Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

Old December 3rd, 2004, 08:42 PM
salem5050

Default Ugh...whats with all the horrible xmas decorations?

Ok year after year it seems that people are decorating more and more outside their homes. Is there a contest I do not know about? Whats with all those blow up snowmen, santas etc. and lights strung everywhere. Its just a bunch of "junk" decorating. I like the houses with the candles in the windows and wreath on the doors. Are any cruisemates guilty of this over done decorating?

Mary Margaret
Old December 3rd, 2004, 09:10 PM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa
Default Re: Ugh...whats with all the horrible xmas decorations?

To each their own.....

Old December 3rd, 2004, 09:11 PM
Passenger

Yep, and I'm gonna hit the post Christmas sales to add to my current treasures.

Reality, I have candles in the window, a wreath by the door and several strings of lights in the bushes in front of the house. Oh yeah, and a light up reindeer that moves its head. Most of the neighbors have a similar display. We all enjoy looking at the lights but we don't have any blowup Santas or oversized displays -- at least so far.

Volendam Panama Canal Repo
Statendam to Hawaii 2004
Old December 3rd, 2004, 09:13 PM
Passenger

I only put lights in the window and a wreath on the door. I with you, what about all that extra electricity they are using. I think people today have forgotten the reason for the Season; the birth of Jesus Christ. Happy Birthday, Jesus.

Old December 3rd, 2004, 09:15 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Mary Margaret:

Here is a picture of my house. As you can see I have kept things understated and tasteful. <vbg> This is not my house.

We already have the wreath on the door and the interior decorations up. This weekend we will put up the white icicle lights on the front of the house and have Santa on the front planter.

My feeling is if someone wants to do it and if they live somewhere where their neighbors don't mind the light then why should it bother me? It doesn't stop me from enjoying my Christmas.

Edited to emphasise that this is not my house. <VBG>

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old December 3rd, 2004, 09:46 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I have seen a blow up santa, and another blow up whatever, that have deflated already..they look so sad on the ground I wonder if someone is walking around with sharp pin

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old December 3rd, 2004, 09:47 PM
Yeoman

wow mike

that is spectacular. i bet you light up the whole neighborhood. you are a kids dream.

i only decorate a tree in the house and a wreath on the door. instead of spending all the money on the electric bill, i put the money into my cruise fund. i have too economise and the decorations are the first thing to be cut. but i have gorgeous sites too see thanks to decorators like you. it makes my holidays even better too see all the pretty lights everywhere.

and janmo is right--happy birhtday jejus.

Old December 3rd, 2004, 10:25 PM
Admiral

Mike, there is a house nearby that looks alot like your picture. I tried taking pics of it last year, but they just didn't turn out well enough. The place is amazing! This guy, during the summer, has about 20-30 bird houses on poles around his property (he's a little eccentric in any season!). At Christmas, every pole and bird house is decorated, every tree, every bush, every fence, every door, every window, every square inch of lawn has a snowman or a Santa or a reindeer, or a penguin, including a giant blow-up penguin and a giant blow-up Santa., and let's not forget the Santa, sleigh and 8 reindeer on the roof, which is also decorated with lights. I showed it to my boss last year when she drove me home once, and she now brings all her relatives to see it! She calls it the house where Santa Claus threw up!!

As for me, I'm a little more conservative, just a few mini lights on my lilac bush (which is just sticks right now).

donna

Old December 3rd, 2004, 11:29 PM
Terri Ann

Default Re: Re: Ugh...whats with all the horrible xmas decorations?

Donna,

I went to see "Christmas with the Kranks" last nite. ( I read the book, too.) I realize the movie plot is exagerrated (sp?), but I enjoyed it. I bet there are neighborhoods like that somewhere where everyone tries to outdo the other with decorating. It was pretty. We have "downsized" this year with electric decorations, we have had past utility bills that were outrageous, bet Com Ed loved us and will wonder what happened this year. (VBG)

Mike, we have subdivisions near us that look like that.

Terri
Old December 4th, 2004, 03:42 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

When I was alone I never bothered with a tree or lights. Now that Lane and Patty are part of my life Lane goes all out and puts lights outside and puts up a tree. Nothing as pretty as Mikes display. I always light a candle at 6:00 PM Christmas eve and let it burn until midnight. It is a symbol by birthmothers everywhere that their children lost to adoption are not forgotten.

Cruznut2

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old December 4th, 2004, 08:53 AM
Admiral

I stopped putting up lights two years ago after a jetliner tried to land in my yard. No more lights for me!

Regards,
Thomas
Old December 4th, 2004, 09:28 AM
Yeoman

cruznut2====what a loving thing to do. i love to hear of traditions like that one. i buy a poinsetta for the church every year in memory of my son and other family members. then at midnight services we honor them and others. it is the most wonderful night of the year.

thomas

TOO FUNNY. that was a good one. and i love those blow-up things that are laying flat on the ground everyday from being cold all night. i will say again--- i save my money for the cruise and gifts for my family members.

Old December 4th, 2004, 09:29 AM
Lynne &Trevor

Hello!
We don't go really heavy on the outdoor lights ,either, but must put out something or our trees will be TPed! Trevor bought an electric sign that he puts out that says "Joy", and an electric wreath for the door, and maybe a few other light. Not to the extent that others decorated. The three houses at the back of our cul-de-sac have collectively looked like "National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation". But, were a beautiful sight. There is a Christmas Golf Cart parade each year in our development so part of the festivities is to ride around in a convoy looking at the lights and showing off the decorated golf carts.
Right now, we haven't gotten into the "spirit" yet. I get it at work all day.

I have decided, though, that this is my favorite time of year for decorations and music-although Easter comes in a close second for music.And, I acknowledge the real reason for the season. For those of you who decorate a lot, you provide something special for the rest of us who don't, as we drive through the neighborhoods. Lynne

Old December 4th, 2004, 09:30 AM
Admiral

I like the more subdued look for Christmas. My mom would go crazy decorating around the holiday. She loved almost anything, even the things I found tacky. She had so much fun and got such joy out of what she did, that it didn't matter. I will always have great memories of her around the holidays.

Mike, I suspect you are having a little fun with us.

Phyll

Old December 4th, 2004, 10:23 AM
Admiral

Yes we decorate heavy on the exterior of our home and it has nothing to do with trying to impress anyone. We like it period. We are not able to do much inside due to a couple very mischievous cats so we do the outside. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and if it doesn't appeal to you, don't do it. Just do not fault others for having differant tasts than yours. Our entire nieghborhood is very nicely decorated and the homeowners association even adds to it and most people seem very pleased.
Jim

Old December 4th, 2004, 10:32 AM
cruisinKandJ.

We don't do outside decorating at all, and this year, we are contemplating not even having a tree. Nobody sees it anyway. I would say most people out here tend to go for decorating in a big way. Each year, there are entire neighborhoods that try to outdo each other. It's a lot of fun driving through them.

Judy
Old December 4th, 2004, 03:58 PM
Passenger

I do a little Xmas decorating on the inside, and none on the outside.
But one of my daughter's neighbor has so much outside on the house and in the yard that from a distance it looks like the house is on fire.
Old December 4th, 2004, 05:36 PM
salem5050

Ugh..my neighbor just put up five count them five! blow up creatures on his front lawn. Sorry I think its gawdy...but they are nice neighbors anyway! Just no taste in decorations..ahhaha.

Now as far as my decoration expertise...I put up my 3 foot ceramic tree..took me 2 minutes..looks beautiful! I talked to two of my girlfriends today and they were decorating their houses and complaining how much they hated doing it and they were tired....... Well when we get some grandkids..all the major stuff including trains will come out of the attic...by the way...does anyone put up a train garden anymore....we use to put up a massive one...

Mary Margaret
Old December 4th, 2004, 06:53 PM
Admiral

One other thing that kinda bugs me. It is "CHRISTmas" and not "X-mas". The Christians are celebrating the birth of thier Lord and Savior and not an "X". Would anyone think of saying "X-nakka" or "X-adan" in referance to the Jewish or Moslem holidays? Yes I do think it is overcommercialized but it does remind many people to be kind to others it is worth it to me.
Jim
Proudly having a very Merry Christmas and New Year with LOTS of lights

Old December 4th, 2004, 09:52 PM
Cruizin K and J

Default Re: Re: Ugh...whats with all the horrible xmas decorations?

I should have added that I enjoy all the lights that someone else's electric bill had generated, but I surely do wish that people would take down the dang things when Cristmas is over, instead of leaving them up all year. Please people, that is so tacky!

Judy
Old December 4th, 2004, 10:19 PM
salem5050

I do not see anything wrong with typing Xmas in a forum such as computer talk, there are lots of abbreviations for words guess I am not offended that easily.

As far as puting up lights and decorations making a person more christian...I do not see it the same way. Its sorta like siting in church does not make you a christian anymore then standing in your garage makes you a car... I read that recently and it cracked me up. I just thing Christmas has become far to commercialized...and I think its sad, especially with everyone starting so early...it drives the little kids crazy. In some European countries they are allowed to put up their decorations two weeks before christmas and must remove them i think weeks after the holiday.

Mary Margaret
Still loving my ceramic xmas tree.
Old December 4th, 2004, 10:53 PM
Admiral

While I agree it has become very commercalized as I stated, I can still live with it so long as people end up in the festive spirit and do all the wonderful and charitable things they tend to due during this season. As for "X-mas" it certainly is incorrect and just happens to be a pet peeve of mine. There is not such thing as "X-mas". You are more than entitled to your opinion on this but so am I and think it is insulting to the holiday. I also did not say that putting up lights made you more of a Christian, Lord knows I am not very religious, but it makes lots of people feel good and many people love doing it and kids love seeing it. To watch the look of wonderment in thier eyes makes it all worthwhile.
Jim

Old December 6th, 2004, 07:50 AM
Admiral

The spelling "Xmas" actually originates from the Greek letter X (chi), which is the first letter in the Greek "Xpi s t ós" (Christos), meaning Christ. So it is actually a Christian abbreviation.

Cheers,
Michelle P.