Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 28th, 2005, 12:08 PM
teenytine

Default Sea sick anyone???

Were you ever sea sick? And what did you take to remedy it, did it make you tired? The last time I went out on the ocean, it was on our boat fishing, I would,nt know if I got sea sick or not because I was asleep the whole time, not to mention the next day too, my whole weekend was wiped out, due to one little pill named Bonine.
Sponsored Links
Old March 28th, 2005, 12:26 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Sea sick anyone???

Start with this. Do you get motion sick? Car sick etc. If you don't then you probably will not get sea sick. The motion experienced in a small fishing boat is dramatically more than normally experienced at sea on a cruise ship.
That said, alternate remedies to Dramamine or Bonine if they make you sleepy would be several. Ginger is a natural remedy and can be purchased in most health food shops, suplement shops (GNC) and many grocery stores. Sea Bands are elastic wrist bands with little bumps that press on your pulse points. Sols in same place as Bonine
in your local store. My daughter swears by them for two carsick prone kids.
The common over the counter anti histamine Benedryl is also effective ) but is not non drowsy.
There is also the prescription required scopalamine patch.
Happy sailing
Old March 28th, 2005, 12:51 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Darcy

Darmamine also comes in a non-drowsy formula. I get sea sick very easily in a small boat and haven't had much trouble on a cruise ship. I wait until I start to feel funny before taking any medication. Unlike you I've had good luck with Bonine with no side effects. It also helps to get out on deck, get some air and look out over the horizon.

Monarch of the Seas 3/06
Carnival Inspiration 8/05
Carnival Miracle 4/05
Carnival Inspiration 4/04
Sovereign of the Seas 4/03
Old March 28th, 2005, 01:01 PM
Admiral

Just an FYI, the non-drowsy version of Dramamine contains the same active ingredient that Bonine has, which is Meclizine and is supposed to cause less drowsiness than regular Dramamine which contains the active ingrediant dyphenhydramine which is the same active ingredient in Benadryl and Tylenol P.M. and it has the tendency to make people very sleepy.
So if you had problems with Bonine making you that drowsy, you may want to consider a lower dose or not take it at all and see if you are prone to being seasick before taking it. as well as trying the homeopathic remedies above like ginger and sea bands.
The Scopolamine patch has many side effects and the ship we were on in January had a sign posted on the infirmary door that they were no longer prescribing it due to the side effects. So if you are considering this, get it from your doctor at home before you go.
Old March 28th, 2005, 05:29 PM
Admiral

Bonine does not make you drowsy, maybe it was your night before your trip! <VBG> Hubby & I take it on every cruise we have been on with no drowsiness....

8/92 Mex. Riv. Commodore
9/98, 9/00, 9/02 & 7/04 Caribbean - Paradise
10/00, 08/05 Pac. Wtrs. Holiday, Monarch
04/06 Hawaii - Celebrity Summit
09/07 Alaska - Celebrity Summit
07/09 Western Caribbean RCCL Liberty of the Seas
Old March 28th, 2005, 09:36 PM
Admiral

You are not supposed to drink alcohol when taking any of these medications. It eliminates the intended purpose and aggravates the side effects (drowsiness).
Old March 29th, 2005, 11:03 PM
borntocruisejp

Default Re: Re: Sea sick anyone???

PapaBill
What do you do with the ginger? I am very curious as I love herb remedies. jp
Old March 30th, 2005, 10:44 AM
Admiral

borntocruise - you can get Ginger capsules at any health food store, many drug stores also carry it, crystalized ginger candy and gingersnap cookies also work well, and taste yummy to boot!
Keeping some lighweight carbs in your stomach is also very helpful- bread, rolls, cereal, crackers.
The SeaBands work great
Pack the Bonine, just in case, take it at night as needed to avoid the drowsiness.