Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 28th, 2010, 02:34 PM
Admiral

Cool Do i dare!!!

My newest Conde Naste just listed the best 15 MEGA ships..#1 is the Celebrity Soltice, 2 & 4 are Disney 5 & 6 are Princess --Royal Caribbean is listed 7 times, Princess 4, Cunard and Celebrity once.. In the LARGE category Crystal rates the #1 and #2 spot with Regent and Cunard 3, 4 and 5.. and behind is Holland America with eleven, Celebrity with 4 and Oceania with three and Princess with 2.. DON'T SHOOT THE MESSENGER....thought you'd all be interested whether you think it is an elitest magazine or not..
Sponsored Links
Old January 28th, 2010, 04:27 PM
Admiral

Touche`

Todd
Old January 28th, 2010, 04:41 PM
Admiral

I've sailed most of those, and there's no doubt in my mind that Conde Nasty IS an elitist magazine. That's why I take anything they print with a grain of salt. ;-)

"SKY"
Old January 28th, 2010, 06:22 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I have a free subscription to this, magazine, and, one thing that have going for them is The Ombusman Column....they have gotten to the bottom of many complicated complaints..many cruise related....

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old January 28th, 2010, 06:32 PM
Admiral

Question WHY!!

Since I never expect to cruise Disney, can somebody give me an answer as to why they keep rating high? Sure I'd love to cruise Crystal and Cunard.....when I hit the lottery..lol.. but I think it's interesting that RC comes up well as does Holland America..
Old January 28th, 2010, 06:51 PM
Admiral

I have to agree with both Ken and Trip. Yes the magazine is elitist and yes I do so love the Ombudsman column. What I find frequently amusing is that I often discover the level of mistakes we middle class peons would be expected to make being made by folks successful to the degree that they'd be expected to know better.

Todd
Old January 28th, 2010, 07:25 PM
Admiral

Default Same reaction

This is the same reaction when I posted this list last year..not so much about the ships, but about how "elitist" the magazine was.. Whats wrong with an "elitest magazine"?? You can take what you want from it and dismiss the rest.. but it is a leader in the travel magazine industry. What do you read...Budget Travel"...Yes I love getting travel magazines...so call me an elitist.. They obviously are making lots of $$ with their advertising..
Old January 29th, 2010, 08:39 AM
Admiral

As a matter of fact I do read and prefer Budget Travel. Is your nose in the air yet???

Explorer of the Seas October 2013
Caribbean Princess July 2006, May 2010 & November 2012
Monarch of the Seas November 2008
Crown Princess November 2007
Celebrity Zenith November 2005
Enchantment of the Seas August 2004
Old January 29th, 2010, 09:04 AM
Admiral

Default Magazines

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougR. View Post
As a matter of fact I do read and prefer Budget Travel. Is your nose in the air yet???
Trutfhfully, I glean from four travel magazines Doug... Conde Nate, Cruise Travel, Budget Travel and Travel and Leisure...like to cover all the bases.. The only magazine I don't pass on for more than a year are Budget Travel and the Cruise Travel... okay, so I do keep from Conde the "best of the year"..
Old January 29th, 2010, 06:43 PM
Admiral

I subscribe to them all..I really like Budget Travel because I am on a budget:o
Old January 29th, 2010, 06:48 PM
Admiral

Default Subscribing

Quote:
Originally Posted by venice View Post
I subscribe to them all..I really like Budget Travel because I am on a budget:o
Since we are retired we too are on budgets and really only cruise once a year...although last year was different.. and there is no shame in having Budget Travel... there are lots of hints and between that and the cruise magazines I do have at least a back library.
Old January 29th, 2010, 08:35 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

This is a great educational discussion for me. I never realized you all read so many magazines.

Can I ask of you read our articles, and if you do if you find them helpful? The one we just published today on Crsytal food was written by a veteran writer from Bon Apetit and Fine Dining (both well known food magazines) plus she has done lots of other magazine writing.

I feel most of our articles are as in depth a magazine articles. I personally tend NOT to read magazine articles because by the time I get them they are alreadu "old news" to me, since I have to watch cruise news on a daily basis. But I do enjoy some of the wrap-ups I see.

I do know most of the better known magazine cruise writers. And by the way - Vacations to Go has a GREAT travel magazine, much of it cruise related, and it is free. All you have to is sign up for it.
Old January 29th, 2010, 09:07 PM
Admiral

Default Articles

Yes, I do get the newsletter from "Vacations to Go"... As for Bon Appetit, Paul I have been a subscriber for more y ears than I care to remember, maybe I let it lapse for a short time, but very short. One of my favorite recipes was from their November or December issue.. a chocolate cake with fondant ribbon of dark and white chocolate on top.. it took three of us to make the bows..and it was the hit of a Xmas Party..We even sent them a picture of the cake.. My carrot soup, broccoli soup, butternut squash, apple and cranberry recipe come from there and oh yes, my spinach, strawberry salad.. Still in the recesses of my basement I have bound copies going back to I think the 70's.. I've given many away and now I just keep the Thanksgiving and Xmas issues..and of course some of the yearly books they put out..Gourmet IMO didn't have the following because of the "exotic" ingredients they expected you to have in your kitchen. Nowadays at least on the East Coast my favorite are the Cook's llustrated and their newest one..no ads.. basically a primer for cooking by a man who I have read believes his is the ONLY way.. After all these years of cooking I enjoy coming up with a new recipe..just found one for a vegetarian friend...linguine with lemon sauce. BTW just found an interesting and easy recipe for Mac and Cheese in a magazine called "Cooking Club".. But, back to travel magazines..guess I forgot to add that I love the National Geographic Traveler too.. Sometimes you skim through the travel magazines, but often I notice something hits your eye.. especially in the cruise magazine, even Parrot Pop eagerly reads that much to my amusement.. I should hope that travelers b e they land or cruise do some reason and have subscriptions to several magazines.. and support them. Besde the other usual..I get ...This Old House..that I skim through, but I have a personal interest in one of the people.

Last edited by Parrot Mom; January 29th, 2010 at 09:22 PM.
Old January 30th, 2010, 07:10 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by skymaster View Post
I've sailed most of those, and there's no doubt in my mind that Conde Nasty IS an elitist magazine. That's why I take anything they print with a grain of salt. ;-)

"SKY"
Sky, I Could not agree more about taking any cruise rankings of ships with a huge grain of salt. If you are looking to find your favorite cruise line ranked at or near the top, all you have to do is just look around and you will find a cruise magazine that will probably do just that!

Many of those who do respond to these so-called polls are no doubt the same exact people giving the same exact high rankings, based of their memories of cruises long ago, to their favorite cruise line.

A couple of years ago, I remember reading a post from someone who cancelled his subscription to a cruise magazine because his favorite ship was not rated as high as he thought they should be. Go figure!!!!!

I remember a ship whose name I will not mention, that had been sailing for several years in really in very poor condition with fogged windows for more than five years in the observation lounge, rough unfinished wood surrounding the pool area, warn and stained furniture, stained sinks, hot tubs that only worked occasionally and a retractable pool roof that had remained stuck for five years. Even with all these faults this ship was ranked number eight in the world by the readers of Conde Nast. For me, that one ended any confidence that I would have in Conde Nast or any cruise magazine poll.

While there no doubt may be some useful articles in some cruise magazines, my opinion is that these polls are only of use for advertising campaigns by cruise lines that advertise a lot in a particular magazine and get high results from the readers in polls for their ships.

I must fall far short of elitist status, because I don't read or put a lot of faith in any of them.

Debra

Winston Churchill

email: debra2106@yahoo.com
Old January 30th, 2010, 08:41 PM
Admiral

Default Same reaction

Isn't it funny, the same people "dis" Conde Naste this year as last.. Now, National Georgraphic Traveler (guess some might call me an elitist)..rate the Worlds Great Destinations... and unless you've read the magazine none of you will guess. It is a destination I hope go to next year before the rest of the cruise industry decides its "the" destination their people want to see, No. 5 is in the US and because cruise ships and cruisers havent' added it to their bucket lists remains unspoiled and doens't have a port Thank G-d Just out of curiousity.... why are posters to this question so NEGATIVE. (usually the same ones if I go back a year). for opinions not their own by a well respected travel magazine..Are you all smarter or are YOU the ones with the elitest attitude of only YOU know what is right.. I'm serious ....all of you

Last edited by Parrot Mom; January 30th, 2010 at 08:57 PM.
Old January 30th, 2010, 11:58 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

The reason Im so "negative" is because I have been watching these surveys for years and I can tell you without a doubt the same cruise line win the same contests year after year.

CARNIVAL wins the "best cruise line" award from Porthole year after year. Why?

I also happen to think the concept of "best" is a joke. Best for what? I am very fortunate to have sailed on almost every cruise line, and while one may be best in food or service, the same ship can have a few bad room stewards and you get lousy service.

A cruise line that is best in food may be worst in shore excursions. Is it best at what price? Carnival is the best cruise line for under $100/day balcony, if you like pool games and r-rated comedy shows. But if you like cabin amenities like big TVs, lots of stations, hair dryers, frgarant soaps, etc then you would like Celebrity better.

NCL is best if you like many dining choices. RCL is best if you like cool, state of thre art mega-ships.

Star Clippers is best if you like sailing vessels, Oceania is best if you like destination-oriented cruising.

Disney is best if you need great children's programs.

There is a tremendous amount of variety out there and that is a good thing. i don't see the need for contests, really. Its all objective - there is no best cruise ship.
Old January 31st, 2010, 12:18 AM
Admiral

Don't have it in front of me, but I believe each ship was rated according to those criteria, food, service, entertainment, etc. Paul, since I don't ever expect to cruise Disney I'm still curious as to why they keep coming out highly rated.. is it the Disney service, food, entertainment...I'm very curious..
Old January 31st, 2010, 12:45 PM
Captain

Paul, You are absolutely right when you said the "best" in all of those polls is nothing more than a joke. I feel there is no such thing as a best poll, just there is no such thing as a best cruise ship or best cruise line. In the end, it always comes down to individual preferences.

All of those so-called polls can be heavily swayed by the type of questions asked. In addition to the same people voting for the same ships year after year, the inclusion or exclusion of questions such as "rate the best past passenger program", "rate the ships reliability" or "rate the customer service" or "rate the welcome aboard process" would skew the results of the poll.

Having sailed on many cruise lines, I guess that I would add Princess to your list of cruise lines, for those looking for a consistently good cruising experience on reliable well maintained ships.

Debra

Winston Churchill

email: debra2106@yahoo.com

Last edited by Nurse Debra; January 31st, 2010 at 12:57 PM.
Old February 1st, 2010, 11:11 AM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to richsea

I agree that the polls published in the various travel magazines leave much to be desired. I saw a Porthole Magazine poll form that was so convoluted, no one could have filled it out accurately even if they tried! I would guess that many just picked what they PERCEIVED was right for a particular line or ship. I must say, that I agree with Nurse Debra (now THERE'S a first!), in the end, it always comes down to individual preferences.

I would say that I find the most helpful poll, although it's really not a poll, are the "rate your ship" polls on Cruisemates. I like them because they reflect what people think about the ships they have sailed, & while everyone's lies & dislikes may differ, the fact that the opinions are form so many people give you a good idea on the different aspects of a particular ship.

Oh, & I also think that Conde Nast is kind of an elitist magazine, & trying to wade through page after page of advertisements for products that I'll never be able to afford just became too much for me & I finally let my subscription expire.
Old February 1st, 2010, 01:39 PM
Cruise Maniac

Just like a restaurant or movie review, I always take these lists with a grain of salt, especially something as subjective as selecting a "best" cruise line or a "best" ship. Sure, I may or may not read these reviews and lists but the only review or list that matters to me is my own and what I think is the "best" to me.

If my favorite ship or line isn't mentioned, my feelings won't be hurt, and I certainly wouldn't stop cruising that line because it didn't make some list or someone online had a bad experience.

For every person that wouldn't take these list seriously, there will be someone that does. They might not be sure what ship or line to go on, or maybe they are on the fence between 3 of them. They find these lists and decide to go on the one that got the highest rating.
Old February 1st, 2010, 01:46 PM
Admiral

Default Taking the lists seriously

Frankly, I take them with a grain of salt myself..but I alway find it interesting, Of course I also note the very $$$$ are usually leading the lists..