etc. All in all, I held my own and caught the first fish.
The mate on board takes care of baiting your hook, taking fish off,
etc. so all you do is fish, look at the quiet, beautiful scenery and relax.
Old January 28th, 2007, 10:39 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Skype™ to scapel

Malaria is transmitted by the Anopholes Mosquito (30-40 of the 400 or so species) which is a night biting mosquito. You should be aboard ship at night. I would not take pills even in Equador or Peru unless I was spending several nights there.