Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

Old September 7th, 2007, 07:59 AM
Passenger

Default New to CM

Hello, I'm new to this board. I am finding it to be so friendly and informative. I was on a different one for a while and was getting stressed out because I almost felt a condescending attitude from some posters due to my newbie status, and for my questions, of which I have many since I've only cruised twice before. Although that's two more than some, there are still many in's and out's to learn and I think this is the perfect place!

I am a 43 year old social worker who is taking some time off to be a stay at home mom for the first time in 19 years. I'm married, and the mother of a freshman in college and freshman in H.S. (I hope that's not too much information)

Our next cruise will be on the NOS, Royal Caribbean, in March of 2008. It will be myself, husband and H.S. aged daughter. Can't wait! I need to quit obsessing over a cruise that is seven months away, don't you think?
Old September 7th, 2007, 08:21 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to CaptainEdwardJohnSmith

The Captain bids you a warm welcome to CruiseMates, Paige.
I too crossed over from that "dark" side, you will find members here are a much friendlier lot.
Please come post often and do like I do, spread the word around with your friends from the other site and let them know that they do have a civilized alternative where they can post without feeling/being intimidated.
You will just love it here.

Happy cruising.

Captain
Old September 7th, 2007, 09:00 AM
Admiral

Welcome Paige, from an "oldie" (I've been here about 5 years) and a friendlier place you will not find anywhere!
No, you did not give too much information, we do share all our life stories here from time to time!
Please feel free to ask any question you want, if we can't help, we'll direct you to any of our board topics that can.

Welcome aboard!

donna
Old September 7th, 2007, 09:22 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Howdy do, and welcome Paige, to the friendliest site on the web. The whole family is here to help answer questions, listen, when needed and help in any way we can.

You picked great ship..and anticipation is half the fun!

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old September 7th, 2007, 10:29 AM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollerdonna
Welcome Paige, from an "oldie" (I've been here about 5 years) and a friendlier place you will not find anywhere!
No, you did not give too much information, we do share all our life stories here from time to time!
Please feel free to ask any question you want, if we can't help, we'll direct you to any of our board topics that can.

Welcome aboard!

donna
One question: Does anyone know why cruising is so addictive? I have two land vacations planned before my next cruise, and it's as though I don't care one thing about them! All I want to think about is our cruise in March.

For those who have someone with whom to share your love of crusing, consider yourselves lucky. My poor husband, although he is afraid of the seas, has agreed to humor me with an occasional cruise since we took our first 3 years ago, but I can't see us cruising exclusively, which, for some odd reason would be fine with me!!
Old September 7th, 2007, 10:39 AM
Admiral

Welcome

To answer, in my humble opinion, I think it is just the excitment of being on a large ship etc, Kind of like in the old days when one went on a plane.......

I happen to be of the mindset that I personally canniot just do cruises either, and need land trips as well, but it is nice and awfully lucky when one can do both. We have two land trips booked and one 11 day cruise this winter and that suits me just fine. ( Antigua, Mexico- land, NCL GEM south. carib. cruise) I think I am looking forward to this next cruise more than usual because I am going with a close group of loved ones, and also it is a brand new ship and we will be visiting ports where I have loved one living during winter months which makes it really nice!
Old September 7th, 2007, 10:41 AM
Admiral

Welcome Paigelee I'm also going on a cruise in 7 months there is nothing wrong with obsessing. I can't wait I can't wait yeah Sorry just felt like doing that. Where is your cruise going to?

Cruising is so addicitve because you do nothing but get to the ship. You don't have to find food, you don't have to clean your room, there are shows to watch, and you get to see several different ports for the cost of what a land cruise to one place would cost or cheaper. Best Vacation deal out there much better then camping.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old September 7th, 2007, 05:31 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Welcome to CruiseMates!!!!
Don't be afraid to ask ANY question. If we don't know the answer we make stuff up
Old September 7th, 2007, 06:17 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

Welcome PaigeLee, Cruising is addictive. I have been hooked since 1983 when I took my first one. I drove away all my friends in the 9 months I had to wait since I booked it!! I just talked nothing but cruises!! I am currently booked on a cruise leaving on the 29th of September. I was booked over a year ago and have been enjoying the anticipation. You certainly came to the right place to find friendly helpful folks. Feel free to join the fun and post often.

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old September 7th, 2007, 07:47 PM
Admiral

Paigelee....just think of it as a healthy obsession, ha!

We want to welcome you to our cruise family...we have all been newbies at one time. When I started cruising, I never even knew these web sites existed and I had a million questions. None of my co-workers, friends or family had any cruise experience so I did a lot of research on my own at Barnes & Noble and learned by trial and error. You should have seen what I packed for my first cruise, ha! ha! I covered every contingency and only wore half of what I packed.

I live in Florida and live within an easy drive of all the cruise ports (lucky me!!) so I save a lot of money on airfare, rental cars, shuttles, etc.

Please post all your questions, one of our cruise family members will have the right answer for you. Even the seasoned cruisers still have lots of questions regarding ships and experiences they haven't tried yet.
Old September 8th, 2007, 02:18 AM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by katlady
Welcome Paigelee I'm also going on a cruise in 7 months there is nothing wrong with obsessing. I can't wait I can't wait yeah Sorry just felt like doing that. Where is your cruise going to?

Cruising is so addicitve because you do nothing but get to the ship. You don't have to find food, you don't have to clean your room, there are shows to watch, and you get to see several different ports for the cost of what a land cruise to one place would cost or cheaper. Best Vacation deal out there much better then camping.
I agree that cruising is a WAY different and better, in my opinion, that camping I think the awe of it all is that we have to do is get on the ship and have fun. This is the first time I've booked my excursions through the cruiseline on line and now I REALLY feel like everything has been taken care of.

In answer to your question, we are going to Grand Caymen and Ohco Rios. I've not been to GC; have been to Jamaica quite a bit, although not as much in the OR area. At first I was a little apprehensive about spending only a day in Jamaica, thinking we would be exposed to the commercial aspects; but have booked a plantation tour that looks great and has excellent reviews, so now I'm really excited about that port, too!
Old September 8th, 2007, 02:32 AM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delfthuis
Welcome

To answer, in my humble opinion, I think it is just the excitment of being on a large ship etc, Kind of like in the old days when one went on a plane.......

I happen to be of the mindset that I personally canniot just do cruises either, and need land trips as well, but it is nice and awfully lucky when one can do both. We have two land trips booked and one 11 day cruise this winter and that suits me just fine. ( Antigua, Mexico- land, NCL GEM south. carib. cruise) I think I am looking forward to this next cruise more than usual because I am going with a close group of loved ones, and also it is a brand new ship and we will be visiting ports where I have loved one living during winter months which makes it really nice!
The analagy that cruising is like the excitement we used to feel on a plane was great!
Old September 8th, 2007, 02:32 AM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delfthuis
Welcome

The analagy that cruising is like the excitement we used to feel on a plane was great!
Old September 8th, 2007, 08:08 AM
Admiral

Welcome Paigelee. Yours, is a very good question, and I certainly don't have the answer, but I absolutey do suffer from the "cruises only" disease! We just returned yesterday, from a week in the Tennessee mountains, in a rented chalet. It was absolutely beautiful, but I couldn't wait to get home, and resume the countdown for our next cruise. (exactly six weeks, but who's counting ) Fortunately for me, the lovely Mrs. Jones (Vita) shares in the love of cruising, so it's no problem that I book 4, 5, or sometimes 6 cruises a year. For me, the land vacations are just a waste of time, and money.

Ken
Old September 8th, 2007, 08:31 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Welcome Paigelee:

Ask your questions, join in on the discussions, answer other people's questions and enjoy the ride.

It is a wonderful world of cruising and obsession is just part of that world. We're all residents so welcome to our world.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old September 8th, 2007, 08:15 PM
First Mate

katlady is right. You get on the ship and that's it. You get to spend the rest of your cruise being waited on. I can't understand any woman who can think of a better vacation. My DH tends to motion sickness so we also go on river cruises, but nothing can compare to an ocean cruise. Why wouldn't you be crzed with anticipation?
Old September 8th, 2007, 08:33 PM
Admiral

During my last cruise I pondered the question of why is a cruise better than a land vacation. After a while I think I figured out the single most important thing a cruise does for you. If you think hard about it it does something psychological to you without realizing it. Here it is.

Know matter what is going on in your life that is stressing you, it could be your job, problems with your house or car or whatever catastophe that is going on in your life, when you are on that ship you can't do a thing about it.you're in the middle of the ocean! You are almost powerless. I think your brain allows you to put these things out of your mind allows you to truly enjoy a vacation without any worries. The ship takes care of the rest! no worries about food or drink, don't need your cash, don't have to purchase tickets to shows or anything. everything is virtually there.

I can't count the times I have come home early from a land vacation cause of something I had on my mind that needed taking care of. You can't let it go. On a cruise you can cause you have no choice.
Old September 8th, 2007, 08:37 PM
Admiral

Welcome to the group.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old September 8th, 2007, 08:39 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to JamesRT Send a message via MSN to JamesRT Send a message via Yahoo to JamesRT

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescuedad
During my last cruise I pondered the question of why is a cruise better than a land vacation. After a while I think I figured out the single most important thing a cruise does for you. If you think hard about it it does something psychological to you without realizing it. Here it is.

Know matter what is going on in your life that is stressing you, it could be your job, problems with your house or car or whatever catastophe that is going on in your life, when you are on that ship you can't do a thing about it.you're in the middle of the ocean! You are almost powerless. I think your brain allows you to put these things out of your mind allows you to truly enjoy a vacation without any worries. The ship takes care of the rest! no worries about food or drink, don't need your cash, don't have to purchase tickets to shows or anything. everything is virtually there.

I can't count the times I have come home early from a land vacation cause of something I had on my mind that needed taking care of. You can't let it go. On a cruise you can cause you have no choice.
Big AMEN Brother!!!!
Old September 8th, 2007, 08:44 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to JamesRT Send a message via MSN to JamesRT Send a message via Yahoo to JamesRT

Welcome to CruiseMates!