Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

Old November 18th, 2002, 12:29 PM
Admiral

Default Why Why Why?

Is it just me or have the boards taken on a wacky new format? Why are new messages "bumping" older threads to the top? The way it was was one of the reasons I prefered these boards to the boards on one of the other cruise sites. I do not like it one bit!

Cheers,
Michelle B.

Old November 18th, 2002, 12:45 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Why Why Why?

I don't either Michelle. I hate the format on a sports site I get on. It is ARRRRRRRR ! !

Regards,

Thomas
Old November 18th, 2002, 12:58 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Why Why Why?

If the "new" feature worked properly, and reliably, this may not have happened.

Regards,
Thomas
Old November 18th, 2002, 01:50 PM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

Geez - leave for 2 hours and look what happens! Please stop the insanity!!!! Don't want my posts to float to the top!!!

Old November 18th, 2002, 02:28 PM
Admiral

Another thing for the CruiseMates staff to consider is that with this format, threads like "MURDER ON THE ELATION" and "Destiny Man Overboard" will never die. They will just keep getting bumped to the top of the forum by disgruntled posters.

Cheers,
Michelle B.

Old November 18th, 2002, 02:39 PM
Admiral

That crossed my mind too Michelle. They want the thread to go away but it won't because new people to the boards will always see those threads instead of them being buried several pages deep (like they ought to be).

Regards,
Thomas
Old November 18th, 2002, 02:47 PM
Admiral

And another thing... as evidenced on "Ask the Cruisemates Staff" board... all those "test" posts people make to test their countdown clocks are going to get bumped to the top. How annoying is that?!

Cheers,
Michelle B.

Old November 18th, 2002, 02:49 PM
Admiral

Good point Michelle. That will be annoying.

Regards,
Thomas
Old November 18th, 2002, 02:52 PM
Admiral

We need some more support here. Come on cruisemates, voice your opinions. If the majority of you want this, then I'll get used to it. If you don't then lets see if we can reverse the change.

Phyll

Old November 18th, 2002, 03:03 PM
First Mate

Well,
Here is my two cents...who cares...if they go to the top...ya all complaine too much! I think the people that put this board together do a good job! Ugh..bet I will get HECK for this post..ahahah who cares..ya all can't get me I am in Maryland...ahahah jk
Mary Margaret

Carnival Victory
Old November 18th, 2002, 03:03 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

I'm not really sure what the big deal is. As I said before, I don't know which way I prefer. I'll give it some time to play out. But I can see the benefits.

MUCH LESS scrolling back checking for dates on recent posts, or looking for the red new (that's never been dependable). All the threads which have new replies are on the top. I can look at a message board folder, and see what threads have new posts almost immediately, because they're at the top. This I like!

If people were to abuse the process and just type bump to get a thread noticed again, I suppose we'd likely just delete them.

Regards,
Kuki
Old November 18th, 2002, 03:26 PM
Admiral

Just get the "new" to work properly and all is well. But I can tell you from the sports site I post on regularly this float to the top is aggravating.

Regards,
Thomas
Old November 18th, 2002, 07:38 PM
Admiral

Michelle:

Did you see I replied to one of your posts where you were asking for information a few weeks back? I didn't think so as I was the last post on the thread. Now that won't happen again.

marc
Old November 18th, 2002, 07:41 PM
Brad Krewson

Please stop playing Ping - Pong with the posts.

Thanks
Brad

Old November 18th, 2002, 10:35 PM
Admiral

I, for one, DESPISE the bump the thread to the top format. I much prefer the old way, with the posts appearing at the top as they come along. As for the "red new," I've never had any problem with it working properly. I use it all the time with no problems. Come on, webmaster, put it back the way it was!

Old November 19th, 2002, 12:35 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Hi Jen,

This may sound like a silly question, but I am not being facetious. Those who don't like the change have said they dont like it. But I don't think anyone has explained why.

you say I much prefer the old way, with the posts appearing at the top as they come along

Thats not what we had. New posts went into the threads wherever they were. Only new threads appeared at the top. Now new posts appear at the top.

So.. for a bit of clarity, can you tell us what it is you despise about the way it is now. Thanks!

Regards,
Kuki

Old November 19th, 2002, 10:00 AM
Admiral

Marc, I did see your reply to my post. I always pay very close attention to new posts and watch the dates. I understand what you are trying to say, but it does not convince me to like this new format.

Now the message boards are messed up even further. Posts with no responses say they have 17 responses, etc.

I simply don't understand why, when there was nothing wrong with the message board format to begin with, the powers that be felt the need to tweak with it and add new features that weren't necessary. Instead of creating this new "workaround" they should have expended their energy on trying to fix the problems that were already there, i.e. the new feature. I think they are doing this to try to cover up their old mistakes instead of fix them. Instead they are just creating more. I know this sounds harsh, but I develop software, so I feel qualified to make this criticism. I know how our minds work as engineers, we are always trying to improve the product and add new features when sometimes we should leave it well enough alone.

Perhaps you're right, Salem, and we are overreacting... but you were one of the ones who requested this feature, so I'm not surprised by your reaction. I suppose we'll get used to it eventually, but that doesn't mean we have to like it.

Kuki, it's hard to articulate exactly why the new format is so displeasing to some of us. If you disliked a particular food item, and someone asked you why, would you have a better response than "it tastes bad?" Them: "but it's good for you." You: "I just don't like it." Them: "Well, I like it." You: "Well, I just don't." My main objection to this format is that is not aesthetically pleasing. I find it much less orderly. And I and others gave some more good reasons earlier: the annoyance of bumping up months- and years-old threads, the unlikelihood of controversial threads to die, the bumping up of countdown clock tests, etc.

I doubt I'll post any more on this topic because I've made my point, and now I'll just have to try and live with the way it is. But I did want to make it clear that some of us feel very strongly about it. If the developers feel the need to add new features like this, it would be nice of them to consider a way for the user to toggle the feature on and off so that those of us who prefer the threads sorted by most recent post can have it that way, and those of us who prefer the threads sorted by date started can have it that way. A simple sort feature shouldn't be too hard to implement, it would just take some time.

Cheers,
Michelle B.

(Edited for spelling)

Post Edited (11-19-02 09:12)
Old November 19th, 2002, 11:49 AM
Admiral

Well said Michelle. I agree 100%.

Another reason this format is annoying is when someone posts something to the effect: "On my upcoming cruise in two weeks can someone tell me what's the tipping policy on EOS?" After several replies the post fades away. THEN, someone posts 4 months later the policy is automatic on the charge account when the original poster has already sailed and the current information on the tipping policy is no longer valid because the policy has changed since. This post is moved to the top and if you're not paying attention to the dates of the post and replies you may well get conflicting information.

And I agree that if it's not broken, don't fix it. The original format was easier to follow and less likely for trolls to continually float their thread to the top. Information is dated. With this format you really have to pay attention to when a post/reply was written. You may think the post is current yet it might be a year old.

With this format we only need one "Good Morning, Guten Morgen" post for here on out. We just keep replying to the same one. Then we'll see 2,567 replies to this thread in one month.

Regards,
Thomas
Old November 19th, 2002, 12:06 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter
Default Re: Re: Re: Why Why Why?

I agree with you for this forum; I am putting it back to the old format. Thanks for your input.

Old November 19th, 2002, 12:41 PM
Admiral

Thanks Paul. Hope I didn't offend you with my previous post; I just re-read it and I realized it was kind of harsh! Sorry!

Cheers,
Michelle B.

Old November 19th, 2002, 06:50 PM
Admiral

While we're at it:

Could you enforce a time limit on editing of posts? Give us 30-60 minutes to fix errors. However, allowing someone to edit a post long after there have been numerous replies can be disrupting (I know since I am often the guilty party in taking advantage of this feature).

marc
Old November 20th, 2002, 08:48 AM
Admiral

Personally, I don't think a time limit is a good idea. I may post a message, then not come back to the boards for a couple of hours, then come back and note a misspelled word or other such error that needs to be corrected.

Cheers,
Michelle B.

Old January 5th, 2003, 01:19 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default second countdown clock

How do you put the second countdown clock on? I have one but can't put second one on And another thing... as evidenced on "Ask the Cruisemates Staff" board... all those "test" posts people make to test their countdown clocks are going to get bumped to the top. How annoying is that?!

Cheers,

Michelle B.

Next cruise... "last minute" in the spring... stay tuned!