Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 22nd, 2006, 05:12 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Door Lock for Hotel Door?

Hi:

Anyone ever purchased and used a door lock for their hotel room? I'm thinking of buying one for our upcoming cruise out of San Juan in three weeks. I was just reading a review of the hotel we're staying at for a pre-night and in January, people were robbed while out of their room and also while they were sleeping. It makes me want to change hotels, but at this late date I don't think we'll be able to. It was the Sheraton Old San Juan.

I just wondered if anyone had bought a door lock for their hotel room and if it really works. I guess I know why I'm getting gray hair and my husband doesn't have any. I do all the worrying and planning of things and he just goes along for the ride.

I'm really looking forward to the Adventure of the Seas next month, but the hotel hasn't had the best reviews and now I read this.

Any thoughts or comments?

Thanks.....Anita aka Buddy
Sponsored Links
Old February 22nd, 2006, 06:35 PM
Familiar Face

Hi,

No, I have not ever used or purchased a door lock for a hotel room. Usually they have that swing bar that goes over a knob and we use that in addition to the deadbolt lock. I hope that you don't have to use an extra lock but if it makes you feel more secure, it would be worth it to you.

I suppose you could also place a chair and/or your luggage in front of the door so someone on the outside would have to try really hard to push it away? If, by then you are in that situation, it would probably be too late. Not to try to make you panic or anything but I think you'll be fine. Why do you think its too late to cancel your hotel? Have you prepaid it? If you haven't pre-paid it, you can cancel it and book somewhere else.

If you have pre-paid, then just being careful and keeping a watchful eye should be good. Just as a side note, doing this in all cities is a good idea, not just San Juan.
Old February 23rd, 2006, 05:17 PM
Yeoman

Default Door lock for hotel door

Never had any problems staying in San Juan. We were also out and about in the evening and it was really nice. Never felt unsafe and most hotel rooms have a dead bolt. Two years ago we stayed at the Wyndham near the pier and that is not as nice as Sheraton. We walked all the way thru Old San Juan and over to El Morro.One thing I noticed about the people there, they are very upbeat and friendly.

Betty
cruise #19 booked: Crown Princess, 9/30/06

cruise #20 booked: Carnival Liberty, 1/14/07