Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 21st, 2007, 01:18 PM
Passenger

Default Summit comments

Have just read the November review by Steve, and although I went on the December cruise, I have to agree that there was something wrong on this ship.

The Captain NEVER spoke on the Public System, the noon announcements were made by the Cruise Director (I have never known this before, he also made a "we are turning back for a medical emergency" speech)

I even commented that I wondered if we did have a Captain on board.

Service in the dining room for dinner was appalling, waiter constantly forgot items like bread, salad dressings, sour cream ( never came at all for my baked potatoe - he tried to tell me "it is on table" pointing to the butter!) Got orders wrong. When I asked for my tea in teapot instead of a teabag in the cup, he brought a broken tea pot - every single night even though I requested one that was not broken. Yes I did speak to the M'D but nothing improved, in the end I went to dine in the Casual dining "by reservation" area, Very good service,good food cannot understand why the dining room was so bad.

Same films shown over and over and over again, one film never even got started, we sat for over 35 mins having the same lead- ins repeated and repeated, impossible to find anyone to fix this.

One of my cases which was fine when I handed it over at the pier at noon , arrived at 10p.m with my ID tag cut off, one handle half torn off, and the lock damaged where someone had tried to force it open The ship did repair the handle, and the ataff had to cut off the damaged lock so I could open my case.

It was obvious to me that there was no leadership from the top on the ship
Sponsored Links
Old January 21st, 2007, 04:13 PM
Admiral

Sorry to hear about your problems on the Summit. Deb and I sailed on her 2004, 3005 and last year (14 Day). All 3 cruises were wonderful. Our Waiter and Asst Waiter were fantastic as was our Room Steward and Asst (CC). We found the Staff to be very professional and always helpful and friendly. Again, we are sorry to hear about your bad experience aboard one of our favorite ships.
Old January 21st, 2007, 06:00 PM
Admiral

Evelyn,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
The Captain NEVER spoke on the Public System, the noon announcements were made by the Cruise Director (I have never known this before, he also made a "we are turning back for a medical emergency" speech)
Celebrity's officers are Greek. Although international maritime law requires them to be proficient in English, some of them speak English with a very thick accent that is difficult for passengers who are not accustomed to it to understand. Thus, they delegate such announcements to the Cruise Director or to another senior officer.

That said, I actually have been on two Celebrity cruises during which the Master did leave the ship for several days to attend meetings of the line's masters -- and in both cases, the ship was at sea for four to six consecutive days during the Master's absense. This is NOT a problem. International maritime law requires that the Staff Captain must hold a master's license and be fully capable of assuming command in the event of incapacity or death of the master, but Celebrity's cadre of officers have much more depth than that. The Navigator and the senior deck officer of each watch section usually also hold those qualifications.

Norm.
Old January 24th, 2007, 06:39 PM
Beginner

We were also on the Summit in Dec. (23rd). Can only say that in 13 cruises (1st on Celebrity) that the wait staff in the dining room was the best we ever had! Nothing was forgotten. It was the most "pampered" that we ever felt.
Old January 27th, 2007, 04:48 PM
Cruise Maniac

We just completed the 14-day cruise through the Panama Canal, from Los Angeles to Ft. Lauderdale. It was by a large margin the nicest cruise we've been on. All of the staff were wonderful, the food always great, and a very nice itinerary. We met the captain, who speaks english with a very heavy accent, only at the Captain's party and one other occasion in the theater. The Summit is a great ship, well-run.
Old January 28th, 2007, 12:19 AM
First Mate

Good evening, Jeff.

Glad you enjoyed the grand lady....So did we during an Alaska cruise.
How's the Revelation lounge ?? Back to original decor, as any observation lounge should be ??? Or does it still have remnants of that dreadful Cirque du Soleil doomed experiment decorations ???

Cheers
Claude G

Nest up: CENTURY June'08....B2B Norwegian Fjords/Artic/NorthCape & Scandinavia/Russia

TIME TO BOARD YET ??
CLAUDE G