Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 30th, 2004, 01:56 PM
Admiral

Default Too cool for the lifeboat drill?

I was talking recently to a friend who's been on a couple of cruises with a group of friends of his.

"My friends and I never go to the lifeboat drill," he said. "What a waste of time."

"Doesn't your room steward make sure you're out of your room?" I asked, aghast.

"Naw, they've never checked on us. We sit in the room and drink instead! It's a lot more fun!"

"But you need to know where to go if there's an emergency!" I said.

"Oh, we figure we'll just follow everyone else," he said, laughing, "I mean, they'll know where they're going, right?"

He just seemed to think it was no big deal and was completely flippant about it. I honestly think he and his friends think they're too cool to go to the lifeboat drill. Can you believe it?!

Cheers,
Michelle P.

Post Edited (11-30-04 13:57)

Sponsored Links
Old November 30th, 2004, 02:15 PM
Terri Ann

Default Re: Too cool for the lifeboat drill?

Michelle,

Yeah, I know some people like that too. It won't be very "cool" if there ever is a real emergency and they are lost as where to go or what to do. Sure, it is a pain in the rear end to stand there with a big bulky lifevest on, squashed like sardines in a small can, but as you know these drills are for a very good reason and they do serve a purpose. I wonder if these people who feel it is a waste of time even know where their lifevests are located. During a panic ridden event is not the time to try to find them. I am just one of those folk who look for escape route locations when we are anywhere on vacation in hotels, etc.

Terri
Old November 30th, 2004, 02:36 PM
Administrator
Admiral

I had just typed a long message but I had second thoughts about it and I will just say:

"Go to the life boat drill." and "More people skip it than you think."

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old November 30th, 2004, 04:24 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to belgique

I agree - they're the ones I'd be tempted to wave at from the lifeboat when they're in the water.
Old November 30th, 2004, 06:39 PM
VTJen

I can't imagine skipping it. Though I don't list in high on my cruise love lists, it's the rule and I hate being a rule breaker.

VTJen
Sensation 2/2003
Majesty of the Seas 3/2004
Old November 30th, 2004, 08:17 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Angela Z.

I would never skip it......besides there's always that great feeling of "now the cruise can start" when it's over!
Angela Z.
Old December 1st, 2004, 12:46 AM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

No matter how many times I have been to a lifeboat drill, I still go.

The people who don't go will more than likely be the ones who are screaming for help and pushing and shoving and causing all kinds of havoc if a real emergency would happen..................I think there is a special place in the afterlife reserved for these people. How dare they endanger the safety of others because they are too lazy, self centered, proud, stupid or whatever to skip the lifeboat drill. Hopefully they will be the ones floating in the water while I am safely in my lifeboat.

Old December 1st, 2004, 09:16 AM
Admiral

After 100 or so cruises the lovely Mrs. Jones and I always attend the drill. Even if we've been on the ship numerous times, you're probably on a different deck, or section, and need to know which boat is "yours", and besides, as AngelaZ sez, "Now the fun begins"!
Happy sailing,
Ken
Old December 1st, 2004, 10:07 AM
Admiral

some cruise lines now take attendance at the lifeboat drills, and they don't start the drills until all are accounted for. This happened on our last cruise on the Golden Princess. They make announcements over the PA.
Old December 1st, 2004, 10:47 AM
Admiral

Of course, I agree with all of you. The lifeboat drill is held for a very important reason. We always go. It's just hard for me to believe that people are dumb enough not to... and that some of those people are my friends!

Cheers,
Michelle P.

Old December 1st, 2004, 11:28 AM
Admiral

I always go to the lifeboat drill it's the one place I know to go if I need a desperate woman!

Regards,
Thomas
Old December 1st, 2004, 03:33 PM
Yeoman

We skipped it once.It wasn't on purpose, we had flown 13 hrs to get in the night before and we were beat! We fell asleep , outside on a louge chair by the aft pool. , no one came and got us or even woke us up, we were surprised when the ship started moving and we saw people walking around and carrying their life jackets. That's when we found out we had missed it!. We did know where the life jackets were, they are in plain sight in our closet. We also didn't need to know which lifeboat to go in as on Princess your " muster " stations are an assigned lounge.and you go to them not to a boat. We found out which lounge we were assigned. End of story.

I seriously doubt that we would be the ones screaming from the ship as the life boats pull away. That would be the drunks that we see on EVERY cruise.
Old December 1st, 2004, 06:16 PM
Duke 42

You're friend is an idiot!
Old December 2nd, 2004, 12:21 AM
Passenger

What Lisa said - ditto.
Some people - too many actually - spend their lives with their heads planted firmly.....(you fill in the rest)
They have no idea that they put others at risk in their actions, and perhaps don't care.

Happy Cruising to all - and the lifeboat drill is part of the whole "experience" if you as me - and I don't want to miss a minute of it!!!

Tammie

New Year's 2007 MSC Lirica
New Year's 2006 MSC Lirica
New Year's 2005 Carnival Spirit
Old December 2nd, 2004, 11:24 AM
Admiral

I consider Muster a gloriously indisepensible part of cruising. It's the preliminary ceremony of sail away, and that alone makes it exciting. In addition, it's like a costume party where participnats dress exactly the same, look ridiculous, and move to the accompaniment of klaxons and bells. It's confirmation that you're on a ship, not at a mere hotel.

I just can't imagine how drinking is more fun than that.

I think it has a kind of psychological benefit as well. On our last cruise, since the ship was late into and out of home port, muster wasn't held until 15 hours after sailing. Up until that point, cruise routines seemed stressed, rushed and/or out of sequence. Things seemed much more relaxed thereafter.

I may dwell on the land, but I live at sea!

Steve

Sensation 2/03 I disembarked, but never really left the ship.
Enchantment 9/03 Just had to go back.
Inspiration 3/04 Just have to go back again, and again, and again...
Sensation 04/05 The vessel made me do it!