Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 8th, 2012, 07:39 AM
First Mate

Default Non-Cruise Vacations

My family and I are getting ready for a camping trip next week. 5 days in the middle of nowhere with the basics. I love it!

My top 2 types of vacations would be Cruising, then Camping. So funny how different they are...

Other than cruising, what types of vacations do you like to take?

Also, If you like to camp... any good meal ideas? I am interested since you are from all over, if you have some new ideas!! Thanks!!

Golden Princess 9/8/2012
Carnival Elation 11/02/2009
Carnival Pride 04/24/2006
Carnival Pride 05/23/2004
Carnival Elation (I think) 1999
Sponsored Links
Old April 8th, 2012, 08:50 AM
Administrator
Admiral

I enjoy hunting and fishing trips, resort vacations, All Inclusive and Land Cruises. I used to camp but the old body no longer enjoys sleeping in a tent and I can't justify the cost/benefit of a motor home or travel trailer.

When my wife retires in June we already have four months of travel planned from June through December. It includes; Cruises, land cruises, hunting and fishing and visiting relatives in foreign countries.

I just love to travel.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old April 8th, 2012, 08:52 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I like to mix it up, one year a cruise, the next a fishing trip in Northern Wis...Actually thinking about doing a Disney World trip at some point soon too. I love cruising, but there are also other vacations worth taking...

Message Boards Moderator
Old April 8th, 2012, 09:08 AM
Captain

The last time I had gone camping was in the summer of 2003. We were sitting on some beach and friends of ours were going on a cruise. We literally called her TA and put a deposit down. 6 months later we did our first cruise and I've never looked back. Anybody want to buy some gently used camping equipment
Inspiration -09/05
Mariner-05/06 & 10/09
Century-01/07
Crown-04/07
Liberty-11/07
Explorer-08/08
Insignia-11/08
Destiny-07/09
Oasis Inaugural Cruise-12/09
Monarch-03/10 & 07/10
Equinox-08/10
Freedom-02/2012
Mariner; RSS- 10/12
Jewel-12/12 b2b
Independence-12/13
Enchantment- 01/14
Legend-TA- 04/14

Booked:Freedom OTS 10/14
Booked:Solstice Alaska; 09/15

Old April 8th, 2012, 09:33 AM
Admiral

Talking Non-Cruise vacations?

Well, our major non-cruise vacations have been land tours with Globus -- we go from stop to stop, just spend the day sitting on a bus instead of wandering around a luxury ship! We use those tours to get to places we can't get to from a cruise ship like:

ABU SIMBEL
and
DJEEMA EL FNA IN MARAKESH

We did a 5 day independent pre cruise in Iceland once

And we sometimes take city breaks for a few days, like New Orleans or Boston:

Years ago our hobby was showing bulldogs. We would pack ourselves, our daughter, and three bulldogs in to a VW camper van and spend the weekend camping at a fairgrounds someplace in California. Not our thing today. If there is not a Main Dining Room and a room steward, we don't go.

Check out our reviews and pics of our 41 cruises at
http://www.bully4.us/cruising.html
Old April 8th, 2012, 09:51 AM
Admiral

I have enjoyed visiting Historic places in Europe and I like to visit Vegas once in a while.
Next year we will be doing a land vacation in Hawaii.
I like to cruise as well, but there are places that I need to spend more time visiting. Most cruises don't give much time to visit the ports where they stop.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old April 8th, 2012, 10:28 AM
Admiral

We like to drive to historical sites .We plan on doing a lot of this between May and August this year.
Old April 8th, 2012, 11:06 AM
Admiral

I've never really counted, but I imagine that less than half of our travel is on ships. We enjoy land travel very much, both domestic and foreign. As somebody pointed out, there are huge chunks of this magnificent world that aren't close to a deepwater port.

We started all this when we were young. We both had jobs that involved travel both in the States and overseas. When it made sense, and when we could arrange the logistics, we sometimes piggybacked each other on these excursions, taking some time at the end of the work assignment to visit the area. Once, Terry finished up a trade mission in Lisbon on her birthday. I arrived that morning and we got to celebrate her birthday that evening, then spend a week or so seeing Lisbon and the Algarve. Another time, when I was shooting a film in central France, she arrived for the last few days of the shoot and we spent the following week driving through the Loire Valley.

It was the same with pure vacations. We always seemed to have grandparents and/or friends ready to look after the kids, and we just ranged far and wide. When the kids got old enough, we often took them with us.

Now that we're retired, there are even fewer restraints. Nowadays a lot of our travel is involved with visiting family and friends. In fact, on eight of our last ten land trips we've visited friends for all or part of the time, in places like England, Bulgaria, France, South Africa, California, Vegas, and Branson, MO. Plus the kids live in New York, and we frequently run up there to visit. The calendar is pretty full. We place a high premium on seeing great places and visiting with people we know and love at the same time.

These days, we're doing some targeted traveling to do family history research, which I began about a year ago and which has become a passion. We're taking a TA in a couple weeks, and when we get to Southampton we fly directly back across to Guernsey to research one branch of my mother's side of the family. The delightful head librarian at the Priaulx Library on Guernsey promises to have the things I'll need ready for me when I arrive. What's more, putting the family tree online has led me to a cousin in Australia that I never knew I had--in fact a whole branch of the family in Adelaide. So there's a "to do" pin in the map for that now too.

Onward.
Old April 8th, 2012, 11:28 AM
Admiral

Last night I was conversing with one of my son-in-laws .He remarked that he was leaving soon for a business trip to Brazil and in a few months going to England on business .

I remarked that the furthest I ever went on a business trip was to Pennsylvania .
Mrs.Henry43 and I have been to 27 US states ,nearly every province in Canada ,to 11 Caribbean Islands ,Central America and South America but have never been to Europe.