Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 23rd, 2005, 07:09 PM
Yeoman

Default At What Age Are You Considered Elderly?

I am 64 yrs. old and my feelings were hurt recently. A newsman referred to a 64 yr. old lady as being elderly! What are your thoughts? He won't think he is elderly when he turns 64!
Sponsored Links
Old July 23rd, 2005, 07:15 PM
Admiral

Default Re: At What Age Are You Considered Elderly?

Elderly is when your children are on Social Security.

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old July 23rd, 2005, 08:23 PM
Andee

Ten years older than you are.
Old July 23rd, 2005, 09:48 PM
linda g.

Being elderly is just a state of mind. I volunteer in a nursing home where I teach current events and I have to say that I have learned plenty from so called "senior citizens". Many of their minds are still as sharp as when they were in their 20's. Attitude about life is everything; if you think and act as if you are old, you are old but if you think young, stay physically and emotionally active, then you are young!
Old July 23rd, 2005, 10:02 PM
CruisinK&J

However elderly is defined, it is certainly a state of mind and body. My husband is 76. I have watched him as he recovered from a very serious illness. I never thought he'd be the same again. But now, everyday, I see signs of his return to his original self. He may never be all the way back as he was, but you cannot imagine how profoundly happy I am to see the improvements. He's fighting his way back, and so is his brother.

Judy
Old July 23rd, 2005, 10:21 PM
Admiral

I just turned 50 and I am feeling muscle pains in muscles I didn't even know I had. I don't think of myself as elderly but my body does.

I shouldn't have abused it so much the last 10 years!

Regards,
Thomas
Old July 23rd, 2005, 11:41 PM
Admiral

I found that old age doesn't creep up on you, it all of a sudden reaches out and says GOTCHA...... Old age is definitely a state of mind, but I have to agree my body sure thinks it is old.

Carnival Glory
Old July 24th, 2005, 12:32 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Y2C

Elderly is the relative of time. Never stops and either do we.
Life is short compared to eternity, take life and run with it. Yes this body does feel aches and pains that have not been there before.

The dictionary defines elderly as passed middle age. I procrastinate that elderly is at least in the 60's, and when I become 70, that will be middle age.

Marc, you are right, when the kids are on SS that will make me feel ELDERLY. Since our government can't seem to get the social security in trust, then I'll never be elderly as my kid won't be able to collect. ... ROFLMAO.

Old July 24th, 2005, 01:06 AM
Ginnie

Default Re: Re: At What Age Are You Considered Elderly?

Age is a matter of mind, if you don't mind it doesn't matter, and "Elderly " will always be 10 years older than I am.
Ginnie
Old July 24th, 2005, 05:12 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

I have to agree that age is in the mind. working with the developmentally disabled I see that every day. My Patty is 67 in years but her mind is much younger. She has the stamina and energy of the younger person. She positively amazes me.

Laura

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old July 24th, 2005, 08:32 AM
Admiral

I agree with Andee and Tweety...My body may grow old but my mind will stay young ( I hope )...>VBG<

Thomas..just wait buddy..it only gets worse....You will also find out that you cant reach where you use to either..ROFL

Old July 24th, 2005, 09:05 AM
Admiral

Some say 10 years older than you are at the present. I have always thought that it was at least 20 years more than I! !

The truth of the matter is, I don't think you ever see yourself, or perhaps even your loved ones, as elderly. My parents are 82 and 79, but I still don't think of them as elderly, although I do give them a hard time about going to visit them in the "old folks home"!

Old July 24th, 2005, 09:34 AM
Admiral

Having reached the ripe old age of 74, I now consider the word "elderly" to mean anybody older than I. And thus will it always remain!

Jack

Cruise #25, Monarch OTS 11/28/2011, Bahamas
Old July 24th, 2005, 10:31 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

You're elderly when you brag about staying up past the 10 O'clock news.

You're elderly when sleeping in means you weren't up before 7 AM.

You're elderly when the first question you ask on a tour bus is where the bathroom is.

You're elderly when after a visit to the super market the only things in your cart are Metamucil and heartburn medication.

You're elderly when you think to yourself why all your friends look old... while you still look so young.

You're elderly when you consider making yourself a late night snack excercise.

Old July 24th, 2005, 11:24 AM
DENISE H

i'm never going to be old my body feels old and i'm slowing down but i'm still
haveing fun and life is adventure and there are places if have not seen life is
what you make it and when i do go i'm go out with a big bang
Old July 24th, 2005, 12:25 PM
venice

you are elderly when they put you in the casket..up to that time, there is no such thing as elderly..quite frankly I enjoy my senior citizen discount at the movies and my GF (who is under 50) enjoys dating an "older man"
Old July 24th, 2005, 12:35 PM
Admiral

By Kuki's standards, I am still a teen ager.

I guess that you are as old as you feel, and I feel good. I don't concern myself with the years that have passed, but only with the years that are to come.

Live and let live and you'll live a lot longer!
Old July 24th, 2005, 02:43 PM
Passenger

We actually had this "discussion" on our last cruise (Mex Riviera, Jan05 Diamond Princess). We were in 1st seating with 2 wonderful older couples (Rita and I are 48/44) Ed and his wife Betty were 78 and 75, and Joe and his wife Sue were 81 and 75 respectively. Unfortunately we had a younger, but boorish couple (Mike 34 and Anna 23) who talked incessantly about their money and things...but they did get a rise out of Sue on the 4th night when Mike called her 'elderly'....she said to Mike, "Sonny, elderly is when you don't mind your manners...in which case you are the oldest of us all!!" We didnt see them the rest of the trip...and had a blast!
Old July 24th, 2005, 09:38 PM
Emptynesters

"Elderly" & "old" is not a number, it is when you throw in the towel & give up. I know plenty of "old" 40 yr old's & see some 80 yr olds that could whip them in a minute!
Old July 25th, 2005, 06:44 AM
Admiral

64 years old elderly? Well hooray for me. It couldn't come early enough

I trurned 65 last year, bought my first motorcycle, took my safety cource and motorcycle rider's licence and passed on the first try. Hooray for me.

I go to the movies and pay half price and hooray for me.

The Gov't of Canada, in it's infinite wisdom, is paying me over $550.00 old age pension plus a Canada pension. It more than pays for a 7-day cruise + a couple weeks in Florida. Hooray for me.

Last year, I took an introduction to computers at the local university and now I'm interacting with people from New Zeland, England, Vancouver , Montreal, Florida, New York, New Hamphire, Wisconsin Texas, California and several other states etc. Hooray for me.

The kicker is my 7 grand-children. Three of them, I see daily, the other 4 on a weekly basis. My 4-year old grand son would rather hang out with me than anybody else. If you have to be elderly for that. All I can say is ''eat your heart out'' and hooray for me.

I could go on and on.

It does bring a few malaises but, I see people of all age afflicted by cancer, diabetes, MS., killed by various accidents and I say to myself, ''I'm too old to die young'' and you know what, ''Hooray for me''.

Bill
Old July 25th, 2005, 07:47 AM
Admiral

Age only matters if you are a cheese or a bottle of wine.

Explorer of the Seas October 2013
Caribbean Princess July 2006, May 2010 & November 2012
Monarch of the Seas November 2008
Crown Princess November 2007
Celebrity Zenith November 2005
Enchantment of the Seas August 2004
Old July 25th, 2005, 03:57 PM
Admiral

I prefer "Dirty Old Man" myself.

Just 1 month to go until the "Cruise Cynic Mystery Cruise" ... January 2008
Old July 27th, 2005, 06:17 AM
Kay O'Hara

OK. I am new here and you may swing away at will but I can't stay quiet another minute. I say this with love, kindness, and respect. Elderly is not a “four letter word”. Now I’m not saying that people do not use it that way but it does not have to mean something bad. Please help me to spread the word. To be elderly is to be grand.

Dictionary.com’s definition

1. Being past middle age and approaching old age; rather old.
2. Of, relating to, or characteristic of older persons or life in later years.

I grew up with my Grandmother referring to herself as my Elderly Grandma. She was my very best friend and the person who fed my soul. Based on that relationship here is my definition of Elderly.

A warm, loving, generous, giving, vibrant, exciting, excited, sexy, fun, funny, intelligent, witty, sassy, strong, gentle, and beautiful person who has been around long enough to have a few good stories to share. Wow, Grandma…… I miss you so much.