Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 1st, 2009, 08:48 AM
Beginner

Default celebrity "Millenium" vs Holland America "Noo

We are in the process of choosing a cruise and have narrowed it down to either Holland America (Noordam) or Celebrity (Millenium).

I would greatly appreciate any feedback that I can get. I want to get this decision right!!

Thanks!!!
Sponsored Links
Old November 1st, 2009, 03:18 PM
First Mate

Send a message via MSN to NY Cruisin Mama

You don't say where the cruises are to or the dates -- so kind of hard
to give more specific info at this tme. However, the Millie has a fantastic Thallossomy pool (warm water with great jets) -- I would pick that ship
for that reason alone!!

Mariner of the Seas - Jan. 2009 Around the Horn B2B - 30 days

Future Floats: Jan. 2011 - Rotterdam - Hawaii/Tahiti - 30 days

The breaths you take are nothing compared to the moments that take your breath away !!
Old November 1st, 2009, 04:37 PM
Beginner

We will be cruising in March to the Carribbean. Any further thoughts on whether we should take the Millenium or the Noordam?? Is there a Buffet on the Millenium?
Old November 1st, 2009, 04:38 PM
Beginner

We will be cruising in March to the Carribbean. Any further thoughts on whether we should take the Millenium or the Noordam?? Thanks so much for your input!
Old November 1st, 2009, 08:26 PM
First Mate

Did you book through a travel agent ??? They should have brochures on each of the cruise lines that are very informative. Or go to www.hollandamericac.com and www.celebritycruises.com and click on each ship. You can read about all they offer. I would prefer the Celebrity ship --- great food, service and more of a mixed crowd as far as ages go. My guess is that you have not cruised before or at least not
on either of these lines. I would also check out the "Meet on Board" thread for
the specific dates of the cruises. You can talk to others who are already
booked or thinking about it. Usually very helpful with all your questions.

The breaths you take are nothing compared to the moments that take your breath away !!
Old November 1st, 2009, 08:33 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

On my 2 HAL crusie, I found the ships to be very quiet at night.... for that reason I would say, choose Celebrity.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old November 1st, 2009, 08:41 PM
First Mate

Most of the larger cruise ships have "buffets" -- usually mostly for breakfast and lunch. If you don't want the "Dining Room" experience-
then you will either need to dine in the specialty restaurants (usually an
extra $$) or look into the other dining venues on the ships. You will NOT
go hungary -- you just have to decide what suits you best.

Old November 2nd, 2009, 11:35 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Cruisin Mama
Most of the larger cruise ships have "buffets" -- usually mostly for breakfast and lunch. If you don't want the "Dining Room" experience-
then you will either need to dine in the specialty restaurants (usually an
extra $$) or look into the other dining venues on the ships. You will NOT
go hungary -- you just have to decide what suits you best.
None of the Celebrity ships have a buffet for dinner as you will get for breakfast or lunch. They do have other options such as casual dining in the buffet area which is served by waiters and is a different menu than the MDR. They also have sushi, pasta stations, pizza, etc. The Main Dining room menu is available from room service during regular dining hours....

Don
Old November 2nd, 2009, 07:51 PM
Beginner

Thanks for all of your comments. This will actually be our 3rd cruise. Our first was on the Princess Crown and the second was on the Emerald Princess. We enjoyed both of those and now we are hooked on cruising!
Old November 5th, 2009, 05:50 PM
Captain

My vote is for Celebrity, we've been on the Millie twice and she is a beautiful ship, and recently refurbished.

Honestly, have not tried HAL, but others at work have and love it. They compare it to Celebrity.

We too, are looking at a Noordam cruise, a transatlantic out of Rome next October. The ship looks beautiful with a great spa and hydrotherapy pool (similar to Celebrity's Thallossotherapy). If you find out more, be sure to post! Have fun and good luck!!
Old November 6th, 2009, 07:26 AM
Beginner

Default We chose the Celebrity Millenium

Thanks! We did choose the Celebrity Millenium. We are leaving March 26 for the caribbean and really liked the itinerary. We have only cruised twice before, both times on Princess Lines and absolutely loved it. We are 54 years old and can't believe we waited till our 50's to try a cruise...now we are hooked!
Old November 6th, 2009, 07:26 PM
Admiral

Default Re: We chose the Celebrity Millenium

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcelle
Thanks! We did choose the Celebrity Millenium. We are leaving March 26 for the caribbean and really liked the itinerary. We have only cruised twice before, both times on Princess Lines and absolutely loved it. We are 54 years old and can't believe we waited till our 50's to try a cruise...now we are hooked!
You are still young enough to enjoy many cruises.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013
Booked Allure of the Seas....12/27/2015
Old November 10th, 2009, 12:03 AM
Passenger

In general, I prefer Celebrity over Holland America. We just got back from a transatlantic on Hal's Oosterdam. The food was very good and a definte improvement over our last Hal trip two years ago on the Westerdam. Also the main showroom had excellent entertainment and I must say better than Celebrity. However, the lounge entertainment is more lively and better on Celebrity. We will be on the Noordam for a carribean cruise this December. I understand the ship is very similiar to the Oosterdam, but is newer. I will report my back on this thread if it is still active.

David
Old November 10th, 2009, 01:26 PM
Captain

One point for people who are not aware of it and that I usually get harassed for reporting, is the propulsion problems from time to time on the Millennium, Infinity and Summit. The last propulsion failure for the Millennium was on a cruise from Australia in March of this year, which resulted in the usual missed ports and the next cruise being cancelled on very short notice. That said, for a cruise to the Caribbean where for me getting to all the ports are not that important anyway it might be worth taking this additional risk.

While both cruise line will have their die hard supporters, either ship will offer good food, entertainment and service. So as far as that is concerned there is really no difference at all.

For a cruise that involved long travel to get to the ship or an itinerary that I really wanted to see, then I would go for the HAL ship hands down.

Debra

Winston Churchill

email: debra2106@yahoo.com
Old November 10th, 2009, 01:57 PM
First Mate

Default Here We Go Again !!

Gosh, the perverbeal POD issue, AGAIN !!

Old November 11th, 2009, 12:20 AM
Familiar Face

Default Millie vers HAl

Quote:
Gosh, the perverbeal POD issue, AGAIN !!
Hi NY Cruisin Mama, couldn't agree more!!! it gets so boring. I have been on Millie, Infinity and century - never any change in Itinerary!

Happysailing
Old November 12th, 2009, 07:07 AM
Admiral

I rarely agree with Debra and do not like her tactics but in the case of this thread, her post should be welcomed. The OP asked for the differences in making a choice between two ships. The Pod problems are definitely something that they should be aware of when making their decision for a cruise of this distance. Many have not had their cruises interrupted because of the pods but many have over the years on the 4 M class ships. The OP should be provided with all information necessary to make an informed decision. In this case, Debra did supply relevent information without going off the ranch.

If I were making a decision and was not aware of this problem I would certainly welcome the info. If I ask a question unrelated to the Pods, that is where I have a problem. As I said before, if I ask how is the Pizza, I don't need to be told about the pods unless they are in the Pizza oven.

Don
Old November 16th, 2009, 06:29 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkjretired View Post
I rarely agree with Debra and do not like her tactics but in the case of this thread, her post should be welcomed. The OP asked for the differences in making a choice between two ships. The Pod problems are definitely something that they should be aware of when making their decision for a cruise of this distance. Many have not had their cruises interrupted because of the pods but many have over the years on the 4 M class ships. The OP should be provided with all information necessary to make an informed decision. In this case, Debra did supply relevent information without going off the ranch.

If I were making a decision and was not aware of this problem I would certainly welcome the info. If I ask a question unrelated to the Pods, that is where I have a problem. As I said before, if I ask how is the Pizza, I don't need to be told about the pods unless they are in the Pizza oven.

Don
Thanks Don,

I know that we hardly agree on anything but your comments are appreciated. I also do not like the tactics by some posters on this board, but that is also what makes cruisemates the best boards on the Internet. At the end of the day, ALL information can be shared.

As you well know what makes this board different from the "other board" is that information about this particular problem can be shared with other readers. I have no skin in the game either way, if you sail these ships or not. My posts do at least give people the opportunity to make themselves aware of the past history and what could happen and then make their own decision.

It should be noted that the OP of this thread would probably never be given any information about this possible problem, except for my post.

Debra

Winston Churchill

Old November 16th, 2009, 08:37 PM
Admiral

Yes, in your age category..lol I would definetely pick Celebrity, any of their ships.., We are even older and I hesitate to go on a H/A because of the reputation they have for their older market. If a few of their ships HAD A PROBLEM.. they have been solved.. some people like to live in the past and negativity..I myself look to the future and attempt to think positive..
Old November 17th, 2009, 12:27 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrot Mom View Post
I would definetely pick Celebrity, any of their ships... If a few of their ships HAD A PROBLEM.. they have been solved.. some people like to live in the past and negativity..I myself look to the future and attempt to think positive..
With all due respect and just to correct two statements that may have been misleading, three of the four Celebrity mclass ships DO HAVE A PROBLEM, from time to time with their propulsion system. I like to deal in facts and here are the exact dates for these problems on the Millennium:

January 2001
July 16, 2003
December 10, 2006
January 2007 until mid April 2007
March 2, 2009

For me, there is no "IF" about those facts. There have also been a total of about 15 other identical propulsion failures on the Infinity and Summit.

If, what is reported in the above post is actually true, that the "problem has been solved" then I think we all would like to know the exact source of this miracle fix which if verified would at long last put an end to this problem that has plagued these three ships for eight years and would indeed be great news for all cruisers.

It is great to have opinions and hopes but facts and history are also useful for all cruisers looking for information and looking to the future. I like to live in the present with all the VALID facts that I can gather. But again, to each their own.

Debra

Winston Churchill

Old November 17th, 2009, 06:50 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Yes, in your age category..lol I would definetely pick Celebrity, any of their ships.., We are even older and I hesitate to go on a H/A because of the reputation they have for their older market. If a few of their ships HAD A PROBLEM.. they have been solved.. some people like to live in the past and negativity..I myself look to the future and attempt to think positive..
Parrot Mom:

Just to correct the record and not to go into it too deeply but the problems have not been fixed on a permanent basis. They could happen again... The only way they could do that at this point would be by replacing the pods completely which has not been done. These are basically the propulsion for the ship.

Don
Old November 17th, 2009, 06:54 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurse Debra View Post
Thanks Don,

As you well know what makes this board different from the "other board" is that information about this particular problem can be shared with other readers. Debra
Again, to set the record straight, I do not agree with this comment.

Don
Old November 17th, 2009, 07:38 AM
Admiral

Cool Mechanical info on ships

Well, I guess I just don't keep EXACT records on ALL cruise ships..and since there is a recent review on the Infinity on this site I gathered there were no longer problems..Then again, I've just read of a virus that hit one particular (from a crew member btw) ship within the week and another being taken to dry dock (Nurse Debra must know about that one). So, folks.. as I pack for my cruise the only thing I'm going to worry about is having a great time, meeting wonderful and friendly people
Old November 17th, 2009, 08:16 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Well, I guess I just don't keep EXACT records on ALL cruise ships..and since there is a recent review on the Infinity on this site I gathered there were no longer problems..Then again, I've just read of a virus that hit one particular (from a crew member btw) ship within the week and another being taken to dry dock (Nurse Debra must know about that one). So, folks.. as I pack for my cruise the only thing I'm going to worry about is having a great time, meeting wonderful and friendly people
Which is exactly what I'm doing, heading off on a cruise and by the way the pod problem would not in any way stop me from booking one of the M class ships..

Don
Old November 17th, 2009, 10:45 AM
Admiral

Default Cruising

Don... your a man after my own heart...life is an adventure..and since I'm not dead yet... I'm all for it...pod problems, missed ports (that can be a bummer), extra days at sea.. Where are you headed? We wil be on our way to Barcelona... again..beautiful Barcelona.
Old November 17th, 2009, 11:12 AM
Admiral

Thanks, we have a quicky four nighter on the Equinox out of FLL, should be fun, just nice to get away since its starting to get cold...Leave Tomorrow, sail Thursday.

Don
Old November 17th, 2009, 06:35 PM
Admiral

Default Equinox

Test her out for us.. we are scheduled for 10/18/10...and can hardly wait...
Old November 18th, 2009, 01:15 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkjretired View Post
Which is exactly what I'm doing, heading off on a cruise and by the way the pod problem would not in any way stop me from booking one of the M class ships..

Don
Don, have a great cruise on the new Equinox. It sounds like a beautiful ship. Please let us know all about your cruise when you return. Were it not for my treatment by Celebrity, while getting burned by one of the many POD problems on a mclass ship, I would probably be sailing one of those new ships right now. Sailing any of the newer Celebrity ships would be fine for most people, but based on the personal experiences of so many passengers, I would definitely pass on Celebrity mclass ships.

Thanks again for clearing up some miss-information about the status of the Celebrity mclass ships.

It is a good thing that we all have different experiences and opinions about cruise lines and cruise ships, otherwise we would all be trying to book the same ship!

Have a great cruise.

Debra

Winston Churchill

Old November 19th, 2009, 02:41 PM
Admiral

No need to worry. Pod problems are not an issue.

No ship ever sank because of pod problems.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013
Booked Allure of the Seas....12/27/2015
Old November 19th, 2009, 05:58 PM
Captain

So true, Manuel. However, I have to say Nurse Debra has a valid point about getting burned. Sadly, it was not her fault that her cruise tanked. I can relate! You'll recall my awful experience on the Pacific Princess (along with 3 other posters) last April through the Amazon.

Due to engine and mechanical problems, our ship was stuck twice on that cruise and we missed one port, delayed for several hours in another...that along with the blatant lying by personnel, outrageous and in my consideration, gross misconduct by the Captain, officer and shop personnel...sad to say, but I will be hard pressed to ever trust Princess again. (As an aside, her sister ship the Royal Princess had a major engine fire just 2-months later in June, whereby all passenger's cruise came to a stand-still, having had to evacuate the ship and terminate their cruise).

Yes, this is a =X= topic. My point is that like Nurse Debra states, one rotten experience can ruin a cruiser's trust.

I can vouch for =X= though, and whether it's the stars, good karma or whatever, have never - ever experienced any mechanical issues on any of her ships. I'll stick with her!