Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 30th, 2009, 10:24 AM
Admiral

Default New H.A.L."Lanai" Staterooms open to the Promenade

Has anybody here experienced one of the new "Lanai" staterooms that H.A.L. is creating in the changeover of some of their middle-aged ships?

I guess they put sliding glass doors on the cabins that only had windows, that faced out onto the Promenade Deck. Each of these cabins gets two reserved deck chairs right outside their door.

Is this weird having joggers running by your cabin door all day? Is it odd to jog by these cabins with their "renters" sitting on their not-so-private patio? Is this very noisy early in the morning?

I can't decide if this changeover is a good thing or a bad thing or perhaps a bit of both. Any comments would be appreciated. I rather like the Veendam and have stayed in this class of cabin a couple of times prior to the change. Hmmmmmm? Is it worth giving it a try? I'm having trouble imagining how this concept works.

Sponsored Links
Old July 30th, 2009, 07:05 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

On one ship we were on, they had OV cabns with windows that faced the promenade, and they were lower than normal....I remember saying, I was not sure that would make me happy..people going by and waving

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old July 31st, 2009, 02:19 PM
Admiral

Unless you are in a hurry to jump over board I do not see much benefit. It you want any light you have no privacy at all. Other than stepping out for a quick smoke, and I don't smoke I am not sure what they are thinking accept they can charge more for the cabin maybe. What is HAL saying the benefit of this change will be for the people with these rooms? I would be interested in what they are thinking, if someone has read something from HAL please respond. Thanks, Mike
Old July 31st, 2009, 04:31 PM
Admiral

The article I read mentioned the benefit of getting fresh air and being able to go right out to the promenade deck for walkers and joggers, such that they wouldn't need to use stairs or common area prior to their exercise. They also said that the cost would be less than that of a balcony stateroom.
Old August 1st, 2009, 09:40 PM
Admiral

Default LANAI ROOMS

We once had a window on a Promonade Deck and you could not see in, but I felt uncomfortable.. There is no way...I want to open doors directly to the Promenade..who is kidding who...not having to climb the stairs..I like to go out in the middle of the night in my nightgown on the balcony.. These rooms are NOT for me..