CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/index.php)
-   Chit - Chat for Cruisers (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=278)
-   -   Fire!! (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/showthread.php?t=272788)

rollerdonna May 4th, 2005 11:24 PM

Fire!!

Didn't get home till 10 p.m. after parent-teacher interviews tonight. Tired after a long day, came home to discover my son had accidentally set the kitchen on fire trying to keep a pizza warm in the oven IN THE BOX!!! He threw the flaming box out in the backyard, grabbed the kitchen fire extinguisher (thank God we had one!), put out the fire, evacuated the pets, and cleaned up most of the mess.
When I got home, I still had to clean out the oven (it needed it anyway...) and re-wash the floor I had washed just before leaving for work this morning. Some days just suck....

donna

SUSAN CURTIS May 4th, 2005 11:34 PM

Re: Fire!!

With so many other tragic outcomes to this story, Praise God that you came home to your son cleaning up a mess, versus the fire department cleaning up what was left of your home, or much much worse. Some days are just awesome.

rollerdonna May 4th, 2005 11:35 PM

Thanks Susan, for putting it into perspective. :)

donna

JeanS May 5th, 2005 12:17 AM

Yes, thank goodness it was just a mess and nothing more....many too times you hear on the news about a small fire becoming a real disaster!!!!

All I can say about your story is..........PHEW!!!!

Lisa May 5th, 2005 01:16 AM

Donna - good thing your son kept his head in a bad situation! He stayed cool and did what he had to do. Congrats to your son!

Cruznut2 May 5th, 2005 04:27 AM

Donna, so sorry you had such a tough day. Thankfully it was not worse. Your son did well to act so fast and put out the fire.

Laura

Caribbeancats May 5th, 2005 04:48 AM

A house fire is always heartbreaking; glad this one had a good ending.
Everyone should have at least one fire extinguishers in the home. and don't forget those smoak alarms.

Phyllbo May 5th, 2005 05:59 AM

Donna,
I'm so glad this didn't have a tragic ending. I'm sure after a long day at work, it was the last thing you needed to come home and face. Glad things did turn out alright, and your son and the house were ok.

Phyll

VTJen May 5th, 2005 06:55 AM

I'm so glad all of you are ok. Sorry about the mess. Kids - you gotta love 'em. Common Sense, yet sometimes no Common Sense.

VTJen

sue May 5th, 2005 07:36 AM

Re: Re: Fire!!

At least nothing bad happened....:) sorry you came home to such a mess!

Jason May 5th, 2005 08:53 AM

RollerD,
Glad to hear you still had a home to come too. It sure could have been a tragedy, had it not been for some quick thinking. If having to clean a few things was the only damage, I would say you fared well.

LisaK May 5th, 2005 09:39 AM

kudos to J for keeping a cool head .

CruzinK&J May 5th, 2005 10:54 AM

Donna, sorry about the mess, but the other posters are right: it could have been much worse. And YOU are right, too: some days just suck. LOL What would we do without that expression :):)

Judy

Fern May 5th, 2005 08:11 PM

Wow! I always put the pizza (in the box) in the oven on "Low" until we are ready to eat. Guess I'll have to be more careful in the future! A lesson learned from your DS!
I'm so glad all you had was a mess. He certainly handled this potential disaster very well. You must be proud of him. (Along with many OTHER thoughts!)