Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

View Poll Results: What will the outcome be?
Hung Jury 1 7.14%
Not guilty 4 28.57%
Guilty 9 64.29%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 5th, 2011, 08:59 PM
Admiral

The judicial system in this country can sometimes be a farce .
Old July 5th, 2011, 09:13 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry43 View Post
The judicial system in this country can sometimes be a farce .

Too often it is a farce.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013
Booked Allure of the Seas....12/27/2015
Old July 5th, 2011, 09:15 PM
Admiral

Yes ,exactly ,Manuel.
Old July 5th, 2011, 10:23 PM
Admiral

May as well add my nickel's worth, for what it's worth.
I'm not surprised at the verdict, although I do believe she is guilty, it didn't seem to be enough proof beyond a reasonable doubt. I watched the summation by both the defense and the prosecutor and I think the defense really out did the prosecution in the summation and I think that really had some influence on the jury.
Personally, I don't think cameras should have been allowed into the court room from day one--we don't need a murder trail turned into a soap opera such as the O.J trial and now this one, or any other one for that matter.
As far as anymore jail time, she'll walk Thursday with no more time to serve.
As far as what she does, she will keep a low profile for a couple of weeks, then in the meantime, be working with an agent ( possibly her defense attorney ) on a book / movie / talk show deals / circuits, etc and make a fortune . Wouldn't surprise me to see her and the esteemed defense attorney snuggling up with each other in a few weeks.
Just my opinion but the sad thing remains--a small child was murdered and somewhere the killer walks free. A sad day for justice, if there is such a thing left in this country.
Old July 5th, 2011, 10:48 PM
Admiral

To those who say a higher authority will judge is solely a supposition .
Old July 5th, 2011, 11:23 PM
Captain

Send a message via AIM to fun2cruiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry43 View Post
To those who say a higher authority will judge is solely a supposition .
And in "my beliefs" (not a supposition as you infer), she will be judged one day and rightfully so, regardless of the outcome of the judgement.

"January"
Blizzard Flavored Treat & Cake Of The Month
"Strawberry CheeseQuake"
Old July 6th, 2011, 02:58 AM
Captain

I just don't think there was enough evidence to convict her beyond a reasonable doubt, esp. with her dad kinda looking guilty.

Carribean Princess 07
Carnival Valor 08
Carnival Holiday 08
Carnival Triumph 09
Island Princess 09
Carnival Miracle 10
Norwegian Pearl 11
Norwegian Sun 13
Independence of the Seas Feb 14
Carnival Splendor Feb 15
Old July 6th, 2011, 10:02 AM
Captain

The prosecutor overcharged in this case. The charges were based on circumstantial evidence. No evidence of premeditation was given. The possibility of accidental death was never disproven.

Given those facts, it is scary how many are frothing at the mouth to kill her because she comes from a "dysfunctional family" or goes to nightclubs.
Old July 6th, 2011, 10:39 AM
Admiral

a jury must vote not guilty if there is ANY reasonable doubt.
Did she "get away with murder" probably. She is the one who has to live with herself
Old July 6th, 2011, 11:41 AM
Admiral

I totally disagree with the verdict of not guilty. Obviously the prosecutor and staff, did not do their homework! Our legal system says "a person is innocent unless, proven, beyond a "reasonable doubt" that they are guilty! Still, in my mind I wonder how can a mother let thirty-one days go by before they call the police about a missing child. On top of that, how can a mother, who's child is missing, or assumed dead, could go about "partying" as if nothing has happened. Obviously, Casey Anthony has a lot of issues that can be resolved through counseling. She will have to "carry the burden" of her part in the neglect of her child, Cailey, for the rest of her life! It is my hope that she is not offered any book deals, telling her part of the story to magazines, or to have a movie about the trial, where she is paid!
Old July 6th, 2011, 12:17 PM
Admiral

I am stunned. What most folks don't realize is probably three quarters of all criminal guilty verdicts are based upon circumstantial evidence, even death sentences. As I said, most people don't know that. One very important facet of circumstantial evidence is the behavior of the accused.

I did not watch the entire trial, only the highlights because after doing what I've done you don't turn into a "trial junkie." I agree with Mike about that Grace woman. But I did learn enough that she was guilty of something beyond lying to the authorities. That's why I believe I suggested either Murder 2 or more likely Manslaughter. I do believe she took her daughter's life but I don't think it was intentional. The Father was definitely not involved,, on that I'd bet the farm.

In any event, there will be no justice for Caylee and that is heartbreaking.

C'est la guerre.

Todd
Old July 6th, 2011, 12:18 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by balabusta View Post
I totally disagree with the verdict of not guilty. Obviously the prosecutor and staff, did not do their homework! Our legal system says "a person is innocent unless, proven, beyond a "reasonable doubt" that they are guilty! Still, in my mind I wonder how can a mother let thirty-one days go by before they call the police about a missing child. On top of that, how can a mother, who's child is missing, or assumed dead, could go about "partying" as if nothing has happened. Obviously, Casey Anthony has a lot of issues that can be resolved through counseling. She will have to "carry the burden" of her part in the neglect of her child, Cailey, for the rest of her life! It is my hope that she is not offered any book deals, telling her part of the story to magazines, or to have a movie about the trial, where she is paid!
There was no forensic evidence - QED - therefore not guilty.

The rest is circumstantial evidence.

Sorry - I understand the anger and pain but the case was not proved.

Annie
Old July 6th, 2011, 12:33 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
I am stunned. What most folks don't realize is probably three quarters of all criminal guilty verdicts are based upon circumstantial evidence, even death sentences. As I said, most people don't know that. One very important facet of circumstantial evidence is the behavior of the accused.
Yeah, but majority of those convicted aren't young pretty women either, are they...

I believe she had everything to do with the death of that baby, but I never agreed she should be put to death for it. Serve lots of time yes-- but not death.
Enchanted Seas
Enchanted Isle x4

Seawind
Seawind Crown
Celebrity
Horizon
Carnival
Celebration x5
Festivale
Fascination
Inspiration
Conquest x2
Elation- PLATINUM

Magic x2
Norwegian
Sea x3
Star
Dream
Spirit

Need some cruise help?

Need some cruise help?
Old July 6th, 2011, 01:08 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddDH View Post

I did not watch the entire trial ...

Todd
Respectfully, then you are not qualified to offer an opinion.

The jurors watched the entire trial.
Old July 6th, 2011, 01:55 PM
Admiral

Default You missunderstand what I am saying

Quote:
Originally Posted by fun2cruiz View Post
And in "my beliefs" (not a supposition as you infer), she will be judged one day and rightfully so, regardless of the outcome of the judgement.
I believe in God .I believe in heaven and hell ,however , none of us have any idea of how she will be judged .We can only theorize .
Old July 6th, 2011, 04:38 PM
Admiral

What goes around comes around, she will get hers in time. I was surprised at the out come.. I think if the DA had gone for man 1 he would have got a conviction, murder and a death sentence people are looking for reasons not to convict....
Old July 6th, 2011, 04:58 PM
Admiral

I haven't seen folks this upset about a verdict since OJ Simpson..and like OJ, karma will come into play shortly
Old July 6th, 2011, 05:52 PM
Admiral

What happened to the strand of hair belonging to Caylee that was found in the trunk? It supposedly was tested and found to be from a corps and DNA showed it was Caylee’s, this was back in the beginning.

Home is where you park your flip flops

~Robin~

Need some cruise help?

Carnival - Fantasy 1998
RCCL - Majesty of the Sea 2000
Carnival - Inspiration 2009
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014
Old July 6th, 2011, 05:53 PM
Admiral

Todd,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You View Post
But I did learn enough that she was guilty of something beyond lying to the authorities. That's why I believe I suggested either Murder 2 or more likely Manslaughter. I do believe she took her daughter's life but I don't think it was intentional. The Father was definitely not involved,, on that I'd bet the farm.
Your beliefs may well be right.

But for better or worse, our nation's founders so dreaded the spectire of the injustice of a person who committed no crime being deprived of liberty that they wrote the legal presumption of innocence into our federal constitution, thus placing the burden on prosecutors to prove the guilt of the accused in every criminal proceeding. As a result of this choice, the question before the jury in a criminal proceeding is NOT: "Is the defendant guilty?" Rather, the question before the jury is: "Did the prosecution prove that the defendant is guilty?" If the evidence and testimony presented during the trial does not constitute proof beyond a reasonable doubt (or, for a capital offense, beyond all shadow of doubt), the jury must acquit the defendant on that charge.

That said, I would be the first to agree that the phrase "Not Guilty" is not really an accurate characterization of the verdict of acquittal. The Scottish verdict of "Not Proven" would be a much more accurate characterization of what's really meant by acquittal.

Norm.
Old July 6th, 2011, 05:57 PM
Admiral

Aerogirl,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You View Post
What happened to the strand of hair belonging to Caylee that was found in the trunk? It supposedly was tested and found to be from a corps and DNA showed it was Caylee’s, this was back in the beginning.
What linked the defendant to that strand of hair?

The vehicle apparently did not belong to the defendant, and the defendant apparently was not the only person who had used the vehicle during the relevant period of time.

Norm.
Old July 6th, 2011, 06:32 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

The best explanation of the result of this trial that I've heard.... is that jurors are confused. They don't understand the difference between "beyond a reasonable doubt" and "beyond any doubt".

They think the latter is the standard.
Old July 6th, 2011, 06:34 PM
Admiral

There was not one shred of evidence to link this crime to Casey nor anyone else. No fingerprints, no DNA. How this was accomplished beats me. There was no slipups to find and connect.

Now, Casey may be relieved for the moment. But she will forever be in her own prison. Not a prison of remorse over Cayley, but she'll never see life again as she hopes. She can't go out and be seen anywhere again, will she be able to trust anyone again? People are already lined up for lawsuits. Any royalties she gets are taxed, not free and clear. For the next few years she'll be paying out a huge amount of her new found free money to others as cases settle. All this is going to upset her greatly. She'll lead a very lonely life, coming in contact with new friends who see her as a free ride to private parties etc.
Old July 6th, 2011, 07:50 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuki View Post
The best explanation of the result of this trial that I've heard.... is that jurors are confused. They don't understand the difference between "beyond a reasonable doubt" and "beyond any doubt".
In all 50 United States, no person can be convicted of first degree murder without evidence of premeditation. The prosecution showed no evidence of that.

Nobody likes the defendant. But not liking somebody isn't a factor in hanging them, at least not in America.
Old July 6th, 2011, 09:58 PM
Admiral

She fits the bill!
Sociopath; a person afflicted with a personality disorder characterized by a tendency to commit antisocial and sometimes violent acts and a failure to feel guilt for such acts .

~Robin~

Need some cruise help?

Carnival - Fantasy 1998
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014
Old July 6th, 2011, 10:02 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev22:17 View Post
Aerogirl,

What linked the defendant to that strand of hair?

The vehicle apparently did not belong to the defendant, and the defendant apparently was not the only person who had used the vehicle during the relevant period of time.

Norm.
Who else used it, I really don't know alot about the trial and what was said. I thought the car was her's?

~Robin~

Need some cruise help?

Carnival - Fantasy 1998
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014
Old July 7th, 2011, 03:28 AM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

There was no forensic or physical evidence tying Casey Anthony to the crime. Do I think she is guilty, probably. Did the prosecution prove it....Hell No!!!!!!! The autopsy done on Caylee could not determine the cause of death....and no fingerprints or DNA or other physical evidence was found on her or the duct tape found on her. If you can't prove the cause of death, how can you convict someone of murder or manslaughter?

I think the way the media (especially Nancy Grace) covered this case from it's beginnings in 2008 was a disgrace. Nancy Grace tried and convicted Casey from the beginning........the jury heard ONLY the evidence presented at the trial and did not hear all the opinions, commentary and hyperbole of the media.

Is our system perfect? No. But it is the best system out there.
Old July 7th, 2011, 09:29 AM
Admiral

Aidan,

With all due respect, I presume then under your theory, that anyone who wasn't on the jury or did not watch every minute of the trial is not entitled to offer an opinion, which probably includes a lot if not most of us.

By the way, there was evidence of premeditation as Kuki stated. There was duct tape on the the head of the body. While there is always a defense, that in most but certianly not all criminal trials has successfully been easily proven as evidence of premeditation. I have attended trials where evidence much less than that has been accepted by a jury as premediation. Legally, premeditation can occur all the way up to minutes before the life is taken. The jury simply didn't believed the prosecution proved to the this jury's satisfaction beyond a reasonable doubt, that the woman committed the crime. I have yet to hear anyone of the alternates or the one juror that has been interviewed say that the act of taking Caylee's life, was probably not at least aggravated child abuse or manslaughter, only that the jury believed there wasn't enough evidence to prove it.

Todd
Old July 7th, 2011, 02:49 PM
Admiral

maybe the tv show "The Closer" will do a take off on this trial in it's final season
Old July 7th, 2011, 03:03 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Too bad Law & Order, the origianl ripped from the headline show, is off the air.

The madness that will happen next Wednesday, when Casey leaves jail, with all the "stuff" the state has to give back to her.

Nancy Grace is getting lambasted form every corner evn from the woman juror giving interviews yesterday. I can appreciate th victims advocate she is, which started withher fiance being murdered, so she has seem both side of the street.

But, her caustic and bombastic interview style, really lights the fire with all the crazies out there. I wonder how the lawsuits against her, in the Duckett dissapearance, and, consequent suicide of the Mother, which the family said was inflamed by Nancy's interview ended up

She nneds to tone it down a notch. I swear I though Dan Abrahms wanted to smack her a time or two.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old July 7th, 2011, 03:15 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to rayb Send a message via Skype™ to rayb
Default watched

As a by stander with time on my I watched the entire trial including the selection of the jury. I saw and warched each and ever evident the state offered.

With saying that, and if I was on the jury, I would have find Casy NOT GUILTY. The State did NOT prove---

HOW

WHEN

WHERE

AND WHY.

The evedence did prove beyond a reasonal doubt the above factors.

IMHO she had something to do with Caylee's death, but the jury did the proper thing.

Cruising on Ruby Princess: September 22, 2015. 10 Days, From New York to Quebec City. My 98th Cruise!