Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

Old November 17th, 2008, 12:13 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki
Default A Picture I hadn't seen before

This is a picture of my father I had never seen before. Until the last few years he spoke very very little of his experience in the "war years". As near as we could figure out, in this picture he was probably 26 or 27 years old, and in the Polish Cavalry.

By coincidence (perhaps) during a recent hospital stay a patient he shared a room with had a son who was on the Canadian Equestrian Team during these last Summer Olympics. During their stay together he brought in photo albums of his son riding, and my father spoke to him about how he learned to ride and jump, and his experiences. The two became quite close, and even after both went home, he would call and come to the house to visit with my father.

Also yesterday, a distant cousin I hadn't met, e-mailed me a copy of a family tree he's worked on for many years.... telling me alot about family members I'd known nothing about.

Oddly (perhaps) he lives close to Ft. Lauderdale, so the next time we're in Florida, we'll definately be getting together to meet.
Old November 17th, 2008, 12:31 PM
Admiral

Very cool indeed! I think that you are going to enjoy meeting your extended family. I can say that the geneology bug is almost as contagious as the cruising bug...

Read and post cruise reviews
Old November 17th, 2008, 01:21 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I think many of our parents generation, spoke less of things, in their past than our generation does now, and I wish I had asked more questions and paid more attention, when stories were told...

Once, I came home from a cruise, and looked at the tons of mail to open, one big envelope stuck out, and it was from a cousin, who had a friend do a family tree. She hi-lighted all our mutual relatives, and it just amazed me.

Sometimes snippets of people and stories will come through the past to the present, as your new found cousins have.....for sure, a good time will be had when you meet. Your Dad wore his uniform well.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old November 17th, 2008, 02:06 PM
Admiral

What a wonderful treasure. A handsome man.
Old November 17th, 2008, 02:14 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Sea Trekker

they say.. It takes a wedding and a funeral to bring the family together.
Our family is spread out over the U.S.

My ex husband did a family tree and discover several famous people.
On my son & daughters side are the great grand parent were Pocahontas and the ancestry of John Smith in the Virginia colony.
Old November 17th, 2008, 08:03 PM
Admiral

Old November 17th, 2008, 11:22 PM
Admiral

When I saw Kuki's photo I thought what a treasure to have. Then I remembered an exercise we did in class and couldn't resist trying my hand.

Kuki, your father was an amazing man and we know how close you were. I wouldn't presume to have improved the photo. I think you should treasure it just as you found it. Your photo speaks volumes of the hardships he endured.

Keith
Old November 18th, 2008, 12:09 AM
Admiral

What a great find! The interesting things you find out about your family.....

Recently, a cousin of mine sent me a cassette tape made back in the 70's at a house party on New Years Eve. My father, who loved to play the piano or the organ, was playing requests all night long, and many relatives who are now long gone can be heard talking, laughing and singing along.
What wonderful memories they are!

donna
Old November 18th, 2008, 06:13 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

Kuki, Twice while in a genealogy site I came across postings from people looking for members of my family. Both times I answered them. One was from a man in Maine. His wife was doing a genealogy of their family. We started exchanging information. They sent me a census from 1920 for the neighborhood I grew up in. We also exchanged pictures of our relatives and it was amazing to see the resemblances. We were able to determine that this mans grandfather and my grandmother were siblings. I recieved manifests from them of the ships that my family came to the US in. All wonderful treasures to me.
Shortly after I arrived in Florida to live I found another posting from another man with a family name. I answered that also. It turned out that this mans grandmother and my grandmother were sisters. This man and his wife live in Palm Harbor Florida. We arranged to meet at a local restaurant. We spent 3 hours in that restaurant talking and learning about family members. He and his wife had traveled to Corfinio, Italy where my family came from. They stayed there two weeks finding living relatives. He brought back many wonderful pictures from the lovely old village from which my family came.
The picture is a precious treasure of your father who was a marvelous man. From the experiences I have had from meeting relatives I definitly say go for it.

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old November 18th, 2008, 02:57 PM
Admiral

Kuki, what a wonderful picture of your dad! I am sure that his hospital stay was much more pleasant because of the fate of having such a wonderful person to share the room there. Several years ago, I connected with a relative, who lives in Israel, on Ancestry.com. I had remembered that my grandfather, Max Itzkowitz, had come from Minsk, which is part of Belarus and was a first cousin of Eddie Cantor. What a wonderful surprise when I got an email from a distant relative, that I didn't know I have, wrote and told me so much about my grandfather, Max's family!
Old November 19th, 2008, 10:29 AM
First Mate

Wow, what a good looking guy! You must have been so proud of him. I remember when my Dad died, this past spring, hundreds and hundreds of people came up to me at the calling hours to tell me how much he had helped them. I never knew. Those are the sorts of things that you find out eventually. God bless your family. So sorry for your loss.