Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 24th, 2005, 04:28 AM
Admiral

Default Disney World advice needed.

As I posted in the good morning thread we are going to Disney World in September. It has been years since we've been there...the kids were little the last time. This time it is just Gary and I. I would appreciate any advice you can give me. Are there any tricks to buying discounted tickets? Which tickets are the best? We will probably go to the park 3 days. Thanks in advance for your tips.

RCCL Allure of the Seas - September 18, 2011
Celebrity Eclipse - February 11, 2012:
RCCL Navigator OTS - February 9, 2013
Sponsored Links
Old June 24th, 2005, 06:14 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Disney World advice needed.

No real discounted tickets unless you want to listen to timeshare sales pitches. AAA has slightly discounted tickets if you buy 4 day park hopper.

4 Day park hopper is your best deal (unless you want annual pass). I recommend taking advantage of all the great restaurants. If you just want to go to Disney, don't get a car. The extra to staying on property is still probably better than paying for a car. Rte 192 in Kissimmee can be a turn off. Only go down there if you are really looking for discounted motels.

Let me know if you have specific questions.

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old June 24th, 2005, 06:47 AM
Admiral

I agree with Marc that the 4 day park hopper is your best bet. Also look into length of stay pass, available if you stay on Disney property. With AAA you can also get a discount on lodging.

As for where to stay--We have have stayed at the All-Star resorts, Port Orleans, the Polynesian Resort, and two hotels in Disney Marketplace. If money is not a question, stay at the Polynesian. It is on the monorail, is within walking distance to the Transportation Center, has large comfortable rooms, has a great pool and the atmosphere is heavenly. If you want to spend less, definitely look into the Port Orleans Riverside. We were there last December. It is beautiful. The rooms are pretty good size for a moderate priced room. The pool area is nice, the restaurant is great and the grounds are beautiful to walk around. (great pictures with the water wheel in the background) There is a boat to Disney Marketplace but otherwise you take a bus everywhere. As for the All-Star Resorts--TOO MANY KIDS.

Post Edited (06-24-05 10:14)
Old June 24th, 2005, 08:15 AM
Admiral

September is a great time to go. The weather will be cool and the kids will be in school, so it won't be too crowded. What days are you going? If you'll be there Sept. 30 you'll be able to go to the food and wine festival at Epcot, which is well worth going to.

I don't really have any accomodation information, except that staying on Disney property is best (especially if you're only going to do Disney and not any other Orlando attractions) and Lake Buena Vista is also nice, but stay away from Kissimmee.

The 4-day parkhopper pass will be your best bet. If you get tired of one park you can leave and go to another in the middle of the day. Like everyone said, there really isn't a way to buy discounted tickets unless you want to listen to a timeshare sales pitch, but AAA can perhaps get you a slight discount and if you are a military family you can get discount tickets at the base travel agent.

The best restaurants are at Epcot in the World Showcase. The restaurants at the Animal Kingdom lodge are also wonderful.

There's some good information at http://www.allearsnet.com/.

Hope this helps. Let us know if you have more specific questions.

Cheers,
Michelle P.

Post Edited (06-24-05 08:20)

Old June 24th, 2005, 08:17 AM
Admiral

Also, go early and head towards the back of the park and work you way forward. Most guests start at the entrance area and work their way the other direction.
Old June 24th, 2005, 09:43 AM
Admiral

another vote for the 4 day park hopper pass.
We have found that its a really good idea to spend one whole day at the water parks just to relax and veg from all the running around you do in the parks. We take our "beach day" in the middle of our stay.
Totally agree that the better restaurants are in the World Showcase at Epcot.
There is however a really good seafood restaurant right on the water over at the Marketplace, can't remember the name right now. You have to make your reservations early at all the restaurants if you want to get in at a time you want.
If they still do the Laser light show at Epcot thats a must see.
Old June 24th, 2005, 09:45 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

My best advice about DisneyWorld is to skip it <VBG>

I last went in 1995, and now have an open contract out on the mouse.

Go on a cruise!

Old June 24th, 2005, 10:59 AM
Admiral

Thanks for all of the great advice. Now, Kuki, I was acting on your advice to me to "broaden my horizons" .....now you tell me you didn't mean Disney World????? . Somehow, I knew this would be your response Kuki! I always new that Moose didn't like Mice!

Old June 24th, 2005, 11:54 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Disney World advice needed.

They don't have the laser light show anymore. It's a show called Illuminations now. Mainly fireworks but also some lights on the world showcase pavilions and a rotating sphere in the middle of the lagoon that displays pictures. No lasers anymore, I'm afraid.

Cheers,
Michelle P.

Old June 24th, 2005, 02:14 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Angela Z.

I'll second (3rd and 4th) what all have already said!
Hope we have nice weather for you and hope we can get together!
Angela Z.
Old June 24th, 2005, 03:45 PM
Passenger

I don't know if I can post this here but there a discussion board that is all about Disney. It is disboards.com. They have lots of friendly people who know tons about Disney. Whenever someone asks about cruises I always tell them about cruiemates.
Old June 24th, 2005, 04:07 PM
Yeoman

Another Floridian adding their 2 cents worth. Go for the park hopper. Check w/ your TA and see if you can get a package sometimes available with our hotel. Which one are you staying at? We go out there quite frequently ( next weekend as a matter of fact).
Anne

Caribbean Princess
Old June 24th, 2005, 06:00 PM
AR

Just remember that you're going to the place that was once aptly described thus. . .

"wherein people enter with their children, their wits and their money, and leave with their children only."

I've always liked that.
Old June 24th, 2005, 06:13 PM
Admiral

Mary lou...I would suggest Universal Studios and Epcot..could not get enough of either.

Old June 24th, 2005, 09:45 PM
Admiral

AND since it's just the two of you with no kids, try Citywalk one night. It's adjacent to Universal Studios and is a really fun place if you like music (okay and bars.....).

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old June 26th, 2005, 05:56 AM
Admiral

Again, thank you all for all of the great tips. The only thing I have booked for sure right now is the airfare. Still need to firm up the other things. I will put all of your advice to good use.

Old June 26th, 2005, 10:31 AM
Bubb Rubb

Maybe I'll see you there! Seeing as I go to WDW 5 days a week (I work there, I drive a Disney bus) I might be able to give you a little insight as to how to make the most of your stay. When it comes to hotel selection I would for sure stay on property as others have mentioned. The reasons for this are numerous. The main reason is transportation. Disney runs on average 4-5 buses per hour to each resort destination, The downtown Disney area resorts (Wyndham, Grovesner, Doubletree ect...) only run 2 buses per hour, and If you get father of the beaten path you might get one bus in the morning and one at night. If you choose a Disney hotel the buses drop you off right at the gate of the magic kingdom. If you select an outside resort the buses drop you at the Transportation and Ticket Center, and from there you have to transfer to a monorail or ferry to get to the entrance. Another reason for staying on propery is access to the Extra Magic Hours. On designated nights during your stay one park per night allows Disney Resort guests only to stay three hours after regular park closing time. This is a perfect oppertunity to catch all the thing you might have missed without having to stand in massive lines. The best part about extra magic hours is that they are free, yes thats right you heard me correcty Disney offered something for F R E E! ! ! !

When it comes to hotel selection I'll offer you my honest opinion. If I were staying on property Without a doubt I would pick either the Boardwalk, The Yacht Club, or the Beach Club due to their proximity to the center of property, and that they are within walking distance to the Back entrance of EPCOT, when you enter Epcot the back way you wind up right between England and France in the World showcase this thereby gives you easy access to all the fine EPCOT dining that others have mentioned. Hope this helped a bit. See you there!