Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 24th, 2011, 02:38 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter
Default Drugs on Ships - OUT OF HAND!

Another big drug bust on a cruise ship....

Cruise ship coke bust crew were Jamaicans - News - JamaicaObserver.com

33 kilograms of Cocaine!!! Isnt that like about a million dollars "on the street?"

Can someone here recall which cruise lines this has happened on? They have to get a handle on this. Do you think it was happening all along and they are just now reporting it, or do you think this is new stuff?

My gut is that it has been happening all along. I know when I worked on ships in the 80s I you couldn't stop in Columbia or Jamaica without being asked if you wanted to buy drugs all the time.

I also recall as a crewmember being able to just walk off the ship in Miami and no one even blinking. I am sure that has changed, but once the guests are all off CBP still probably eases up a lot.
Sponsored Links
Old February 24th, 2011, 02:46 PM
Administrator
Admiral

I looked it up and most of the offenses were on Royal Caribbean or NCL. Carnival and its subsidiary lines are squeeky clean in comparison. Carnival, one arrest for 20 codiene tablets.

But I have to say I also object to the targeting of certain cruises such as the gay cruise and the music cruise. I mean a fe people getting high on a "lifestyle" cruise is not a big deal to me.

But I don't want these guys importing huge quantities in on ships - it just makes the security look really bad. I mean - BUY A DOG!
Old February 24th, 2011, 03:00 PM
Admiral

Paul, my son served on a Federal jury in Galveston involving a crew member trying to smuggle drugs off the ship. Seems like it was Voyager of the Seas. The only reason the crew member was caught was because the agent noticed "unusual" behavior.

I agree that the cruise lines need to do a better job. 33 kilos! WOW!
Mariner of the Seas

HAL Statendam Alaska Cruise Tour - 09/09/12; Disney Magic - 12/01/12; Allure of the Seas - 05/26/13
Old February 24th, 2011, 04:21 PM
Admiral

I don't get it! Why don't the dogs around smell it? On one cruise at the return, I watched the sniffer dogs being led around the food palates prior to loading. I believe it was MSC in Fort Lauderdale, but it was a few years back.

Why can't there be a dog to do a ship sweep?
Old February 24th, 2011, 05:06 PM
Admiral

I think you're right that it's probably been happening for some time but may have started out small, maybe as just smuggling pot, then as they got away with that and became bolder and bolder, they gradually started to bring in the harder drugs, as that would be more money.
It seems like the security and scrutiny for the crew reboarding ( or boarding) a ship would be as tightly controlled as it is for the passengers. If a crew member can get aboard with quite a large haul of hard drugs, I think I would be questioning just how thorough the security actually is that's supposed to be monitoring the people coming and going, regardless of whether they are crew or passengers.
And too, once they get it on, do they, the crew use it to get high, or are they merely the middle man, so to speak, moving it from one place to the other for pick up?
I realize speculation is not always good but more than likely if it's happening on one cruise line, it's likely happening on some of the others too. Maybe they just haven't been caught yet.
Old February 24th, 2011, 05:39 PM
Administrator
Admiral

I know for a fact Carnival has excellent security and a strict no tolerance policy.

It seems like the other cruise lines should be monitoring the crew a little better, honestly. You can't just leave it up to customs.

I would bet some people bring a little on for personal use, but if someone had 33 kilos hidden somewhere they would be crazy to risk getting caught by using it onboard. But then again drug smugglers are not always the brilliant people the movies make them out to be.

It does bring into question other things. Remember in "Scarface" when he is saying "I don't like Columbians" - well, some of those people can be pretty rough. In LA the Jamaicans actually had a reputation for being quite street tough - and that is who they just caught.

You have to wonder about guns and other things that may have been involved although none were reported.
Old February 24th, 2011, 09:20 PM
Admiral

A friend of mine is a retired Homeland Security Agent .He said that when he was on the job the crew of airlines and officers of cruiseships never were subject to luggage check . He often speculated that they were carrying drugs .
Old February 24th, 2011, 11:59 PM
Admiral

Here's something that we really need to consider in today's world. If indeed it's easy to smuggle 33 Kilos and for those who don't know, being in the trade I was in, 33 kilos is over seventy-six pounds!

What if it weren't33 kilos of coke but 33 kilos of C-4 or TNT. It couldn't sink a cruise ship itself but it could cause horrendous damage and hundreds of casualties depending upon where it was placed, especially if it could be placed adjoinging a fuel bunker. That scenario would probably be too difficult to get away with but what if it were placed in a theater or in or beneath a dining room. It's easily detectable by dogs but then, so is coke.

What if it were 76 pounds of Nitroglycerine. That would be extremely hard to do but if they did, they could send an entire section of the superstructure to the moon.

Now combine that with a few dozen tanks of oxygen disguised as CO-2.

Food for thought.

BTW, if it's coke, you'd think they'd be considerate enough to bring aboard a few thousand straws and share.

Better yet put it in pressurized dry chemical fire extinguishers and spray all of the ship. Sure would give w whole new meaning to the Irish Rovers, "Wasn't that a party!" Grandma would be doing back flips on the sun deck. Not to mention the Captain instead of going to Tortola, may end up in Singapore. Hey that scenario would make a great Cheech and Chong flik!

Woudln't that be a party! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVPu5...eature=related

Todd

Last edited by ToddDH; February 25th, 2011 at 12:19 AM.
Old February 25th, 2011, 02:05 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

33 Kilos! If they were flying the cost for the over weight bag would be as much as the drugs were worth

RCI is the "nation of why not", with the motto.. Get Out There.
Guess some crew took those slogans as a motivational speeches
Old February 25th, 2011, 05:16 AM
Admiral

when I started cruising in the late 70's on Carnvial (Mardi Gras), upon return to Miami all the bags were lined up in a big warehouse that was open and with nervous guests watching, the dogs would go up and down sniffing in full view...needless to say there were alot of bags that were never claimed

prior to 911, airline crew bags and employees were usually not checked..no longer the case these days
Old February 25th, 2011, 05:20 AM
Admiral

in it's time, Eastern Air Lines, who flew South America to Miami, use to be the carrier of choice for drug smuggling...I remember a huge bust when the landing gear did not come down and the plane had to do an emergency landing and they discovered a huge amout of coke and a stowaway in the wheel well

Todd, you make a good point
Old February 25th, 2011, 08:44 AM
Admiral

And, we have a hard time bringing booze on board!!
Old February 25th, 2011, 10:07 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Ruth,
You are so right, something has to change. I have no idea what these crew members are thinking when doing this, it is just not worth the risk, as some are now finding out...

Message Boards Moderator
Old February 25th, 2011, 01:40 PM
Admiral

Default Venice

Quote:
Originally Posted by venice View Post
when I started cruising in the late 70's on Carnvial (Mardi Gras), upon return to Miami all the bags were lined up in a big warehouse that was open and with nervous guests watching, the dogs would go up and down sniffing in full view...needless to say there were alot of bags that were never claimed

prior to 911, airline crew bags and employees were usually not checked..no longer the case these days
According to my friend ,the retired Customs Inspector ,now referred to as Homeland Security ,flight crews were able to go through without checking till at least Jan.1993 .
Old February 25th, 2011, 10:11 PM
Admiral

If we did not have such a huge demand for drugs in the US and other Western countries, there not be anyone smugling it.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013
Booked Allure of the Seas....12/27/2015
Old February 25th, 2011, 10:13 PM
Admiral

Legalization of drugs would also make an in-road into gang activity .
Old February 26th, 2011, 12:16 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry43 View Post
Legalization of drugs would also make an in-road into gang activity .
Yes it would. There would be a lot less shootings on our city streets.
And once drugs stop being a forbidden fruit, there will be less demand for them.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013
Booked Allure of the Seas....12/27/2015
Old February 26th, 2011, 03:51 AM
Admiral

wasn't that the case made for prohibition ?