Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 21st, 2011, 05:50 PM
Admiral

Default Car, Truck or SUV ?

I'm beginning to think I'm more of a hot rodder than I realized, love the new SUV but it’s not like my Impala. I really zipped around it that baby, the SUV moves but makes me feel a little old. I’m sure I’ll adjust as well as slow down. I'm kind of missing my car but I'm sure that will change it's just a matter of adjusting.
Are you a car or truck or SUV person?

Home is where you park your flip flops

~Robin~

Need some cruise help?

Carnival - Fantasy 1998
RCCL - Majesty of the Sea 2000
Carnival - Inspiration 2009
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014
Sponsored Links
Old July 21st, 2011, 06:19 PM
Admiral

None of the above - not essential.
Old July 21st, 2011, 06:32 PM
Administrator
Admiral

We have a Camry and a Suburban. The Camry is the car that gets the most use but the Suburban is used in the winter and for things like hauling, pulling the boat or when we need to have six or eight people in the car.

We will probably go with a smaller SUV 4x4 or AWD when the Camry runs its life cycle. It's only four years old but already has 90,000. When Betty retires next year the mileage we put on the vehicles will drop. The Suburban is four years old and I've only put 21,000 on it since I purchasing.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old July 21st, 2011, 06:45 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Here in the midwest, it is almost necessary to drive an SUV, with all the miles I have to drive to work, would be hard not to drive one. I love my RX 350, handles well, has decent pick-up and is excellent in the snow, the 4 wheel drive does come in handy with large snow falls...

Aerogirl, I think this next winter you will really appreciate having your new vehicle...Enjoy!

Message Boards Moderator
Old July 21st, 2011, 06:49 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I'm a a car kinda gal..but, would wilingly drive an suv...a smaller one. I have driven a big GMC Jimmy,and a humongus Toronado, so I can drive em big, but a truck isn't me

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old July 21st, 2011, 07:07 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna View Post
Here in the midwest, it is almost necessary to drive an SUV, with all the miles I have to drive to work, would be hard not to drive one. I love my RX 350, handles well, has decent pick-up and is excellent in the snow, the 4 wheel drive does come in handy with large snow falls...

Aerogirl, I think this next winter you will really appreciate having your new vehicle...Enjoy!
I'll take you RX 350, that real nice! I'm sure I'll settle in with it and Iím sure when old man winter comes I'll be very happy to have it. I do like sitting up higher thatís for sure. I know itís just a matter of adjustment. I never was never big on change.

~Robin~

Need some cruise help?

Carnival - Fantasy 1998
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014
Old July 21st, 2011, 07:08 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by anniegb View Post
None of the above - not essential.
Don't drive?

~Robin~

Need some cruise help?

Carnival - Fantasy 1998
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014
Old July 21st, 2011, 07:11 PM
Captain

We haven't had a car since 1990-then's when we got our first van. We'd just bought a place in Florida and needed something big to haul all our "stuff" back and forth. We liked it so much we got 3 more after that-like being up a little higher and much easier to enter and exit. Now that we no longer make the trek south, we downsized to a small SUV-a Ford Escape. Now, when I get in a car, I feel like I'm sitting on the road!
Horizon 2000
Summit 2001
Sovereign of the Seas 2003
Noordam 2003
Zenith 2004
Mercury 2005
Princess Sun 2006
Princess Sea 2007
Constellation 2008
Mercury 2009
Constellation 2010

Celebrity Silhouette
Old July 21st, 2011, 09:12 PM
Admiral

For me a car (2003 Impala) and hubby a truck. We had hada Prism but it got too hard for me to get in and out of so we bought the Impala. Then a couple of years ago decided to give the Prism to our oldest grandson, as he needed a car and we did not need 3 vehicles.

Guadeloupe Accommodations

Star Princess 2005, Sun Princess 2005
Caribbean Princess 2006, MSC Lirica 2006 , NCL Pearl 2007, Majesty of the Seas 2008, Carnival Destiny 2008, MSC Lirica 2009, Carnival Valor 2009,Carnival Legend 2010, Carnival Liberty 2010,Carnival Fantsay 2011,Carnival Valor Feb 2012, MSC Poesia Dec 2012, MSC Poesia April 2013, Carnival Legend Nov 2013, MSC DIVINA Jan 2014
Old July 21st, 2011, 11:23 PM
Admiral

An suv for me,,,,I have a Chevy trailblazer with 160,000 miles on it,,,and it's still going strong. I also just bought a jeep wrangler,,,which I absolutely LOVE !!!! Dh has a Ford pickup 4x4 and we also have 2 ford van work trucks,,,Oh,,almost forgot,,,, we do have a car too,,,as 1973 Corvette,,,but it sits in the garage most of the time,,,,

"Attitude is determined by latitude"

Geoff Peterson for President.
Old July 22nd, 2011, 01:34 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

I drove an SUV for quite awhile, but 10 years ago when my mid-life crisis began I got a Chevy Camaro convertible 35th anniversary edition (which was the last year with a nice design.... before they introduced the new versions). I still drive that car, even in the winter, when I put four snow tires on it. Yes, I know, a convertible in this country doesn't make that much sense

Mrs. Kuki drives a little Ford Escape that she loves. I'd rather jump in my car and put the pedal to the metal.
Old July 22nd, 2011, 02:13 AM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

I have a 1999 Pontiac Bonneville that has about 90,000 miles on it. I LOVE this car!!!!! SUV's are hard for me to get into, and I really don't like the smaller cars. Give me a full size car any day!
Old July 22nd, 2011, 04:25 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

Mini van for me. I really love this car. I have a 2003 Dodge Grand Caravan that I bought to move to Florida in 2007. Although I have been looking at the Chevy Cruze for the future. Recently when I was getting a new insurance policy on the car the agent asked how I kept such a good driving record. I told him "the cops aren't looking at the old lady in the minivan"

Laura
ďTwenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didnít do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.ď
---Mark Twain

Old July 22nd, 2011, 11:21 AM
Admiral

I have the solution for yo Aerogirl .... I drive my SUV like its a sports car .... and it works for me

I am small, so I love the height and perspective that I get in my SUV. I'm a waaaaay better driver in my SUV than in DH's car. I know its not the most energy efficient car out there, .... but I can afford to gas it up ... plus it came with all the green low emission stickers on it. It's 7 years old now .... and I take for my bi-annual emission tests without worry.

We use it for road trips and for work .... and are grateful for the extra space. Now if I could just get the car seats out of the back .... then my SUV would actually be able to sit 5 people instead of 4. The kids are ready now for boosters, but I prefer to keep them safe in their car seats.

Royal Oasis of the Seas - 2013 {pending}
Disney Fantasy - 2013
Disney Dream - 2012
Royal Freedom of the Seas - 2011
HAL Eurodam - 2011
Royal Grandeur of the Seas - 2010
Carnival Dream - 2010
Grand Princess - 2002
Royal Voyageur of the Seas - 2000
Royal Sovereign of the Seas - 1999
Carnival Ecstacy - 1991
Old July 22nd, 2011, 12:22 PM
Admiral

We've actually got 3 vehicles. I drive my little 2002 Honda Accord VP, which has no power windows, door locks, or cruise control, but like the country song says, "ain't nothing wrong with the radio". That car has 165,000 miles, and is absolutely reliable. I have a 2002 Toyota Tundra pick-up that has 130,000 miles, and it too is ultra reliable. I used to drive it to work every day, but since I'm retired, it gets only 750 miles A YEAR now. The lovely Mrs. Jones (Vita) drives her 2008 Honda Accord EXL/N V6, which only has 19,000 miles. That's our "drive to the port" vehicle, and her day to day vehicle. As you can see, it gets very few miles, and should last us at least another 30 years. Depending on my "employment situation" I'll probably sell the '02 Honda, and just drive the truck around here. Needless to say, however, the '02 Honda does get far better fuel economy than the Toyota truck.

"SKY"
Old July 22nd, 2011, 12:44 PM
Cruise Maniac

I drive a Toyota Sienna. With 4 kids a mini-van is a must! Plus it get decent gas mileage. My husband has a Honda Civic Hybrid. He does a lot of driving for work, so we had to trade in his F150 which was KILLING us and get him something that got better mileage...and we LOVE it! He also has a 2001 Toyota Tundra which we offered our 17 y.o....but she refuses to learn to drive a 5-speed...so she walks!
Old July 22nd, 2011, 12:56 PM
Admiral

Right now I am driving a Jeep Liberty. I bought it because it's great in the snow and it will go thru anything.
we had a Ford Taurus with over 250,000 miles that I gave to a friend that needed transportation to work.
I plan to buy a new vehicle fairly soon ( a crossover) and keep the jeep as my beach vehicle in Florida.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013
Booked Allure of the Seas....12/27/2015
Old July 22nd, 2011, 06:44 PM
Admiral

Aerogirl,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You View Post
I'm beginning to think I'm more of a hot rodder than I realized, love the new SUV but itís not like my Impala. I really zipped around it that baby, the SUV moves but makes me feel a little old. Iím sure Iíll adjust as well as slow down. I'm kind of missing my car but I'm sure that will change it's just a matter of adjusting.
Are you a car or truck or SUV person?
My last two vehicles were a 1985 Chrysler Fifth Avenue sedan and a 1992 Chrysler New Yorker Fifth Avenue "stretch" sedan. Unfortunately, when the latter was in an accident in the spring of 2005, I could not get a similar vehicle with a real spare tire so I bought a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited.

I must say that I'm very favorably impressed by the performance and handling of the Grand Cherokee. It is extremely nimble and stable (it does have the dynamic vehicle stability system...), and plenty of power (yes, it really needs the four wheel drive!). Basically, this Jeep drives like a high end sports car!

Norm.
Old July 23rd, 2011, 08:28 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

I have a 2008 Mustang. It's a five speed, and hates being in town. I swear it goes 5 miles and hour just sitting at a stop light.

Jim has a 2008 F-150 which drives so good.

Josh has my old Ford Taurus. It's a 2003 and still drives as well as it did when new.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old July 23rd, 2011, 09:28 AM
Admiral

Luanne...I can see you in your Mustang..I drive a 2003 VW Beetle which is unique in itself..waiting for my birthday present in September with the 21st Century VW Beetle

Luanne..I owned a 1964 1/2 Ford Mustang ragtop (forrest green, 3 speed on the floor) it was the greatest mechanical piece of crap ever, but boy did it attract the girls:evil::evil: seriously considered a new Mustang ragtop 5 speed stick and when the 21st Century VW Beetle arrives if I don't like the way it looks (pictures are so deceiving), I'm cancelling my order and going across the street to the Ford dealer and getting a Black Mustang ragtop 5 speed and taking my good looking female single neighbor for a ride with the top down after Church on Sunday with Down To The Bone blaring on my Bose soundsystem
Old July 23rd, 2011, 10:49 AM
Admiral

Venice, I thought about getting a rag top, but they tend to leak after awhile.

I see in my future that one day I will no longer be able to switch gears, so one day I will have to pass it on to someone else. FYI it only has 8,000 miles on it.

Yes, I have been out on the open road with it, and was able to get it up to 100 miles an hour. I know that will shock others, but even this old lady feels the need for speed.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Old July 23rd, 2011, 12:18 PM
Admiral

Luanne..you go girl I know what you mean about not being able to shift gears as one gets older (plus I had the back operation)..that's why the practical side of me says to get the VW CC instead of the Beetle or Mustang..or else have my grandson chauffer me around in the Beetle8)8) whenever I see a 4 door sedan it reminds me of Ward Cleaver in Leave It To Beaver
Old July 23rd, 2011, 12:24 PM
Captain

Send a message via AIM to fun2cruiz

For us, SUV's have become the norm for the past 8 or 9 years and we currently have a 2010 GMC Acadia that we love ! Probably the most comfortable and good driving SUV we have owned without being that large to manuver around in traffic, but sure makes you feel safe when seeing sall of these other small vehicles on the road !

For the "Pony" Lovers..... I also own 3 Mustangs... a 2003 Mach1 (very fast), 1973 Convertible (was the car my bride of 25 years and I had our first date in, so I don't see it being sold anytime soon !) and a 1968 hard vinyl roof top (same as the car my mother had when I was young and was purchased in her memory), all of which come out of their corral every once in a while for a short road trip to put some time on the engines and tires and an occasional fill up ! They mainly come out and drive in parades when requested, and attend car shows and come home with some nice trophies many times.

"January"
Blizzard Flavored Treat & Cake Of The Month
"Strawberry CheeseQuake"
Old July 23rd, 2011, 12:40 PM
Admiral

The Big 3 automakers are cashing in on the fact that the Baby Boomer generation is now entering retirement with 401K 's to spend (and AARP lower auto premiums) and bringing back the cars of our youths that we either owned or wanted to own (of course I was the only kid in high school with a 63 VW Beetle always wanted a 1965 Pontiac GTO)..when you see a new Mustang, Camero, Charger or Vette at the gas station more then likely the owner is over 59 then 19

now one is screaming to bring back the 1964 Plymouth Fury or 1961 Nash Rambler (well maybe Kuki) or the 1966 Ford Country Squire stationwagon with the fake wood side panels

I'm still trying to figure out how I made out with my GF in the back of my 63 beetle...oh yea, NOW I remember :::: looking forward to trying the same thing in the 2012 beetle (now if I could just find the same GF :::
Old July 23rd, 2011, 02:04 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luanne Russo View Post
Yes, I have been out on the open road with it, and was able to get it up to 100 miles an hour. I know that will shock others, but even this old lady feels the need for speed.
That brings back memories. I had a 1987 mustang for a few years. I had it clocked out at 151 MPH.
Eventually I had to get rid of it butit sure was a lot of fun.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013
Booked Allure of the Seas....12/27/2015
Old July 23rd, 2011, 02:22 PM
Admiral

It is a lot of fun. You can feel the power, and it's like a tiger that wants to run fast, and be free.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Old July 23rd, 2011, 03:46 PM
Admiral

Luanne..just for the heck of it, go test drive a 2011 Mustang..pretty awesome machine and alot different then your 2008
Old July 23rd, 2011, 04:47 PM
Admiral

I might just do that.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Old July 23rd, 2011, 06:01 PM
Admiral

Luanne..before you go, purchase "The Best of Wilson Pickett" cd and play the" Mustang Sally" track very loud when you test drive
Old July 23rd, 2011, 09:58 PM
Admiral

I drive a 2004 Yukon XL Denali. This machine does everything. Bought it new, still runs great. Fully loaded. I don't do a lot of driving it has 69,000 mi. DW drives 2011 Lexus ES 350. SUV for me and a car for the wife.