Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 30th, 2011, 04:45 PM
Admiral

Cool Blog from kuki

Want to thank you very much for the insightful blog about the hard working crews on all our cruise ships. There is no doubt I would like EVERY cruiser to read this and understand how hard these people work and to treat each of them with respect not as their personal servants. Thanks Kuki for something that reminds how lucky we are and how hard working these people are ensuring we have a wonderful time.
Sponsored Links
Old March 30th, 2011, 05:47 PM
Captain

Send a message via AIM to fun2cruiz

For certain they are hard workers....and to treat them as personal servants is wrong....but then again, I do not want to hear their "poor pitiful me" woes that I have personally listened too, merely for an additional gratuity.

I certainly will give them the respect they deserve, but they compromise their hard work ethics when they play that card ! They were well aware of what their job description was before they signed that contract and the possible pitfalls they may incur regarding how they are treated by passengers. Do they make a cruise experience better...?? In most cases yes they do, but I have ran across a few that have had to be reported for less than quality work or customer service.

"January"
Blizzard Flavored Treat & Cake Of The Month
"Strawberry CheeseQuake"

Last edited by fun2cruiz; March 30th, 2011 at 05:56 PM.
Old March 30th, 2011, 06:14 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrot Mom View Post
Want to thank you very much for the insightful blog about the hard working crews on all our cruise ships. There is no doubt I would like EVERY cruiser to read this and understand how hard these people work and to treat each of them with respect not as their personal servants. Thanks Kuki for something that reminds how lucky we are and how hard working these people are ensuring we have a wonderful time.
I agree with you 100%, and I could not say it any better.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old March 30th, 2011, 06:26 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Yes, the blog talks about how hard the crew work. BUT.. it also talks about how in demand these jobs are for people living in other parts of the world.. where the average income in much lower than western standards. And in fact many people are paying employment agencies in their native countries to get these jobs, and those who have them often do their very best to make sure they are there for years.

Cruisemates Blog Cruise Ship Crews – Overworked and Underpaid? – Kuki

Above is the link to the blog. I think it talks about both sides of the story.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old March 30th, 2011, 06:28 PM
Admiral

Quote:
For certain they are hard workers....and to treat them as personal servants is wrong....but then again, I do not want to hear their "poor pitiful me" woes that I have personally listened too, merely for an additional gratuity.
Ya, it's as bad as some travel agents complaining about how little commission they make, and how difficult some customers are for the small
amount earned.
Old March 30th, 2011, 07:22 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

They certainly work very hard for their wages, plus being away from home for so long, away from family and friends....Not an easy job to do for months on end. They deserve their tips for sure.

Message Boards Moderator
Old March 30th, 2011, 07:27 PM
Captain

Send a message via AIM to fun2cruiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuki View Post
Ya, it's as bad as some travel agents complaining about how little commission they make, and how difficult some customers are for the small
amount earned.
And I will assume you are not pointing a finger my way... I do not work for tips !

Just as there are TA's using that practice, there are some folks in probably any field or profession crying "poor", especially during these tough economic times ! :eek:

Good Blog and shares alot of insight on cruise ship staff. But I also know there are two sides to every coin and two sides to any story !

I was taught to believe 1/2 of what you read.....

"January"
Blizzard Flavored Treat & Cake Of The Month
"Strawberry CheeseQuake"
Old March 30th, 2011, 07:41 PM
Admiral

Smile Cruise ship workers

We all know that NCL tried an all American crew and that was a disaster. Americans truly do not know the menial work and long hours. The only time I have ever reported a crew member and he was an Officer from Croatia was a private statement made to me that was so abhorent that I was absolutely personally insulted... and I waited until the next morning to report him. The comments from the Security Officer weren't what I wanted to hear. I am so grateful for the work the Room Stewards do, the extra attention that is paid to my husband who has a disability and it is so easy to say hello and good morning/good evening with a smile. I guess it's all about our attitudes treating others the way we would like to be treated...COURTESY. Remember at the end of OUR cruise they are ready to start all over again meeting new people and demands.We go back to our homes and families and they maybe on for another six months before they see theirs. My cruising days maybe sadly over, but we love cruising and all the great people including staff that we have met.

Just as there are TA's using that practice, there are some folks in probably any field or profession crying "poor", especially during these tough economic times !

"There maybe "tough economic times" but you can't prove much of it by the larger cruise ships and the throngs and throngs of cruisers...There is a segment of our population who obviously aren't being affected by "tough economic times" are there?

Last edited by Parrot Mom; March 30th, 2011 at 07:58 PM.
Old March 30th, 2011, 08:36 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by fun2cruiz View Post
And I will assume you are not pointing a finger my way... I do not work for tips !

Just as there are TA's using that practice, there are some folks in probably any field or profession crying "poor", especially during these tough economic times ! :eek:

Good Blog and shares alot of insight on cruise ship staff. But I also know there are two sides to every coin and two sides to any story !

I was taught to believe 1/2 of what you read.....
No, I certainly wasn't pointing my finger at you or anyone else specific. I was just trying to balance your earlier comments about crew who "play that card". I don't know many who don't complain about what they earn or how hard they work, etc.

Especially true in the service sector, because they are underpaid because they have to deal with the public
Old March 31st, 2011, 12:54 AM
First Mate

As some may know from reading what I have posted on here, I work in the hospitality industry here in the US. For the gold standard by which all others are judged in fact. That actually puts a lot of pressure on me considering I work in the lodging side of things where I am. I've been yelled at, cussed at, called so many different names you would blush even if you were a Navy Sailor. I've been told I should be fired, lose my job, be reprimanded and worse, just because I was doing my job and following the rules.

When I worked in the parks, I didn't get to travel as much, but since moving to the lodging side of things, I get more opportunity. I see and I observe a lot. I grew up living around the world and travelling around the world. And when I observe, I watch it all. The service people, and those they are serving. Hands down, the service people will always win. Yes occasionally there are those that lose it and do something while front of house that they shouldn't.

Are they a bad service person that shouldn't be there? Perhaps.

Regardless ... when I travel these days, I actually watch the guest more than the host. Most people are good guests, but the bad ones are just appalling.

For those of you that have never worked as a career (and yes, it can be a career depending on where you are) in the service industry, you just don't see what we see. There is more bad than good, but the bad is just ... well very very bad.

I do have high standards the moment I step on a ship. But they're no higher than the standards I have when I step into a landside hotel. Or walk into a landside restaurant. More often than not, while on a ship my expectations are vastly exceeded, and even go above and beyond what I am used to where I work.

And now I feel I am rambling. I apologize. Its just something I am a little passionate about.

And anyone that follows what I say on this site will know who I work for, I just don't like throwing the name out there all the time, even tho I am beyond proud of my job.

Past cruises:

Disney Dream - Dec 2013 4n Bahamas
Disney Dream - Dec 2012 4n Bahamas
Carnival Imagination - Dec 2011 4n Western
Carnival Imagination - Nov 2010 4n Western
Costa Atlantica - Dec 2009 7n Eastern

My opinions are mine and mine alone. They do not represent the opinions of The Walt Disney Company nor any of its subsidiaries.
Old March 31st, 2011, 10:24 AM
Admiral

I haven't read Kuki's blog yet, so I probably should not comment until having done so, BUT....

In all my days at sea (granted this number doesn't come close to others here!) ...... I can say that for the most part, the crew is humble and hard-working. For the most part; these have been the crew that are of Asian origin.

I have only had two bad "crew" experiences, and both were with Eastern European crew. One was a Bulgarian Black Jack dealer. Granted, he probably had a very dry sense of humour, but after I tipped him $1 on a winning $5 black jack hand ....he muttered under his breath "great, that will pay for my house". I walked away from his table and never played with him again. I don't mind losing money, but I hate losing money to grumpy dealers.

The other bad experience was with a Croation waiter on Carnival Dream. I didn't report him, but I really didn't like him. He tried to convince me that he did not see a cent of the auto-tips and that if I wanted to thank him, I should tip him cash directly. He also tried extensively to guilt me about being able to afford cruise whereas he just had to live on a cruiseship. He asked me what my house was worth, what my job was, and how much money I make in Canada. I'm sorry, but I don't go on holidays to be guilted into tipping others who are misfortunate.

Just two examples, and I believe strongly that these men were the exception not the norm. I've encountered more hard-working, humble, and appreciative workers than anything else. I mentioned in one of my trip reviews, that one of the things I most liked about HAL, is that it offered the highest level of service I have encountered to date, and there was "zip/zero/zilch" talk of tips or gratuities.

Royal Oasis of the Seas - 2013 {pending}
Disney Fantasy - 2013
Disney Dream - 2012
Royal Freedom of the Seas - 2011
HAL Eurodam - 2011
Royal Grandeur of the Seas - 2010
Carnival Dream - 2010
Grand Princess - 2002
Royal Voyageur of the Seas - 2000
Royal Sovereign of the Seas - 1999
Carnival Ecstacy - 1991
Old March 31st, 2011, 11:07 AM
Admiral

Queen..I concur with your sentiments..I cannot think of one negative encounter with a crew person that I have ever had..but then again I try to approach crew members with alittle extra respect for what they do and how hard they work

my Mom for over 20 years worked in housekeeping at a large inn and when I was little, on weekends I use to tag along and help her clean the rooms..it is very hard, backbreaking work and I learned alot...on my cruises I make a point of leaving a short note every day address to my cabin person to thank them and wish them a good day and $1(our jazz cruises required prepaid tips that are alittle more then a normal cruise which is a great idea on the part of the promoter)..I also make sure all the towels in the bathroom that are used are pick up and left on the sink counter so she(he) does not have to bend over and p/u off the floor

being from New Orleans I always pack a bag of Mardi Gras beads (that I purchase from our local ARC) and on the last full day at sea, my cabin mate and I hand out to the crew members that we have interacted with thru out the week, including some of the deck hands that are washing down the lido deck that I see every morning on my sunrise walk and my great joy is to go to the guest services desk to hand out beads to the staff when guests are complaining about their print out of the s&s final bill..the look of surprise and smiles from the crew is a nice way to end my jazz cruise
Old March 31st, 2011, 11:13 AM
Admiral

What a wonderful idea! You know, RD and I were discussing, how in Cuba, its more valuable to tip them with consumer goods than with money. It never occured to me that the same might hold true for ships.

I was reading at a Disney Cruise board, where there is a crew member posting who says they go nuts for Candy and things they can't get on ship or in port. She said, some guests have even snuck food out of the buffet or MDR and brought that to them which they loved because it was better than what the ship fed them. [I found this part confusing because on Eurodam, I saw the crew eating in the Lido, but perhaps this is not the norm on other ships.]

Royal Oasis of the Seas - 2013 {pending}
Disney Fantasy - 2013
Disney Dream - 2012
Royal Freedom of the Seas - 2011
HAL Eurodam - 2011
Royal Grandeur of the Seas - 2010
Carnival Dream - 2010
Grand Princess - 2002
Royal Voyageur of the Seas - 2000
Royal Sovereign of the Seas - 1999
Carnival Ecstacy - 1991
Old March 31st, 2011, 11:53 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen of Oakville View Post
What a wonderful idea! You know, RD and I were discussing, how in Cuba, its more valuable to tip them with consumer goods than with money. It never occured to me that the same might hold true for ships.

I was reading at a Disney Cruise board, where there is a crew member posting who says they go nuts for Candy and things they can't get on ship or in port. She said, some guests have even snuck food out of the buffet or MDR and brought that to them which they loved because it was better than what the ship fed them. [I found this part confusing because on Eurodam, I saw the crew eating in the Lido, but perhaps this is not the norm on other ships.]

There's "crew", "staff", and "officers". While there's some variances from line to line as to who is which, crew are not allowed in public areas, or to eat at the buffet on Lido Deck, or in public lounges. Staff and Officers are.

That's a bit over simplified, but the basics of it.