Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 13th, 2009, 05:30 PM
Familiar Face

Default new to cruise vacations

I have been reading your informative board as my husband is retiring & we are signed up for a cruise on Celebrity (Valparaiso to Buenos Aries) on Infinity in Jan.2010--I am starting to be concerned due to all the negative comments about Infinity.I also would like advice from anyone who has been on this trip. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old June 14th, 2009, 11:04 PM
Admiral

Default Re: new to cruise vacations

gardener46,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
I have been reading your informative board as my husband is retiring & we are signed up for a cruise on Celebrity (Valparaiso to Buenos Aries) on Infinity in Jan.2010--I am starting to be concerned due to all the negative comments about Infinity.I also would like advice from anyone who has been on this trip. Thanks
I think that most of the negative comments about GTS Celebrity Infinity on these boards have come from one disaffected individual who did not understand the "boilerplate" text of the industry's standard cruise contracts that gets incorporated by reference into every booking. Basically, this "boilerplate" says that the cruise line has the right to modify the itinerary, including cancellation of ports of call, at any time, for any reason, without incurring legal liability.

The most prolific disaffected poster was on a cruise to Alaska on which the line cancelled one port of call and shortened a couple others due to malfunction of a defective propulsion pod supplied by the ship's builder. Although not legally required to pay any compensation, the cruise line gave the passengers in each cabin several hundred dollars in shipboard credit. Nonetheless, the ungrateful malcontent decided to defame the cruise line here in the misguided hope of getting a more generous settlement. Many of us have found her posts to be more than a little tiresome.

I was aboard GTS Celebrity Infinity last fall for a two week cruise from Port Everglades (Fort Lauderdale) to San Diego via the Panama Canal. The ship was in very good condition and service was outstanding.

Norm.
Old June 14th, 2009, 11:50 PM
Admiral

I would say that any cruise on a Celebrity ship is going to be an excellent experience. I also think that the Infinity is a great ship.
Relax and enjoy your cruise.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013
Booked Allure of the Seas....12/27/2015
Old June 16th, 2009, 11:38 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardener46
Hi gardener46,

There are several good things about the Infinity or any Celebrity m-class ship. The free wine drinks and hot towels when returning from shore seem to be a favorite of many people. The theater on the Infinity is one of the best afloat. The service and food are as good as any other mainstream or premium cruise line. Barring the occurrence of the problem referred to by Norm in his above posts, you will probably have an enjoyable cruise on the Infinity.

There are also several valid reasons for all of the negative comments about the Infinity. IMHO and that of many others, ship maintenance has not been one of Celebrity's long suits. Other drawbacks are the almost non-existent past passenger program offered by Celebrity compared to other mainstream and even premium cruise lines and the possibility of having a shortened or cancelled cruise because of recurring propulsion problems.

As for the comments directed to me by Norm who called me "the ungrateful malcontent", which I take with a large grain of salt, since Norm has admitted to owning over 3,000 shares of Celebrity's parent company Royal Caribbean. Those kind of words are not even worthy of any comment from me. It not about me or even what happened on my cruise, but it is about honest information and what has happened in the past on so many mclass ships and what I believe will no doubt continue into the future. For whatever Norm's motives might be, I do respect his right to voice his opinion on this board, but I really can't accept this name calling and out and out lies about what happened on my cruise on the Celebrity Summit. After all, what good would this board be if everyone said I have sailed Celebrity 225 times and every cruise was perfect!!!! The truth of what actually happened on my Celebrity Summit cruise is posted in the review section of this board under May 7, Summit 13 night Alaskan cruise. If what happened on my cruise was a one-time thing, that would be one thing, but this same problem has repeated itself on three of the four Millennium class ships since they were first introduced.

To once again have to correct another one of Norm's inaccurate posts, the actual facts are: The port of Seattle and Sitka were skipped, Hubbard Glacier was missed and the Inside Passage was cruised mostly at night, all because of these same problems. So, in total four of the major highlights of this cruise were missed. I personally received $100 in ship board credit for a ruined cruise that I spent several thousands of dollars to take. The major rub comes in when I found out that this has happened now more than twenty times, with the latest cruise interruption taking place being on the Millennium another sister ship to the Infinity, in March 2009, while cruising in Australia. The result was about the same as our cruise with two ports missed and the passengers received another "generous" $100 on board credit from Celebrity. From the reports that I have seen, these passengers also were not all that "grateful" to Celebrity.

In all honesty, I certainly do understand "boiler plate" cruise contracts. I also understand that a cruise line, or any company for that matter, has a moral and legal duty to provide a defect free product to its customers. The Infinity, Summit and Millennium have all suffered from this same propulsion problems many times. The worst part is that passengers are not even told about this admitted recurring problem, even when Celebrity is asked this question directly. IMHO, this is just plain wrong. The one thing I understand the best is principle and the fair and honest treatment of passengers. I certainly understand that missing ports because of weather or civil unrest is just a part of cruising. What I can not understand is why any company would continue to sail ships that that are known to be prone to repeated failures and that fact does not make me very grateful to Celebrity. I also understand that this is an opinion board and just as Norm so often voices his opinions promoting and protecting Celebrity, I feel that I should also have the right to say what did happen on my cruise and what has happened on many other Celebrity m-class ships. However, it would be nice to be able to have comments by everyone, both pro and con, without the totally uncalled for name calling and attempted intimidation by a very small band of posters.

Happy and trouble free sailing to all,

Debra

Winston Churchill

email: debra2106@yahoo.com
Old June 17th, 2009, 09:43 AM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to richsea

Hi Gardener46 & welcome to cruising!

I have found that when researching message boards & in looking at reviews of ships, it's best to throw out the highs & lows & try to look at the majority of the comments. That is where you will get your most accurate info. A great tool to use right here on Cruisemates is the "rate your ship poll" section under "Cruise Reviews" at the top of the page. You can compare up to 3 ships & see at a glance an overview of different ships. For example if you compare, say, Celebrity Infinity to ships of another comparable line like Crown or Sapphire Princess, you get a picture of how a number of people rate whatever ship your interested in. I use those 2 lines as they are the lines I have cruise, & I find them to offer a similar product

Those who are always for or against a particular ship or cruise line, are usually not going to give an accurate assessment as the vast majority do.

Again, welcome to cruising & enjoy your retirement!!!
Old June 17th, 2009, 04:48 PM
Captain

Hi Gardener 46!

You and your LUCKY husband! Gosh, retirement is still a decade or two away from me (not my other half though).

I just want to reiterate richsea. When looking at reviews, toss out the highest and lowest. I think that the majority of =X= passengers enjoy the cruiselines' commitment to quality...on ANY of their ships.

I have been on all the M-Class ships, and the Infinity is a beautiful ship. As all ships go, things wear out and maintenance needs to be performed. I really see this is standard on all ships. Things crap out and need repair and through all of my cruise adventures with =X= have never, once had a "bad trip", lol. On two cruises our itinerary was changed and we missed a port. This was because of a medical emergency and the ship (both times) had to turn around or venture off into another course so as to accommodate the aerial / medical personnel.

I was on a Princess cruise in April to the Amazon. The propulsion units crapped out because a rope was hung up in it. That was the first 2-week itinerary. On the second leg, this was a back 2 back, the propulsion unit just stopped functioning and they had to fly in divers to St. Lucia, from Miami. So...it happens to ALL cruise lines. Nobody was refunded any money. As Norm says, it is standard cruise contract.

Long story longer, I think you will find many positive things about the Infinity, her employees and your itinerary. It sounds excellent!! If you haven't already picked out your stateroom or suite, you can focus on that now! If you like the "little touches", I would spend the extra and upgrade to Concierge Class. When I first sailed with =X=, we chose that Class and have done it ever since. IMO, it's worth the few extra bucks.

Happy Sailing!
Old June 17th, 2009, 06:00 PM
Admiral

Default RETIREMENT

Parrot Pop and I have a saying.. "in retirement thera are no days off"..
We have found now that we are "older"...in body anyhow...that cruising is a very economical and efficient way of traveling. If you like a port which we did years ago in Cozumel from a cruise ship.. we went back and spent week..Places I had expected to fall in love with left me cold (Corsica), yet Lisbon, oh my.. We have not done that itinerary yet, but just finished my bucket list.. "going down the Amazon" and now we have been cruising from Barcelona..and oh the places we have been, Marrakesh, Tuscany, Malaga, Villafranche..and more to see on our next one in November and if the body and spirit are willing and the $$ hold out.. the Equinox from Rome next year.. The best is yet to be....
Old June 18th, 2009, 12:12 AM
Captain

Default By the way...

I ask that you please save personal attacks, bickering or whatever from the board. If folks need to PM each other on a personal level, or e-mail, do it there.

I'm tired of hearing the negativity on every =X= board about one persons miserable experience...sheez. The thread begins as a question, a specific question and somehow or another, a tangent comes out that finds its way to a lot of the threads.

Back to the OP's question.
Old June 18th, 2009, 08:06 AM
Admiral

Default UNHAPPINESS WITH A CRUISE LINE/SHIP

Sadly, i myself have been attacked for voicing my opinion about a particular cruise line/ship..it's hard to be negative in a positive manner I admit.. but after a while.. we have to 'move on".. don't you agree?
Old June 18th, 2009, 06:48 PM
Admiral

Nurse Debra,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
As for the comments directed to me by Norm...
Actually, I did not direct any of my comments to you.

But I am glad to see that your reporting is somewhat more "fair and balanced."

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
... since Norm has admitted to owning over 3,000 shares of Celebrity's parent company Royal Caribbean.
It's now up to 5,000 and likely going higher. As an investor, I like what I see on Celebrity!

Norm.
Old June 28th, 2009, 11:14 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev22:17
Nurse Debra,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
As for the comments directed to me by Norm...
Actually, I did not direct any of my comments to you.

But I am glad to see that your reporting is somewhat more "fair and balanced."

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
... since Norm has admitted to owning over 3,000 shares of Celebrity's parent company Royal Caribbean.
It's now up to 5,000 and likely going higher. As an investor, I like what I see on Celebrity!

Norm.
Norm, I was so happy to hear that your comment calling another poster on this board an "ungrateful malcontent" was not directed at me! That said, it does then bring up the question as to whom that comment was directed to? IMHO, it does show a severe lack of social graces, among other things, no matter who such a crude comment was referring to. You also mentioned "tiresome" in your very uncalled for post, and what I find very tiresome, are comments that often misstate the actual facts and tend to always favor a particular cruise line, no matter what the real situation is.

I am truly impressed that you now own over 5,000 shares of Celebrity/RCL stock, especially in view of all the problems Celebrity has had over the last few years. I am sure that Celebrity is grateful to have Champions promoting them on the Internet.

Since you have said that your comments were not directed at me, you must now realize that my posts have always been fair and honest in reporting what happened to me and 2,000 other passengers on my cruise, not to mention the twenty, or so, additional occurrences of the very same problem on Celebrity mclass ships. I have always said that there were some things that Celebrity does do right, but for me there is also serious question about being lied to and deceived when there is a problem on a Celebrity ship. This fact, IMHO, far outweighs the few positive things that happened on my Celebrity cruise. I also can state that I was grateful to Celebrity that we did manage to limp back to port safely, even though we were one of the cruises that did miss half of the itinerary that we had paid for. As an investor, I did not like what I experienced on my Celebrity cruise, or what so many others have also experienced, but I guess that is what makes horse racing! To each her/his own.

Happy sailing.

Debra

Winston Churchill

email: debra2106@yahoo.com
Old June 29th, 2009, 07:12 AM
Admiral

Norm, I am with you. I also am an investor in RCL. I also like what I see on Celebrity and Royal as well.

But anyone who sails on the Infinity will have to admit that it is a beautifull and comfortable laid-out vessel

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Old June 29th, 2009, 11:35 AM
Captain

Friendly last warning:

Take it OFFLINE, Please! Stop bickering. This isn't the forum, please private message each other.

Thank you!
Old June 30th, 2009, 11:45 AM
First Mate

It looks like the original poster was scared off by the back & forth BS, as they haven't returned. Understandable; it does get tiring.
Old June 30th, 2009, 12:04 PM
Cruise Maniac

I agree it's always the same old bickering from the same two people. We have heard all of this before and nobody cares who owns how much stock.
Bob
Old July 1st, 2009, 05:59 PM
Familiar Face

Default still reading

I am still reading but it does get tiresome---thanks to all who replied and tried to" really" answer my questions. I am still needing someone to provide info on the cruise itself --anyone been around the horn? What are the must see shore activities--I am a former science teacher. Clothing recommendations(how cold will It get in the far south)? We are veteran travelers ,just never taken a cruise. Is there a laundromat on board? --we will be staying an extra week in Argentina so will need clean clothes.Thanks in advance--Ruth
Old July 2nd, 2009, 05:05 PM
Passenger

Hi. Sorry, haven't taken that particular cruise.But also in your same predicament: Have been reading many negative reviews about
Celebrity and its ships lately and we already paid in full.

We are going to Scandinavia and Russia this summer. We''ve been on
Carnival Cruises but, this time, our travel agent suggested Celebrity.

Let's hope for the best.

Pinkflower
Athens,Rhodes,Istanbul.... Bye!
Old July 2nd, 2009, 05:27 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkflower
Hi. Sorry, haven't taken that particular cruise.But also in your same predicament: Have been reading many negative reviews about

Let's hope for the best.

Pinkflower
I'll say what I suggested to the original poster. Throw out the comments by the malcontents & the cheerleaders. Compare the ratings of the ships & cruise lines by cruisers under the ship polls. You will find that Celebrity ships consistently score among the highest. Will you prefer Celebrity, I don't know because I don't know what your likes & dislikes are. But I can reasonably expect that you will have a cruise where you are catered to on an elegant ship.

Just go & enjoy your cruise!
Old July 2nd, 2009, 06:03 PM
Admiral

Nurse Debra,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Norm, I was so happy to hear that your comment calling another poster on this board an "ungrateful malcontent" was not directed at me!
That's not exactly what I said. Rather, I said that it was not addressed to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
That said, it does then bring up the question as to whom that comment was directed to?
I'm refraining from naming names.

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
... you must now realize that my posts have always been fair and honest in reporting what happened to me and 2,000 other passengers on my cruise...
No, I don't agree. To be blunt, you have long come across as expecting something to which you have no legal right and hell-bent on unjustly disparaging Celebrity for not giving it to you.

I'm not exactly thrilled with the propulsion pod failures that plagued all four ships of the Millennium class, either. Unfortunately, the legal issues involved left the company little alternative but to continue operating the vessels to build up a case history of failures sufficient to substantiate the legal claim of defect. When Celebrity cancelled cruises due to these failures, those who had booked them received a full refund plus a voucher for a free cruise at a later date -- very generous compensation indeed, especially when measured by industry standards -- with no guarantee that the company would be able to recover the cost from either the supplier of the defective propulsion pods or the shipyard that selected and installed them.

When a cruise operates but cancels a port of call, it is not customary in the industry to refund anything. When the company gives a shipboard credit as a gesture of good will under those circumstances, one should be grateful. If one is not, the term "malcontent" is certainly a very fair and reasonable description of one's attitude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Happy sailing.
And you also!

Norm.
Old July 2nd, 2009, 10:13 PM
Familiar Face

Default airfare

Part of our worry concerns the fact that we have already spent $$$ on air fare -Chicago to Santiago,Chile,and back form Argentina---as pinkflower said-- We can only hope.
Old July 5th, 2009, 10:21 PM
Admiral

Default Re: airfare

Ruth,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
I am still needing someone to provide info on the cruise itself --anyone been around the horn? What are the must see shore activities--I am a former science teacher.
I have not taken that specific cruise, so I can't make recommendations one way or the other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Clothing recommendations(how cold will It get in the far south)? We are veteran travelers ,just never taken a cruise. Is there a laundromat on board? --we will be staying an extra week in Argentina so will need clean clothes.
The latitude of Cape Horn is about comparable to that of Seattle or Vancouver, and cruise ships go there in the summertime of the southern hemisphere. Thus, you can expect normal daytime temperatures are in the mid-80's and normal morning lows are in the uppr 50's or lower 60's. For gents, I recommend polo shirts, as you can wear them with shorts or slacks in the daytime and with slacks on "casual" evenings. For ladies, casual tops with skirts, slacks, or shorts are acceptable in the daytime and the same tops with skirts or slacks are appropriate for "casual" evenings.

Your cruise will have three (3) "formal" evenings, and Celebrity is the most traditional of the major cruise lines, so "formal" really DOES mean FORMAL. The official dress code actually is "modified formal" for these evenings, so gents may wear either "black tie" (tuxedo or dinner jacket outfit) or a dark business suit with a dress shirt and necktie and ladies really do "dress to the nines" in either an evening dress or a formal cocktail dress.

The ship does NOT have a laundromat, but DOES offer a hotel-style laundry and dry cleaning service. The prices for laundry service are comparable to those of most dry cleaners here in the States.

Have a great cruise!

Norm.
Old July 5th, 2009, 11:43 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkflower

Let's hope for the best.

Pinkflower
My first cruise was on Carnival 20 years ago. I have not been back. I have been sailing on Celebrity for 10 years and absolutely love them...they always exceed my expectations with their impeccable service.

Our last cruise was an exotic to the Amazon on Princess...(former R3 ship). In the airport after our debarkation, we booked our upcoming Celebrity cruise. There is nothing like =X= service!

I think you're making a good choice!
Old July 5th, 2009, 11:58 PM
Admiral

I have cruised on Celebrity to Hawaii, Alaska, the Mexican Riviera and several cruises in the Caribbean and they were all wonderfull cruises with excellent service and no problems whatsoever.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Old July 7th, 2009, 08:08 PM
Familiar Face

Default thanks all

Thanks all--I wll keep reading and will post about our experiences---can not wait to see all the wildlife and the coast of Chile.