Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 17th, 2010, 10:45 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo
Default Pat Downs, and Touchy Stuff

I keep hearing about all the new TSA stuff going on at the airports. If you watch the news, I am sure you have heard about it too.

So what do you think?

I don't have a problem with it. Maybe because I lived in Germany for so many years, and am use to the heavy pat downs. The full body scans don't bother me either, as long as I don't hear laughing going on behind the screen.

So, what is your opinion?
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Sponsored Links
Old November 17th, 2010, 11:08 AM
Admiral

Luanne, I have never been subjected to a pat down, so not sure how I would/will react to it. Regarding the full body scan, I'm with you. As long as I don't hear snickering on the other side, I'll be o.k. Even with the shape I'm in, I'm sure there have been many others scanned, who were in the same shap I'm in!

I reckon if we choose to fly, we will have to deal with it.
Mariner of the Seas

HAL Statendam Alaska Cruise Tour - 09/09/12; Disney Magic - 12/01/12; Allure of the Seas - 05/26/13
Old November 17th, 2010, 11:21 AM
Admiral

I have been subjected to a pat down a couple of times.
I think that safety is the most important issue.

As for the full body scan, I don't mind at all, even If I hear snickering.

We have to get real and do what needs to be done to keep our planes flying and getting us to our destinations without any mis-haps.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old November 17th, 2010, 11:25 AM
Admiral

I'm opting for the body scan ,hopefully the radiation will have no effect .Its interesting that the flight crew is not subject to this .
Old November 17th, 2010, 11:26 AM
Administrator
Admiral

I could care less. I have a pacemaker so I need to have the pat down rather than go through the scanner. In my last two trips the "new" pat down procedures were in effect. The main differences were that they now use the inside of their hands and they go right up to the groin.

I always thought the previous pat down procedures were not thorough. You could do the old "crotch it" trick that we used to smuggle a small bottle or other substance into a concert and get buy with no problem. Now it isn't as easy. They also use a new pair of gloves for each pat down and then test them for explosive residue.

I really don't understand the outcry that is going on. I think the "Don't Touch My Junk" guy probably got a little aroused and confused during the procedure and is lashing out.

In regard to the scanner: If someone wants to see the enhanced x-ray image of a bald fat guy then go for it. Just as long as they catch the explosives that someone has in their crotch or stuffed in their bra.

I am all for individual rights but if you want to get on an airplane, that is extremely vulnerable to explosives, then you need to be electronically or bodily searched.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old November 17th, 2010, 12:04 PM
Admiral

One thing that I wondering about....

Do all passengers go through the scanner/get the pat down, or just those randomly selected? If the more thorough process is random, and the routine is still to just pass through the metal detector, so much for effectiveness!
Mariner of the Seas

HAL Statendam Alaska Cruise Tour - 09/09/12; Disney Magic - 12/01/12; Allure of the Seas - 05/26/13
Old November 17th, 2010, 12:31 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

As I understand it, once all the scanners are installed, you will either do it, or the pat down.

Pliots and flight attendants unions are asking people to turn down the scanner during Thanksgiving in protest of the scan, in order to back the lines up during heavy traffic times. You would think they would want people to be scanned.

C.A.R.E a muslim organization has filed suit trying to stop both. It says it volates the religion.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old November 17th, 2010, 12:31 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by ready2gonow View Post
One thing that I wondering about....

Do all passengers go through the scanner/get the pat down, or just those randomly selected? If the more thorough process is random, and the routine is still to just pass through the metal detector, so much for effectiveness!
I transited US airports four times so far this year. I have metal plates in my left arm. No alarm was triggered by the scanner. No pat down either. Compared to procedures in Europe and India - a breeze, I was surprised.
Old November 17th, 2010, 12:43 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

I flew into the US from Canada on Monday. Airport there does have the full body scanner, and the last few times I've flown I've been directed to the line for scanning or pat down (your choice).

There though they do have two lines where neither is necessary; just the X ray of carry-ons. A screener choses, and tells you which line you are designated to. So, there at least, they are doing "random selection", as opposed to everyone. It appears they are doing about a 60% random sampling.

If it speeds the process, and keeps flying safe, they can scan me as much as they like. And I'm not against the pat down, other than it slows the process.

A commentator/comedian, Andy Borowitz, wrote ... don't understand all those people complaining that airport security invades their privacy, but post the details of their entire private life on Facebook
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old November 17th, 2010, 01:15 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

Last week I had neither pat down nor scan in either Austin or FLL. Just the old fashion metal detector.

I don't have a problem with either, but I can see why some would. I fly so rarely I'm not going to concern myself with it too much.

Once my Glory B2B is over I think I'll stick closer to home. Just more cruising from Galveston for me especially with all the new ships coming.

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old November 17th, 2010, 04:36 PM
Admiral

For some reason I always beep so I wind up getting a pat down. I have no problem with the pat down but Iím a little on the fence when it comes to the body scan. If you fly for business or are a flight crew, thatís a lot of radiation over time. They say itís a very low dose but i'm not too sure if I believe them. Some reports conflict on the amounts of radiation and it also depends on what type of scanner the airport is using, there are different types. When I flew in August I did go through the scanner as OíHare airport was one of the first to use them. An expert was asked if the underwear bomber had gone through the new pat down would it have been detected. He answered ďmore than likely notĒ I still think Iíll stick to the pat down until Iím forced to do the scan.

Home is where you park your flip flops

~Robin~

Need some cruise help?

Carnival - Fantasy 1998
RCCL - Majesty of the Sea 2000
Carnival - Inspiration 2009
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014
Old November 17th, 2010, 05:10 PM
Admiral

Peoples religion or beliefs are secondary to security, they are after all a matter of choice, as is getting on a plane.
Old November 17th, 2010, 06:02 PM
First Mate

If you have nothing to hide, you have nothing to fear!!!!!!
Old November 17th, 2010, 06:08 PM
Admiral

I recall the thread somewhere suggesting that anyone suspected of carrying explosives should be put in a blast proof room & subjected to a signal or impulse that detonates bombs....muffled boom ...announcement ''anyone on standby for flight XYZ ...''
Old November 17th, 2010, 06:35 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to MrPete

It goes too far, and I will not be happy till it's abolished.

And NO WAY will I allow my child to experience it either.

The terrorists are laughing at us, already planning their next method, while we are merely taking care of their past methods.

And when the next kamikaze sticks the stuff up their butt or other orifice, and chooses the PAT DOWN LINE, how many will be willing to bend over, literally, for the TSA?
Past Cruises: Explorer of the Seas 2008 Explorer of the Seas 2007 Carnival Victory 2007 Explorer of the Seas 2006 Legend 2005 Miracle 2004 Disney Wonder 2004; Pride 2003 Legend 2002 Disney Wonder 2002 Destiny 2001 Victory 2000 Triumph 1999 Jubilee 1998 Imagination 1997 Imagination 1996 Fascination 1995 Ecstasy 1993 Fantasy 1990 Jubilee 1990 NCL Seaward 1989 Jubilee 1988
Old November 17th, 2010, 07:18 PM
Captain

It's about freedom and Liberty, neither of which I will give away for security reasons. Like Ben Franklin said.....He who gives up liberty for security deserves neither!

They will never body scan me or pat me down like a criminal!

Carribean Princess 07
Carnival Valor 08
Carnival Holiday 08
Carnival Triumph 09
Island Princess 09
Carnival Miracle 10
Norwegian Pearl 11
Norwegian Sun 13
Independence of the Seas Feb 14
Carnival Splendor Feb 15
Old November 17th, 2010, 07:39 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

I thinl I would opt for the scan. If it comes to where I have to have the pat down then so be it..

Laura
ďTwenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didnít do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.ď
---Mark Twain

Old November 17th, 2010, 08:01 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truck Cruiser View Post
It's about freedom and Liberty, neither of which I will give away for security reasons. Like Ben Franklin said.....He who gives up liberty for security deserves neither!

They will never body scan me or pat me down like a criminal!
Then you won't be flying.

~Robin~

Need some cruise help?

Carnival - Fantasy 1998
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014
Old November 17th, 2010, 08:55 PM
Admiral

To each his / her own but I can't get this " it's all about freedom and liberty stuff and they're not touching me or my child "--- the terrorists don't give a damn about anyone's freedom or liberty or about your precious children--their objective is to kill people by any means possible and to garner all the publicity they can for doing so. Therefore, bringing down a plane full of people is instantly flashed all over the world--scoring a home run for the terrorists--they couldn't care less about how many kids were on the plane.
They only have to be right once in thousands of tries. We have to be 100 % right ALL the time or we lose.
If people don't want to be scanned, take the greyhound. If they don't want to be touched, take the greyhound. When I fly, which I do every few months, I want to be damn sure some nut isn't on the plane with me with an underwear or bra full of plastic explosives to blow us all up.The average person flies so little in this country that the amount of radiation they absorb in a body scan is not enough to make you glow in the dark, give you horrible growths, etc. People so concerned about their health in a body scan will undoubtedly stop at a fast food joint and scarf down a Big Mac, large fries and large coke while in the airport between flights-- that's really being health conscious!!
Face it--the world has changed. If you want to be safe, then you need to change with it.If you can't abide by the safety rules implemented for the benefit of the majority of people, then don't create a stink--just stay the heck home or ride the bus. Don't create problems for the vast majority that want to protect themselves and their families by abiding by the new laws and rules.
I have nothing to hide and don't care if they pat me down, pat me up , over or under. I know I'm ok--But I don't know about the guy behind me-- therefore , he needs to be patted and scanned too.
Do you think someone's going to show up an airport with a large sign saying " I'm a terrorist and will blow your plane up if you let me on?"
Hardly--so, what do you do--you treat everyone the same and save all the lives you can by using the new rules.
Get with it or get on the bus, Gus!
Old November 17th, 2010, 09:10 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

In the past 2 1/2 weeks, I have flown 4 times...I have only gone through the scanner..no pat downs or scan.

For the Epic cruise, we had our carry on searched...seems they could not figure out what the suit case scale was.

I also had a pair of tweers in my bag, no problem with that now I guess.
On the ship this morning I saw an interview with a woman, claiming, sexual molestation, because of the pat down she had...she wants the person fired!

Gimme a break!

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old November 17th, 2010, 09:48 PM
Admiral

it will be like everything else in the travel game.there will be a huge uproar at first...lots of protest and charges of harassment towards the TSA folks..then it will calm down and become part of the normal travel process..

I have not flown to Israel ...what is their national airline doing in terms of passenger security these days ? they don't get alot of passenger complaints about their proceedures
Old November 17th, 2010, 09:51 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnthed0g View Post
I recall the thread somewhere suggesting that anyone suspected of carrying explosives should be put in a blast proof room & subjected to a signal or impulse that detonates bombs....muffled boom ...announcement ''anyone on standby for flight XYZ ...''
I likey!

Unfortunately it won't help us with the box cutters and other paraphanalia they can smuggle on board these days.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old November 17th, 2010, 10:12 PM
Admiral

I am not that sensitive about the pat downs.

They can pat me all they want, everything I have has been touched before.

Keep flying safe so we all can live to fly again.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Old November 17th, 2010, 10:24 PM
Admiral

I've had pat downs on flights but if required I will opt for the body scan.
Old November 17th, 2010, 11:43 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luanne Russo View Post
C.A.R.E a muslim organization has filed suit trying to stop both. It says it volates the religion.
I'll give odds they win or some 'exception' will be made.

Valor 2008
Triumph 2006
Fantasy 2004
Pride 2002
Imperial Maj 2001
Carnivalle 1994
Couple forgotten
Old November 18th, 2010, 02:42 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_G View Post
I'll give odds they win or some 'exception' will be made.
If they do then the rest of us should sue.

If it violates their religion, they should stop flying.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Old November 18th, 2010, 05:52 AM
Admiral

Anyone who thinks that a bit of personal embarrassment is worse than a whole plane load of people being blown to bits plus whatever devastation on the gound is an IDIOT!
Old November 18th, 2010, 02:08 PM
Admiral

Like I posted I have no problem being patted down, I do however am not fond of the body scanners until they can assure me thatís the amounts of radiation is very low. As a person who has had some health issues in the past that required me to have a number of CT scans, Pet scans & MRIís I do have some concern over being more exposed to higher doses of radiation. I donít have my teeth x-rayed once a year as my dentist suggests, but every 1 Ĺ years instead. I do go for a yearly mammogram due to cancer risk in my family.

Not all people who oppose this scanning are running to McDonalds and eating junk food so thatís pretty unfair to say. My main concern is safety and making sure everyone safe. I did go through the scanner once this past August and was fine with it but for the people who fly all the time it is a health concern. As far as the people who refuse do scan or pat down DONíT FLY!

As far as screening pilots theyíre the ones flying the plane they donít need bombs to bring down the plane theyíre the ones in charge!!! If they want to bring it down they will.

~Robin~

Need some cruise help?

Carnival - Fantasy 1998
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014
Old November 18th, 2010, 02:10 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnthed0g View Post
Anyone who thinks that a bit of personal embarrassment is worse than a whole plane load of people being blown to bits plus whatever devastation on the gound is an IDIOT!

You are absolutey right !!!!!!!!!!

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Old November 18th, 2010, 05:19 PM
Admiral

I want 100% of the people to be pat or xrayed ,no exceptions