Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 18th, 2011, 02:02 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter
Default enjoying our dog

I am enjoying having my first dog ever - I grew up in a cat household from childhood but my wife wanted a dog so we got one about a year ago.

She is the most loving and attentive little thing. I hear a lot of dogs need to be touched or talked to all the time or else they will eat your shoes. This little dog is good all the time - has never chewed anything we didnt give her.

The only thing is she is skittery if you go to pick her up - she will jump away every time. We have say "pet" and she will stop and lay down, but if we just reach down she runs away - we have no idea why.

Once we have her in hand she is fine (she only weighs 6 pounds) and doesn't mind it - just an odd thing.
Attached Thumbnails
enjoying our dog-sophie1.jpg   enjoying our dog-sophie2.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Old February 18th, 2011, 04:39 AM
Captain

We love our Boston Terrier Jezebel! Dog's love ya even when we are unlovable!
Wouldn't it be cool if we could take our 4 legged friends cruising with us???

Caribbean Princess 07
Carnival Valor 08
Carnival Holiday 08
Carnival Triumph 09
Island Princess 09
Carnival Miracle 10
Norwegian Pearl 11
Norwegian Sun 13
Independence of the Seas Feb 14
Carnival Splendor Feb 2015
Carnival Sunshine Feb 2016
Old February 18th, 2011, 09:25 AM
Admiral

Hey Paul, nice to hear you are enjoying being dog owners!
What breed is she, and what is her name?

donna
Old February 18th, 2011, 09:27 AM
Cruise Maniac

Thumbs up

Nice looking puppy. I have a Scottie. He doesn't ever listen to me, looks the other way with disdain, and is aloof.
Love it. Enjoy!
P.S. I think my Scottie really loves me. He just has a weird way of showing it. Congratulations!!!!
Old February 18th, 2011, 10:47 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Oh Paul,
I am a dog lover here too. Before you know it, she will be a big part of your family, enjoy her.

Message Boards Moderator
Old February 18th, 2011, 10:55 AM
Admiral

It's a Papillion known as such because of the Butterfly appearance of the ears.
Old February 18th, 2011, 11:20 AM
Admiral

She’s a little cutie pie Paul! Many years of happiness and love to all you Paul.
I grew up with 3 dogs & 2 cats. No dog for me now just two spoiled cats!

Need some cruise help?
Carnival - Fantasy 1998
RCCL - Majesty of the Sea 2000
Carnival - Inspiration 2009
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014
Old February 18th, 2011, 11:22 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Sooo darn cute!! Was she a rescue dog? If so,it's possible she is reacting to somone going to hit her We had that with one dog......we have 2 Yorkies,and the Dog from Hell

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old February 18th, 2011, 12:38 PM
Admiral

I think I've only done this once if at all. Nevertheless I can't resist because of the topic. Below is my unedited newspaper column for tomorrow. Talk about apropos!

YOU BEST WATCH WHAT YOU SAY IN FRONT OF YOUR DOG

The other day I had a wonderful conversation with Diane (last name deleted) with whom I went to High School. She and her husband live out in the county after having been gone (as was I) for many years. They too discovered, despite Thomas Wolfe’s "You can never go home again" that you certainly can and it can be even better the second time around. Diane had called to ask me a question, to which I gave my opinion (which usually for me is a subtle way of saying, "I don’t know") and I say that a lot, demonstrating my extreme ignorance.
In any event, the subject came around to how intelligent dogs really are. She and her husband had owned a small poodle for many years that had died long ago and how intelligent the dog was. But then she told me something I’d never heard. Did you know dogs can spell? Seriously. If someone had told me that in July, I would’ve suggested they best get out of the sun. But I knew Diane and she proved her point. They know a couple who is baby sitting a dog for a member of the military and his family who have been deployed for three years overseas.
Most dog owners know that dogs do understand the human languages which I knew but to which I was reminded by the story of a man who had adopted a Chihuahua somewhere out West. No matter what he said to the dog, it would just sit there. Then someone said something in Spanish and the dog alerted and went right over to the individual. The dog only understood Spanish. This is also often proved by police dogs that are trained in Austria and when they come to this country their handlers sometimes have to learn to give commands in German.
But spelling? C’mon! Diane proved it to me by telling me that the dog their friends were baby sitting loved cheese. All you’d have to do is say "cheese" and the dog went ape. Now when the word :"Cheese" was spelled out ("as in do you want some C-h-e-e-s-e") the dog still understood and again would go ape!
That led me to do some research. I knew that dogs had the capacity to understand up to 250 words (cats only about 27 but that’s why I have cats, I didn’t want an animal smarter than I, except that with my luck Fran and I were saddled with exceptionally well educated felines, as all you regular readers are aware). One article I read was by a woman who stated that her dog understood complete sentences. And she demonstrated she was right! She said that where people make their mistake is trying to teach their dogs individual words such as "sit," "stay" "roll over," etc. or they use "baby talk." She maintains, with apparent veracity that you should talk to your dog in the same manner as you’d talk to another family member (minus of course some of the words frequently used when the children refuse to clean up their rooms). She swears that eventually the dog will understand the sentences. This admittedly works best if this process begins with a puppy. I don’t have space to relate another case here but I read of another incident wherein another dog owner proved to a stunned man standing alongside of him that his dog could and would act on somewhat more complex instructions, as running a non existent obstacle course.
I called my four felines together and explained my findings to them finishing with, "Isn’t that amazing?". They just gave me a bored look. Then Oliver stood up and announced, "Et tu Brute!" I just threw up my hands and walked out of the room.
Old February 18th, 2011, 12:58 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

No - she is not a rescue, we got her from a nice breeder when she was just a puppy. Yes, she is a Pappillon and it means "butterfly" in French. It is believed the dogs came from France or Great Britain.

The difference between dogs and cats is that a dog wants your full attention all the time - which gets to be a bit much.

Now, I have had cats that want to be with me all the time, and will get up and lay down on my desktop when Im working, or they will sleep in my socks drawer next to me.

But our dog, Sophie, will bring me a toy she wants to play with and stand there and look at me, with an accoasional bark if I don't comply, until I throw the darn thing. This can go on for hours.

We have a ritual where she has to tell us if she needs to go potty - so we can go outside with her, even though she has a doggy door and can go out at any time. She just wants us there.

We have just taught her not to bark (for attention) when she wants to play but we want to watch TV. She will eventually quiet down and lay on her own chair and just watch TV with us - but she knows the minute the show is over (we don't know how) and she will be the first "person" up and demanding attention.

She is incredibly smart and intuitive about what we want - but also willful if she doesn't agree. She knows what she is supposed to do, but she doesn't want to do it.

The only nad thing she does consistently is try to eat my earplugs (I guess they are like chewing gum for her). She will be up checking my bedstand for them the second I get up - so I have learned to put them away.
Old February 18th, 2011, 01:07 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

"She will be up checking my bedstand for them the second I get up - so I have learned to put them away."

Sophie is teaching her old dog, some new tricks..lol!

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old February 18th, 2011, 02:30 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Paul..
She is a cutey!! Enjoy.
Old February 18th, 2011, 11:56 PM
Admiral

We had a dog and a cat .Currently just a grand dog .
Old February 19th, 2011, 01:01 AM
Admiral

Paul with her shying away ... try approaching her by putting your palm up UNDER her chin (it's the way to greet any dog so they don't think you're going to hit them).

She's cute - but not quite as cute as my AKC champion Bichon Frise, Muffy. At least her grandfather and father were award winners and she won first prize at our local dog show. She's my avatar.

I cruise the Emerald Princess, Eastern Caribbean on April 16, 2012
Old February 19th, 2011, 01:02 AM
First Mate

Default Good for you

Paul,
Nice to hear about folks looking after dogs.
She is a puppy and just like a child will test her boundaries so I suggest you enquire about dog obedience classes that the alpha dog goes to with her.
One person on the household has to be the Alpha dog , not her and she will identify you and your wife as her pack.

If you read up on the breed you can learn more about barking
and how to control to a satisfactory manner.
Be gentle as you train her as all her trust will be in you two but be firm when needed and do not hit her anywhere regardless of what some folks might say.

Reward her with a small diet treat in your pocket for any task well done as you train her as they associate reward with encouragement.

Get lots of books and read as she will give you years of enjoyment.

If you train her well to you and friends and in different houses than you can find someone who will look after her while you go on your next cruise otherwise some of the folks at cruisemates dot com will be looking forward to the freebies you cannot go to anymore
Cheers
Web site: http://robbarcruises.wordpress.com/

Last edited by robh; February 19th, 2011 at 01:12 AM.
Old February 19th, 2011, 01:10 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruzNut View Post
Paul with her shying away ... try approaching her by putting your palm up UNDER her chin (it's the way to greet any dog so they don't think you're going to hit them).

She's cute - but not quite as cute as my AKC champion Bichon Frise, Muffy. At least her grandfather and father were award winners and she won first prize at our local dog show. She's my avatar.
Cruznut
Muffy looks like my sister-in-laws dog who is a Bichon , about four years old and he is called BJ, not my choice.
We are looking after him for the month while they vacation. He was treated badly by children prior so we tell our grandchildren not to get in his face but he is a sweet dog.
Only thing I have issues with the barking for no reason at all that can ocurr and when I walk him, sometimes dead stops on me just as we get about 1/2 block and looks at me , as if saying, pick me up or not moving. I just look at him, pat his bum to move foward and off he trots in a fast manner. I do not think they trained him a lot but he will adjust while on vacation in our house.
Web site: http://robbarcruises.wordpress.com/