Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 26th, 2010, 05:38 AM
Admiral

Default Get Outta' that rack, I'ts Monday!

Sorry Rollerdonna, decided since I was up, I'd open the day only because of late, I've been posting so late. Figured if I didn't get it done this morning, it would again be this evening 'afore I got around to it.

Another warm and humid day on tap but not quite so hot....or so the weather soothsayers relate.

Off for early voting (Primary) in about two and a half hours and then it's off to the Animal Adoption Center.

Hope all who are ailing are feeling better and those who had tests get good results.

Fran continues to do well except for extreme fatigue. I jump in and so as much as I can so she can rest as much as possible. Although I'm no housekeeper, at least I manage to keep the Health Department away!

Mike, When it comes to heat pumps, I'm praying ours continues with no problems. It's fourteen years old now and has been running 99 percent of the time for weeks now. But by gosh, it's been superbly comfortable this year again ... yet thus far at any rate And we do change filters religiously. Hope you get yours fixed before you start withering up there in Minnesota whereat I think few really understand that it can get hot indeed up there. At least from Indiana northward it looks as if it's not only going to be a bit cooler but few if any heavy rain areas are predicted (at least as of yesterday evening. But as we all know, the weather people are sadistic liers!!

Hope all who were ailing or the weekend are better this morning and that your temp has started downward, Mike.

I don't recall your posting whether or not you took you sojourn to the Creamery Friday night. Hope you had a wonderful birthday celebration!

Prayers of course for all 'o you'uns on an ever growing list accompanied by a request for Blessings upon everyone.

Todd
Sponsored Links
Old July 26th, 2010, 08:05 AM
Admiral

Well thank You Todd, for getting everyone up and at 'em on a Monday morning! What a great start to our week!

It is sunny, but cool here in Pictou County, looking at maybe 21C or 70ish F later today, fine with me! No more melting in the humidity!

Mike, I read you ad-on yesterday about your air conditioner. R.I.P. Snakey...
That was a good story, and I'm glad your AC is now working fine!
And Mike, hope you're feeling less "feverish and crappy" today....be well!

Todd, you may not be Susie Homemaker, but I'm sure Fran appreciates all you do for her so she can rest and feel better too....

Well, today is a big day for me, I have a job interview this afternoon!
It's been a long wait between jobs, and a difficult search, but I am confident I am the person for the job, so I hope they do too!

donna
Old July 26th, 2010, 08:58 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Hi Kids,
The temps are a bit cooler today as well as the humidity, good job, Mother Nature, we needed a respite! Yesterday wihile the temps was still on char broil, we went to a flea market,and this shopper knew it was a dud....but,we did end up with a pretty white carriage, with a dolll and some clothes for Lucy, though

On the way home we stopped at a supermarket, we were a few towns away from home,and it was a store we had never gone in, so we stopped. This store was so crowded it was unreal,and we wondered, huh?? Once we started picking up some things, and saw the prices, we knew why...like a 2 lb. plus center cut pork roast for under $5.00...the priices just continued to surprise us...I know areas have different pricing structures but geesh..I want these prices!

Later I am off to take my granddaughter to the Drs..she has gall stones and, we will find out the best way to proceed to get rid of them for her.

Today, in 1956, the Andria Doria sunk, I was celebrating my 8th birthday. Who knew many years later, my life would still include cruise ships!

Make it a good one. RD good luck today!

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old July 26th, 2010, 09:09 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Good morning everyone:

It's going to be a hot one today. I'm glad that my air conditioner problem is resolved. It turns out that a snake somehow crawled inside the condenser and got wrapped up in the fan and the shaft. My son pulled the cover off the unit to see what type of fan motor we needed to order and saw the carnage. Enough of the snakes remnants wrapped around the shaft to stop it. After a little clean up and "parts" removal it's working like new. We had a short service for "Snakey". The eulogy was "Ohhh Gross!!"

At 10:00 I have a doctor's appointment to see what's going on with this fever. Last night at 1:00 a.m. it was 101.8 but this morning it's 99.4. So that's a good thing. The problem will be that I go to the doctor and he can't find anything.

I hope everyone has a great Monday and wonderful week.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old July 26th, 2010, 09:46 AM
Admiral

Good Morning CruiseMates!
Well it really is a good morning! The sun is shining after a long weekend of travel and after a good nights sleep in my own bed. I got home about 10:30 last night and was greeted by the kiddos, my sis and d/h. They were all hanging out here watching movies and waiting for me to come home.

I left Sarnia at about 2:45 yesterday thinking that would be more than enough time to catch a 7:15 flight in Detroit... I was nearly mistaken. I checked with d/h's aunt who lives in a condo that has a terrific view of the bridge that you have to cross to get back into the U.S. and she said that traffic was backed up for miles, which equates to at least a couple of hours or more of waiting. So I headed down along the edge of the St. Claire River to a sleepy little town called Sombra and the line was shorter than I had ever seen it and within an hour and a half from when I left Sarnia, I was on the ferry crossing the river (this is my favorite way to cross the border, but it only works if you want to head to Detroit and makes sense when the bridge traffic is congested). The river was a beautiful shade of blue and they were running boat races. I wished I could stop and spend a couple of days but it would not have been any fun without the kids and d/h along.
I got off the ferry in Marine City, MI and headed down the back roads to find I-94 about 30 minutes later I found it and put the pedal to the metal.I knew I would be cutting it close. Of course the renatal car needed to be gassed up and for some reason they do not have any public bathrooms near the ferry, so the minute I get there and you hear and see water everywhere, of course that is when nature calls. So I try to keep my mind off of it and I can wait no more. I am about 20 miles from the airport and see a gas station off the Interstate, so I exit and by the time I realize I am in a very dodgy area of Detroit (I have yet to see too many areas of Detroit that aren't Dodgy, after all it is the murder capitol of the U.S.).

To put it mildly...my teeth were floating, I could wait no longer. I jumped out of the car and ran into the scary gas station, that had a long line of scary people waiting to pay for bullets or something... I just kept running and figured it would be harder to hit a moving target. Anyhow I found my way to the bathroom, which surprisingly was quite clean, but it had a sign on the door saying it was out of order... well "holding it" was not an option at this point so I started telling myself, this is a trick to keep the riff raff out and keep the bathroom nice and clean for the non riff raff clientele. So I check out the toilet and it appears to be in working order. The sink ran hot and cold water and there was soap and paper towels. So I could wait no longer and did what had to be done. Fortunately, everything functioned as it should and the toilet did not explode. So I ran back out to the pump and swiped my credit card, to commence filling up the rental car, well the screen says "see attendant" so I go back in and the guy was clueless how to authorize the pump to fill it up and then charge the card. Eventually I filled it up and was back on the road. As I pulled away I realized he had only charged me $21.23 but I had pumped $21.73. I hope God forgives me, but I was not risking my life and running back in there to give the guy another 50 cents... I figured my luck was about to run out. I may drop it in the mail today to eliviate my guilty conscious.

I finally get to the rental car place and drop off the car. Soon thereafter the shuttle bus driver shows up to take us to the Terminal. By the time he drops me off I have 40 minutes until my flight is scheduled to take off. I head through the security line and of course they confiscated my bottle of Fuse I had thrown into my bag and forgotten. I now have 25 minutes til departure time and look at the screens to see my gate is on the far end of the terminal. So I go up the escalator and hop on the tram which speeds me down there. I finally get to the gate...and of course the dang plane isn't even there yet. So I pop across to Popeye's and get some shrimp and biscuits. I return to the gate and I am sitting there stuffing my pie hole, thinking to myself how nice it will be to return to my nice little Norman Rockwell town and see familiar, friendly faces smiling at me. I looked up and see a lady sitting with her family and think wow she really looks like my friend Deena. Her Mother worked with me years ago and I went to High School with her Sister. They had all joined us 4 or 5 years ago on the Liberty's first Caribbean sailing. Then after noticing my friends look alike I started looking at all of this ladies family members and realize I knew them all, they were my friends from home woohoo!!!! We sat and visited, they had just returned from another cruise and were on their way home on the same flight. That was a welcome surprise.

The flight back to Indy was quick and uneventful. I arrived as the sun was starting to set and the shuttle was waiting to take me to my vehicle. I got home about 10:30 to find my sis, d/h and the kids waiting up for me. All I can say is that it is so nice to be home.

My Mother in law is doing very well. The physical therapists are going to kick rehab up a notch today and I have no doubt she will be very tired tonight. I was thrilled to see so much of her strength returning. She has a long way to go, but I am optimistic and encouraged.

I think d/h will be heading up there this next weekend to visit. He has had a long couple of weeks working down in Bloomington which involves 4-5 hours of drive time every day. So heading up to Canada was not possible until those classes were done.

Life is good, we have much to celebrate and be thankful for!

I hope you all have a great week. Prayers for you guys who are in need. Todd, Fran and Judy, you guys are in my thoughts and my prayers!

Read and post cruise reviews
Old July 26th, 2010, 10:08 AM
Admiral

I have every confidence you'll get the job, RD!

Trip, I remember as a nine year old reading all about the sinking of the Andrea Doria in Life Magazine. Happy birthday!

Hope they don't come after you Mike, for Animal Abuse in the Second Degree! I'm sure the Doc will find the cause of your fever and that you'll quickly conquer that problem ... in time to for your next reptile hunt!

Now if that had been me at my age Beenie Weenie, I'd have had to stand at the rear of the Ferry! But then again, maybe I'd already have been dead from a heart attack worrying about missing the plane.

Todd
Old July 26th, 2010, 10:33 AM
Admiral

Good morning from hot and sunny NY .I am waiting to get the results of the 3 biopsies from last week ,a lot of anxiety because of my past medical problems .
Old July 26th, 2010, 11:01 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Good Morning cruisemates! It seems we may actually be having summer lasting longer than a day. Forecast is for continuing great weather, with temps in the 80s.

Had a busy weekend, but no big plans for today. Have to write my Blog for this week, and will try and get out a review of the Nieuw Amsterdam too.

Also have to find a piece of paperwork that I had, and have misplaced. Know I had it, so it's in the house... so I'm going to have my own treasure hunt to find it I guess.
Old July 26th, 2010, 11:51 AM
Admiral

Default Get Outta that' Rack, It's Monday

Good morning from a thankfully overcast SoCal. Nice n' cool til the marine layer burns off.

Mike, this seems to be the summer of critters. A friend of mine has three greyhounds. They let possums in through the doggy door. This time, they brought in the "visitor" while my friend was on vacation. She had to call Animal Control plus have the carpet shampooed. Another occasion, the possum ran under the bed and Animal Control had to fish it out.

I received an e-mail informing me that a friend and high school classmate has been diagnosed with a disease that only four other people in Minnesota have. She lives in a care facility and is wheel chair-bound. The Mayo Clinic has offered to see her on their dime. She is going there in September.

BW, cheers for your MIL. Glad you made it home safely.

Have a good day, people.

Judy