Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 24th, 2010, 08:05 AM
Admiral

Default Super Saturday!

Morning Mates, from a partly sunny/partly cloudy Pictou County, with an early morning temp of 18C (64F), and a pleasant day expected in the 20's, or 70's F. Much more bearable than the past few weeks!

Not sure what we're up to today, probably some more exploring, then tonight is the monthly trivia night at the pub. In the summer, they only have it once a month, so we really look forward to it! Such a neat place, right on the waterfront with a big wide porch, and on hot summer evenings we go there just to sit and watch the people go by, the boats in the harbour, and have a nice pot of tea. They are dog-friendly too, so our pooch comes along and greets everyone who enters, and the owners always bring her a plate with a dog biscuit topped in whipped cream! Such service! They'd make a good cruiseline!

Wishing you all a great start to your weekend, take some time to relax and enjoy it!

donna

p.s. Todd, I read your last post from yesterday and have to tell you I've read that article by Dave Barry and it is one of the funniest I've ever read, even though it's such a serious subject!
I've endured a few colonoscopies myself, so I can appreciate the humour!

Last edited by rollerdonna; July 24th, 2010 at 08:08 AM. Reason: add-on
Sponsored Links
Old July 24th, 2010, 08:49 AM
Admiral

Good morning Rollerdonna and all of our Cruisemates who follow.

I figured a lot of folks had read that piece by Barry but I'm sure most who haven't and discover it as a result of the post, will find it funny as well.

I need not tell everyone how hot it's going to be today because it appears that most of the country is in the same boat. Actually, around here the mid to upper nineties have occurred so frequently this summer, that it's getting to be almost routine. I have to admit, however, that the hottest I've personally felt has been in more northern climes. One summer day when I lived in Hyde Park, NY in the mid Hudson Valley, the temperature rose if I remember correctly to 106 F and the other time was when we were vacationing in Niagara Falls, Canada and while I don't recall the actual temp, it nevertheless was so hot as to be unbelievably oppressive.

Wanted you to know Judy that Fran and I are praying for good results on your MRI and we're anxiously awaiting with you, the results. Also hope Keith is feeling better today.

I think, Trip, that is a magnificent idea to open your own on-line business. Please keep us informed as things develop.

Henry, did you get to the Coldstone Creamery yesterday? Hope you had a wonderful birthday. There is nothing better than ice cream on a hot summer day.........or on a cold winter one as well. :-) BTW, your 'grand dog" is precious.

Sure hope the good news is continuing with Beenie Weenie's MIL. B/W sounded up beat about heading North.

Also am wondering if Jim and Luanne ever made it to Wisconsin. Flying out of your own small regional airport can have distinct advantages...especially when it comes to luggage and other personal belongings that are left for any reason.

TravelMike, I've never been to California (would love to go someday, especially to northern California) but I guess from the old movies, everytime I think of San Francisco , I envision a guy walking in a deep fog along the waterfront.

Nothing of note on tap for the weekend. I'll of course be ensconced in my recliner in front of the TV this evening and tomorrow for the two NASCAR races from Indianapolis.

I'll try and remember to update Fran's thread this weekend but suffiice it to say, overall she is still doing well.

Here's wishing everyone a wonderful weekend and that each of you remain "cool" throughout!

Todd
Old July 24th, 2010, 10:50 AM
Admiral

Good morning from sunny but hot NY where it may hit 107 .

Today is my birthday and my daughters are having a barbecue birthday party for me this afternoon /evening
Old July 24th, 2010, 10:56 AM
Admiral

Default Super Saturday!

Good morning, everybody, and happy birthday, Henry!

Todd, the Dave Barry piece was so funny! I'm glad to hear, too, that Fran is doing well.
Donna, that restaurant sounds great, especially since even Emma can go with you.

Keith says he feels fine today. He's getting ready to go to Flabob and work on the Wright Flyer Project, which means that I'd better get breakfast started.

Judy
Old July 24th, 2010, 11:02 AM
Captain

Another hot day here in Ohio with this to be one of the hottest we've had so far. At least the rain is holding off so the poor folks who were flooded last weekend can begin clean up. I feel so sorry for these folks in eastern Ky. they have been hit twice with flooding since May. With the hot temps I can't imagine trying to dig out from all the distruction.

We are camping and dancing again this weekend even with these temps. Thank goodness we have a new A/C unit that is keeping it cool inside. When I get to hot outdoors I can just come in and cool off. Hubby left early this morning for a game of golf. I just don't see how it can be fun to play in this heat and humidity. I walked the dog around the camnpground around 9:45 am and felt like I'd been in a shower when I got back. I needed a shower!

Todd, the article was a hoot! My parents loved to read Dave Berry's work. Dad always said that he spoke the truth in humor. Glad that Fran is still doing good, hope she continues to improve. I won't be able to watch the race tonight but I have my Siruis radio so I will be able to keep up with it. We should be home tomorrow in time to see most of the race on TV. This is the best way to see the Indy race. We were there for the 2nd Nascar race and you sure can't see much of the racing due to the size of the track. Thank goodness for the big screens they have set up so you can see what is going on. We decided then that watching it on TV at home was the best and cheapest way to go.

RD, have a great time this evening and hope you come away the big winners!

Everyone have a great day and stay cool.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old July 24th, 2010, 11:39 AM
Admiral

Sue,
As I pointed out in an earlier post, I am so excited about visiting Indianapolis next month after we leave Cleveland. I've the itinerary pretty set up. Included is a visit with Miss DJ and Mr. Tom (Carnegie) who was "The Voice of the Indianapolis 500" for 60 years. Miss DJ made me feel so good when as I was talking to her on the phone a few days ago she told me she felt as if another son was coming home.

With the internet, I've had so much fun looking up sites which still exist (in one form or another) when I lived there as a little boy. I can't believe I even found a restaurant, "The Iron Skillet" to which the family used to go and to which my late twin and I "took" our Mother (I think we each had three bucks in our little plastic wallets) when we were around eight I'd guess. I used to love their fried chicken. Turned out it's still there, with the same menu and the same recipes as when I was last there! But oh boy, the prices sure aren't! The last time we were there I think the skillet fried chicken dinner was around $3.50. It's now $18.50! Funny how as you get old you can't remember what happened fifteen minutes ago but you remember details of inconsequential incidents from 55 years ago.
Old July 24th, 2010, 12:00 PM
Admiral

HOT HOT HOT !

It's getting so hot here that we need to go on a Carbbean cruise to cool off.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old July 24th, 2010, 12:19 PM
Admiral

Good Morning Mates, still over cast this morning, should burn off in another hour. Todd DH, It sounds like you are a fan of the Maltese Falcon, When you make it to San Francisco have lunch or dinner at John's Grill on Ellis street downtown. John's grill is referenced in the book and is referred to as the home of the Maltese Falcon, loads of pictures and a statue of the Falcon. Carole and I have been there several times and the food is good. Have a great day all, Mike
Old July 24th, 2010, 01:04 PM
Admiral

Cool OUTSIDE OF BOSTON-Hot and Oppressive

Hot and oppressively humid.no sun and you just know thunder showers will be here today or tomorrow..It must of poured last night as I found a dish on my deck with at lest 1/2" of water. Had to clean out a bird cage on our deck for a boarding bird and couldn't wait to come back in the house Fortunately we have central air.. and I intend to hide out for the rest of the afternoon.. Just called in our payment for our cruise in October...that;s the good news..