Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 18th, 2009, 10:21 AM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to Dave the Wave Send a message via Yahoo to Dave the Wave
Default Drunken college student survives fall from 6th floor balcony

We hear so much of cruise ship OB's. This is the second spring breaker to OB in three days. The first landed in the sand dunes. This one on an awning.

This used to be the Hilton on St Pete Beach. I worked there as the Tanning Consultant and cabana boy from 84 to 94.

Man showing off for a woman falls six floors from St. Pete Beach hotel balcony and survives

ST. PETE BEACH — He wanted to show a woman afraid of heights that it was safe to stand on a sixth-floor hotel balcony.

Instead, the man fell five stories onto a second-floor concrete ledge Tuesday night, the hotel president said today.

The unidentified man survived and was flown to Bayfront Medical Center, where he is recovering this morning, authorities said.

Police are still investigating the incident, which happened around 11:15 p.m. at the Grand Plaza Beachfront Hotel.

The man was not a registered guest, said James Kotsopoulos, president of Grand Plaza Resorts Inc. He was visiting someone staying in the room he had met earlier that night and brought some women with him, Kotsopoulos said.

One of the women said she was afraid to be so high up, so the man said, "Don't be afraid,'' and leaned back against the railing, Kotsopoulos said.

Hotel staff quickly got onto to the ledge through a room to keep the man from falling again, Kotsopoulos said. He was responsive when paramedics arrived, he said.

The company has never had a similar incident in 30 years of business, Kotsopoulos said.

Hotel guest Lori Hawkins was in a nearby room on the fourth floor. "I heard someone yell, 'Don't do it, don't do it,' and I heard this big clump. I didn't think it was something bad, then I looked out the corner of my hotel," she said. "I'm on the fourth floor and I saw this guy laying there and he started moving. He fell off from the sixth floor — that's kind of scary."

It was the second time in two days that someone showing off fell from a Florida hotel balcony and survived.

On Monday, Ross Skarda of Arlington, Texas, was found by Panama City police in sand dunes and sea oats next to his beachside condominium. A police spokesman said Skarda was showing off for friends and went over the edge when the chair he was standing on slipped from under him.

Read and post cruise reviews

Song of America Dec '90
Starship Majestic May '89
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Mariner May '07 April '08
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Radiance of the Seas Oct '10
Sponsored Links
Old March 18th, 2009, 10:29 AM
Admiral

its that time of year, SPRING BREAK, you would think it would be mandatory for spring breakers to take a mandatory safety class on balconies.... well the class wouldn't be held on teh balcony but you know what I mean......
Valor Feb 2009: Dina & Marty - again
Grandeur Feb 2008: DTW, Dina & Marty
Inspiration May 26, 2007
Fascination: Feb 2007
Enchantment of Seas: Sept 2006
Imagination (3x)
Radiance of the Seas
Majesty of the Seas
The Big Red Boat
Old March 18th, 2009, 11:01 AM
Admiral

I wonder if that helped the lady with her fear of heights.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old March 18th, 2009, 11:05 AM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to Dave the Wave Send a message via Yahoo to Dave the Wave

Quote:
Originally Posted by katlady
I wonder if that helped the lady with her fear of heights.
I wouldn't think so

Song of America Dec '90
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Old March 18th, 2009, 11:16 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Default WE NEED LEGISLATION TO PROTECT US!!!!!!

I believe Senator Kerry should immediately have a Senate hearing and draft the "Hotel Safety and Drunken Spring Break Safety Act".

For far too long hotels have allowed our drunken Spring Breakers to fall out of windows, have unprotected sex in the rooms and consume illegal substances in their rooms.

I believe that a Federal Marshall should be in EVERY hotel room to protect our children and idiot adults from themselves.

Seriously:

Hotels and resorts are far worse for safety and boorish, drunken behavior than a cruise ship ever was.

Party On Dudes,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old March 18th, 2009, 11:23 AM
First Mate

Oh, and we can have Barney Frank and Chris Dodd on the safety committee too. They seem to know what's best for all of us.
Old March 18th, 2009, 11:24 AM
Admiral

I have spent many spring breaks partying and never fell off of a balcony. I have been in every part of this hotel and have been in that same room he fell from. There is a pool deck below and people have jumped into the pool from those balconies. The ledge that is mentioned is between the first and second floors and would make a hrad landing for sure.

This is Dave the Wave on the pool deck of this hotel circa 1988. That is my tiki hut I sold Panama jack from and I had just finished the belly flop contest with the kids and was handing out the prizes. Yes, I invented the belly flop contest. I have a picture at home I will need to scan of me doing a belly flop on Royal Caribbeans Song of America in 1990.

Song of America Dec '90
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Old March 18th, 2009, 12:08 PM
Captain

Send a message via Yahoo to Pocono Pug

Dang tequila gets ya all the time

Monarch of the Seas 3-92
Celebrity Century 7-96
Dawn Princess 2-97
Enchantment of the Seas 11-98
Rhapsody of the Seas 8-99
CCL Inspiration 8-08, 8-11
CCL Valor 1-09
CCL Glory 11-09
Old March 18th, 2009, 04:55 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default It happens a lot!

http://www.hotel-online.com/News/PR2...conyFalls.html

Hotel Online
News for the Hospitality Executive

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In 2007, Six People Died from Hotel Balcony Falls
in the Myrtle Beach, South Carolina Area
By Kurt Knapek, The Sun News, Myrtle Beach, S.C.McClatchy-Tribune Regional News
Apr. 8, 2008 - A Largo, Fla., woman died Monday morning after falling from a 16th-floor hotel balcony to a roof covering a pool.

Bonnie Hoff, 54, died Monday at the Sands Ocean Club Resort, said Horry County Coroner Robert Edge. She was found by a hotel guest, who alerted hotel security, authorities said. The investigation into what caused her fall continued late Monday.

An autopsy is scheduled for today, Edge said.

With an influx of tourists expected in the coming weeks, authorities realize the likelihood of falls will increase.

In 2007, six people died from hotel-balcony falls in Horry County, Edge said. Two were ruled accidental, the other four suicides. In 2006, two people died from balcony falls and both were considered accidents, he said.

"On average, half of them are real accidents where people are intoxicated and clowning around on the balcony and lean over and lose their balance," said Edge, coroner for the last 20 years. "The other half are intentional situations."

"Everyone in the business is worried about them all of the time," said Lee J. Rawcliffe, chairman of Sands Resorts, which owns the hotel and five other area properties.

"A balcony is an obvious hazard," Rawcliffe said. "It's sort of like a cliff. You look and it's 100 feet down. You should know not to jump off of there."

The coroners in Georgetown County and Brunswick County, N.C., couldn't say how often people fall off balconies during the year. And neither could remember the last person who died in their county as a result of a fall.

Regulations state that balcony railings must be 42 inches high and have no more than four inches of space between the rails, Rawcliffe said.

He said balcony doors must have locks for child safety purposes.

But there are no warning signs on the balconies," he said.

"Some parents don't keep an eye on children, and some youngsters don't pay attention," Rawcliffe said.

The majority of the people who fall from balconies in Myrtle Beach are "careless," according to Capt. David Knipes of the Myrtle Beach Police Department.

"For years and years, they're jumping from the hotel room into the pool or into another room below," Knipes said.

"It's been a lot of kids involved in horseplay."

That was the case when a girl died in July 2006 at the Sands Ocean Club Resort.

In that case, an Ohio girl fell from the seventh floor to the balcony of a vacant room below, according to the Horry County coroner's office.

The girl, 19, and others were drinking in the room.

A gymnast, the girl grabbed on to the railing of the balcony and propped her feet up on the ceiling above, but lost her balance and fell, Rawcliffe said.

"Something went wrong," Rawcliffe said. "She fell to the balcony below, hit her head and lost her life."

In August 2007, a 17-year-old from Gainesville, Ga. fell over the railing of a sixth-floor balcony at the Tropical Winds on Ocean Boulevard, bounced off other balconies, slammed onto a slanted rooftop and fell into the bushes.

He suffered only cuts and bruises.

Horry County police are still investigating Monday's death, according to Sgt. Bob Carr.

It is often difficult to tell the manner of death when a person falls from a balcony, Knipes said.

"If they don't leave a note, it's hard to say what the intent was when the person went over the railing," Knipes said.
Old March 18th, 2009, 04:59 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default And.....

Old March 18th, 2009, 05:00 PM
Admiral

Probably at least as often as people OB.

Song of America Dec '90
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Old March 18th, 2009, 07:04 PM
Passenger

They should have a muster drill for spring break.
Old March 18th, 2009, 07:08 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocono Pug
Dang tequila gets ya all the time
You know it!!

Home is where you park your flip flops

~Robin~

Need some cruise help?

Carnival - Fantasy 1998
RCCL - Majesty of the Sea 2000
Carnival - Inspiration 2009
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014
Old March 18th, 2009, 07:30 PM
Admiral

I have to agree with Mike. I expect any minute an indignant John Kerry and Doris Matsui to announce hearings next week addressing this intolerable condition at the literally millions of multi level structures with balconies that exist across this nation.

If it weren't for the spending of millions of our dollars to initiate and advance legislation such as that yet again being proposed by the above mentioned to bring the cruise industry to heel to them; even the proposal for such a thing would make a huge hit on the Comedy Channel or on Saturday Night Live.

Really, isn't it sad?

Todd
Old March 18th, 2009, 07:42 PM
Admiral

It's a good thing this guy was drunk -- otherwise the fall probably would have killed him.......

Old March 18th, 2009, 10:37 PM
Admiral

Well, it's perfectly obvious there's something wrong when someone grown up enough to be of college age falls off a hotel balcony. Where's congress when needed? Out chasing crime on cruise ships no doubt !! We need OSHA to fully inspect and regulate the balconies--need netting, need warning signs posted inside the rooms, need several signs posted on the balcony rails and of course, need to raise the balcony rails the entire height of the balcony so they're more like jail cells than balconies. Of course too, the rails then would have to be closely spaced so no idiot could force their head through the bars and choke themselves to death. The hotel staff should be made to read a written statement to all guests twice when they check in regarding the dangers of climbing about on the balcony rails. Just a myriad of things the Gov. can do to protect people from themselves.
Or, maybe we should do the common sense thing and let nature cull out the idiots--it usually works better that way.
Old March 19th, 2009, 08:06 AM
Admiral

Update: He is in fair condition in the hospital. Not a hotel guest but met some chics staying there. Must have thought he was going to get lucky. Apparently NOT!

Song of America Dec '90
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Old March 19th, 2009, 08:43 AM
Admiral

One word - Stupid!!! And to think he might get a college degree - scary!!
Old March 19th, 2009, 09:13 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by bahamamomma
One word - Stupid!!! And to think he might get a college degree - scary!!
They now say he was not a college student. Just an older guy preying on young college girls. He was from Joliet, Illinois so what does that tell you?

ST. PETE BEACH He wanted to show a woman afraid of heights that it was safe to lean over a sixth-floor hotel balcony.

Instead, David Senior, 26, of Joliet, Ill., fell four stories onto a second-floor concrete ledge Tuesday night.

Senior survived and was flown to Bayfront Medical Center, where he was in fair condition Wednesday.

The incident happened about 11:15 p.m. at the Grand Plaza Beach Hotel.

St. Pete Beach Fire Department operations commander Tom Malone said Senior is a fortunate man.

"Fall four floors and land on concrete, and live?" he pondered. "Yeah."

Senior was not a registered guest and "not a spring breaker," said James Kotsopoulos, president of Grand Plaza Resorts Inc., but had met the occupants of the room earlier Tuesday and was visiting with a group of women.

"From the conversation we had with people in the room, (Senior) wanted to impress the young ladies," Kotsopoulos said. "One was concerned about the height, so to sort of tease her he leaned back onto the rail and went over."

St. Pete Beach police Deputy Chief Dean Horianopoulos said that scenario was "certainly possible." He collected two differing accounts of what happened from people in Room 612. One had Senior sitting on the rail, facing toward the room and falling backward. The other had him holding onto the rail from the opposite side, falling back and landing outside Room 214.

"This guy is the luckiest guy in the world. There is no doubt about it," Horianopoulos said. "He's very fortunate he was not killed in this."

Horianopoulos said it appeared alcohol was a factor in the fall. Police also confirmed the integrity of the balcony rail.

Hotel guest Lori Hawkins was in a nearby room on the fourth floor when she heard someone yell: "Don't do it, don't do it."

"I heard this big 'Clump!' I didn't think it was something bad, then I looked out the corner of my hotel," she said. "I'm on the fourth floor and I saw this guy lying there and he started moving."

Hotel staff got onto the ledge — 36 feet below the balcony — through a guest room to keep Senior from falling again, Kotsopoulos said.

Hotel vice president of operations Roxann Vasalakis, who was summoned to the hotel after the fall, said the man was speaking to rescuers and trying to crawl.

Kotsopoulos said the company hasn't had a similar incident in 30 years. There were no complaints about activity in the room before the fall, he said.

The Grand Plaza does not resemble the backdrop for spring break tomfoolery. Older guests strolled onto the beach Wednesday morning as clouds gave way to sun, maintenance workers cleaned the sun deck and families dined with small children in the beachside patio restaurant on which the man landed. Guests described the hotel as "conservative" and intolerant of rowdiness.

It was the second time in two days that someone fell from a Florida balcony and survived.

On Monday, a Texas man fell six stories from a beachside condo balcony in Panama City as he was clowning around for friends and was injured. Police said a chair he was standing on slipped from under him and he went over.

Song of America Dec '90
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Old March 22nd, 2009, 12:43 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Phil&Liz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave the Wave
I worked there as the Tanning Consultant and cabana boy
Dude, you have had one fantastic life !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave the Wave
He was from Joliet, Illinois so what does that tell you?
Jake or Elwood ?

Oh, DTW, no speedos in 88 ?

Phil & Liz

The problem with socialism is that you eventually run out of other people's money. Margaret Thatcher

Never take an idiot travelling, you can always pick one up when you get there. Billy Connolly

I Didn't Come here and I ain't Leaving.
Willie Nelson

9/01/2013 Carnival Legend
2/16/2014 BC 7

Bill Murray
20 years ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please don't let Kevin Bacon die.