Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 19th, 2011, 12:19 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip
Default Guilty as charged?

Here is a link to an interesting article about what we all do to drive each other crazy in the skies. Here is one part about what bugs the flight attendants..How many are you guilty of?

http://travel.usatoday.com/flights/story/2011/07/Courtesy-in-the-skies-is-gone-frequent-fliers-say/49492738/1?loc=interstitialskip

Flight attendants’ Top 10 pet peeves
Travelers can irk flight crews, too. Here — from members of the Association of Professional Flight Attendants union, which represents nearly 18,000 American Airlines flight attendants — are 10 ways:
•Walking around the aircraft without shoes, especially in the lavatory.

•Changing a diaper in the seat or on the tray table. Give me the vomit bag please.

•Clipping fingernails and toenails on the aircraft.The man next to me once, didn't clip, but cleaned I should have yelled in his ear.

•Keeping headphones on when you start talking to attendants. Nope, not moi!

•Speaking in a condescending and angry tone when it's not appropriate.Maybe a tad when hot tea was spilled on me, in the worst spot possibleI will say slightly upset

•Hanging arms or legs out in the aisle when the food and beverage cart is coming. Since I need an aisle seat, I pay particular attention to the carts.
•Standing in the galley and restroom areas to stretch and do exercises. I do need to walk, when the aisles are clear.

•Keeping electronic devices on after the announcement has been made to turn them off. One on my flight from Europe..was reading my Kindle and thought it was a regular book

•Bringing stinky food on the plane.Alrighty then..no more stuffed cabbage or chopped liver

•Carrying on a bag you can't lift into the overhead bin.
This I will admit to..my bad!

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Last edited by Trip; July 19th, 2011 at 05:30 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old July 19th, 2011, 05:26 PM
Admiral

Linda,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Your Link View Post
•Changing a diaper in the seat or on the tray table.
Unfortunately, I have witnessed this. If you must change your child's diaper, please go to the lavatory to do so! I really don't want to watch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Your Link
•Keeping headphones on when you start talking to attendants.
That's the same rudeness as yapping on the cell phone in the checkout lane while the cashier is ringing up one's purchase. When I see it, I want to rip the cell phone out of the other customer's hand and hurl it across the store, hoping that it will land an open container of something very gooey -- especially when I'm stuck behind the person and the cashier is waiting for him or her to answer a question.

Quote:
•Hanging arms or legs out in the aisle when the food and beverage cart is coming.
This happens because the airlines install seats that are far too narrow. If the seats were of adequate width, the overwhelming majority passengers would not hang over. (Of course, the planes also would have a lot fewer seats.)

Quote:
•Standing in the galley and restroom areas to stretch and do exercises.
Unfortunately, there is nowhere else to stand when one needs to stretch on most commercial aircraft.

Quote:
Flight attendants should expect that passengers who are not tall enough to reach the overhead bins will need assistance stowing and retrieving their carry-on items, and should be prepared to provide it. Thus, I have very little sympathy for this one. It comes from flight attendants who don't want to do their jobs.

(And no, Linda, the problem is NOT that you are too short. In fact, you are exactly the perfect height. If you were any shorter, you would be walking around with your knees bent -- which would be most uncomfortable, especially if you wer to do so for more than a few minutes. And if you were any higher, your legs would not reach the floor so you would have difficulty gaining traction in order to walk.)

The flight attendants also should ensure that passengers who board first stow their carry-on items in the bins near their own seats so that passengers seated in front of them don't have to store carry-on items at the back of the plane, and thus don't have to go against traffic to recover carry-on items before deplaning. But that's a passenger peeve rather than a flight attendant peeve.

Norm.
Old July 19th, 2011, 05:38 PM
Admiral

Just the recliner problem really....
Old July 19th, 2011, 06:36 PM
Admiral

On the charges listed, I am not guilty - boring really.

Annie
Old July 19th, 2011, 06:44 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Gosh, I am sure some of these flight attendants have some stories to tell....makes you wonder....

Message Boards Moderator
Old July 19th, 2011, 08:00 PM
Cruise Maniac

OK, I have changed a diaper on the seat...there really isn't any where to lay an infant to change them in the small lavatories. In my defense it was only wet, I used my own portable changing pad and I did ask the lady in the third seat if she minded - which she did not. On a 3 hour flight you do what you have to!
Old July 20th, 2011, 01:07 PM
Admiral

Angry Flight attendant gripes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
Here is a link to an interesting article about what we all do to drive each other crazy in the skies. Here is one part about what bugs the flight attendants..How many are you guilty of?

Flight attendants’ Top 10 pet peeves
Travelers can irk flight crews, too. Here — from members of the Association of Professional Flight Attendants union, which represents nearly 18,000 American Airlines[/URL] flight attendants — are 10 ways:
Well, first of all, the flight attendant is PAID to take care of me and the other passengers. Many of these are things that are practically necessary in today's airplanes with minimal comforts. The flight attendant is supposed to make me MORE comfortable, not expect me to cater to her.

Quote:
•Walking around the aircraft without shoes, especially in the lavatory.
Especially on long flights, many passengers take their shoes off for comfort. What are we supposed to do, contort ourselves in our seat to put them on, go to the lavatory, and then contort again to take them off? Hopefully those of us who do this have special socks suitable for walking in. Some airlines like QANTAS furnish them.

Quote:
•Changing a diaper in the seat or on the tray table.
Well, as a passenger I probably wouldn't like that. If a flight attendant sees it, how about offering to assist?[/quote]

Quote:
•Keeping headphones on when you start talking to attendants.
What? What is the problem here? Take headphones off, get the cord wrapped around, drop them on the floor, have to pull the cord to get them back on ... just slip it off one ear.

Quote:
•Speaking in a condescending and angry tone when it's not appropriate.
Well probably the attendant doesn't think it is appropriate to get upset at being ignored. I do.

Quote:
•Hanging arms or legs out in the aisle when the food and beverage cart is coming.
Well, one of my pet peeves is attendants who push the cart down the aisle without looking out for arms or legs that might be in the aisle, especially sleeping passengers.

Quote:
•Standing in the galley and restroom areas to stretch and do exercises.
This one really upsets me. I am required by my doctor to do leg exercises for my artificial knees, to prevent blood clots. Where are I supposed to do them? Aisles are shared space, as far as I am concerned and I am entitled to my share.

Quote:
•Bringing stinky food on the plane.
Well one persons delectable is another person's stinky. My DW is Italian and likes her garlic. Again, a seatmate might object, but why is a flight attendant entitled to complain?

Quote:
Now this one really upsets me. They are there to ASSIST me! Medical requirements mean I have a fairly heavy bag, and tendonitis in the shoulder means I can't lift it. Most often another passenger is helpful instead of the unhelpful attendant. Also the airline's baggage policies actually encourage, practically force, large carry ons so it is their own problem.

As you can see I don't think very much of flight attendants crying about the requirements of their job. If they think the passengers are just a nuisance and helping them is a pet peeve, they are in the wrong line of work. Too bad they don't work for tips like waitresses do. Maybe they would get a message about miserable service.

Check out our reviews and pics of our 41 cruises at
http://www.bully4.us/cruising.html
Old July 20th, 2011, 05:09 PM
Admiral

Mike,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You View Post
Well, first of all, the flight attendant is PAID to take care of me and the other passengers.
Legally, the flight attendants' primary responsibility is safety rather than passenger comfort. This means that it's the flight attendant's duty to ensure that luggage is properly stowed, that passengers take their seats and fasten their seat belts when the seat belt light is on, that passengers turn off electronic devices and bring their seat backs to the upright position for takeoff and landing, to ensure that food service items are collected and that the galley is properly secured for takeoff and landing and during severe turbulence, to ensure that passengers seated in exit rows appear to be capable of operating the emergency exits and know how to do so, to ensure that the escape raft/slides are set to inflate automatically when the boarding doors get closed before departure and released before the boarding doors get opened upon arrival, to conduct preflight safety briefings, provide or arrange emergency medical assistance in flight if required, etc. Anything else that flight attendants do, including meal service in flight, is, by law, subordinate to and not to interfere with their duties that pertain to safety.

Of course, the general responsibility for "safety" does encompass stopping behavior that might pose a danger to other passengers or that is likely to lead to an altercation in flight. In principle, this would include stopping a passenger from changing an infant's diaper in view of other passengers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
As you can see I don't think very much of flight attendants crying about the requirements of their job. If they think the passengers are just a nuisance and helping them is a pet peeve, they are in the wrong line of work. Too bad they don't work for tips like waitresses do. Maybe they would get a message about miserable service.
I agree in principle with your point. An employee contractually agrees to do a certain job for an employer, and the employer agrees to provide that employee with a certain salary or wage and a certain package of benefits in exchange for that service. Most jobs do entail some tasks that are less pleasant than others, but the less pleasant tasks are part of what one signs up to do.

That said, I think that the only complaint on the list that falls into this category is the complaint about having to assist passengers in stowing carry-on luggage.

Norm.