Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 1st, 2007, 12:33 PM
First Mate

Happy New year. Wish I was there but I have a cruise in a couple of weeks. Hope you are all enjoying your cruise.
Grant
Old January 1st, 2007, 12:41 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Here are pics from last night's champagne reception:

[img]/gallery/galleries/3213/thumb59584.jpg[/img]
[img]/gallery/galleries/3213/thumb59585.jpg [/img]
[img]/gallery/galleries/3213/thumb59586.jpg[/img]
[img]/gallery/galleries/3213/thumb59587.jpg[/img]
[img]/gallery/galleries/3213/thumb59588.jpg[/img]
[img]/gallery/galleries/3213/thumb59589.jpg[/img]
[img]/gallery/galleries/3213/thumb59590.jpg[/img]
[img]/gallery/galleries/3213/thumb59591.jpg[/img][img]/gallery/galleries/3213/thumb59592.jpg[/img]
[img]/gallery/galleries/3213/thumb59593.jpg[/img]
[img]/gallery/galleries/3213/thumb59594.jpg[/img]
[img]/gallery/galleries/3213/thumb59595.jpg[/img]

To see full size, go to
http://cruisemates.com/gallery/view.php?id=3213
Old January 1st, 2007, 12:53 PM
Admiral

Happy New Year to all those on the Cruise of the Century!
Mariner of the Seas

HAL Statendam Alaska Cruise Tour - 09/09/12; Disney Magic - 12/01/12; Allure of the Seas - 05/26/13
Old January 1st, 2007, 12:53 PM
Administrator
Admiral

I just wanted to say that last night we had a great reception where dozens of people filled Nancy's Penthouse. We took a lot of pictures, but the highlight of the evening was when Kuki did his striptease to show off the Happy New Year 2007 thong made for him by Linda Pearl.

In attendance were Seatrekker, MichelleP, Trip, Mary Lou, SCcooper, Cruisenut, Lisa, Kuki an just many many more people who will post later.

Yes, we DID get it on video, and if you are inclined to see it, you can click here: (recommended for broadband connections only).

http://www.cruisemates.com/video/kukistriptease.wmv

The following NYE reception up on deck was a hoot, and unlike Princess cruises in 2001 when they were actually charging passengers for champage at midnight, they were actually giving away free champagne to everyone starting from the time we got up there.

We got more group gifts courtesy of a friend od Nancy who put together packages of streamers, bubbles, fun 2007 glasses, etc.
Old January 1st, 2007, 01:00 PM
Admiral

KUKI! Shame on you!

Didn't the videographer know where the zoom control was located on the camera? Can't believe I missed this -- Priceless!
Mariner of the Seas

HAL Statendam Alaska Cruise Tour - 09/09/12; Disney Magic - 12/01/12; Allure of the Seas - 05/26/13
Old January 1st, 2007, 01:28 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to dfhawk60 Send a message via Yahoo to dfhawk60 Send a message via Skype™ to dfhawk60

That was just way too funny. KUKI you sure do live up to your nick name!
RCCL Navagitor of the Seas - Nov 26, 2005 (W.Caribbean) | Carnival Glory - April 15, 2006 (E.Caribbean) | Carnival Victory - Aug 21, 2006 (Canada) | Carnival Glory - July 28, 2007 (W.Caribbean) | Carnival Fascination - Aug 4, 2008 West Caribbean | HAL Eruodam - April 11, 2009 East Caribbean | Carnival Fredom - Aug 9, 2009 | Carnival Pride Feb 20,2011 (Bahamas) | NCL PrideOfAmerica April 16,2011 (Hawaii)
Old January 1st, 2007, 01:53 PM
Admiral

I'm scarred for life.
Old January 1st, 2007, 02:30 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Well; I finally have had a chance to post some pictures from New Years Eve. They are in the photo gallery.

I don't want to rub it in but this is one hell of a fun cruise. It is wonderful to be with all these friends that I've seen and those that I've only corresponded with online. It is wonderful!!!

I want to thank everyone for making this one of the best cruises I have ever been on. Betty also wants to thank everyone. Even though she doesn't get on the boards she feels like she is one of the family.

I have posted some pictures in the gallery from the New Years Eve Party from Nancy's and Paul's wonderful New Year's party.

Well Paul and Lou Anne just dropped by so I better go.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old January 1st, 2007, 03:01 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

Happy New Year Century Cruisers!! I am really enjoying the pictures of this cruise. Keep them coming. So glad that everyonr is having a lot of fun.

Laura
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didnt do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
---Mark Twain

Old January 1st, 2007, 09:03 PM
Beginner

Send a message via Yahoo to niceNMguy
Default Sounds like a great time was had by all!

From the descriptions, everyone seems to have a 'spouse' - does CruiseMates imply a member having a significant other....like a DH and DW as 'mates'? Do any singles ever go on CruiseMates excursions?
Old January 1st, 2007, 09:49 PM
Administrator
Admiral

CruiseMates as a a name does not signify that we pair people together, but there are a number of singles on this trip who met in our boards. Some are sharing cabins (a good way to cruise as a single and save money) and some are cruising solo in their own cabins and paying single supplement.

MOst of us are couples, though, who have jusy become friends over thw years. It is just more fun to sail as a group, that's all. And you usually save some money, too.
Old January 1st, 2007, 11:30 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

Okay, let me get this straight. Our Linda(Trip) went the Kuki, and said "I have a surprise for you, so pull down your pants, and let me measure."

Looks like you guys are having a great time.

Luanne
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old January 2nd, 2007, 04:04 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Trip has been making me themed thongs for a number of years. It started out as a "gag" in chat. She presented me with the "New Years" version at the pre-cruise.

New Years Eve seemed a suitable time to "show" her how it looked
Old January 2nd, 2007, 04:05 AM
Admiral

Jan. 1 - First Day of a New Year

At last a sea day! A morning with no wake up calls, and if you so desired, a day to sleep in late and just relax, and we did! Mrs. Kuki and I got up on deck by about 10 A.M., had some breakfast on the deck at the Sunset Bar, where we met up with a bunch of the group. Then moved over to poolside for a couple of hours to enjoy the sunshine.

There were crew members poolside removing towels from loungers that were obviously just being held for later, and making them available to other passengers.

After some “baking time? we retreated to the Sunset Bar area once again. There’s a canopy covering the majority of that deck area, supplying shade. This seems to have turned into a daytime meeting area for quite a number of people in the group. We spent most of the afternoon here socializing, with various CruiseMates coming and going, before we headed inside for an afternoon nap in preparation for the group cocktail party at 5 PM.

The cocktail party was TERRIFIC!! Mike welcomed everyone, and then Trip, made a presentation to our very veteran CruiseMates Ray and Helen, who are celebrating their 65th wedding anniversary. A HEARTY congratulations to a truly wonderful couple, who are so obviously still in love!

In preparation for the cruise Trip had welcomed people to make small donations in advance to go in on a gift for Ray and Helen. So many CruiseMates, including many not even cruising with us, chipped in that Trip was able to purchase quite an assortment of gifts for them. Ray and Helen were truly touched, and it was another VERY SPECIAL CruiseMates moment!

RollerDonna wrote a wonderful “Cruisemates song“, set to the tune of Sloop John B,
and the lyrics were printed out and given to everyone. She did seem a bit taken aback when I asked her to come lead the group in singing it, but after some wrist twisting she led us in a fun song, and kudos for her for writing it and singing it beautifully!! GREAT job Donna!

That wasn’t the end of the singing either. A sort of CruiseMates group cruise tradition has been to sing the theme song for Gilligan’s Island, or a reworked CruiseMates version of the tune on many of our group cruises. I had wrote an “updated? version, and Donald (Run514) who has been on probably the 2nd most of our CruiseMates group cruises, led the gang in the 2007 version.

We then had some fun awards and prize giveaways, courtesy of the brewery who used to supply my bar… and by then it was time for early seating dinner, as well as the beginning of scheduled dining times in Muranos for the group… which continued throughout the evening. And everyone will be happy to hear that at the cocktail party I kept my pants on… so everyone left with appetites in tact.

Mrs Kuki and I were scheduled for Muranos at 8:30 P.M, so when the cocktail party ended at 6 P.M, a bunch of us still had time to catch the 7 P.M show, Matilda (billed as the most popular comedienne in Jamaica). Matilda is dummy (literally), and a very cute ventriloquist show. It started out a bit slow, but got me giggling as the show went on.

Afterwards we headed to Muranos for a superb evening. On the first day of the cruise I had met with Dominique Gamba, the Maitre d’ of Muranos to go over the reservations for the group for both days that I had reserved the restaurant for. He was excellent to work with; a true professional, and we easily made the adjustments necessary to make our reservation work.

From the time I requested the original reservations (back in early November) there had been some miscommunications between us, the people at Celebrity who Nancy was working with to get us confirmed, and the ship. Thankfully, it all got sorted out just prior to our departure for the cruise. However I was sad to have learned that since Captain’s Club hadn’t been notified very early on that the restaurant was reserved, they had still been taking reservations from passengers outside of our group. Celebrity did notify people, either before or onboard that their reservations had to be moved, or cancelled, and some of these passengers were quite upset. We felt very bad about this ourselves, for both the passengers who’s reservations had been cancelled, and Dominique and his staff who had to deal with all their complaints.

As to the restaurant experience itself, certainly everyone from the group who I spoke with tonight enjoyed the experience, and it seems most everyone agreed the restaurant is worth the $30 per person surcharge. Combine the attentive and artistic butterfly service with wonderfully prepared foods, surrounded by good friends, and it was tough to have anything but an outstanding evening. Many pictures and stories will follow I’m sure!

Tomorrow, a port of call in Grand Cayman.
Old January 2nd, 2007, 04:17 AM
Admiral

BTW.. Donna asked me to pass on a personal message...

Hello and Happy New Year to Margaret and Peter Seitl in Nova Scotia.
Old January 2nd, 2007, 10:54 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Good morning everyone from Grand Cayman:

Kuki has informed you of the fun we had at the Cruisemates cocktail party. In my thanks I did forget to thank Mary Lou for the beach bags and Rollerdonna for the Cruise Tune CD’s. Everyone loves both of them. (The gifts and the ladies ) I will make sure I give them their “props?, tomorrow, during trivia.

I also want to thank Kuki for my “St. Louis Hotel 1985 Calendar?. I would post a picture of it but, alas I would have to delete it if I did. Regardless, it is now signed by Kuki and will now have a special place above my server.

There are at least six ships anchored in Grand Cayman but I think there is one more hiding behind one of the Disney ships. The population of Grand Cayman has increased by about 15,000 today.

Last nights dinner at Murano’s was truly a great experience. Alternative dining is where Celebrity truly sets itself apart from other lines. The butterfly service and four star presentations are two notches above any other line. The $30 additional fee is well worth the charge for this dining experience plus my dining companions made it even better.

We may jump off the ship and pick up a couple of rum cakes, a few t-shirts and if I can slip off the leash, perhaps I can pick up a watch without Betty knowing it.

I have been told that the alternative dining in the buffet area is fabulous. Even though reservations are “recommended? there are plenty of tables on most nights and the food is excellent. It is a great alternative for those who do not wish to do the main dining room on some nights.

It is now time for trivia, so I’m off and then it’s to see if “I? can melt the credit card.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

Old January 2nd, 2007, 11:43 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to JamesRT Send a message via MSN to JamesRT Send a message via Yahoo to JamesRT

Thank's for all the postings.
Good to be able to see the faces of all the CM's I've met in chat and on the boards.
Looking forward to the day I can meet everyone in person.Mike RayB's granddaughter makes the best Rum Cakes ever.Check with him about them.Mam(Trip) Now I know what you look like
Kuki,you are a good sport,you can attend any party that I give!
RD enjoyed the pics of you and family
Keep enjoying your cruise and keep posting!
Old January 2nd, 2007, 06:20 PM
Admiral

This is the first chance I've had to post.....it has taken me this long to get over the trauma I experienced on New Year's Eve. Suffice it to say it stems from a pantless moose! There are just no words.
It has been so much fun spending time with so many Cruisemates: some I've sailed with before and some I feel like I've know forever.
It is wonderful celebrating Ray and Helen's 65th wedding anniversary with them. We are fortunate enough to be seated with the lovebirds at dinner each night. They were overwhelmed by the gifts at the cocktail party. It is so much fun watching those two together.
We are off to Murano's for our dinner tonight...cannot wait to try it. Then tomorrow is our last day...it goes by much too quickly.
RCCL Allure of the Seas - September 18, 2011
Celebrity Eclipse - February 11, 2012:
RCCL Navigator OTS - February 9, 2013
Old January 3rd, 2007, 12:36 AM
Admiral

Jan. 2

We’ve been to Grand Cayman quite a number of times, and as there were six large ships in port today, Mrs. K and I decided to spend the day onboard.

Of interest I thought -- I was told the ship’s tours to Sting Ray City were cancelled today, due to the low number of bookings. This is the likely result of the two high publicized, and fairly recent deaths as result of sting ray encounters. Totally isolated accidents really, but this certainly clearly shows the effects these types of incidents can have. You have to feel for all the tour operators who were generally all kept busy with these popular excursions.

I thought in today’s report I’d talk about the ship itself, and the “Century cruise experience“, and not just the group’s activities. You can find many of my descriptions about the ship in the “Century Make Over? article back in November, located in Ship Features Articles.

Though some of what I’m going to talk about indirectly relates to the group cruise.- but more to some of their individual experiences onboard. They’ve described them to me, but I wasn’t there during these encounters, so I’m not relating personal experiences.

One issue that arose for Larry & Sharon (LS80) -- they had gone to the dining room for open seating breakfast, and were apparently dealt with in a VERY rude manor by the service staff. Details are sketchy, and it’s surprising to hear that this incident would involve this particular couple, as they are one of the sweetest and quietest couples in our group. They were so upset by their treatment, combined with slow service at their dining room table that they went to guest relations to express their complaint. They moved up the ladder a bit at guest relations, but weren’t certain of the position of the person they finally discussed the issues with. At least from what I heard from Larry and Sharon, it doesn’t seem to me that the issue was resolved entirely satisfactorily. But then I’m not sure if it was taken to the Restaurant Manager, or Hotel Director to handle, as should have been the case.

They were offered a table for 2 in the dining room, which would have meant leaving their table with the CruiseMates group. They were then offered reservations at the Islands Café, casual evening dining facilities. Last night the two of them chose that option, and did say they had great service and a very enjoyable meal there, and they as well as their assigned dining room tablemates chose to have dinner there again tonight.
In my view, the proper resolve for this situation would have been for the restaurant manager, or whoever they talked to, should simply asked them to return to their regular assigned table and assured them the service issues would be corrected immediately; with either additional help supplied to their wait team, or a more capable wait team assigned to that table.

The above situation is odd because almost everyone in the group who I’ve talked to talk about the friendly and helpful staff they’ve encountered in every area of the ship. Everyone is duly impressed.

Within the group of 150 I’ve heard a couple other complaints about dining room service, but in many ways this is a “luck of the draw? situation. Though one can say it shouldn’t happen and no excuses are acceptable, in a large staffing situation, there are going to be the odd wink links. The very best thing we passengers can do it is bring it directly to the attention of the head waiter and Maitre ‘D, and if necessary, to the Hotel Director.

Overall the “New Century? is still one of my favorite ships, with beautiful décor, a very easily navigated layout, and excellent food quality. My previous experience on Celebrity ships has left me less than impressed with their buffet offerings. After-all on many cruise lines buffets are simply buffets, a spot to grab a quick bite, long on choices, but often short on taste. On this trip I’ve found the quality of the buffet offerings to be equal to the best I’ve experienced.

And a nice touch on Celebrity are the staff always handy by the buffet offering to carry guest’s trays to a table.

I always considered Celebrity/RCI pizza to be amongst the worst in the industry, and though it may seem odd to talk about pizza in regard to a cruise line more renowned for it’s “fine cuisine?, I find their new pizza to be quite outstanding!

Interestingly, in discussions with Dominique, Murano's Maitre D, we were told that with the Century doing these alternating 4 and 5 day itineraries, Muranos specialty restaurant is pretty much fully booked every evening of every cruise… which is not regularly the case on other Celebrity ships featuring similar alternate restaurants sailing longer cruises.

Tomorrow morning is a group “CruiseMates trivia? that Mike has put together, followed by our gathering for a group picture in the Centrum.

It’s amazing and sad that tomorrow is the last day of this cruise. In so many ways it was exactly what I expected, because of the really wonderful people who visit CruiseMates, and chose to come on this cruise; truly a GREAT GREAT group of people, and the Century has served us all well as an excellent venue for our gathering!
Old January 3rd, 2007, 01:38 PM
Beginner

It sounds like everyone is having a great time on this cruise. I have been watching the activities and enjoying seeing the pictures. Please wish my parents Ray & Helen a "Happy Anniversary" from their daughter (Kay). It is so good to see them having fun after all of these years and six children later. Not many couples are blessed with reaching 65 years together. They are both young at heart and always ready to go on a cruise!!!!

Have fun everyone and maybe one of these days we will join your group for a cruise.
Old January 3rd, 2007, 01:42 PM
Familiar Face

Happy New Year to all Cruisemates!
Thank you guys so much for posting your experience. I'm sad for everyone that it's ending. It sounds like everyone had a great time. I'm so longing to go on another cruise. Right now I do not have one booked. Hopefully soon.
Thank you again!
Shari
Old January 3rd, 2007, 10:18 PM
Admiral

Jan. 3 - Last Full Day of the New Year’s Group Cruise

This was a bit of a tough day; bitter sweet because it’s the last day to enjoy a great group of cruise friends… all of us brought together by CruiseMates. It’s very difficult to describe the bond that’s been felt with everyone in the group throughout this cruise. With a group this size, of course it’s almost impossible to really visit and talk to every single person in the group. However, I do have to say everyone in the group has been really nice, and very friendly towards everyone else in the group. There’s been no cliques or such that I’ve witnessed that might have come in the way of meeting new friends. I do believe that everyone has been made to feel welcome.

A five day cruise just turned out to be way too short. I don’t think there’s anyone in the group who’s anxious to get off the ship tomorrow!

Some are lucky to be staying on for a two day cruise the ship had scheduled, and some chose to book into to make it a full week. And there’s a number from this group who have booked next week’s CruiseMates Group Cruise with me on the Carnival Liberty; and we’ll be joined by others who only booked next week’s cruise.

As a matter of fact, beginning Jan. 6 you’ll be able to switch gears with us and share our Virtual Cruise Reports live daily from the Liberty…right here at CruiseMates. Of course, I’m sure you’ll be busy reading the stories, and looking at the pictures from all those CruiseMates returning home from this cruise too.

Back to this cruise.

A bit of information for those who may have already booked the new Sunset Verandah cabins, or other cabins on the stern, booked for upcoming cruises, or considering booking them…

Though cabins facing aft are often some of the most popular cabins on ships, there are some drawbacks to this type of cabin on the Century that you may find helpful to know. There is a narrow view upwards from the Sunset Bar just below on Deck 11 which allows those below a bit of a peak up to those verandahs, and they are totally open to above, if privacy is a concern. Because the Sunset Bar deck area is pretty popular there are also some mostly noise issues, but mostly noticeable when the balcony doors are open.

The category NS cabins, just below the Sunset Bar, and also facing aft, have some minor problems with “stuff? (sugar and salt packs, napkins, etc.) blowing down onto their balconies from the Sunset Bar area above. And, like the Sunset Verandah’s, there are some noise issues both in the morning when the breakfast crowd eats out there, and in the evening when a guitarist entertains.

If you’re considering an aft, stern facing cabin on the Century, I recommend looking below Penthouse Deck (Deck 10).

I’ve heard some comments from people who sailed the Century a couple of weeks ago regarding encountering a demographic unlike what they had come to expect on Celebrity; more of a party hardy crowd. This was certainly not the case on our sailing. If anything, many people were commenting on the older crowd, and the resulting quiet night life onboard. This demonstrates that these things change from week to week, and that it’s very hard to make accurate generalizations about this type of thing.

To respond in advance to the ever present discussions on dress codes -- on the 4 and 5 night itineraries there is one designated Formal night, and on the 5 night itinerary, one Informal (jacket for men). On formal night most of the male passengers were indeed wearing either tuxedos, or suits. However, there were some wearing just sports shirts and slacks, and they were not turned aside at the dining room door.

For the designated “Informal? night, men in jackets were more a rarity than the norm. Informal nights seem to have gone the way of the hula hoop on most cruise lines these days. Seemingly these days, to the majority of passengers, Informal means casual.
This is not a comment on how things should be, only a reporting of facts as we’ve witnessed them.

At noon today we played Mike’s CruiseMates Trivia, and he did an outstanding job, with questions, and the winning team won CruiseMates luggage tags that Mike and Betty had made. After the trivia we collected in the “Centrum? for a group photo. When the picture gets posted don’t go asking for everyone’s name. We did make one terrific looking and happy group!

The last night’s dinner is always kind of similar, with tip envelopes, thanking the wait staff, and saying goodbye to friends you’ve met during the cruise. Tonight was particularly tough because we got to get to know so many of the wonderful people who visit the site… and now we truly are “cruise mates?. I’m really going to miss table hopping in the dining room visiting so many people each night.

Tomorrow, I plan on a small wrap up piece, with some more ship details… and then I hope the returning CruiseMates will jump in here and share their experiences and opinions, because, of course, we can all only see the cruise through our own eyes.
Old January 3rd, 2007, 10:38 PM
Admiral

Kuki, and the others on the cruise that have shared with us, thank you. I knew that this cruise was shaping up to be something really special. It was very hard sitting on the sidelines, when I wanted to be in the middle of all the action. Keep the information coming!
Mariner of the Seas

Old January 4th, 2007, 01:31 AM
Admiral

Yeah. I'm tired of sticking pins into my "Century Cruiser's" dolls....

Hurry up and get back here, where I can get my hands on all of youse.

Just 1 month to go until the "Cruise Cynic Mystery Cruise" ... January 2008
Old January 4th, 2007, 12:23 PM
Admiral

Well it is officially over. It is always wonderful cruising with CruiseMate pals, but I would have to say I was "underwhelmed" with the ship. I have to totally agree with Kuki's assessment of the aft balconies....we were in cabin 1251 and I would not recommend it to anyone in the future. We booked this cabin before it was even built.....maybe not such a good idea.
I do have to say that disembarkation went very smoothly. We were quite shocked at the warehouse atmosphere where we had to locate our luggage and go through customs. During the cruise, we were reminded on two separate occasions by Celebrity staff that Celebrity is a "5 Star Cruiseline"....well, you would never know it by the luggage location. I guess I am very spoiled with RCL's luggage handling on the pier. But, it did all go smoothly and we are already in our room at the Holiday Inn.
Just a side note, priority walk off from the ship was at 6:50 a.m. So anyone with an early flight should not have had any problems.
Old January 4th, 2007, 05:22 PM
Admiral

Hi all. We arrived back home late this morning from our Cruise of the Century. It really was a wonderful time with a fantastic group of people!

Jake and I were disappointed with our favorite cruise line for the very first time. We happened to sit with our friends Larry and Sharon at the dinner table, and would have to agree that the service was not the best. New Years Eve was a real doozy! We decided to stick it out for the week as the problems didn't seem to be unmanageable, and we did like our waiter even if things seemed to go wrong. We noted our concerns on our comment card, and will leave it at that.

The high light of my cruise was being with Ray and Helen as they enjoyed their 65th wedding anniversary party. It's impossible to not fall in love with them. What a joy to join in the celebration of their long and happy marriage.

A big thank you to Mike and Betty, Kuki and Geela, Rollerdonna, MaryLou, Paul and LuAnn, Carol & Earl, Nancy and all of those who worked so hard to make this a fabulous Cruisemates cruise!

Phyll
Old January 4th, 2007, 07:40 PM
Admiral

Evening from the Holiday Inn on the Beach in Ft. Lauderdale. Tweety booked this for us using the Entertainment Book, and it's located right across the street from the beach, just off Sunrise Blvd.

Had some "interesting" times getting my rental car this morning (that's another story ), but did get here to meet Gaile and Harry.

We went to Bimini Boat Yard for lunch on the patio in amongst all the yachts! Mrs. Kuki wowed me by heading out this afternoon to do some laundry (there's a laundromat right around the corner), instead of napping like I did.

In about a half hour we're meeting Tweety, Harry, Ray and Helen downstairs to head out for some dinner.

ML.. I understand about the "luggage warehouse" , but that's the way pretty much everyone but RCI (in their new Miami terminals) handles it... colored tagged luggage in seperate areas.
Oddly ( I know) I find the system works better. When we've been with RCI in Miami, where they use airport style carousels, we've gotten stuck with luggage on the wrong carousels, and finding them was a chore.

The "warehouse" system doesn't look pretty, but I've always found it pretty effective, and found my luggage fairly easily. And everyone's always told me I'm "kuki" for not liking RCI's carousels
Old January 4th, 2007, 09:00 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Hi Folks:

The Party's Over:

We arrived home about one hour ago and the bags have been dumped. (No, Betty is still with me.)

Seriously: This, overall, was a fabulous cruise and the people are what made it so. I want to thank everyone who contributed with their presence and efforts to make this so special to Betty an me. We both had a fantastic time.

Here is the group picture that was taken on the Atrium stairway. I want to thank Kuki for powdering my head, before the picture, to minimize the glare. I also want to thank Mrs. K for making Kuki put his pants back on.

In regard to disembarkation: The only problem I had was having to sit in the lounge waiting for our color to be called. I love Freestyle disembarkation. Once our color was called it was off the ship and we found our bags in moments, grabbed a porter and off to the taxi and the airport.

I will agree with the aft balcony cabins on Century. If you are going to book one, book one below deck 10. The SV cabins are not the best balconies on the ship. If you get an end one, such as Mary Lou had you may have enough room for one person and our middle cabin was not really private and actually quite noisy from the Sunset Bar that was below. Also, squeaking from the steel tie downs over the bar began to drive me nuts. I should say drive me "more nuts". I would have sold my soul for a can of WD-40.

Otherwise the ship was fine, food was overall good and the buffet was better than most other ships.

I want to do another New Years Cruise for 2008

Old January 4th, 2007, 09:47 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

We are home too, have eaten AGAIN, and have settled down for the night.
For most of the week, I had a wicked cold. I used more klenex than is humanly possible..I stayed in bed on Grand Cayman day, But I tried to make the best of ot..

For me the cruise was all about the people, honestly..We also were seated with Sharon and Larry, and the 2nd night dining there, there was an obvious problem with the service at our table..To be honest, I was not a fan of the food, it was fair...we never went hungry, but I was underwhelmed.

We ate with Sharon and Larry upstairs one night, and after rangling with them to bring lobster to us from the dr....it was really bad.....but let me add, I was told downstairs it was delish..it just might have been under the lights to long...

The gifts presented to Ray & Helen, moved them so....A romantic dinner for 2 at the Victoria & Albert Restaurtant, at the Grand Floridian in Disney World..chocolate covered strawberries in their cabin, and a pair of Italian glass candlesticks...the top off was a poem, our own Paul B wrote especially for them, had the happy couple clapping and tearing....Thanks everyone!

We had valet service for our bags, were off the ship early, with no problems...Since this was my 2nd sailing of the Century, I would have to say, been there done that....once again, though. THIS bunch was the BEST.

If you get an opportunity to do a Cruisemates cruise. DO NOT hesitate, you will be back for more!.............I am now officially ON A DIET!

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old January 4th, 2007, 11:08 PM
Admiral

I totally agree with you Kuki regarding the luggage warehouse.....while it isn't pretty, it was effecient. The only bad part is having to tow your luggage through customs. But, it went quickly and we were in our taxi in no time at all. The short taxi ride to the Holiday Inn across from Bayside was an experience in itself.......thank goodness it was only 5 minutes away or we may not have made it with the way our driver was driving!
We had a nice day in Miami and then had dinner at Bubba Gumps with Jill and Steve tonight. We ran into Larry and Sharon this afternoon at Bayside and I have a feeling I may run into them again tomorrow morning when we both have to be at the airport for an 8:10 a.m. flight. It turns out that we are all at the same hotel.
Thank you to everyone who made the cruise so special......I was sorry to say goodbye to all of our dear friends.